• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unexplored - The great action roguelike you probably haven't heard of

$9.99, PC
http://store.steampowered.com/app/506870/
Launch trailer | Gameplay clip | Dungeon Generation explained
Unexplored is an accessible yet challenging roguelite action rpg, featuring a fantastic level generator, and a surprising amount of content and depth.Explore dangerous dungeons, solve mysterious puzzles and engage hundreds of foes, big and small, in intense melee combat.

Easy to Play, Easy to Die
Fantastic Generated Dungeons (using brand new tech)
Real Emergent Gameplay with many Tactical Options
Intense, Real-time, Dual Wielding Melee Combat
Stealth Mechanics (dungeon crawling like a real rogue…)
Over 50 dangerous bosses
Challenging, generated puzzles
Adaptive, original soundtrack

ss_18e976e814d108cb10d4352900423fef73873daa.1920x1080.jpg
ss_a3e559e83bd051558fb1064a3a7e73d573b50a74.1920x1080.jpg

ss_a9746854d5068ff2b6d8f368833d03387fcfc943.1920x1080.jpg
ss_d86b0c07ae2f78dc8dd3d956aa095cab3953510d.1920x1080.jpg

It's always a nice surprise when I discover a game I had never heard, since I tend to follow indie games pretty closely.

So seeing Unexplored getting an RPS Recommended review instantly caught my attention
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/23/unexplored-review/
Unexplored generates some of the best dungeons I’ve ever seen. On my best run so far, I forged a sword of despair and enemies trembled and fled when I pointed it in their general direction. On my most entertaining run, a Dagger of Shrieking fused itself to my hand. Every twenty seconds or so, it would scream, alerting every bastard thing in the dungeon to my presence.

So many roguelikes (and lites), so little time. What a pleasure it is, then, to find Unexplored, a new dungeon-crawler that immediately stands out from the pack, and that can be played swiftly and without too much time spent on the learning curve. It’s a wonderful game that creates my favourite procedural levels since Invisible, Inc.

The game left Early Access today, and after playing about 75 minutes, it's well worth checking out. For such a simple control scheme, there's a surprising amount of depth here. Dual wielding weapons or wielding just one for a two-handed damage buff, environmental effects like propagating fire and freezing water, very varied enemies and a combat system that encourages positioning and timing, equippable armor and cloaks and rings, puzzles and gods and traps.

My most recent death occurred because I threw a torch at an enemy in a room full of bushes, which killed the enemy to burn to death but the fire to spread across the underbrush, filling the room with smoke and blinding me for several seconds (literally a blind status effect that blacked out that room), causing me to panic-run into more flames, and burn to death.

The art style is simple, but has its own unique style due to being 3D/not flat.

BashNasty

I picked this game up today too, also based on the RPS recommendation.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. The level generation maybe feels good (haven't played the game enough yet to know. I'm not blown away by it), but I do have an issue with the combat: it feels muddy. The idea of pointing your weapon at an enemy to kill it is fine, but he way the recharge mechanic works gets a little muddy. Essentially every time you attack, your weapon grays out for a second and does nothing. This is fine, but it does seem to lead to my character getting hit in some unexpected ways.

I'm gonna give the game several more chances, but I won't deny that I've been turned off by the pure "feel" of it at this point. I really hope that changes.

More_Badass is the gift that keeps on giving, especially with those kickass indie threads.

This game seems right up my alley. I recall when I first tried out TOME (Tales of Maj'eyal) a couple of years back. I played 10-12 hours a day for almost a week straight.

Edit: Bought. I just need to find time for it between For Honor, Dragon Ball Fusions...and Horizon next week.

I picked this game up today too, also based on the RPS recommendation.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. The level generation maybe feels good (haven't played the game enough yet to know. I'm not blown away by it), but I do have an issue with the combat: it feels muddy. The idea of pointing your weapon at an enemy to kill it is fine, but he way the recharge mechanic works gets a little muddy. Essentially every time you attack, your weapon grays out for a second and does nothing. This is fine, but it does seem to lead to my character getting hit in some unexpected ways.

