• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 1 year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

Even in that extracted segment, there are references to the other Superman movies, and Marvel, and X-men.

And your general argument is still relative to the typical depiction of Superman. How it's a darker interpretation of Superman, more grounded, you reference a comic writers opinion of him... again, this is all going outside of the movie itself. There's very little of this write up that actually just talks about purely the movie itself.

Your kind of asking for something I don't think I've personally seen done when it comes to a series of comic book movies. If I understand what you're saying you mean to suggest you can do say "Bruce Wayne/Batman is compelling in the Dark Knight Rises because..." without referencing any other media of Batman up to and including Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Or say something like Civil War without including any previous information about Stark or Rogers given from their previous appearances be it in the movies or comics.

I'd love to see it and I mean that. I'm not at all being sarcastic so if you're willing to go for it I would be very interested in reading it.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Even in that extracted segment, there are references to the other Superman movies, and Marvel, and X-men.

Okay dude just read the first, third, and fifth quote. Apply your gift of selective perception.

I already stated that analyzing the movie as "the origin story of super-powered random unknown guy" is not useful or meaningful. Ever consider there's a reason you haven't been able to find it anywhere? It's because it's a pointless exercise.

And, given this exchange, probably a thankless one, too.

EDIT: Well I stand corrected. But yeah, be the thing you want to see.

Veelk

Banned
Your kind of asking for something I don't think I've personally seen done when it comes to a series of comic book movies. If I understand what you're saying you mean to suggest you can do say "Bruce Wayne/Batman is compelling in the Dark Knight Rises because..." without referencing any other media of Batman up to and including Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Or say something like Civil War without including any previous information about Stark or Rogers given from their previous appearances be it in the movies or comics.

I'd love to see it and I mean that. I'm not at all being sarcastic so if you're willing to go for it I would be very interested in reading it.

It's a little different when it's a literal continuation of a previous storyline. That is something that is, explicitly, supposed to rely on the knowledge of the past episode because it actually happened. Nothing from the comics or animated series or other movies happened in the Snyder verse continuity because...well, that's how we divide up continuities. Sequels are extensions of continuity.

But again, this isn't a continuity issue. To use your examples, Dark Knight Rises sets it's conflict up so that a new person can understand it: Bruce Wayne is a retired Batman whose depressed and seeking a death wish. Civil War reminds us of Tony's parent issues and Steve's attachment to the past, and then demonstrates the destruction shown by the Avengers and the Sokovia accords are introduced.

A viewer whose seen the past segments will get more out of it, but a new viewer will have an idea of whats going on. Similarly, this is actually NOT BvS's problem. It establishes it's conflicts well enough. Superman is viewed as a god while saving people and Batman is a someone who sees potential danger in Superman. We all went and saw and understood (mostly) what was going on.

But the thing is, if you get me talking about Civil War, I have a lot of things I can praise about it's storytelling. I could make a huge write up about the escalating conflict between Tony and Steve, how it gives a fairly unique motivation for the conflict to every character even if they get divided evenly between 2 sides, I can talk about the morality of the story, etc. To give a specific example, lets say Cap's relationship with Bucky. Everyone hates Bucky, including Bucky himself, because he doesn't view that he was mind controlled to be an excuse for what he did and neither does just about anyone else. While Captain America has sound reasons for defying capture, it's also part of his own desperation to save his last connection to his past, since Peggy just died. It's a genuinely shitty position and you can see Steve's uncertainty as he keeps fighting for what he believes is right, but has the cost of having to fight his friends weighing in on him more and more and everyone, including Bucky, keeps telling him it's not worth it. Pitting Steve's inner conflict as him trying to save the relationships he's made in the present while also saving his last past relationship is a genuinely good dramatic set up, which pays off at the end where Tony finally loses it. And there's nothing I need to say about the comic book history of Captain America or even the previous movies (though they would add more definition to what Cap's past actually is to him) to talk about what a good narrative set up that is.

The most I've ever seen for BvS is praising bits and pieces. Batman being a horror movie monster is cool, Alfred is well acted, Wonder woman is boss. But nothing that talks about the narrative structure as a whole, or how different narrative threads tie up into one big movie arc in a nice way, or whatever. And these things are all pretty superficial, side things, rather than internal drama. I'm asking to see a write up praising BvS's characters as characters, the story as a story.

EDIT: Well I stand corrected. But yeah, be the thing you want to see.

I actually have, in past posts. I've analyzed BvS by looking at it's story by itself. Only thing is that it's been pretty much entirely in the negative. For me, BvS is a bad movie BECAUSE the way the story goes doesn't line up properly, for various reasons. I can tell you that I've only gone the "not my superman/batman" route in the extremist of circumstances, and only after all other criticisms were thrown out. I care about stories themselves. What Batman and Superman are on a cultural iconography level is just trivia to me. It's interesting to know, but it doesn't mean anything beyond being an mildly interesting factoid.

Still, just for novelty's sake, I'd like to see what a fan's would come up with trying to make an argument for the movie just using the movie itself. I can't come up with this argument because BvS doesn't line up right for me. But if there is a fan for whom it does, I'd be interested in seeing if they can put together an argument for the films merits without moving outside the film.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
"Bu.. bu.. but Marvel!!"

Seriously, everytime the DC Defense Squad jumps in a thread the same play is played. Has anyone already talked about biased critics?

Cipherr

Lex isn't one of the problems with the movie. At all.

Lex is one of the biggest problems with the movie. From his scattershot motivations to his persona in general which was nigh impossible to take seriously, let alone see as threatening in any fashion.

Yeah, I absolutely was not a fan of that Daffy Duck Luthor.

God its so true. Whatever in the hell they were aiming for with him; they failed spectacularly. Worst Lex ever.

biteren

Man that movie was awful. I watched both theatrical and and extended cut and hated both. The only thing I liked was mad max batman, coolest looking batman ever.

Here's a video I watched on why batman v superman doesn't work theme wise among other things
https://youtu.be/O5DAQlmJ4q0

IconGrist

Still, just for novelty's sake, I'd like to see what a fan's would come up with trying to make an argument for the movie just using the movie itself. I can't come up with this argument because BvS doesn't line up right for me. But if there is a fan for whom it does, I'd be interested in seeing if they can put together an argument for the films merits without moving outside the film.

Just so you know I read everything prior to the portion of your text I quoted. I'm not dismissing it but reading this last bit here did change where I felt the priorities of my response should go.

I firmly believe the merits of Batman v Superman's story or plot or however you want to phrase it has been said on this forum many many times. Sure there have definitely been instances where someone has used information that exists outside of the movie to emphasize some points but that has not always been the case. I've been through every BvS thread that has ever appeared on GAF and read every post regardless of its text size so I feel I can say that definitively. Maybe what you mean to say is you haven't seen the entire story argued for its own merits in one singular post. That is something I can believe. I know you and I have certainly had back and forths regarding specific scenes but never the movie as a whole.

Now the reason I singled out this particular portion of your post above is because of something you said. Specifically this:

I can't come up with this argument because BvS doesn't line up right for me.

I'm curious what your expectations are should someone oblige. And I mean besides giving you something to read so you can turn around say you disagree because it didn't work for you. That part everyone knows so there's got to be a bit more meat to your request.

Link1110

Walked out of the theater knowing that everything it tried to do would be done better next month in civil war. I was right

Veelk

Banned
I'm curious what your expectations are should someone oblige. And I mean besides giving you something to read so you can turn around say you disagree because it didn't work for you. That part everyone knows so there's got to be a bit more meat to your request.
As I said earlier, it's not so much a request for someone to sit down and write it out so much an observation that no one has done so. I guess I can see how saying I'd like to see something like that does sounds like an open request for someone to do so, but I wouldn't really want anyone to write something up they wouldn't want to on their own anyway. Because this isn't really about convincing me of anything. I try to keep an open a mind as possible, but I think everyone has come to their own conclusions about the movie at this point.

But just because an argument fails to convince doesn't mean that it can't be well written, and that's basically why I'm curious to see if it exists. It's simply a rhetorics exercise (for me) to see if a person can actually make a coherent case for the movie itself when you strip away all the extraneous stuff. I probably won't have my feelings on the matter changed, but I can respect a well made argument for its own sake.

But like I said, I'm not requesting anyone sit down and write up anything specifically for me. If they are inclined to, sure. If you have seen a video essay that did this and want to share, link away. I'm just noting the absence and wondering what that implies.

Eidan

"Bu.. bu.. but Marvel!!"

Seriously, everytime the DC Defense Squad jumps in a thread the same play is played. Has anyone already talked about biased critics?
BvS apologists' relationship with Marvel is strangely similar to the GOP's continued fixation on Obama.

Bleepey

BvS apologists' relationship with Marvel is strangely similar to the GOP's continued fixation on Obama.

Nah it's closer to "But her emails" the way DC are criticised for things Marvel get away with. Or how the GOP get away with everything whilst Hilary gets criticism for the most random shit.
Lex's plan whilst convoluted is objectively logical. Zemo's is not.

The Martha scene is shat on but the Bucky scene is ignored. Lex plays an active role in manipulating the protagonists whilst Zemo's plan is predicated on luck and him assuming tensions would increase from conflicting opinions on Sokovia accords, Cap thinking it inconceivable his friend with a history of being a brainwashed assassin would commit mass murder whilst iron man who in previous films was telling the govt to go fuck themselves would cheerlead for the Sokovia accords he'd forget to make a teenager or their guardian sign; and to top it one character is presented as a better Superman for reasons I do not get. Cause first sign of criticism he says fuck you I am Captain America "safest hands are still our own" in this bitch. Meanwhile Superman has a habit of being handcuffed by people who he can destroy without raising a sweat, doesn't like being worshipped as a God, first sign of Kryptonians raising hell he tells people to go inside rather than save a baby and grin like the Joker, goes to senate hearings to defend and himself to account and potentially limit his role in the world; his first course of action is non violence whether it's talking to Batman at a banquet about Batman's role Gotham, trys to speak up against someone he perceives as a fascist bully using the press and speaks up for the ruined lives Batman leaves in his wake. Meanwhile Captain America runs into a grenade that is miles from anyone is seen as brave. yet Superman using a spear to kill Doomsday when Batman is miles away (and human) and Wonder Woman is holding him with her lasso is apparently fucking stupid. But whatever, but Marvel movies or whatever.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
What's interesting to me is that most people who dislike this movie can explain their reasoning, whereas people who like it often can't.

Every other post seems to be:

"I love this movie! The best!"
"I dislike this movie and here's why..."
"Best comic book movie. Better than Civil War."
"The problems apparent in this movie are..."
"So good."
"Here's why this movie isn't very good..."

Or am I only seeing what I want to see?

lol

What's interesting to me is that most people who dislike this movie can explain their reasoning, whereas people who like it often can't.

"So good."

lol

Earth-23's Kal-El is very similar to his mainline universe counterpart except he never left Kansas and dedicates his life to saving citizens from tractor accidents and cow stampedes under the superhero moniker Strawman

Blader

Nah it's closer to "But her emails" the way DC are criticised for things Marvel get away with.

Marvel movies and DC movies tackling similar ideas or plot points or themes, where one gets praised for doing so while the other gets criticized, isn't getting away with something. It literally means that one did a better job of its subject matter than the other did.

Affleck's Daredevil and the Netflix Daredevil are both Daredevil adaptations that cover a lot of the same ground. Yet, the Netflix Daredevil has been widely praised while Affleck's was widely panned. Is Netflix getting away with something here? Did the checks clear in one instance and not the other? OR is the Netflix adaptation just a better execution of a similar character and similar story than the '03 movie was?

It's okay to just like a movie that most people agree wasn't a good one; it's not unusual to like a "bad" movie, or what a majority of viewers have deemed to be a bad movie. You don't need to lay out all these essays and flowcharts to prove to everyone else why it's actually a great movie that most people just don't get. Just accept you like something that most people don't and get on with it.

IconGrist

"So good."

lol

Yes and no. It's a little like that now but it wasn't always. People who like the movie have stated why a few times at this point. Remember, they are the minority. So you're going to see way more people who disliked it.

Veelk

Banned
Marvel movies and DC movies tackling similar ideas or plot points or themes, where one gets praised for doing so while the other gets criticized, isn't getting away with something. It literally means that one did a better job of its subject matter than the other did.

That's one aspect of it, but the real problem is that Bleepey doesn't seem to have the ability to recognize context of any kind. His method of criticism is to find some kind of similarity between the movies that resulted in a different audience reaction, and stick to the idea that difference is evidence of bias. For example:

Captain America runs into a grenade that is miles from anyone is seen as brave. yet Superman using a spear to kill Doomsday when Batman is miles away (and human) and Wonder Woman is holding him with her lasso is apparently fucking stupid.

See, he's trying to draw the idea that both Captain America and Superman are self sacrificing heroes, yet one is praised for while the other gets the logical errors of his sacrifice pointed out.

To Bleepey, it doesn't matter that the Captain America scene is a sort of casual, throwaway, partially comedic scene done as a trick by the scientist to prove that Steve is worthy of receiving the serum to the general, while Superman's is the climactic point of the movie that results in the dire consequences of his death. One is specifically just about demonstrating who the character is, while the other is meant to solve the plot problem. The same action results in different responses because of different contexts. But that doesn't matter, because they're doing vaguely the same thing yet getting different response, therefore bullshit.

And it'd be fine if Bleepey just took this to be his personal perspective of the films, but he's made a persecution complex out of the whole thing and basically refuses to acknowledge others opinions as valid. At this point, I just liken him to a confused homeless man who doesn't understand why he can't masturbate in public. "Oh, but it's perfectly alright when people do it at home, right? Hypocrites"

Bleepey

Affleck's Daredevil and the Netflix Daredevil are both Daredevil adaptations that cover a lot of the same ground. Yet, the Netflix Daredevil has been widely praised while Affleck's was widely panned. Is Netflix getting away with something here? Did the checks clear in one instance and not the other? OR is the Netflix adaptation just a better execution of a similar character and similar story than the '03 movie was?

It's okay to just like a movie that most people agree wasn't a good one; it's not unusual to like a "bad" movie, or what a majority of viewers have deemed to be a bad movie. You don't need to lay out all these essays and flowcharts to prove to everyone else why it's actually a great movie that most people just don't get. Just accept you like something that most people don't and move on with your life.

BVS is a film where one man wrestles with his good intentions hazing unforeseen consequences. He saves his girlfriend and removes a warlord but causes a power vacuum and a massacre. He tries to answer for the events that happen but it leads to further unforeseen consequences and he questions his role in the world. Meanwhile Batman feels said person feels he's at best a potential time bomb and at present a wrecking ball of unintended disasters. They debate their viewpoints about their roles in the world and at the end find their common humanity with each other due to the aggressor realising that someone who only wants to save his mother's life reminds him why he does what he does.

Civil war is about two people who debate their role in the world, one feels he should be above the law because he knows best the other feels guilt cos of collateral damage and should be held to account. Both get their friends two have a big fat, play fight. And then a smaller one because one of them's BFF whilst mind controlled killed the other's mum.

Both have different executions and there's nothing wrong with that. My point is people will go through a movie with a fine-toothed comb to find plot holes for things explained in the film they choose to ignore or real life they think are unrealistic ( people stayed in the towers in 9/11, removing despots can leads to destabilised regions), whilst hand waive or cosign canyon-sized plot holes because they found one movie more witty.

I personally liked the Daredevil movie and it did things that other people say are out of character but for the service of character development. Daredevil never kills but he did in the film as it was part of his character arc to no longer be the bad guy. Batman never kills except he did because it was part of his character arc to see he lost and found his way. Daredevil in the TV series never kills only cos he got lucky. How does he know the person he threw of the building didn't die from interval bleeding in the hospital later on. Whilst the Elektra scene was goofy it wasn't that far removed from what was in Man Without Fear.

IconGrist

One is specifically just about demonstrating who the character is, while the other is meant to solve the plot problem.

This was a bad example. While it's true the scenes have very different contexts they both result in presenting a point that both characters are willing to sacrifice themselves. In Superman's case it was kind of overstated since he did it twice within 5 minutes of each other. You'd have an extremely difficult time convincing me that just because Superman's act of sacrifice "solved a plot problem" it somehow negates the demonstration of his character.

Bleepey

That's one aspect of it, but the real problem is that Bleepey doesn't seem to have the ability to recognize context of any kind. His method of criticism is to find some kind of similarity between the movies that resulted in a different audience reaction, and stick to the idea that difference is evidence of bias. For example:

See, he's trying to draw the idea that both Captain America and Superman are self sacrificing heroes, yet one is praised for while the other gets the logical errors of his sacrifice pointed out.

To Bleepey, it doesn't matter that the Captain America scene is a sort of casual, throwaway, partially comedic scene done as a trick by the scientist to prove that Steve is worthy of receiving the serum to the general, while Superman's is the climactic point of the movie that results in the dire consequences of his death. One is specifically just about demonstrating who the character is, while the other is meant to solve the plot problem. The same action results in different responses because of different contexts. But that doesn't matter, because they're doing vaguely the same thing yet getting different response, therefore bullshit.

And it'd be fine if Bleepey just took this to be his personal perspective of the films, but he's made a persecution complex out of the whole thing and basically refuses to acknowledge others opinions as valid. At this point, I just liken him to a confused homeless man who doesn't understand why he can't masturbate in public. "Oh, but it's perfectly alright when people do it at home, right? Hypocrites"

My point is that, one character is praised for doing something that whilst logical would be the worst course of action, the other character is criticised for doing something that on the surface is logical AS well as best course of action. Context doesn't help your point at all. How does someone's first course of action being to risk his life to save the world not show his character? How do you look at that scene and think "they just wanted to wrap the movie up in a bow". I am not stuck in my own delusion you're just stubbornly in your own. You ask for people to present arguments for a view contrary to your own and then when people do so, your response is "TLDR lol" to paraphrase.

Veelk

Banned
This was a bad example. While it's true the scenes have very different contexts they both result in presenting a point that both characters are willing to sacrifice themselves. In Superman's case it was kind of overstated since he did it twice within 5 minutes of each other. You'd have an extremely difficult time convincing me that just because Superman's act of sacrifice "solved a plot problem" it somehow negates the demonstration of his character.

It is a demonstration of his character (in fact, it's kind hard for any action any character takes to do so), yeah. No one has a problem with him being self sacrificing, he should be that. The point I'm making is that the logical follow through doesn't matter so much in Cap's situation because of the context for multiple reasons. But most of all, the point of the scene is that the scientist and the general are debating who should get the serum. The general thinks that Steve is too much of a wimp, while the scientist is arguing for his moral character. Steve jumping on the grenade, even if there are other logical solutions (including not doing anything because one just has to ask themselves why a general would throw a live grenade at his own trainee's), specifically resolves the debate that the two were having of Steve's worthiness. Steve's self sacrificial nature is a specific solution to the problem of that part of the story.

The climactic scene of BvS doesn't specifically call for a self sacrifice on Superman's part. It calls for a solution to the problem (How to kill Doomsday). So more logical solutions, like the idea that Wonder Woman should be the one to Spear him because he has the strength and speed without the vulnerability, is more relevant and Superman's self-sacrificial nature counts for less. Hence why it's easier to mock, since it was unnecessary.

Bleepey

It is a demonstration of his character (in fact, it's kind hard for any action any character takes to do so), yeah. No one has a problem with him being self sacrificing, he should be that. The point I'm making is that the logical follow through doesn't matter so much in Cap's situation because of the context for multiple reasons. But most of all, the point of the scene is that the scientist and the general are debating who should get the serum. The general thinks that Steve is too much of a wimp, while the scientist is arguing for his moral character. Steve jumping on the grenade, even if there are other logical solutions (including not doing anything because one just has to ask themselves why a general would throw a live grenade at his own trainee's), specifically resolves the debate that the two were having of Steve's worthiness. Steve's self sacrificial nature is a specific solution to the problem of that part of the story.

The climactic scene of BvS doesn't specifically call for a self sacrifice on Superman's part. It calls for a solution to the problem (How to kill Doomsday). So more logical solutions, like the idea that Wonder Woman should be the one to Spear him because he has the strength and speed without the vulnerability, is more relevant and Superman's self-sacrificial nature counts for less. Hence why it's easier to mock, since it was unnecessary.

This is the shit I am talking about people ignoring significant parts of the film to make their arguments work and to think I am being lectured on context. Why not give it to Wonder Woman? Because she was predisposed at the time:

ChY43IcU0AAx7Gc.jpg

I know I mentioned she was using the lasso to hold Doomsday literally in a post on the same page an hour ago.

IconGrist

The climactic scene of BvS doesn't specifically call for a self sacrifice on Superman's part. It calls for a solution to the problem (Doomsday). So more logical solutions, like the idea that Wonder Woman should be the one to Spear him because he has the strength and speed without the vulnerability, is more relevant and Superman's self-sacrificial nature counts for less.

I'd argue it counts just the same. Superman could not have known the extent of Wonder Woman's abilities or had any guarantees she'd come out of that unscathed. He just met her a few minutes ago. Rather than risk her life to protect his own he took it upon himself.

And let's not pretend that Wonder Woman can't be stabbed by a giant bone protrusion

Veelk

Banned
This is the shit I am talking about people ignoring significant parts of the film to make their arguments work and to think I am being lectured on context. Why not give it to Wonder Woman? Because she was predisposed at the time:

I know I mentioned she was using the lasso already.

You do realize that the solution to this is Superman saying "You take the spear, I'll hold the lasso".

Yes, that's why you're being lectured on narrative context. You confuse it with logical coherence and you literally don't know you're doing it wrong.

I'd argue it counts just the same. Superman could not have known the extent of Wonder Woman's abilities or had any guarantees she'd come out of that unscathed. He just met her a few minutes ago. Rather than risk her life to protect his own he took it upon himself.

And let's not pretend that Wonder Woman can't be stabbed by a giant bone protrusion

She can be, but she can also move out of the way because she's not being weakened by radiation. I mean, imagine how easy Doomsday could go down if he could use the one weapon he's weak to without losing his abilities as well.

Regardless, this is just trying to bicker over logical consistencies. The point is this: The context of Steve's scene is entirely about his character because that's what the scene sets up as being important. Steve literally cannot resolve that scene in any other way, even if he had thought of intellectual better ways to solve the problem of the grenade, because it was his moral character that was specifically being tested.

In contrast, the climax of BvS is just about killing Doomsday. It's not that characterization by Superman's actions is less true. But it literally has to count for less because superman's moral sacrifice wasn't set up as specifically necessary. It makes his self sacrifice less poignant when you doubt that it needed to happen in the first place. If Snyder wanted to set things up in such a way that Superman's self sacrifice was more clearly the ONLY way that Doomsday was dying, this would be less of an issue.

(and when I say set up, I don't just mean for logic coherency sake, I mean the idea that Superman is literally giving everything to the world be better set up in the narration throughout the movie. Because Steve's grenade thing isn't just a one off thing. His character of being a morally righteous crusader is one that is constantly depicted throughout the entire movie. Superman didn't really sacrifice anything except I guess some peace of mind in how he's perceived up until then.)

But never the less, I haven't actually seen an analysis that just focused on why BvS was good just by how it showed who it's characters were on a specific level. It's like they put on beer goggles so you can kinda, sorta see elements of this and that and so on. But I can't think of a single essay tracks the characters and narrative arcs the way people have done with Fury Road or Force Awakens or even Civil War.

