• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

AzaK

Is anyone keeping a summary somewhere of the steps to get the best from CEMU and BotW? I haven't heard of Cemu Hook until now, and typically have a hard time finding HD graphics packs and getting them to work properly.

Identifying grass.

untitled-1kms7j.png

untitled-2kosn3.png

untitled-3xossk.png

untitled-4sgsb4.png

Yep, it's grass.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
wow grass growing on stone..
still prefer my switch version.
never spotted that glitch tbh

jett

D-Member
Now someone make it so grass LOD is always at maximum at all distances. We might actually see something comparable to that one Zelda bullshot.

I got the newest build. Is the opening suppose to be really slow where link wakes up. I'm getting like 1 to 10fps. This is April 2nd build

TheRed

Now someone make it so grass LOD is always at maximum at all distances. We might actually see something comparable to that one Zelda bullshot.

Ya just ran around a little bit and it looks amazing at 4k. But I immediately thought of that. I need to crank that grass LOD up big time and it would be wow amazing.

Young Magus

So BOTW straight up crashes on cemu for me when I use the hack. If I dont use it then Im stuck within 15~fps

I got an i7 6700 @ 3.40 ghZ and a gtx 1050ti

So BOTW straight up crashes on cemu for me when I use the hack. If I dont use it then Im stuck within 15~fps

I got an i7 6700 @ 3.40 ghZ and a gtx 1050ti

From the Cemu Discord:

#The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (EUR)

[CPU]
emulateSinglePrecision = true

[Graphics]
disableGPUFence = true
thats what your game profile is meant to look like

Put that stuff in the appropriate game profile ini file and it will do the same thing as the Cemu Hook hack.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm playing on a 1080p monitor right now, so these are just straight ripped screengrabs from CEMU rendering at 5K and displaying at 1080.

I wanted to get a screenshot to show why this game would really, really benefit from a LoD mod.

The tree in both screenshots is the same, just a different proximity to it.

5k_zelda_0012_layer_2_by_aloooo81-db4d7ax.jpg

5k_zelda_0011_layer_3_by_aloooo81-db4d7b5.jpg

And heres just a different section, full density grass looks wonderful.

5k_zelda_0004_layer_10_by_aloooo81-db4d7dw.jpg

I'm playing on a 1080p monitor right now, so these are just straight ripped screengrabs from CEMU rendering at 5K and displaying at 1080.

I wanted to get a screenshot to show why this game would really, really benefit from a LoD mod.

The tree in both screenshots is the same, just a different proximity to it.

5k_zelda_0012_layer_2_by_aloooo81-db4d7ax.jpg

5k_zelda_0011_layer_3_by_aloooo81-db4d7b5.jpg

And heres just a different section, full density grass looks wonderful.

5k_zelda_0004_layer_10_by_aloooo81-db4d7dw.jpg

Wait wait wait.... There's a LOD/Grass density mod ???

acm2000

playing the game any higher than 1080p really just shows off how bad the textures are, i mean the AA is great n all, but the assets just arent there to make it worth while

mrlion

Is anyone keeping a summary somewhere of the steps to get the best from CEMU and BotW? I haven't heard of Cemu Hook until now, and typically have a hard time finding HD graphics packs and getting them to work properly.

All of that can be found on the discord.

Durante

playing the game any higher than 1080p really just shows off how bad the textures are, i mean the AA is great n all, but the assets just arent there to make it worth while
I couldn't disagree more. The art style works extremely well with the clean IQ that is achieed by downsampling.

MTC100

Banned

MTC100

Banned
This basically means that the game can now be considered properly playable, and finishable, right?

Still seems to have some hiccups here and there. Those videos also come from people having newest i5/i7 cpus overclocked way above the 4GHz mark. If you have such a CPU, I guess you can consider playing the game now.

The people posting screenshots above - is that just BOTW running in Cemu, or is there mods / shenanigans at work?