I'm gonna give the game several more chances, but I won't deny that I've been turned off by the pure "feel" of it at this point. I really hope that changes.
I found dual wielding helps with the attack speed, since your other weapon is readied while the first cooldown is happening. I believe weapons have different cooldowns depending on size, so daggers can attack faster than a spear

Unicorn

Waypoint's stream of Unexplored totally sold me on the game. In the video, Austin Walker manages to complete a run while describing why it's so great. It's a really fun video, about 2.5 hours long.

Now with the Steam sale, I'm finally making the jump. We'll see how far I get.

Yes! I watched that too.

Also, this has controller support, but it is pretty janky for main menu navigation and isn't the fastest for inventory management - also, can't use the forge or the like due to not being able to "click and drag." Luckily I have my mouse next to me for those moments.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just bought it and will check it out this weekend. The not so steep learning curve is definitely appealing

Syril

This looks really in the tradition of the original classic style roguelikes, whereas nowadays the term roguelike has been kind of muddied to where it tends to more often than not mean "action game with procedurally generated levels and no checkpoints".

krpiper

I saw this mentioned in a thread yesterday and its super fun so far! Its also on sale for $8. Highly recommended if you have an interest in the genre

First impressions? The soundtrack is awesome. Seriously good.

And I'm bad. I died to an earthen octorok; he shot a rock at me, I shielded it with my shovel (whoops forgot to equip my shield), was then knocked back and fell off a cliff to my death. (I had burned all of my potions up to that point on... er... burning emergencies, from all the fire traps I triggered.)

Unicorn

First impressions? The soundtrack is awesome. Seriously good.

And I'm bad. I died to an earthen octorok; he shot a rock at me, I shielded it with my shovel (whoops forgot to equip my shield), was then knocked back and fell off a cliff to my death. (I had burned all of my potions up to that point on... er... burning emergencies, from all the fire traps I triggered.)
Music and sound design is really good. Also OST is free!

I'd love workshop support to help generate more tile sets or variations to magic items. I am this only because I found the dagger of shrieking mentioned on the RPS article and thought those sort of magic attributes would be more varied.

Also, I was playing this until 2 am and I'm up 5 hours later getting ready to jump back in!

Waypoint's stream of Unexplored totally sold me on the game. In the video, Austin Walker manages to complete a run while describing why it's so great. It's a really fun video, about 2.5 hours long.

Now with the Steam sale, I'm finally making the jump. We'll see how far I get.
This is really good, shows off a lot of cool stuff. Austin hitting the enemy's smoke potion mid-air with his thrown dagger. The little hint of the gargoyles cracking in their stone shells before ambushing him. The interconnected nature of lore, puzzles, and secrets across multiple floors.

So... this was in the first room on the first floor of Unexplored.

I call it, "Too Many Kobolds."
I only stood a chance because the bartender gave me his spear after I treated him to some beer.

And here's the sequel, which I dubbed "Too Many Spiders." I found it a few rooms down.
(You see that pile of bones covered in spiders? That's me!)

It is actually a good showcase for Unexplored's level design. There is a window visible in the top left of the room, which I glanced into earlier. I found the room's portal (which has an agonising, seconds-long cooldown after use) immediately afterwards, but did not realise that the room was filled with spider eggs. I thought they were... pots or something. I was all like, "ooh secret treasure room!" It turns out the treasure was me.

The worst part? The incinerate potion in my inventory would have made short work of them, had I known what it was. Never thought to throw it at them; the ensuing fire would have engulfed the entire room.

Oh well. RIP Ash Xheressdra. Your descendant will venture forth and surely have better luck.

Unicorn

Man, this is something I wish would come to the Switch. Really enjoying it so far.

Yes, but I find myself thinking that more and more about just about every indie game I play.

Lately I have thoroughly enjoyed throwing potions and using scrolls with reckless abandon. Accidentally wiping and entire room of bats by accidentally reading a scroll of light was fortuitous. Was pitch black and seeing the textual clues of the creatures sporadically flapping. The occasional black wing slipping into range of my poor torch's light. I was hoping it was a descent scroll or something, but the blinding light actually hurt the weak bats enough to just straight up kill them - maybe a heart attack?

Also, Haven't had a crash since following the advice in the Steam thread: Turn off vsync and some weird time setting right next to it. And, when you load into the dungeon alt+tab out and back into the game.

I've been hooked a lot of Brogue on iPad lately, and it's absolutely accurate that the most apt description I've seen of Unexplored is an updated expanded Brogue. From the unknown scrolls and the enchanted weapons that need to be used X times to learn their secrets, to the propagating fire/ignitable gas and the kobolds, Unexplored and Brogue share a lot of DNA

Unicorn

I find myself thinking a lot about the adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress. I keep dreaming of a crossover, at least in the procedural lore and magic item creation. Having more variation and "wackiness" a la DF would make this game truly feel infinitely replayable. I don't know how to accurately explain what I mean to the devs to even have that sort of feature implemented. I am starting to see the formulaic fill-in-the-blanks format to the lore in books and wish there was more there. DF just has a decade of development on that sort of things, so unrealistic to compare the two.

Combat feels really good in this though, especially as a dual-dagger rogue just letting enemies slide right into my blades as I stand in the shadows.

I find myself thinking a lot about the adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress. I keep dreaming of a crossover, at least in the procedural lore and magic item creation. Having more variation and "wackiness" a la DF would make this game truly feel infinitely replayable. I don't know how to accurately explain what I mean to the devs to even have that sort of feature implemented. I am starting to see the formulaic fill-in-the-blanks format to the lore in books and wish there was more there. DF just has a decade of development on that sort of things, so unrealistic to compare the two.

Combat feels really good in this though, especially as a dual-dagger rogue just letting enemies slide right into my blades as I stand in the shadows.
Ha, yeah, that might be a tad unfair comparison/hope. Only thing that really compared to Dwarf Fortress is Rimworld, Adventure Mode works so well because you exist in the same massively complicated simulation that makes the management side and AI work. Roguelikes are systemic and emergent by the nature of the genre, but most don't also have to be able to support a fully fledged super complex base-building/management game as well

Unicorn

Ha, yeah, that might be a tad unfair comparison/hope. Only thing that really compared to Dwarf Fortress is Rimworld, Adventure Mode works so well because you exist in the same massively complicated simulation that makes the management side and AI work. Roguelikes are systemic and emergent by the nature of the genre, but most don't also have to be able to support a fully fledged super complex base-building/management game as well

Yeah. I think the aspect I'm thinking about is the books mentioning world lore, such as creatures and features like ants being fire-resistent, rat infestations with large rats, etc.

Those aspects could be individualized to each generation of a dungeon so it feels like each seed could be it's own game with it's own logic/lore that governs that dungeon. The continuity currently present in sequential rooms is impressive - books foreshadowing, multiple floors playing with gas and flammables, dungeons with lots of pools or forests, etc. Those aspects could be expanded. Even just expanding book formats and algorithms/templates to add more flavor text would go a long way since the game has very basic visuals to aid with imagination filling in the gaps.

StarkFist

This is pretty much the roguelite I've always wanted. It plays just like Brogue or Pixel Dungeon, but the movement and combat are sticky and fun. I'm having a blast with it.

Unicorn

http://steamcommunity.com/games/506870/announcements/detail/1258041022190483096

90e82a6119fb19cfea18ee6d21af8b9d6bfc0d90.jpg

A new class makes it appearance in the Dungeon of Doom, along with a new class of weapon: we've just added the Musketeer and fire arms.

Classes and achievements
The Musketeer is a new unlockable class in Unexplored. You'll need to get the brand new 'Dodge This!' achievement to be able to start as a Musketeer. The Musketeer starts with a pistol and hat so fancy it will make the Wizard jealous.

We've also added 11 other new achievements. Eight of these are class specific challenges, to be executed with a particular class on the hardest difficulty setting. Succeeding will give you a permanent boost to that class.

Class specific drops and game balance
In this upgrade we've also changed the balance somewhat. First of all, the game now generates class specific items as rewards inside the dungeon. If you play the same seed but with different classes you will notice that the Wizard is more likely to find a new staff, whereas the Warrior is more is more likely to find potions of Strength or an enchanted sword.

In addition, staves no longer automatically recharge, but their charges typically last longer. We fully expect to twist some of these dials up and down for a little while longer in order to get the balance just right.

Fire arms
Fire arms are a new rare weapon type that makes it appearance in the Dungeon of Doom. Although they cause a lot of damage they are not easy to use. First of all they require gunpowder and bullets to load, and those are very rare. In addition, they are slow to reload especially if you are also moving at the same time. Better make those shots count and make sure you also have a melee weapon ready for when the enemy closes in.

There are a couple of varieties of fire arms. Pistols can be fired with one hand but have poor range. Muskets have good range but require two hands. Blunderbusses don't require bullets, they fire a short ranged grape shot instead that might hit multiple targets at once.

Lucky is the adventurer that finds a gun and ammunition hidden in the Dungeon of Doom. It is more likely you'll need to pry them from the dead hands of their previous owners.

To summarize the changes:

New features
- Adds the Musketeer character class.
- Adds 12 new in-game achievements
- Adds Pistols, Muskets, Blunderbusses, Ratling Guns, Gunpowder, and Bombs.
- Adds the Kobold Boomer.
- Adds Ratling Gunners.
- Inventory can now be auto sorted.

Game balance
- Updated the loading mechanics of the crossbow and the repeater crossbow.
- In the Ripley Run enemies no longer respawn right next to an exit.
- Introduces class-specific loot.
- Wizard start with extra scroll of recharge.
- Staves no longer recharge over time (but have more charges to start with).
- Reduces the costs for some high-end starting equipment.

Bug fixes
- Staves do not lose energy when switching levels.
- Fixed an issue with items of Hubris.
- You can only collect blood from kills.

What's next?
We will be fixing bugs and addressing balance issues as always. In addition, JD will focus on the generation of rooms and interiors next week, while Elias is working on a system that will allow you to set your own traps. In the meantime, any feedback is welcome!

Class features sound neat, but my purist self feels a seed should not be affected in such a way that people have various experiences.

This is pretty much the roguelite I've always wanted. It plays just like Brogue or Pixel Dungeon, but the movement and combat are sticky and fun. I'm having a blast with it.

The rogue class, or rather the use of non-activating stabbing with daggers, secured this game as the spiritual successor to the very first game I ever played: Castle Adventure on an old DOS computer in the late 80s.

It was a game designed by one dude (I think 13 years old over a summer break), but was a maze-like game where you searched for items and clues to escape the castle with as much treasure as you could carry. It was obtuse and combat was just pressing up against the enemy like the combat in Unexplored. Took me until my teens to finally finish it and by then the magnetic large floppy disk had begun degrading and literal holes formed in the castle as glitched ASCII art tore ways for me to escape easier.

Unexplored is the first game to give me that sense of hand-crafted dungeon crawling adventure from almost 30 years ago. Every seed is like a new version of that game. I think for that nostalgic reason alone Unexplored will crack into my top 10 list of favorite games. It gets so much right and I really hope they expand and improve what is already present.

Huh, I was wondering what gunpower was for. I guess this is it!

I'm not looking forward to gun-wielding enemies.

And I like the class-influenced nature of drops; I generally prefer it when character creation has significance beyond the start. It is part of why I got so into FTL, TOME, and One Way Heroics--the other roguelikes I've really enjoyed.

MoonGred

I knew I should've jumped on the sale they had recently. Had been staring at it for a while as well, if only I had known about this gaf thread.

Leave it to More_badass to find these wonderful gems to enjoy. My source for all Indie games on GAF. Haven't let me down yet.

Do you unlock anything upon more playthroughs on this? One thing I don't love about some roguelikes is losing everything when you start over. Even in FTL at least you can unlock a ship sometimes!

Do you unlock anything upon more playthroughs on this? One thing I don't love about some roguelikes is losing everything when you start over. Even in FTL at least you can unlock a ship sometimes!
Yes, new classes and new shop items. You keep your gold between playthroughs, which can be used to get some clues and hints from the tavern, and to buy items before descending into the dungeon

Unicorn

Was the daily dungeon fucking borked for anyone else today? Lots of walls were not loaded/invisible and shit was just a clusterfuck.

Lasted a few hours and made it to floor 8, but a double stacked spike plant finally got me.

Was the daily dungeon fucking borked for anyone else today? Lots of walls were not loaded/invisible and shit was just a clusterfuck.

Lasted a few hours and made it to floor 8, but a double stacked spike plant finally got me.

I did the daily, but it's today not yesterday's unfortunately... Your broked daily's random seed is: 100327401 if anyone wants to try it out. (There is no easy way to copy the random seed in-game that I can find, which seems like an oversight.)

So I met this instead:
Dual-wielding spiders are a crime against nature.

Random seed: 867432564P, if you dare.

Edit
Yup, random seed 100327401 is completely borked:
Those black tiles are broken graphics, and some of the floors are actually walls. The procedural generation system must've broken down at the visual part, because the dungeon itself does seem to function. It's like it wants to apply visual flair that doesn't exist, so it just stays empty instead.

Unicorn

Yeah, I actually made it surprisingly far due to having to be even more cautious. Some floors just felt like FUCK YOUs though because it would be all water or all dark plus invisible walls. Luckily I brought extra healing potions and found quite a few.

Unicorn

Aww yeah!
f39dff9f66836eebf9f48332fffa81b781a145f0.jpg

We found our interior decorator sleeping on the job, so we fired* him. Good riddance too, as we noticed for a while now that our groundskeeper was much more imaginative with creating nice caves and poisonous lakes and waterfalls and what not. The new decorator is much better and you'll find many rooms in the Dungeon of Doom revamped and restyled on your next visit.

*) By 'fired' we mean torched and eaten alive by the Red Dragon, obviously...

Generator Remake
It took us a little longer than expected, but we've improved the part of the generator which is creating the interiors for the dungeons. We've also added more furniture and new room types for you to enjoy. The results are mostly atmospheric, but the impact on the gameplay experience is still significant. And it lays the groundwork for extra room types to be added in the near future that will have a bigger impact on the gameplay. You'll see...

Game Balance
We've also reevaluated the code that is responsible for selecting puzzles. As we noticed some puzzle types were much rarer than intended. This should be better now.

Bug Fixes
Yes, we fixed some bugs, but in general the generator remake was so demanding that we did not really kept a record. But they were mostly minor anyway. Next week, we'll start fixing a couple of more important issues that were reported over the last couple of weeks.

In any case, we hope you'll enjoy the revamped interiors of our lovely little dungeon, and as always, any feed back is appreciated!

F!ReW!Re

LTTP, just saw this thread and bought it straight away.
Any tips that would make my play-through more fun or just go in blind?

Steam really wants me to try this game, curators, daily recommends, etc.

I wish it had a demo, I'd love to try it. I guess I could always refund if it is not for me. Looks really cool though.

Unicorn

I wish it had a demo, I'd love to try it. I guess I could always refund if it is not for me. Looks really cool though.

2 hours is totally enough time to get a full taste of what this game is and if it's up your alley.

I'm looking forward to poltergeist rooms, where the chairs try to kill me.

....Yeah, that's totally gonna happen.

If you don't want to gamble with refunds, this video/article from Waypoint illustrates its excellence. I'd give it a look if you're on the fence, it was what made me aware of/sold me on the game.

LTTP, just saw this thread and bought it straight away.
Any tips that would make my play-through more fun or just go in blind?

Blind is fine, but if you want a tip: don't underestimate the value of throwing daggers. They save lives.

Sarcasm

i like it on as it full heals if the hit would kill you. Rations are for slow heal over time. Magic potions are their own thing.

Ah I ask because searching I find people complaining its using a life potion over a potion or something..but nothing new so I didn't know.

What % do you set it at?

New update coming, might release today(?):

The Sacred Sites update is inbound. If everything goes according to plan it will release tomorrow. This update will sometimes spawn special floors that are dangerous, mysterious, and/or rewarding. These floors are: Sophie's Sanctum, The Lake of Cleansing, The Forge of Destiny, The Labyrinth, The Labyrinthine Library, and the Arbiter Grounds.

Most of these floors tie in with one of the three deities in the game. Making their presence more prominent, and putting more weight on your decision what god to follow.

Many of these Sacred Sites will be hard to get into, but the rewards will worth it.

If you cannot wait to explore these new sites you could help us by switching to the unstable branch. We've just uploaded the latest build to that branch for you to test out... If you dare!

To switch, simply right click Unexplored in your Steam Library, select properties, and go the to Updates tab page.

And you would be helping us making sure everything works as intended before we roll out the update to everybody...
[Source]
And the dev mentions in the comments that, yes, these sites are still randomly generated.

Edit: It's live now.

6ca06255b47cb7a53d676574fc8e383d01109f29.jpg

Did you ever want to explore the fabled Labyrinthine Library (If only to look up how that is spelled correctly)? Always wanted to pay the proper respects to Lady Sophie in her own Sanctum (and ask Her why on earth She heals all indiscriminately, even followers of Lord Grievous)? Now is your chance because this week's update adds 6 special floors you might uncover during your stay in the Dungeon of Doom, including these two.

The Sites
The Sacred Sites added are The Labyrinthine Library, Sophie's Sanctum, The Lake of Cleansing, The Forge of Destiny, The Arbiter Grounds, and the Twisted Labyrinth. Gaining entrance to these special floors can by difficult, but the rewards are special, too. What about forging your own special sword on the very forge used by Density to teach mankind the art of metal-craft?

We won't tell you any more details, as it is so much better to explore these floors and their mysteries yourself.

A Little Contest: Get Your Name in the Game!
To celebrate and in honor of all the gods in Unexplored, we hold a special little contest with this release: the first five players that find the new Sacred Sites will be allowed to suggest a name for additional special floors (with our consent, of course). This allows you to write your name, or your character's name, into Unexplored's lore for all eternity.

The rules are simple, find the site and take a screenshot indicating it really is the fabled place and post a link to that screenshot as a comment to this thread. No duplicate sites though, so if you find the Twisted Library first, you win. But if somebody beat you to that particular level, you are left empty-handed.

Other Features and Fixes
- Adds the ability to mark items
- Catches more instances with class items not dropping
- Fixes small issue with the Ring of Light
- You can grab seeds again
Make note of the contest (in bold)!

Purkake4

Banned
This is really fun, I like all the environmental interaction, the puzzles and secrets. Kind of like a top down Catacomb Kids. Also nice to see the devs building on it.

Wow! I just bought this a couple of days ago due to the recommendation of someone in the Steam Summer Sale hidden gems thread, and boy it is great! I was skeptical about it at first, but the more I play, the more the game reveals its depth to me. Awesome! Maybe the best roguelikelike game that I've played.
Surprised so few own this game and there's not much of a buzz around it.

I just noticed in the patch notes that they're planning on adding some form of multiplayer eventually, which took me by surprise. I wonder how the multiplayer might be implemented, Dark Souls style invasion might be fun in this game.

I like the art, but when starting out, some things are just way too stylized for there own good and make it difficult to tell what you're looking at. I also wish I could have more than one eye!

Top Bottom