I like the movie on balance, with caveats, but I can answer why I haven't. It's because that's the part of the movie that I don't like as much. The underlying themes of the movie seem to be-- powerful people harm innocent people, even when they don't mean to, and other powerful people oppose them. It's no accident that both of Superman's antagonists are billionaires, and that they are both wrong-headed in opposing him, and that the government is portrayed as ineffectual. But also, the billionaires are ultimately successful in stopping Superman. Even after Batman changes his mind, and even though Luthor loses everything, they both basically get what they wanted at the start of the movie-- no more Superman.

But I find this all somewhat facile and overly bleak. The DCEU seems to be a horrible place. Thousands die. Everyone is miserable. Crime and misery reign. Figures who wish to do good are killed (the Senator, Superman himself). Metatextually, Superman's most upbeat ally is recast as a CIA spook and then shot in the head.

*This* is the criticism I wish we usually had about this movie, not "Martha" or "CGI troll" or "I don't understand the plot." Because that other stuff either worked for me, or was superficial. But my issue is with a world where Superman doesn't enjoy doing good because the world is so bleak, and where the people who succeed are the cynics, even if one has a late-hour change of heart.

And aside, of your three examples up there, I'd say Fury Road stands out as being worth this type of discussion (also the by far the best of any movie referenced in this post). CW is a better movie than BvS, but way more superficial on these points and Rogue One seems a pretty straightforward story without a lot of subtext. The DCEU has a ton of subtext, I just don't like where they are with it. They're shooting higher, but falling down on the basics *and* I don't always like what they are shooting for. MoS, bar the total destruction, wasn't bad.

Bleepey

You do realize that the solution to this is Superman saying "You take the spear, I'll hold the lasso".

Yes, that's why you're being lectured on narrative context. You confuse it with logical coherence and you literally don't know you're doing it wrong.

hypothetical superman quote said:
"HEY LADY! Yes you miles away from me!!!!!! I just met you so I have no idea how great your strengths and limitations are. However, I see you're using this magical lasso which I have no idea as to how to use, but do you mind no longer holding this monster you've bound tight with your lasso so that I can hopefully be able to use your lasso which I have no training in and you can risk life and limb to spear him. All you have to do is let him free so that you can run towards me to take the spear so that I can fly towards Doomsday and jury rig your magic lasso at a moment' notice . Be careful though he protrudes spikes, don't ask how I know this since they haven't presented themselve yet in the movie, one of my super powers is to see in the future".

Veelk

Banned

You're literally just making up arbitrary reasons for why it can't happen. I can make up arbitrary reasons why your arbitrary reasons don't work, to which you can make up arbitrary reasons why they can't do what I'm suggesting, to which I can make up arbitrary reasons, etc, etc. You can't really use that defense, because there's no end to that rabbit hole.

Though I would pay good money to see Superman try to explain how he doesn't know how to hold a rope, because that's the extent to which he needs to 'know how to use' the lasso.

Glass Rebel

You know the DCEU is in a dire place when you can't have a discussion about their quality or lack thereof without a handful of inflammatory posts comparing it to the MCU. It's like watching a bunch of defiant children being passive aggressive.

Go with Academy Award Winning Suicide Squad, that one is at least funny.

What I think Bleepy and Vleek both miss is the CW get a pass on its serious plot issues because it's way more fun to watch. People react viscerally and then rationalize their feelings. If you aren't bought-in with what BvS is doing, all the little things seem much bigger. OTOH, having Spider-Man in a fight is fun, so the relatively nonsensical side-trip to Queens to recruit him which makes zero sense in context or with the timeline of the movie is overlooked because it's fun to watch.

CW is a better movie because for its faults (and I had a lot of faults with it) it generally delivers a more satisfying experience. Until the third act, which sucked.

IconGrist

Veelk, that game can be played with the Rogers scene too. By the time Rogers covered the grenade everyone around him had cleared the immediate area. Grenades aren't actually all that life threatening if you're a few feet away and duck. The explosion and resulting shrapnel go up and out. Which is why people yell to get down when one is noticed. It's the concussive force of the grenade that does harm at that range but is completely survivable.

Forgiving all of that they are also in the middle of a training camp in New Jersey. The rest of the soldiers reacted correctly. Rogers' action was illogical and he would have been reprimanded for it.

Veelk

Banned
What I think Bleepy and Vleek both miss is the CW get a pass on its serious plot issues because it's way more fun to watch. People react viscerally and then rationalize their feelings. If you aren't bought-in with what BvS is doing, all the little things seem much bigger. OTOH, having Spider-Man in a fight is fun, so the relatively nonsensical side-trip to Queens to recruit him which makes zero sense in context or with the timeline of the movie is overlooked because it's fun to watch.

CW is a better movie because for its faults (and I had a lot of faults with it) it generally delivers a more satisfying experience. Until the third act, which sucked.

I disagree....well, sort of.

Use of 'fun/humor' is something that makes people enjoy a movie more, but people seem to want to frame it as a trick that marvel pulls to make the audience forget or at the very least a crutch that it uses.

In actuality, the humor modulates the emotional response of whats happening at appropriate moments to both ease the audience in for the next dramatic moment to have an impact and to diversify the emotions that the audience feels. This is a good thing.

It doesn't make you 'forget' anything illogical about the movie, but yeah, it understands that to feel sad, you need to feel happy first, to cry, you must first laugh. This isn't an absolute rule, but it's very useful for writers.

Bleepey

You're literally just making up arbitrary reasons for why it can't happen. I can make up arbitrary reasons why your arbitrary reasons don't work, to which you can make up arbitrary reasons why they can't do what I'm suggesting, to which I can make up arbitrary reasons, etc, etc. You can't really use that defense, because there's no end to that rabbit hole.

Though I would pay good money to see Superman try to explain how he doesn't know how to hold a rope, because that's the extent to which he needs to 'know how to use' the lasso.

Explain to me how my reasons are arbitrary?

In the film Wonder Woman is quite far from Superman so to talk to her he'd have to shout at her or fly to her.

Wonder Woman was holding Doomsday and was presently struggling to hold Doomsday as is. Doomsday was at risk of being free again and potentially go into the city

It's a magic lasso Lord knows how it works. Does it only work based on Wonder Woman holding it? Also, you could give me a lasso yet I ain't arrogant or stupid enough to think I am able to take to rasseling cattle or Bulls like a duck to water.

What evidence was there for Doomsday's protrusions before Superman's death. I can't recall any? Care to remind me?

But you know what tell me some of your arbitrary reasons. My money's on you can't present any logical gripes that I haven't addressed as we'll as the fact the moment you are reminded of Wonder Woman was busy with her lasso you began moving goalposts like a Sunday league football team

Veelk

Banned
Veelk, that game can be played with the Rogers scene too. By the time Rogers covered the grenade everyone around him had cleared the immediate area. Grenades aren't actually all that life threatening if you're a few feet away and duck. The explosion and resulting shrapnel go up and out. Which is why people yell to get down when one is noticed. It's the concussive force of the grenade that does harm at that range but is completely survivable.

Forgiving all of that they are also in the middle of a training camp in New Jersey. The rest of the soldiers reacted correctly. Rogers' action was illogical and he would have been reprimanded for it.

Okay. So lets play this out. Rogers realizes everyone is safe and hides along with everyone else.

The question of significance here is: Does this resolve the conflict of the scene?

No. Because "can they get away safely from the grenade" isn't the point of the scene. Let me repeat that, because the discussion keeps going back to the idea that there were more eficient ways of disposing with the grenade threat, when that isn't the point: "Can they get away safely from the grenade" isn't the point of the scene. I mean, let me remind you that the grenade was never going to explode in the first place. There is no danger they need to get away from.

The point of the scene is "Why give the serum to a good kid and not a obedient soldier who follows orders?" That's the debate the scientist and the general were having. If Steve had gone and hid along with the rest of them, then he would just be like any other soldier morally, so why not give it to whoever is biggest?

For the conflict of that scene to be resolved, Steve NEEDS to demonstrate his self sacrificial nature. There are plenty of ways to dispose of hte grenade threat, I agree, but there's only one way of proving the scientist right, and THAT was what the context of the scene called for.

IconGrist

Okay. So lets play this out. Rogers realizes everyone is safe and hides along with everyone else.

The question of significance here is: Does this resolve the conflict of the scene?

No. Because "can they get away safely from the grenade" isn't the point of the scene. Let me repeat that, because the discussion keeps going back to the idea that there were more eficient ways of disposing with the grenade threat, when that isn't the point: "Can they get away safely from the grenade" isn't the point of the scene. I mean, let me remind you that the grenade was never going to explode in the first place. There is no danger they need to get away from.

The point of the scene is "Why give the serum to a good kid and not a obedient soldier who follows orders?" That's the debate the scientist and the general were having. If Steve had gone and hid along with the rest of them, then he would just be like any other soldier morally, so why not give it to whoever is biggest?

For the conflict of that scene to be resolved, Steve NEEDS to demonstrate his self sacrificial nature. There is no other way of proving the scientist right to the general, regardless of how many other ways there are to get rid of a grenade.

So then you agree that Rogers sacrifice was to solve a plot problem. Glad we're on the same page now.

Bleepey

I am pretty sure I said people are more forgiving of Marvel cos of humour. By forgiving I mean distracted. Thunderbolt Ross's speech only makes sense if you ignore the previous films. So you're calling the rag tag team of Shield agents, deputised Avengers, decorated US soldiers, American generals you insisted they took on the Mandarin for PR purposes, the billionaire you recruited for the Avengers initiative and held a congressional meeting demanding he let you play with his toys are now all vigilanties? That's fucking rich.

Temp_User

Finally had the time and motivation to check up on that BvS review thread ....... and oh boy! as the place of origin of the Sad Affleck meme and those surprisingly high-quality Chris Evans laughing gif which traveled around the interwebz, i could only imagine how many tickets that thread cost WB.

And as a bruised Supes fan, for me that thread would have been the worst place to go through the 5 stages of grief. I mean, i absolutely loathe BvS especially now but the fanboy in me would probably be compelled to defend it during the time when it was released.

Glass Rebel

So then you agree that Rogers sacrifice was to solve a plot problem. Glad we're on the same page now.

It's almost as if these films were manufactured stories that follow dramatic rules. I know, you couldn't tell after watching BvS but that's actually how stories work.

Veelk

Banned
Explain to me how my reasons are arbitrary?

How do you explain arbitrariness? You're making up reasosn for why Superman can't take the rope that aren't so much as hinted at in the movie. Like you're assuming that the lasso requires some super special knowledge to even operate, when all Superman has to do is grab hold of it since Wonder Woman already has Doomsday tied down. All he has to do is hold the rope as far as I can tell, but out of nowhere, you're claiming he needs to know how to use it as well as wonder woman when there's nothing suggesting that's the case.

What evidence was there for Doomsday's protrusions before Superman's death. I can't recall any? Care to remind me

Care to remind me when this became a talking point? I never said anything about Doomsday's protrusions.

But you know what tell me some of your arbitrary reasons. My money's on you can't present any logical gripes that I haven't addressed as we'll as the fact the moment you are reminded of Wonder Woman was busy with her lasso you began moving goalposts like a Sunday league football team

jesus lol

No, not really. I mean, it seems to me that the scientist was the one who ultimately made the decision, the general just had difficulty understanding it and disagreed with it. Maybe if he needs to agree to it, but I don't remember that from the movie. The point of the scene seems more geared to it being the moment that the general starts recognizing Steve's worth, which later leads to him entrusting him with decisions and THAT might be called a plot problem, but that's pretty indirect.

It was a conflict, but it was a character conflict.

Edit: just went and checked. Yeah, the general just disagreed with the scientists decision, but it doesn't seem he had the power to veto him.

LionPride

Banned
I am pretty sure I said people are more forgiving of Marvel cos of humour. By forgiving I mean distracted. Thunderbolt Ross's speech only makes sense if you ignore the previous films. So you're calling the rag tag team of Shield agents, deputised Avengers, decorated US soldiers, American generals you insisted they took on the Mandarin for PR purposes, the billionaire you recruited for the Avengers initiative and held a congressional meeting demanding he let you play with his toys are now all vigilanties? That's fucking rich.
I mean, they weren't doing any of that legally, they were just saving the world why doing it, but caused a shit ton of damage. The incident in Africa was the straw that broke the camel's back and they were called out for their actions. There.

IconGrist

It's almost as if these films were manufactured stories that follow dramatic rules. I know, you couldn't tell after watching BvS but that's actually how stories work.

Hey Rebel, do yourself a favor and maybe go back and read the entire conversation before you jump in talking shit.

Glass Rebel

I read the entire conversation and I already know that you and Bleepy are unable or more likely unwilling to discuss the issues of BvS on a dramatic level rather than a "logical". Probably because both of you know that it doesn't hold up when viewed under that lens.

IconGrist

I read the entire conversation and I already know that you and Bleepy are unable or more likely unwilling to discuss the issues of BvS on a dramatic level rather than a "logical". Probably because both of you know that it doesn't hold up when viewed under that lens.

lol I have been quite vocal about BvS's dramatic issues but sure keep on acting like you know everything.

Bleepey

How do you explain arbitrariness? You're making up reasosn for why Superman can't take the rope that aren't so much as hinted at in the movie. Like you're assuming that the lasso requires some super special knowledge to even operate, when all Superman has to do is grab hold of it since Wonder Woman already has Doomsday tied down. All he has to do is hold the rope as far as I can tell, but out of nowhere, you're claiming he needs to know how to use it as well as wonder woman when there's nothing suggesting that's the case.

I am not making up shit. Even if the magical lasso was plug n play. He'd still have to fly with the spear to her to ensure Doomsday doesn't get free and in his weakened state hold Doomsday. I genuinely feel I am taking crazy pills here.

Care to remind me when this became a talking point? I never said anything about Doomsday's protrusions.

You were the one saying it was stupid for him to get stabbed when there was nothing suggesting he knew Doomsday would go all Wolverine and go snikt

jesus lol

Veelk

Banned
You were the one saying it was stupid for him to get stabbed when there was nothing suggesting he knew Doomsday would go all Wolverine and go snikt

Because you don't need to know that Doomsday grows his own spikes to assume that it's a bad idea to go near him in a weakened state.

I genuinely feel I am taking crazy pills here.
Well, that'd be one explanation for your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom