• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syberia 3 releases a day early

Syberia 3 has released a day early, at least on Steam. It seems to be getting mixed reviews with two of the biggest complaints being the controls and graphics.

Any GAFfers have this game, and are willing to share first impressions and reviews? I'm on the fence about buying this, even though I love Syberia 1 + 2.

OmegaX

Syberia 3 has released a day early, at least on Steam. It seems to be getting mixed reviews with two of the biggest complaints being the controls and graphics.

Any GAFfers have this game, and are willing to share first impressions and reviews? I'm on the fence about buying this, even though I love Syberia 1 + 2.

What's wrong with the graphics? The screenshots on the Steam store look really nice at least art direction wise. Reminds me of Dreamfall chapters which was beautiful.

Jacqli

I have never liked this franchise. I found it really boring, maybe a console is not the best place to play it though.

Social

What's wrong with the graphics? The screenshots on the Steam store look really nice at least art direction wise. Reminds me of Dreamfall chapters which was beautiful.

People seem to hate the move to 3D and the loss of charm.

But...it was always pre-rendered 3d? It's not like it's going from some 2d designs to 3d.

Pre-rendered is still 2D. It let the developers make some really high quality backgrounds without losing much performance and could do things more artistically without being bogged down by technical limits.

Now it's full 3D and corners have clearly been cut to make up for this, I don't think it looks as good as Syberia 1 and 2 and this seems to be a common complaint.

Denuvo, 40 euro, ugly transition from stunning 2D to 2006 3D, voice acting incredibly bad. I wonder what else could've killed this game? I will assume the developers just came out of a dungeon and didnt notice the huge success of 2D point and click games, and remasters.

mike6467

These are still some of my favorite games when it comes to atmosphere. The ambiance and settings have always captured my imagination and dragged me in, even if the games were lacking elsewhere. I'll probably pick this up now because I want to support the devs who still make adventure games, even if I don't end up playing it for awhile.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Have it on PS4, game does look dated even on Pro, I wouldn't even say it's PS3/360 standard
But that's not what's important in this type of game.

The first two games had amazing atmosphere - as many point out, they can be very slow experiences, but I actually think that slowness is a feature in this particular case. I'll be picking this one up eventually, but from the trailers I can't help but think that some of what made the first two games so great is gone. I hope I'm wrong about this...

wouwie

Is this the same voice actress for Kate Walker? Her dialogue seems almost "spoken" by a computer at times. Combined with the lip synch and especially lip movement, it's uncanny valley territory, which is a shame. My buying decision will depend on how good or bad the story is, i guess.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im interested to see impressions on this. Originals are classics. If this at least does them service i can see myself getting it.

IC5

Denuvo, 40 euro, ugly transition from stunning 2D to 2006 3D, voice acting incredibly bad. I wonder what else could've killed this game? I will assume the developers just came out of a dungeon and didnt notice the huge success of 2D point and click games, and remasters.
2006 3D?

Are the Steam pics bullshots? Because those shots dont look too far behind the recent Tomb Raider sequel. So, pretty dang good looking?

*I dunno. Just clicked through some lets plays and these graphics are pretty current.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
2006 3D?

Are the Steam pics bullshots? Because those shots dont look too far behind the recent Tomb Raider sequel. So, pretty dang good looking?

*I dunno. Just clicked through some lets plays and these graphics are pretty current.
ss_6c28743a5b9f49a30d71666333eac1552c462b72.jpg
Not even close
the game is a mixed bag in the gfx department, it don't look current and lastgen had better looking graphics too. Some texture are ok and some look PS2ish
kinda look like a mobile game, it looks flat.

IC5

Not even close
the game is a mixed bag in the gfx department, it don't look current and lastgen had better looking graphics too. Some texture are ok and some look PS2ish
kinda look like a mobile game, it looks flat.
Even with this particular screenshot, which highlights some lack of complexity in the shaders: Nothing on PS3 looked as good as this. Not even Uncharted 3 or Tomb Raider 2014 ps3/360 versions. Which were two of the best looking games last Gen.

This isn't bleeding edge. But I would comfortably place this as a current Gen game. It's an adventure game. People gotta be able to run it. The PS4 and Xbone have 6 year old GPUs in them. And the minimum recommended, is just that. A 260x, which is similar to Xbone.

Elios83

It still isn't available on the italian Playstation store, I wonder if it's because of the Ubisoft exclusivity deal with Gamestop....

Btw I've watched some footage and the game clearly is indie level stuff on the technical side, textures and effects can be bland, animations are outdated and so on. But it still looks better than the Telltale games and many japanese games.
I guess it's the best they could do with the budget they had but clearly the technical impact of Syberia in 2002 was much stronger.
I'm looking forward to see more impressions about the story and puzzles since they are the key elements behind this genre, also I'm busy playing other games right now so I won't buy it immediatly.

Stiler

I am going to start it up later tonight.

Syberia is one of my favorite game series of all time. I absolutely loved both games.

I think people are being WAY too harsh on the graphics, I mean have they seen a Talltale game? Adventure games aren't generally known for being "lookers" and while I do miss the high fidelity 2d backgrounds the game doesn't look like a ps2 game at all to me.

Is the protagonist Clara Roft?
just kidding. I liked the first game

I know you're joking, but I actually see that comment all the time on the Syberia trailers, it's actually the other way around.

Kate Walker looks like she did in the previous games that came before the Rise of the Tomb Raider reboot. They actually changed Lara Croft and she ended up looking more like Kate Walker Just that most people who haven't played Syberia I/II don't know this and assume it's the other way around.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Quick impressions:
- The game looks honestly spectacular, it is so lovely to see the design in high definition with good textures and models. Really, it looks very great. The close-ups on characters are lovely, the skin looks great, the wall and environmental textures pop.

- It clearly nails the Syberia feel: decrepit, run down, sombre, melancholy, retro futurist mechanical goodness.

- It is extremely technically rough around the edges; awful lip sync (tried in English and French, I think the lip sync timing is correct for English but not the movement), spoken lines that don't match subtitles, stilted English or errors in the subtitles, lots of 1.0 type bugs (camera cuts in cutscenes aren't as smooth as they should be, slightly weird controller behaviour with Steam controller, some weird UI stuff, startup install runs a command prompt for a little while, a few audio load errors, subititles are too small on a TV)

My sense thusfar is that this is a really good game that is going to be a worthy part of the series but if you've already bought it you might wait for a patch or two to play it.

Playing on PC, my PC has all pretty modern parts but an old-ish video card--770, 1080p "Beautiful" setting, performance is 60fps.

I think I might pick this up on Switch... though I have been considering the XB1 version as well (since I have 1 and 2 on regular XBox).

2006 3D?

9206A3E88049217723DBD269772567D4D5B874DA

Of course I am exaggerating a bit. Its still incredibly ugly. Maybe its better in motion but thats a huge maybe. I'll wait on a sale to find out.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sad to say, but the game peaked with the first iteration IMHO. On PS2, the first title was all I wanted and more... the second had worse performance and, much more importantly, much much worse puzzles and pacing (the wake up pilot puzzle towards the beginning was one of the "gems")...

Still, maybe they take really good advantage of the PS4 Pro and the game finds a different way to wow me... we will see :). I do have to say that I really miss the use of high fidelity animated 2D backgrounds... although by next generation we should be able to have them just as equally good looking realtime ones and better characters. I do think that some games can still be played and make sense to be experienced from the limitation of artificially locked camera angles/scenes though.

Quick impressions:
- The game looks honestly spectacular, it is so lovely to see the design in high definition with good textures and models. Really, it looks very great. The close-ups on characters are lovely, the skin looks great, the wall and environmental textures pop.

- It clearly nails the Syberia feel: decrepit, run down, sombre, melancholy, retro futurist mechanical goodness.

- It is extremely technically rough around the edges; awful lip sync (tried in English and French, I think the lip sync timing is correct for English but not the movement), spoken lines that don't match subtitles, stilted English or errors in the subtitles, lots of 1.0 type bugs (camera cuts in cutscenes aren't as smooth as they should be, slightly weird controller behaviour with Steam controller, some weird UI stuff, startup install runs a command prompt for a little while, a few audio load errors, subititles are too small on a TV)

My sense thusfar is that this is a really good game that is going to be a worthy part of the series but if you've already bought it you might wait for a patch or two to play it.

Playing on PC, my PC has all pretty modern parts but an old-ish video card--770, 1080p "Beautiful" setting, performance is 60fps.

How is the music/ ambient/ sfx?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I got a review code for the PS4 version, diving in this weekend. Never played any of the other Syberias before btw, but I was in the mood for an adventure so I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully PS4 performance is ok

Melon Husk

Some cutscenes seem to have misplaced camera angles.

The game overall seems to focus more on characters and not the environment which is not ideal given the voice acting...

Some cutscenes seem to have misplaced camera angles.

The game overall seems to focus more on characters and not the environment which is not ideal given the voice acting...

I've only watched the trailer but the voice acting seemed ok to me, pretty good with some characters? If anything I feel Kate's is the weakest

Eusis

Changing from point and click really, REALLY disappointed my mom, nearly to the point of tears. She's not particularly familiar/comfortable with WASD controls and this was the one higher end game (relative to what she usually plays, hidden object games) she was actually looking forward to, and with her being in chronic pain and the shit we've gone through lately it'd have been a bright spot for her. I gave her my 360 controller to see if she can comfortably play with that, but she's not really experienced with that either and might find that painful anyway.

It really IS kind of lame how the likes of Telltale abandoned point and click gameplay despite not necessarily moving that far from it anyway.

Top Bottom