That's CEMU downsampling from 4K most likely. In every video game you have much higher quality models than the game shows you initially, the GPU is reducing its quality automatically. Because of that you still need to have some form of Anti Aliasing when playing games in 1080p on a 1080p display, as the models are actually lower in resolution and create those nasty edges we want to get rid of. Having Anti Aliasing is only fighting the symptoms though but it's cheaper on the GPU unless it's supersampling(using twice the resolution for example and downscaling it to the one of your screen) which essentially is the same as downsampling or like nvidia likes to call it Dynamic Super Resolution(DSR)

If you now take a 4K Resolution, the GPU samples the models in a much higher fidelity(takes a lot more power too but I guess WiiU games are a walk in the park for any modern GPU anyway, emulation is more of a strain on the CPU), that's why you will have a much cleaner IQ, even if you only have a 1080P screen. You can look at how higher resolution affects a game like the Witcher 3, Nvidia made a slider comparison between 4K and 1080p you may want to look at finer detail like tree branches, the benefits of upscaling are even more prominent in motion though.

Patrick S.

Banned
Still seems to have some hiccups here and there. Those videos also come from people having newest i5/i7 cpus overclocked way above the 4GHz mark. If you have such a CPU, I guess you can consider playing the game now.

4690k @4.3. I'll give it a try once this new release comes out for non Patreons :)

daninthemix

That's CEMU downsampling from 4K most likely. In every video game you have much higher quality models than the game shows you initially, the GPU is reducing its quality automatically. Because of that you still need to have some form of Anti Aliasing when playing games in 1080p on a 1080p display, as the models are actually lower in resolution and create those nasty edges we want to get rid of. Having Anti Aliasing is only fighting the symptoms though but it's cheaper on the GPU unless it's supersampling(using twice the resolution for example and downscaling it to the one of your screen) which essentially is the same as downsampling or like nvidia likes to call it Dynamic Super Resolution(DSR)

If you now take a 4K Resolution, the GPU samples the models in a much higher fidelity(takes a lot more power too but I guess WiiU games are a walk in the park for any modern GPU anyway, emulation is more of a strain on the CPU), that's why you will have a much cleaner IQ, even if you only have a 1080P screen. You can look at how higher resolution affects a game like the Witcher 3, Nvidia made a slider comparison between 4K and 1080p you may want to look at finer detail like tree branches, the benefits of upscaling are even more prominent in motion though.

But looking at those shots it seems like the grass is rendering further into the distance, or am I mistaken?

Durante

Identifying grass.
Yep, it's grass.
In your (great looking) shots it looks like the artificating (e.g. around Link) which was there in some earlier screenshots and which I thought was related to some postprocess AA is gone. Did some graphics pack remove or fix that?

opricnik

Banned
So is it playable now? last i saw there was some effects missing , did they fixed?

is it stable enough 30 fps (like playable , im ok with some random drops here and there)

Oh yeah baby. :)

Physics, grass, water... everything's there now. Running 1440p (and 4K likely, need to re-download graphics pack again) @ 30fps (DLL hack for smooth framerate and .MP4 video playback still works).

My play-through of Zelda starts tomorrow proper.

Is the game even beatable in CEMU? I mean Any%, start to finish, last boss and ending credits?

Will you be the first guy to check/ confirm that?

iFirez

It'l be interesting to see how Korok Forest runs.... place is a shit show on both Wii U and Switch for frames. Game looks amazing with some good anti-aliasing and being downsampled though.

robotrock

Banned
Is the game even beatable in CEMU? I mean Any%, start to finish, last boss and ending credits?

I imagine people have been importing all sorts of weird Wii U saves at various points of progress and have been checking for stuff like that, but I don't know.

jediyoshi

In your (great looking) shots it looks like the artificating (e.g. around Link) which was there in some earlier screenshots and which I thought was related to some postprocess AA is gone. Did some graphics pack remove or fix that?

It's still there, downsampling obscures it

SawJ8v4.jpg

native

zrefx0S.jpg

If someone could absolutely confirm this I'd appreciate it!

So to get BOTW running as best as it can, is it the case to use Cemu hook and disable gpu fence? Is there anything else I should do?

Wollan

It should be fully playable now yes. Camera rune shows images as black(?) but still works. Everything else is working like it should. I am going to enjoy my playthrough and I play slow. ;)

Use Cemu Hook version 3.0.1 for smooth framerate/.mp4 video playback, not latest version (those of you with troubles).

It should be fully playable now yes. Camera rune shows images as black(?) but still works. Everything else is working like it should. I am going to enjoy my playthrough and I play slow. ;)

Use Cemu Hook version 3.0.1 for smooth framerate/.mp4 video playback, not latest version (those of you with troubles).

Do you need to use Cemu hook and gpu fence true?

knerl

How's the framerate? Can Cemu keep it at 30fps where the real machine can't?
Also. Can game updates be applied somehow?

Top Bottom