• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Asylum Mafia |OT| It's time to kill the Bat

Dr. Worm

Banned
I agree that Dr. Worm played this situation very strangely.

They quoted your post voting for acohrs and asked you to expand upon why you did, but when you gave an answer, Dr. Worm just quoted the original acohrs vote post again instead of directly addressing your answer to him.

I was a little hesitant to pile onto Lifeline, since I know he's new and a couple of other people were coming after him, and then went on him again when he backed down.

I'm... less reticent now that he's tried again, but I try to be fair with people. I'm naturally trusting and have a tendency to seek consensus, and I'm entirely cognizant of how that's landed me where I am now.

Fat4all

Banned
Same goes for Fat4All.

I don't see how it's opportunistic considering the posts about Terra I made before and after my vote. The manner in which he switched his vote was undeniably at odds with his previous actions, and I felt, deserved to be addressed immediately.

If anything, it shows a pressure vote in action.

Lifeline

I was a little hesitant to pile onto Lifeline, since I know he's new and a couple of other people were coming after him, and then went on him again when he backed down.

I'm... less reticent now that he's tried again, but I try to be fair with people. I'm naturally trusting and have a tendency to seek consensus, and I'm entirely cognizant of how that's landed me where I am now.

Makes sense to me

UNVOTE

Fat4all

Banned
Sorian, can you lay down some info on why you voted Dr Worm?

Is is just a general vibe or how they're playing or sommit?

Dr. Worm

Banned
It's a bit of a mess right now to be honest. Generally speaking I feel better about the players that aren't jumping on every little thing like it's some massive tell. Lot of awkward play going on right now but I can't necessarily attribute much of it as specifically scum behavior.

This is probably the best summation of my current outlook. Feels like too many people trying to be scumhunting extraordinaires, a little bit. My questions tend to be aimed more at learning new information or gathering perspectives; I'm trying to be a little open now so it doesn't seem one-sided.

Mazre, of all the awkward play, what do you think is most and least likely to be scummy? Or is it all a muddle?

Sorian

Banned
Sorian, can you lay down some info on why you voted Dr Worm?

Is is just a general vibe or how they're playing or sommit?

The main reason is how he got into the SexyFish vote with me yesterday. I waited because I wanted Fish under pressure but even at the time I commented how I didn't like the wagoning. That with the re entry today and the no real stance yet has me curious.

Dr. Worm

Banned
The main reason is how he got into the SexyFish vote with me yesterday. I waited because I wanted Fish under pressure but even at the time I commented how I didn't like the wagoning. That with the re entry today and the no real stance yet has me curious.

I wouldn't say I'm married to a SexyFish lynch, but he seemed most suspect to me at the time. The dumping of "well this section is contradictory" seemed lazy - like he was being advised by Batfam in a scum thread what to say.

I don't know if I'll switch my vote tomorrow. I apologize for logging off so suddenly last night. Maybe I was just mad about being snubbed.

DAY 1 CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

Terrabyte20xx (3)
Kalor 434
Natiko 450
Fat4all 451

Kalor (3)
batsnacks 140
*Splinter 235
SexyFish 289

Lifeline (1)
Terrabyte20xx 214 449
Timeaisis 511

Mazre (1)
acohrs 422

Dr. Worm (1)
Sorian 491
Lifeline 496 506

SexyFish (1)
Timeaisis 207 511
Sorian 287 491
Dr. Worm 318

Natiko (1)
Faddy 499

Sorian (0): Faddy 98 499

acohrs (0): Lifeline 173 216, Lifeline 374 496, Terrabyte20xx 449 501

StarSketch (0): Natiko 232 450

Timeaisis (0): Sorian 78 287, SexyFish 270 289

No active vote for Day 1: AbsolutBro, Fireblend, Lifeline (has previously voted), Mazre, MickD, Nudull, Royal_Flush, StarSketch, Terrabyte20xx (has previously voted), That Dude John, TheWorthyEdge, Verelios, Zippedpinhead

Day 1 Postcount: *Splinter 11, AbsolutBro 9, acohrs 28, batsnacks 25, Dr. Worm 30, Faddy 35, Fat4all 54, Fireblend 16, Kalor 11, Lifeline 28, Mazre 6, MickD 0, Natiko 31, Nudull 5, Royal_Flush 4, SexyFish 21, Sorian 44, StarSketch 5, Terrabyte20xx 23, That Dude John 3, Timeaisis 17, Verelios 12, Zippedpinhead 6

Day 1 ends:
red_1492988400.png

13 votes for majority

Natiko

Banned
I guess not because apparently I didn't make any attempt to put any pressure on lifeline, so CLEARlY that wasn't me throwing shade at him.
I'm sorry that not everyone takes a completely uniform stance? Just because someone else accuses you of one thing doesn't mean I can't accuse you of something different.

This vote is opportunistic as fuck.
So that's two of my votes now that you've criticized for very weak reasoning. First I shouldn't vote Star because "that's just how she is" and now I shouldn't vote Terra because...it's opportunistic of me to notice his complete 180 and sudden willingness to lynch someone he's not even suspicious of by teaming up with the person he supposedly is? Not really following your logic.

I am now very concerned about Natiko. I'm piggybacking on Sorian here but that the opportunism of that vote on Terra cannot be ignored. Same goes for Fat4All.

Kalor, who himself is under suspicion, makes a weak vote on Terra and those two are right in behind it seeing an opportunity to jump on a wagon with a compromised player.

VOTE: Natiko
In a world where Kalor and I are scum together do you really think we would coordinate to dog pile on someone by ourselves? Kalor's reasoning for his vote and mine are two completely different things. We would have to be one really dysfunctional scum team. Besides - you do realize that by piggybacking Sorian you're essentially doing the exact thing you just accused me of right?

Dr. Worm

Banned
Feels like too many people trying to be scumhunting extraordinaires, a little bit.

To elaborate (in case someone wanted to call me anti-scumhunting or whatever):

We've got quite a range of skill levels in this game, with a handful of newer players in addition to some more experienced, more confident personalities. It's natural for a number of people to be intimidated by that latter group, even unintentionally; there are times when the community can seem cliquey. That effect is stronger here because this game was advertised as "Role Madness" and aimed more at experienced players, hence the greater amount of them.

I don't want to cramp on anyone's style, but the impression I get is something of a "too many cooks in the kitchen"-type scenario, where a lot of people are looking for people to peg as mafia, and the atmosphere risks being cannibalistic, where defenses of others can lead to scumreads. fat4all's posts, to me, read like he's in a similar boat as Mazre and myself, in that he isn't as assured of his thoughts and is dancing around that - I can certainly see the less active half of the player list feeling the same, but not wanting to comment as such, especially after Kalor was jumped on for being indecisive.

I realize this post may be a little too meta, so I'll come to my point: I think the tendency to want to hang back is completely justified, and it's necessary to encourage everyone playing to speak up if we want to have a full picture. We benefit from listening to everyone's thoughts, and it's important to try not to discourage that.

Dr. Worm

Banned
That's kinda the heart of why I was interested in defending Lifeline, and why I tried to take a more conciliatory approach, especially after he backed down under pressure when Fireblend said

If anything this is more problematic than your initial thinking. Did you feel threatened by the one vote on you?

which can create something of a "damned if you, damned if you don't" type of atmosphere for posting.

Dr. Worm

Banned
I'm not trying to tone police anyone, that's just my opinion of why this phase is going where it is.

I'm signing off now.

Sorian

Banned
So that's two of my votes now that you've criticized for very weak reasoning. First I shouldn't vote Star because "that's just how she is" and now I shouldn't vote Terra because...it's opportunistic of me to notice his complete 180 and sudden willingness to lynch someone he's not even suspicious of by teaming up with the person he supposedly is? Not really following your logic.

The Star vote was whatever, I didn't criticize it in a "you're scummy" kind of way, I was saying it was a worthless vote and I know you knew it. This current one I do have issue. You didn't really seem to notice the 180, you seemed to be piggybacking a vote/logic that someone else placed. I'm not voting you because I'm not even sure if it was scumminess or laziness but I did want to point it out at least.

Natiko

Banned
The Star vote was whatever, I didn't criticize it in a "you're scummy" kind of way, I was saying it was a worthless vote and I know you knew it. This current one I do have issue. You didn't really seem to notice the 180, you seemed to be piggybacking a vote/logic that someone else placed. I'm not voting you because I'm not even sure if it was scumminess or laziness but I did want to point it out at least.

You seem to have made the same exact mistake Faddy made in accusing me of piggybacking Kalor. That's simply incorrect as why Kalor voted Terra and why I voted Terra are two different things. I'm not exactly sure how I could have piggybacked anyone when I was the first person to post after Terra made the post that was suspicious to me and drew my vote.

Your conviction is commendable.

Heh. We've got time, I'll humor you.

VOTE: Acohrs

So you went from voting for him to voting with him to humor him?

VOTE: Terrabyte20xx

SexyFish

Banned
Okay, now this is just a rediculous misuse of mafia terms and reading intention.

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Hammer

Hammering is when someone votes the last one required to Lynch, at best you might be able to use that term to say that I am trying to lead a Lynch, and even then I have made it abundantly clear that is not what I am trying to do.
Yeah, didn't know that was an actual mafia term. My point still stands.

Fireblend

Banned
That's kinda the heart of why I was interested in defending Lifeline, and why I tried to take a more conciliatory approach, especially after he backed down under pressure when Fireblend said

which can create something of a "damned if you, damned if you don't" type of atmosphere for posting.
That was me hoping to get a reaction from Lifeline; I have no doubt someone new at being scum would have consulted with their team on how to respond and maybe a good or rash response there would have clued me in on what to think of him. I wasn't expecting others to react defensively though maybe it was for the best?

Also, I partially agree with the idea that maybe more inexperienced people want to hang back due to perceived aggressiveness from experienced players, but by that same token most here should know that day 1 aggression is mostly meant to evoke reactions that can be read later and odds of finding scum on D1 are still going to be super low no matter the amount of veteran players. If anything, stepping in to defend or justify passive playstyles kind of ruins that.

Sorian

Banned
You seem to have made the same exact mistake Faddy made in accusing me of piggybacking Kalor. That's simply incorrect as why Kalor voted Terra and why I voted Terra are two different things. I'm not exactly sure how I could have piggybacked anyone when I was the first person to post after Terra made the post that was suspicious to me and drew my vote.

Except that Faddy straight said he was copying what I said so if I made mistake then he would have too. That said, while the reasoning was different, the vote felt like it came from a weak justification but allowed you to get in on a vote. That's why I called it opportunistic. It came across as you trying to look busy.

Natiko

Banned

Except that Faddy straight said he was copying what I said so if I made mistake then he would have too. That said, while the reasoning was different, the vote felt like it came from a weak justification but allowed you to get in on a vote. That's why I called it opportunistic. It came across as you trying to look busy.
So first I'm piggybacking someone else's logic and didn't notice the 180 - then instead my logic is unique and I was the one that noticed the 180, but it's weak and just me trying to look busy? You're being about as consistent as Terra was when he flip flopped and earned a vote. Reads to me like a case of you throwing shade only to realize your original reasoning didn't fit. Now you're just changing your perception in order to maintain your original stance.

batsnacks

Lifeline isn't going to answer me about his confidence levels I guess.

Anyway he's probably mafia. Doubling down on the weird association reads was too much and gave him away.

this picture that Lifeline posted with his association theory
_Iy_o-.gif

is a pretty clear indicator that he knows his association theory is bad logic and that, as town, he is almost always wrong. Would have been a pretty great newbie gambit but I think he took it too far and gave himself away.

Terrabyte unvoting Lifeline is suspicious, terrabyte is back on the list.

I think these are the good lynches for today that everyone should be voting:
Kalor
Lifeline
Terrabyte20xx

Does anyone need to be added/removed from this list?

Verelios

I really dislike this. What did you expect to achieve voting in the first place if not more information? You haven't made any action to question, investigate or expound on why you're no longer interested in going through with the vote, you just caved under pressure. This is all kinds of opportunistic.
Kalor is too quiet for his big role.
What, Kalor has a big role I don't know about? Did he claim?

Top Bottom