• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) PC performance thread

Sotha_Sil

Bumping for the next page. Seriously the game feels SO much better to control without that garbage motion blur.

Add
Code:
r_ChromaticAberration = 0
r_Sharpening = 0
r_HDRBloomRatio = 0
r_MotionBlur = 0
to "C:\Users\<User>\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey\game.cfg"

Is it just me or is the crosshair off center? Like it's on the bottom 1/3 of the screen instead of in the middle.

Bugging the shit out of me lol. Other than that seems to run pretty well on a 6600K/1070 combo at 1440p.

It's probably on purpose, Destiny does this as well. EDIT: Better response beat me to it.

Colantonio discussed this on twitter. It's done on purpose. I would embed the tweet if I knew how on mobile. I think (?) this link will work:

https://mobile.twitter.com/rafcolantonio/status/857877751302422528

It's probably on purpose, Destiny does this as well. EDIT: Better response beat me to it.

Interesting, I never noticed it in Halo / Destiny but noticed it almost immediately in Prey. Minor quibble though. Was just worried my changing the FoV had broken something lol.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is it just me or is the crosshair off center? Like it's on the bottom 1/3 of the screen instead of in the middle.

Bugging the shit out of me lol. Other than that seems to run pretty well on a 6600K/1070 combo at 1440p.

It's not just you, and yes it's really annoying.

BigEmil

There was a time once when SMAA T2X was top of the line and very few games used it, and was the reason why Infamous Second Son looked so smooth. It's fascinating to see that it's already old and outdated now with the newer TSAA solutions.
I don't like TAA at all it adds noticeable blur while SMAA T2X less so but the latter is more demanding so much games wouldn't use it

jrcbandit

Bumping for the next page. Seriously the game feels SO much better to control without that garbage motion blur.

Add

to "C:\Users\<User>\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey\game.cfg"

Thanks for this! What's HDRBloom ratio though? I definitely want the horrors of Chromatic Aberration off and the annoying motion blur/sharpening.

I had this weird glitch where the mouse cursor in menus was off from where it actually was. Is this a known issue?
Are you downsampling?

Thanks for this! What's HDRBloom ratio though? I definitely want the horrors of Chromatic Aberration off and the annoying motion blur/sharpening.
From the Crysis 3 TweakGuide:
The r_HDRBloomRatio command has a major role to play in controlling the strength of bloom. The lighting is clearly sharper at a value of = 0; the default of = 0.15 adds some mild haze; and a much higher value of = 0.60 makes everything extremely hazy. Just using this one command, you should be able to arrive at an amount of bloom that suits your tastes.

Paragon

I don't like TAA at all it adds noticeable blur while SMAA T2X less so but the latter is more demanding so much games wouldn't use it
TAA with a post-AA sharpening step is the best of both worlds.
Does a good job eliminating aliasing, without making the image really blurry.
The higher resolution you render at, the less blurred TAA is to begin with too.

Yes and then some. The 1070 is commonly considered a 1440p/60fps card.

Considering the number of games for which I can't keep 1440p/60fps on a 1080, that seems like a bit of a stretch. Unless you're talking medium settings but almost no one is going to use medium settings over just running at a lower resolution.

Having stuttering too, I tried rolling back my stutter we'll see if that fixes it. Game also doesn't seem to particularly like being vsync'd, gods am I coveting a G-Sync capable monitor right now. (Worst part is the one I have supports freesync but, of course, I can't use it.)

GavinUK86

Having stuttering too, I tried rolling back my stutter we'll see if that fixes it. Game also doesn't seem to particularly like being vsync'd, gods am I coveting a G-Sync capable monitor right now. (Worst part is the one I have supports freesync but, of course, I can't use it.)

Game is fine with vsync here. Most people reckon the stuttering is gone with the old driver. I never updated in the first place.

rtcn63

Considering the number of games for which I can't keep 1440p/60fps on a 1080, that seems like a bit of a stretch. Unless you're talking medium settings but almost no one is going to use medium settings over just running at a lower resolution.

What CPU? What games? I've got a 1060 which is recommended as a 1080p/60fps card, and it's mostly done high/ultra settings even with an old i5. I'm sure it'll change as the years pass.

So per this CryEngine documentation, I tried r_supersampling, and lo and behold it worked:

r_supersampling = 0 (default value, off):
34433082236_c81e03f6e8_o.jpg

r_supersampling = 2 (2x2 supersampling):

Expectedly, the performance hit is pretty massive. This is on a 4670K + GTX1080, at 3440x1440. Let me note though that I have a 75 FPS cap in place which is why the first screenshot is pinned at 75. Oh and sorry for the images being JPGs.

@ JaseC - maybe it's a good idea to add a section to the OP with a list of all the known config options that've been found so far?

Tecnniqe

Banned
According to Intel Tuning Software my CPU is only using ~20% of its power in this game at 6880x2880.

Looks pretty great too aesthetically.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
@ JaseC - maybe it's a good idea to add a section to the OP with a list of all the known config options that've been found so far?

Yeah, I'll sift through the thread later today. It's approaching 6am here and I'm not at my PC.

Edit: And done.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Audio seems off.

Some things are loud, other very quiet.

Sometimes a person talking blow my ears out and other times I feel like I can barely hear a thing.

NattyDread

Neo Member
Can somebody else confirm that there is no difference in SSR quality between half and full res options?
I have it set to full-res and when I start the game SSR are off (even tho setting is still on full). I then have to set them to half, apply (at which point they render) and then set to full... but I see no difference in quality. They look pretty low-res / blocky to me.

so I'm guessing there's no way to remove that chromatic aberration effect from the texts you can read? Because good lord, it's actually triggering a migraine for me. Who the fuck thought that was an acceptable visual effect? The ini edit doesn't seem to affect them.

Tecnniqe

Banned
so I'm guessing there's no way to remove that chromatic aberration effect from the texts you can read? Because good lord, it's actually triggering a migraine for me. Who the fuck thought that was an acceptable visual effect? The ini edit doesn't seem to affect them.

Question is if the text is CA applied by the engine or purposefully designed like that (static).

Can somebody else confirm that there is no difference in SSR quality between half and full res options?
I have it set to full-res and when I start the game SSR are off (even tho setting is still on full). I then have to set them to half, apply (at which point they render) and then set to full... but I see no difference in quality. They look pretty low-res / blocky to me.

I seem to be able to get the game to render full quality by first setting SSR to off, then exiting the config menu, and then going back in and re-enabling full SSR. But, you're right reflections are always off whenever I start the game. So, I'd wager most people are playing the game without knowing SSR is actually off, thinking it's enabled because the config says so.

A good way to test SSR is to throw objects onto Morgan's office desk and see them bounce around while casting real time reflections.

I don't suppose there's any way to lower the volume only for the combat music? Shit is still too loud for me. The sudden, loud combat music scares me more than the actual monster jumping out at me. Lol

Paragon

I seem to be able to get the game to render full quality by first setting SSR to off, then exiting the config menu, and then going back in and re-enabling full SSR. But, you're right reflections are always off whenever I start the game. So, I'd wager most people are playing the game without knowing SSR is actually off, thinking it's enabled because the config says so.

A good way to test SSR is to throw objects onto Morgan's office desk and see them bounce around while casting real time reflections.

I was just about to post saying that it seems like SSR doesn't work at all unless you toggle it in-game.
Toggling SSR while the game is running seems to break it though.
Some rooms look fine after toggling it, others are completely black with lots of artifacting.

Game started with SSR on "half-res" setting:
nossr9ylcv.png

Toggled off/on:
fullssr8azie.png

Check the reflected green light on the cart at the left of the screen.

Varna

Folks... please tell me you can change/turn off the middle mouse functions. It's driving me crazy. I keep trying to use it to cycle through weapons like I do in every game and it's killing my enjoyment.

Paragon

Friend is getting 40fps at 4k on SLI 1080.
GPU1 at 85% GPU Usage
GPU2 at 60% GPU Usage
Latest driver
I don't think that SMAA T1x/T2x are compatible with SLI, try disabling if they are enabled.
Also try rolling back the driver to 381.89

Axial

i5 3570k clocked at 4.2ghz, 12 gigs ram and a GTX970. Runs solid 60fps @ high preset and no stutter yet. My only complaint so far is that I'm getting random black squares popping up on npc heads, could be a driver issue though since I haven't updated them yet.

Flandy

I don't think that SMAA T1x/T2x are compatible with SLI, try disabling if they are enabled.
Also try rolling back the driver to 381.89

Try the previous one, the recent game-ready drivers are causing issues like stuttering, possibly other things.

I'm getting 90fps at 4k with SLI 1080s and some added Reshade, so there's something wrong there.
Latest driver as well.

Friend switched from fullscreen, to borderless, and then back to fullscreen which seems to have fixed the issue

NattyDread

Neo Member

Did you try comparing them (full) to half-res ones? To me it looks completely the same...dunno...

Bydobob

GTX 1080 @ c2025Mhz
6700k @ 4.5
16Gb DDR4
Windows 10
Driver 382.05
2560x1440 GSync
Max settings

About 3 hours played, well over 100fps, mostly in the 120+ range. Stutters like a bugger at times though, and bug-ridden to hell and back. Sound cutting out when it is not supposed to, mimics getting stuck on walls, Alex Yu's face obscured by a big black rectangle during the opening... Game is also rather flat and functional to look at.

Annoying there is no in-game FOV option, and you can't seem to normalise mouse sensitivity for running. Means I'm continually switching mouse DPI on the fly. There's a good game underneath, but I might put this down until the inevitable update or two.

rtcn63

GTX 1080 @ c2025Mhz
6700k @ 4.5
16Gb DDR4
Windows 10
Driver 382.05
2560x1440 GSync
Max settings

About 3 hours played, well over 100fps, mostly in the 120+ range. Stutters like a bugger at times though, and bug-ridden to hell and back. Sound cutting out when it is not supposed to, mimics getting stuck on walls, Alex Yu's face obscured by a big black rectangle during the opening... Game is also rather flat and functional to look at.

Annoying there is no in-game FOV option, and you can't seem to normalise mouse sensitivity for running. Means I'm continually switching mouse DPI on the fly. There's a good game underneath, but I might put this down until the inevitable update or two.

Stutter seems to be a thing with the 382.05 driver, roll back. https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/69fya1/pcgh_prey_benchmarks/

I was just about to post saying that it seems like SSR doesn't work at all unless you toggle it in-game.
Toggling SSR while the game is running seems to break it though.
Some rooms look fine after toggling it, others are completely black with lots of artifacting.

That's a pretty good example. It's really neat when it works, and it makes a huge difference to the overall presentation of the game IMO. By the way, GPU usage goes up quite a bit in some rooms when SSR is properly enabled. 4K60 on a single 1080ti may no longer be possible once SSR is patched.

Did you try comparing them (full) to half-res ones? To me it looks completely the same...dunno...

I thought they looked different, but I may be mistaken.:p

Top Bottom