• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 1 year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleepey

Because you don't need to know that Doomsday grows his own spikes to assume that it's a bad idea to go near him in a weakened state.

Well, that'd be one explanation for your posts.

You're the one advocating for him in his weakened state to hold the lasso/ let doomsday loose so he can give the spear to Wonder Woman . Also I could get blind drunk and type a more succinct arguement with my feet than some of the shit you've spewed.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Finally had the time and motivation to check up on that BvS review thread ....... and oh boy! as the place of origin of the Sad Affleck meme and those surprisingly high-quality Chris Evans laughing gif which traveled around the interwebz, i could only imagine how many tickets that thread cost WB.

And as a bruised Supes fan, for me that thread would have been the worst place to go through the 5 stages of grief. I mean, i absolutely loathe BvS especially now but the fanboy in me would probably be compelled to defend it during the time when it was released.

Eh I've stated with pretty much every post that it's not a great movie, full of flaws but not without merits too. I tend to be into constructive criticism, i.e. armchair screenwriting, more than I am into writing a criticism striving for new heights (depths) in snark.

People polarize and tribalize, attack Marvel movies in response as if they are also without both flaws and merits. And in truth absolutely none of them are Shakespeare, and regardless of what Rotten Tomatoes says they probably land in a similar place taken on the range of every possible experience you could have in cinema.

The thing that can't really be argued is that all the extra weight and scrutiny, and skepticism, about WB's plans for the DC's properties began when they announced their upcoming slate and Justice League was listed on it way sooner than expected. And all the skepticism and advance disappointment for BvS tripled as soon as that second trailer revealed Doomsday.

The irony is that most disappointed DC fans actually wanted more of what they were making. Another Superman movie to set up Lex Sr/Jr better, and to cement the perception of Kal El as a hero outside of the Battle of Metropolis and some montage sequences. A Doomsday story arc/Death of Superman story arc that isn't an abbreviated third act hail mary. A Flash movie first maybe. One of the biggest gripes about Suicide Squad was the roll call introduction, rushed, stylish, devoid of actual character...

People seem more excited about the GL Corps movie. More concerned about how the Batman will be produced and by whom. More interested to see if Wonder Woman is solid. The rush for "superhero team up" money to me-too Avengers revenue created too wide a stride for BvS to bridge us into Justice League and also be a great movie. Anticipation for the Justice League movie is not where it could have been if the lead up had been longer, allowing for more individual lead-up movies, crafted with more care.

This is the real reason why the constant comparison to Marvel Studios' work comes up. Because each of the studios came up with contrasting plans to launch their superhero team-up movies, but one of them is clearly accellerated to play catch-up and the movies are suffering for it.

You clearly have the cart before the horse in a cinematic world where the first person to use Kryptonite on Superman, is, in fact, Batman.

Veelk

Banned
You're the one advocating for him in his weakened state to hold the lasso/ let doomsday loose so he can give the spear to Wonder Woman .

I would think "giving a spear" is an easier task to do while weakened than wrestling with doomsday while weakened. If he is strong enough to overpower and pierce Doomsday while weakened, he can hold a fucking rope. Besides, he recovers fast once he's out of the proximity of kryponite.

Also I could get blind drunk and type a more succinct arguement with my feet than some of the shit you've spewed.

Prove it.

BadAss2961

Another Batman v Superman thread that is turned into a Veelk-Bleepy debate that will go on endlessly
Veelk threw me off when I found out he's a total 180 when it comes to Marvel. Couldn't figure how he'd enjoy anything with the way i've seen him dissect every fiber of Man of Steel. Used to fuck with his posts back in those days. Fun times, Veelk.

But yeah, I can't bother much with the lengthy debate portions of these CBM threads anymore. lol

Arjayes

Banned
I certainly did not read this entire thread but I want to point out that in the ending he didn't "wrestle with Doomsday". He flew the spear into his chest and used one of his spikes to pull him closer/push the spear in deeper. That is definitely not the same amount of required strength to hold Doomsday with a rope so I'm going to have to say your defense was weak on that one. He can't hold the rope in his weakened state.

Veelk

Banned
Veelk threw me off when I found out he's a total 180 when it comes to Marvel. Couldn't figure how he'd enjoy anything with the way i've seen him dissect every fiber of Man of Steel. Used to fuck with his posts back in those days. Fun times, Veelk.

I can be critical of Marvel, if you're trying to imply I'm not, it's just that the mistakes that marvel makes are never disastrous to their films. And usually, I don't see arguments that try to depict Marvel as flawless, so there's rarely a need for me to go "But what about this flaw, and this, and this".

I mean, that's the big difference between Marvel and DC as a whole imo. Whatever you can say about Marvel, they know how to do the meat and potatoes business of storytelling of making a character, giving them an arc, and pace their movies appropriately with their formula. You can say the formula has gotten stale, but it can only get stale if it was fresh at one point to begin with.

If you want to see more serious mistakes in a marvel property, the second half of Luke Cage and the whole of Iron Fist are better examples than any of their movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom