• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 PC performance thread

I GOT RID OF THE FUCKING GRAIN!!

Some quick googling about unreal engine 4, added this to the same scalibility.ini file

r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=0

so here is my file now

Code:
[PostProcessQuality@2]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

[PostProcessQuality@3]

this file for anyone just seeing this now
C:\Users\*user*\AppData\Local\TekkenGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Scalability.ini

I can't remove for some reason. I have it as read only but the film grain is still there
M8NN48b.png

Even with rendering scale set to 200 there is no difference on character models.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/211677

Maybe it doesn't work past a certain resolution?

As for that article I used the pictures they provided and background resolution is definitely affected

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/211685

My theory is whenever character customization is entered, the game does a hard lock to 100. So, if this screenshot was taken after the character customization screen had been opened, then it wouldn't look any different. You would need to reboot the game to actually get the 200 scale.

Edit: scaling looks different for sure. I guess with low settings the backgrounds are indistinguishable

Not looking to max the game out or run it on ultra settings, but could I run it at locked 60fps with everything on high?
Been hearing that the system requirements on the page aren't exactly accurate and that low end PCs can actually run the game quite well.
i5-4460 3.2Ghz
Radeon R9 380
8GB Ram

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can't remove for some reason. I have it as read only but the film grain is still there
M8NN48b.png

He was mistaken; the game doesn't use r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=x for film grain. Currently, as per the OP, the only way to disable it is to reduce the post-processing effects setting to medium, which also disables ambient occlusion.

Edit: I've added a note to the OP advising that adding r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=0 to Scalability.ini doesn't work.

Here's a comparison of the character models before and after entering the character customization screen. "before" is my low res settings, which is what I intentionally set it to. The "after" is what happened after I entered the character customization screen, and then started another fight. I didn't touch the graphics settings, and the settings still display my original values:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/211686

This may have the same effect for those who are using higher settings. Entering the character select screen my be causing your settings to be reset to default (at least the rendering scale)

Momentary

Banned
Here's a comparison of the character models before and after entering the character customization screen. "before" is my low res settings, which is what I intentionally set it to. The "after" is what happened after I entered the character customization screen, and then started another fight. I didn't touch the graphics settings, and the settings still display my original values:

This may have the same effect for those who are using higher settings. Entering the character select screen my be causing your settings to be reset to default (at least the rendering scale)

Man that looks like it could run on a VITA.

He was mistaken; the game doesn't use r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=x for film grain. Currently, as per the OP, the only way to disable it is to reduce the post-processing effects setting to medium, which also disables ambient occlusion.

Looking at it closer AO is still there just not as intense. Low takes it off completely. I'm trying to figure this grain thing out. I'm reading UNREAL 4 FAQs and so far the only thing that I've read that deals with film grain is r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization.

Looks like a candidate for
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478074

Renekton

『Inaba Resident』;239075745 said:
Not looking to max the game out or run it on ultra settings, but could I run it at locked 60fps with everything on high?
Been hearing that the system requirements on the page aren't exactly accurate and that low end PCs can actually run the game quite well.
i5-4460 3.2Ghz
Radeon R9 380
8GB Ram
Yea it's good for high.

290 owners are running ultra.

Parsnip

If anyone's feeling adventurous you might try
[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.Tonemapper.Quality=3

for the grain. I don't have the game so I can't test if it works, or if it has any unwanted side effects, but you know, try it out if you feel like it.

JaseC

Looking at it closer AO is still there just not as intense.

Ah.

Low takes it off completely. I'm trying to figure this grain thing out. I'm reading UNREAL 4 FAQs and so far the only thing that I've read that deals with film grain is r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization.

As Parsnip says above, there's also the more general r.TonemapperQuality, but 0 merely corresponds to "Low" rather than "Off" as per this list and would presumably reduce the quality of other effects that rely on tone mapping.

Edit: Never mind!

Momentary

Banned
Okay

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/211698

this is with tonemapper.quality set to 3.

Code:
[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.Tonemapper.Quality=3

tonemapper.quality set to 2
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/211699

Seems to get rid of the green filter over the scene.

Code:
[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.Tonemapper.Quality=2

I don't know if tonemapper.GrainQuantization and Tonemapper.Quality work hand in hand, but someone else can try and figure that out.

If anyone's feeling adventurous you might try
[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.Tonemapper.Quality=3

for the grain. I don't have the game so I can't test if it works, or if it has any unwanted side effects, but you know, try it out if you feel like it.

Damn just noticed you beat me to the punch.

I saw that both of these commands are used in conjunction here
https://github.com/u3games/UE4_RPG_...Config/CoalescedSourceConfigs/Scalability.ini

Figured I'd give it a go.

Parsnip

As Parsnip says above, there's also the more general r.TonemapperQuality, but 0 merely corresponds to "Low" rather than "Off" as per this list and it would presumably reduce the quality of other effects that rely on tone mapping.

I think that list is actually wrong (or possibly outdated?). It mentions "1: high (default, with high frequency pixel pattern to fight 8 bit color quantization)" for Tonemapper.Quality, but that description is actually what the r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization does, avoids color banding because of 8bit quantization.

r.Tonemapper.Quality goes from 0 to 5, where I found 3 to be the magic bullet but who knows if Tekken uses the other Tonemapper properties.

Looking at the comparison above, I'd say it might be good? I don't see any obvious differences beyond the grain at least. Of course, it might be different on other stages.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope they patch in an in-game setting. :D

Tain

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/211697

I got the film grain removed, but i think I did something to the lighting by mistake.

I used

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.Filter.SizeScale=0
r.Tonemapper.Quality=0

Gotta figure out what I did cause I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

The tonemapper is a big ol deal in UE4. Disabling it entirely (with that last line) can mess with postprocess effects across the board.

I'm guessing that something like film grain is likely to be more custom and handled in some post processing material that may not be tied to any r. engine settings.

Momentary

Banned
The tonemapper is a big ol deal in UE4. Disabling it entirely (with that last line) can mess with postprocess effects across the board.

I'm guessing that something like film grain in this game is handled in some post processing effect and isn't tied specifically to any UE4 engine settings.

Yeah man. I'm figured that out quick. I'm a cyber security guy. I don't know squat about this sort of thing.

Anyway this seems to be the ideal setting.

Code:
[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.Tonemapper.Quality=3

r.Tonemapper.Quality goes from 0 to 5, where I found 3 to be the magic bullet but who knows if Tekken uses the other Tonemapper properties.

Looking at the comparison above, I'd say it might be good? I don't see any obvious differences beyond the grain at least. Of course, it might be different on other stages.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope they patch in an in-game setting. :D

Yeah 3 seems to be the magic number. And it looks good in all stages.

JaseC

I don't think r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=0 actually achieves anything in this case. That was the original suggestion, but everybody else who tried it reported no noticeable impact.

Momentary

Banned
I should set this up correctly. Forgot High setting needed it too.

Code:
[PostProcessQuality@2]
r.Tonemapper.Quality=3

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.Tonemapper.Quality=3

JaseC

Does this game have HDR support on PC or not? Seems like someone mentioned it does on here.

It does, but there's no option to enable/disable it. Instead, it enables itself automatically if your setup is HDR-capable.

Renekton

Anyone experiencing random freezes during gameplay? Almost once per match, the FPS nosedives for a split-second when effects are thick.

i5-4690
16GB DDR3-1600
GTX 1080Ti
Samsung EVO 850
Windows 10 64-bit
1200p Ultra Fullscreen
Driver version 383.33

(Yes rig is imbalanced, gonna fix that in a couple months)

Does this game have HDR support on PC or not? Seems like someone mentioned it does on here.
As mentioned above if you have W10 and the Creators Update that gives you HDR on your desktop Tekken 7 will be in HDR. You can't choose this though. It happens automatically.
Unlike in MA: Andromeda where it used to play in HDR with no windows HDR (launched before update) it now requires desktop HDR to be on to use it (desktop HDR looks like shit - washed out and significantly dimmer). HDR on windows 10 is a pain in the arse.

CrazyHal

Wow. This game is super well optimized. I can run it at 1080p ultra on my gtx 960, a card which was not really made for ultra settings. Although i do get drops when Kuma and Panda are on screen but heh, not a big deal.

Makes sense. The framerate tanks too from the looks of it.

21:9 looks pretty good to me, bois :D

It's been over a decade since I last played Tekken. Feels very much like the game I remember going through the training and doing some of the 10 hit combos. Flashed me back to playing King on PS2 and doing his crazy wrestling hold combos.

21:9 looks pretty good to me, bois :D

It's been over a decade since I last played Tekken. Feels very much like the game I remember going through the training and doing some of the 10 hit combos. Flashed me back to playing King on PS2 and doing his crazy wrestling hold combos.

Only works in in-game fights though. Menus and loading screen still 16:9. Funny how the game's background can be seen rendering behind the loading screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsO-3aTC7ng

Lumine

Uhh.., I have no idea what's going on but suddenly I can't launch Tekken 7 anymore.
Everytime I try to launch the game Steam gives me a pop-up that Tekken 7 is attempting to launch with "optional parameters shown below" except there is nothing there other than 2 weird little blocks. Pressing cancel stops the game from launching and pressing OK keeps me in a loop where the same window pops-up a few seconds later but the game never launches.
Game worked fine yesterday. Haven't changed anything. I have yet to even disable CA. Just updated drivers and rebooted but that didn't help.
Anyone have any clue what's going on? Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: I can't explain why but a 3rd reboot seems to have fixed it...

Uhh.., I have no idea what's going on but suddenly I can't launch Tekken 7 anymore.
Everytime I try to launch the game Steam gives me a pop-up that Tekken 7 is attempting to launch with "optional parameters shown below" except there is nothing there other than 2 weird little blocks. Pressing cancel stops the game from launching and pressing OK keeps me in a loop where the same window pops-up a few seconds later but the game never launches.
Game worked fine yesterday. Haven't changed anything. I have yet to even disable CA. Just updated drivers and rebooted but that didn't help.
Anyone have any clue what's going on? Any help is appreciated!

Happened to me multiple times. Run the game as administrator, and reboot. It should load. In my case, I then remove the admin privilege of the executable file and the annoying popup didnt reappear ever again.

Nikokuno

I can't​ select resolution higher than 1080p even if VSR is actived in my AMD panel. Works fine with other games.

in-game fights are the only thing that matters at the end of the day.

The transition is jarring though.

Testing out the low end of the spectrum. Tekken 7 runs pretty good on a good mix of Low and Medium settings at 1280x720 on my Surface Book. Steady 60fps with occasional drops to 52fps at the lowest. Makes that grinding for items in Treasure Battles all the more possible at work. Just....don't get caught doing it. :p

EDIT: Also, just don't fight the bears. Instant drop to 30fps when fighting Kuma just now. Wow.

Man that looks like it could run on a VITA.

Looking at it closer AO is still there just not as intense. Low takes it off completely. I'm trying to figure this grain thing out. I'm reading UNREAL 4 FAQs and so far the only thing that I've read that deals with film grain is r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization.

Googled this yesterday morning, and I came across a question from someone as to how to add film grain but colored. Turns out the grain in UE4 that works related to that command appears to be white and black grain. What they did is use a custom solution that is tied to High and Ultra settings, hence why it doesn't work. We'd need to check the files inside the .pak files to see what enables it, or they need to make it a separate slider (which I am not even sure if it's possible seeing how it works).

EDIT: Let me try the new solution, maybe you're right.

EDIT 2: I'm pretty sure there's something else beiong disabled alongside the grain... Seems like shadows/ambient oclusion?

So to clear this up, if I add:

Code:
[PostProcessQuality@2]
r.Tonemapper.Quality=3

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.Tonemapper.Quality=3

to the .ini it removes CA and the grain while keeping motion blur and everything else, without affecting other effects?

Skyzard

Banned
So to clear this up, if I add:

Code:
[PostProcessQuality@2]
r.Tonemapper.Quality=3

[PostProcessQuality@3]
r.Tonemapper.Quality=3

to the .ini it removes CA and the grain while keeping motion blur and everything else, without affecting other effects?

I found motion blur to be disabled with those enabled but I didn't test it thoroughly.

I just set PP to high instead of ultra and left it at that. Looks good. Motion blur is too valuable imo.

I found motion blur to be disabled with those enabled but I didn't test it thoroughly.

I just set PP to high instead of ultra and left it at that. Looks good. Motion blur is too valuable imo.

Ah okay yeah that's why I asked there seems to be a bit confusion towards the matter. Also do we know which of these lines causes motion blur to get affected?

jett

D-Member
This ini shit is such a mess. Has anyone asked Namco reps on Steam or wherever for the option to disable CA and grain filter?

This ini shit is such a mess. Has anyone asked Namco reps on Steam or wherever for the option to disable CA and grain filter?

I guess I'm kinda used to it from SFV to disable motion blur but keep all other high post processing effects.

I agree it's pretty clunky solution tho

Since I was not sure if the game was being affected by what, I took screenshots of PostProcess tampering with default Scalability, No CA, No CA/No Grain on the Abandoned Temple.

And guess what? I barely see the difference between Medium without having to touch shit and putting both commands there lol

Default Medium: http://u.cubeupload.com/NightmareT12/MediumDefault.jpg

Medium with no CA (will be same as above): http://u.cubeupload.com/NightmareT12/MediumNoCA.jpg

Default Ultra: http://u.cubeupload.com/NightmareT12/UltraDefault.jpg

Ultra with no CA, but with grain: http://u.cubeupload.com/NightmareT12/UltraNoCAYesGrain.jpg

Ultra with no CA and without grain: http://u.cubeupload.com/NightmareT12/UltraNoCANoGrain.jpg

So what you want to compare are the following two:

MediumDefault.jpg

UltraNoCANoGrain.jpg

Be aware that Heihachi's hand is a bitch and is blocking the light differently.

I see no freaking difference

Top Bottom