• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.
very few arena players right now. i think kripp released a video on it recently and he's spot on. i've been facing nothing but god drafts in arena at any win rate. super hard to succeed there this week. next week it will be a cakewalk.

I agree that, long term, the only solution is to go back and redo the classic set so that there is a somewhat even level of power between all classes. This doesn't have to be a total nerf and remove either -- they could do it by tastefully rotating expansion cards into and out of classic.

As long as classic remains a baseline then certain classes will always be either busted or terrible. See priest and shaman as an example -- priest is predicted to return to the dumpster after the rotation, while shaman is basically propped up by it's expansion set and in constant danger of being in the dumpster unless they get some majorly powerful cards every rotation. That's no way to keep the game balanced.

I think the 2018 rotation will be when they finally do something like this. They've locked down a long term viable release schedule that should see enough new content to keep the game interesting (especially once they are bundled with free PvE content) for most players, and they have already shown a willingness to adjust the classic set both now and in the future.

They've now tried both minimal-disruption strategies, 'nerf some cards' and 'rotate some cards', to to keep the classic set in check. If it is still a problem this year (and it is absolutely still going to be, let's be honest), a top-down overhaul of the classic class cards is the next thin to try.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I have for a long time favored doing more "digital" things with this digital card game. For whatever reason, Blizzard has taken the opposite stance. Good to see them sometimes do those things like rotate out cards and stuff, but it could be done much quicker and on a larger scale.

Measley

My predictions:

Hunter will be top tier. Too many incredible tools.

Elemental Shaman will replace Jade Shaman.

Taunt Warrior will replace Pirate Warrior

Priest will sink to the bottom due to loss of Dragon and Reno Deck

Rogue will be bottom tier until mid-late expansion when people figure out how to efficiently complete their quest.

Warlock and Paladin are wild cards. Could be high tier or mid tier.

Hunter will only be top tier in the classic "a top streamer plays hunter so everyone plays hunter so it is the top" sense.

The card draw just isn't there and there are a lot of taunts to get through. Even a best case swarm of 3/2s will basically be nowhere near as good as a quickshot to the face when you are out of steam.

The degenerate aggro shenanigans will likely still be some sort of warrior/rogue.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Dahbomb and I recorded our first review "stream" today. I will try and get it on YouTube by tomorrow. We went through all the neutrals.

Dahbomb

We know avg power level in arena went up. That was intended. Him being salty would just fit him tho.
Except that's not what he or the guys at Lightforge are saying.

They are saying that now in Arena more than ever deck quality matters more than player skill. This is what is making it frustrating for pro players.. not that they have worse averages than before. This was predicted to be the case before the new Arena even came. Power level of Arena has gone up every expansion but that usually does not impact the play of the top players. When the meta is threat and response, then the person with more threats/response wins.

I can see how someone would think otherwise from hearing the Kripp rants. He didn't articulate his point across very well, it just looks like he's salty because he is losing more than before.

I'm gonna spend all my dust on NZoth priest then go to wild with it if it sucks.
Except that's not what he or the guys at Lightforge are saying.

They are saying that now in Arena more than ever deck quality matters more than player skill. This is what is making it frustrating for pro players.. not that they have worse averages than before. This was predicted to be the case before the new Arena even came. Power level of Arena has gone up every expansion but that usually does not impact the play of the top players. When the meta is threat and response, then the person with more threats/response wins.

I can see how someone would think otherwise from hearing the Kripp rants. He didn't articulate his point across very well, it just looks like he's salty because he is losing more than before.

but that's a positive. Deck quality is an extension of player skill

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know that the new arena made it somehow less skillful. Could have sworn the sentiment was it was more skillful during the first couple weeks of the newly standard arena with spell bonuses.

What made it worse?

Measley

Hunter will only be top tier in the classic "a top streamer plays hunter so everyone plays hunter so it is the top" sense.

The card draw just isn't there and there are a lot of taunts to get through. Even a best case swarm of 3/2s will basically be nowhere near as good as a quickshot to the face when you are out of steam.

The degenerate aggro shenanigans will likely still be some sort of warrior/rogue.

Even with Jeweled Macaw, Stampede and the quest Raptors' Deathrattles?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to wonder if maybe Paladin has the best quest.

It might be the best quest reward in the sense that it can easily win you the game straight out with no additional cards needed for quest reward synergy, and there's a good mix of one drop buffs and good value buffs to choose from. The main question is what minions to buff and which buffs to use, but I feel like there's enough options that someone might find the right answer there.

Druid on the other hand I'm not super impressed with after trying to build a deck for it. Early 5 attack minions are so limited, and the quest is so slow if you don't start early.

My current Quest ranking is probably something like:

Mage
Shaman
Paladin
Warrior
Warlock
Rogue
Hunter
Druid
Priest

And for the record, I'm personally happy with anyone using my posts like these against me in the future, though I respect the fact that others might not want the same.

Dahbomb

I'm gonna spend all my dust on NZoth priest then go to wild with it if it sucks.

but that's a positive. Deck quality is an extension of player skill
They mean that even the drafting process has been made simpler and less skillful. It's about drafting highest value rather than drafting smartly. That means that you can just use those drafting sites to better carry you better now.

There is less skill in picking decks and there is less skill in piloting said decks.

Even with Jeweled Macaw, Stampede and the quest Raptors' Deathrattles?

Yes. You can play hunter now and realise your minions are just shittier than other class minions, which just got stronger again.

Dropping some one drops on turn 6 isn't going to achieve much of anything. Nor is reloading into another set of cards you don't want to play.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't know, 6 buffs is a lot. But it could work, Paladin does have a bunch of buffs available to it. You would need a lot more than 6 though if you want to get the card off before fatigue though. 10 seems like a minimum.

What comes to mind for me is putting it into a mech deck in Wild . With Clockwork Gnome, Mechanical Yeti, and Tinkertown Technician, you can generate a bunch of cheap spells to use on your minions, so you don't need to have too many buff spells in your deck, and Galvadon could be used as a finisher. There was some pretty competitive Mech Paladin decks in before TgT hit. The Mech Package was lot bigger than modern packages though, from 10 to 15 cards.

Pooya

print a new monkey that adds a single banana to your hand as a 2 drop, it will help both mage and paladin.

if that new paladin 2 drop discovered a 1 mana spell instead of a secret, it could have been huge...

It doesn't take much to make paladin good. Their cards this set just don't have any focus. SHR ones in particular are just whatever. 7 mana weapons are not playable in constructed environment unless it's gorehowl strong and even that is very hard to play. I've no idea what they were thinking. A bigger piranha launcher is sure to help paladin with SHR synergy.,

patchday

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Paladin has the best quest.

It might be the best quest reward in the sense that it can easily win you the game straight out with no additional cards needed for quest reward synergy, and there's a good mix of one drop buffs and good value buffs to choose from. The main question is what minions to buff and which buffs to use, but I feel like there's enough options that someone might find the right answer there.

Druid on the other hand I'm not super impressed with after trying to build a deck for it. Early 5 attack minions are so limited, and the quest is so slow if you don't start early.

My current Quest ranking is probably something like:

Mage
Shaman
Paladin
Warrior
Warlock
Rogue
Hunter
Druid
Priest

And for the record, I'm personally happy with anyone using my posts like these against me in the future, though I respect the fact that others might not want the same.

I can't understand why someone would be that douchey. if we could be right everytime we'd be some sort of perfect being. It's fun making predictions.

I didn't know that the new arena made it somehow less skillful. Could have sworn the sentiment was it was more skillful during the first couple weeks of the newly standard arena with spell bonuses.

What made it worse?

decks draft themselves nowadays, you really have to be braindead to not pick the best of the 3 options considering how few cards are in the pool

Miletius

Just had cult master trigger off of the opponent's weasel dying. Kinda interesting side effect of that card. Guess CM and weasel don't see much play so that one slipped by the QA team.

Xanathus

Biggest question for me now is what to replace Finley with in Pirate Warrior. Finley is actually a very significant game-winning card in the deck and it might be a lot weaker without it.

FeD.nL

Okay Deathrattle Kazakus priest is a bust, it's difficult to find even 7 different deathrattles to run.

Time for Volazj? Combo it with 2 cheap deathrattles, that's 4 summons at once.

Ah well, will probably be another 2 sets before you have enough stuff to play a competitive list and then Kazakus rotates.

FeD.nL

I'm hoping to get good rogue or warlock cards. Warlock without Reno is a bummer though.

I'm really interested in how a slower Warlock will adapt. It's kinda fun because back in the day vanilla Handlock lists would only run 2x Farseer. And since we're getting some really well statted taunts this expansion it might bring back some gravitas to playing with your life total instead of barely caring because you play Reno.

fertygo

I'm really interested in how a slower Warlock will adapt. It's kinda fun because back in the day vanilla Handlock lists would only run 2x Farseer. And since we're getting some really well statted taunts this expansion it might bring back some gravitas to playing with your life total instead of barely caring because you play Reno.

We just not play any kind of slow warlock

patchday

had a warlock quest yesterday. just used the basic demonlock build the game gives and earned a few stars pretty easily with it on ladder

FeD.nL

We just not play any kind of slow warlock

Yeah probably.

But still it wouldn't surprise me if someone figures out a list. The amount of board clears a Warlock has, with the new one for early aggression. There is something there, perhaps not this expansion but the deck doesn't need a whole lot from a next expansion to work.

patchday

Even tho I started in WoTG I can remember when true consistent Control warlock existed and even saw competitive play w/o the reno crutch.

Granted, this was before the Great Pirate Warrior era

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok, got me 3000 gold + 4 packs that blizz gave away + 50 pre order packs.
84 packs! HYPE!

Xanathus

After thinking more about post-rotation matchups and Finley rotating out, I'm starting to think that Pirate Warrior might not be that dangerous and the top tier meta might end up being very draw-dependent 50/50 matchups between Taunt Warrior, Hunter, Pirate Warrior and Jade Druid.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
After thinking more about post-rotation matchups and Finley rotating out, I'm starting to think that Pirate Warrior might not be that dangerous and the top tier meta might end up being very draw-dependent 50/50 matchups between Taunt Warrior, Hunter, Pirate Warrior and Jade Druid.

Besides Finley, what are they losing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom