• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Apparently the paper magic meta is starting to lineup with the mtgo one. I knew it seemed like there was a real downtick in marvel decks. I'm going to need to adjust the reanimator list pretty heavily for this. Vehicles lists backed by counter spells are a real problem but the energy lists are more beatable.
You want Liliana, the Last Hope if that's the meta you're seeing. She is a good maindeck addition anyways.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean if Marvel was even an interesting deck to watch it would be one thing

Seriously that thopter was useless.

He even punted before by killing the land with lightning. The moment he floated black mana the push was easy to guess by then you spend no energy and then push has no valid target.

2 mana timewalk opponent 3 energy would have been dece

Edit: This guy never got lucky with a good topdeck. Solid Gameplan though.

lol twitter people running another crazy-person "insider trading!!! #mtgfinance" conspiracy theory

Has there been discussion here about what potentially the vanilla mythic could be? Knowing how Maro answers certain questions at certain times, his tumblr recently has been showing questions about the mythic and switching power and toughness. Potential 0/20?? Has there been any other thoughts??

They've already done the X/0 gimmick so really the best option is some ludicrous amount of toughness, like 3/99 or something.

Are results not a good indicator?

Results are, but overprivileging Top 8s is misleading.

Angry Grimace

Skillworks Marvel doing its thing, I see.

Liliana, the Last Hope is 44 tickets on MTGO. FFS

Angry Grimace

lmao Brad hit Ulamog twice and lost to some plant tokens

Santiako

Brad Nelson crushing it. Last week took a Modern SCG, this week casually takes a Standard GP without losing a single match, dude is on fire!

Non-human new planeswalker coming up
MaRo concludes that people don't like blue transformation spells because of Commander
MaRo coming around to the idea that green shouldn't get land based card draw. Personally, landfall based card draw is fine, but drawing cards based on the number of lands you control is too much.
corgiwolf27 asked: Can you tell us whether there is a new non-humanoid planeswalker somewhere down the line? Or a humanoid that differs from human is some really significant way (think Aven or Naga)?

There is at least one new nonhuman planeswalker in the pipeline.

==

namelesssteve asked: On blue transform I think that people's opinions on it might skew with their preferred format. In standard, modern and legacy a vanilla 2/2 or 3/3 can block or trade with many aggro creatures or threaten cards like pyromancer or monastery mentor. There is a cost to using as removal. In commander a vanilla 3/3 is nothing, making Pongify and Hybridization colour shifted Swords and Path. It fits flavour but you've repeatedly said blue removal should be counters or only tempo plays.

I finally get it. It’s not a color pie issue. It’s a Commander format issue. We don’t control Commander, so you want to talk to the team that oversees it and talk to them about the need to possibly ban some of the more egregiously (for the format) pushed transformation cards.

==

izandai asked: Wasn't your argument that Harmonize is a bend based on the fact that Green can also draw cards based on lands, and a straight draw spell is similar to that (Harmonize could read "draw cards equal to the number of lands you control minus one and be a very similar card)?

I’m beginning to believe green drawing cards based on lands is a mistake.

Yeah, that was a dumb video Rudy put out.

One of my problems as an elderly old is that I don't just habitually watch video content while doing other things, and Rudy always feels like he takes forever to get to the point so I haven't actually seen his video, just the second-hand discussion.

People should literally never talk to Maro about Commander for any reason.

Joe Molotov

HCxo5ia.jpg

Joe Molotov

BTW, I lost against a U/W Control deck at FNM after casting Void Winnower because my opponent embalmed a Vizier of Many Faces, rip. :(

Santiako

First monday of June is tomorrow, so they'll probably announce it then (the date for announcement day not the actual announcements).

Probably at GP Vegas to fuel the already giant hype of that weekend.

red13th

Wow they have a LOT of artists in GP Vegas

All Announced Artists
April 7: Anastasia Ovchinnikova
April 6: Liz Danforth
March 22: Joseph Meehan
March 21: Jesper Myrfors
March 20: Noah Bradley
March 14: Rob Alexander
March 4: Greg Staples
March 3: Anthony S. Waters
March 2: Richard Kane Ferguson
March 1: Anson Maddocks
February 28: Mark Tedin
February 27: Pete Venters
February 26: Jung Park
February 25: Aaron Miller
February 24: Dan Frazier
February 23: Kieran Yanner
February 22: Douglas Shuler
February 21: Steve Argyle
February 20: Mark Poole
February 19: Ken Meyer Jr.
February 18: Jason A. Engle
February 17: Tyler Jacobson
February 16: Darrell Riche
February 15: rk post
February 14: Randy Gallegos
February 13: Eric Deschamps
February 12: Víctor Adame Mínguez
February 11: Bryon Wackwitz
February 10: Jeff A. Menges
February 9: Jason Felix
February 8: Howard Lyon
February 7: Dan Scott
February 6: Drew Tucker
February 5: Jason Kang
February 4: Zack Stella
February 3: Thomas M. Baxa
February 2: Lucas Graciano

That's amazing.

I really should have, Violet. But I can't change my flight and this air bnb is expensive as fuck. But I'm sure there'll be a next time. I feel like there's a Netherlands GP twice a year these days.

Managed to get some sick tokens from rk post:

8Z7tacj.jpg

That Snake token is the best thing I've seen in a long while. I love it!

Yeef

Announcement Day will almost certainly be either tomorrow or a week from tomorrow. The fact that Rosewater's article tomorrow is about the color pie leads me to believe it'll be next week.

Santiako

Announcement Day will almost certainly be either tomorrow or a week from tomorrow. The fact that Rosewater's article tomorrow is about the color pie leads me to believe it'll be next week.

They're doing a stream and some stuff, so they won't just spring it out of nowhere tomorrow. We'll likely get an announcement for the date of announcement day tomorrow though.

noquarter

I'll cut 2 thoughcasts, go down to... 16 lands total? and that'll give me room for 4 drums and 2 etched champions

I want to mess with the standard shell a bit but I feel like the deck is basically "solved" and there's no real wiggle room for flavor or personal enjoyment
Welcome to Affinity, what I've been playing recently.

I take it you are missing Glimmervoids or Spires? 6 basics is a lot for the deck.

Also, running 8 instants is kind of a lot. I cut to two Blasts and 3 Thoughtcasts main, with a another blast in the board. You really want to keep your Artifact density up. Adding the drums will help there and also help give you some of the explosive starts, like Overseer turn one with Skirge and thopter out.

I ended up also putting a Champion in my board to keep me from starting so many games with a 3 drop in hand.

The cards for the shell are there and don't have a lot of good changes to make, but the derck does leave space on where to go with them. Good luck!

Ashodin

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh this deck is getting better and better each time I edit it

TPybMnL.gif

Some games feel so good, the value and decisions are really interesting and interactive. I really like how Liliana + Pia's Revolution means A) give me back my dude or B) give me back my dude. Recurring Walking Ballistas then dropping them off AGAIN huge af feels good man.

Like I'm so excited about the deck I just want to sleeve it up rn and practice.

Angry Grimace

I personally think the way they did announcement day was just dumb, so anything they change will be better than a random text article saying "next block is Amonkhet"

I personally think the way they did announcement day was just dumb, so anything they change will be better than a random text article saying "next block is Amonkhet"

Yes the idea of doing an announcement day is good but the way they did it is bad. They should really have a stream with a final logo and one or more illustrations for everything, a teaser paragraph about the large set/block, and probably a preview card or two. They are on this kick of "never take focus from the absolute next product" now but I honestly think the year where they showed off Khans, C14, and other stuff all in the same SDCC panel was one of the better hype jobs they've done recently.

you're probably better of by just playing winding constrictor and tireless tracker if you want to value grind while being an aggressive deck.

Pia's Revolution helps in a race or in grindy matchups but your opponent gets to decide which course is taken.

Winding is a 4x in the deck.
My bad skimmed the creatures. I'd just run trackers over pia's revolution then.

Isn't a 4:3 split for push disintegration better?

edit: looking at the list again I can see making a case for revolution. A Ballista would make racing difficult as you can machinegun down the opponents creatures and you're able to regrow a a ton of them eventually. Keep us posted of it works out. Tracker is just a stupid powerful card.

Angry Grimace

Boy SaffronOlive is in full on "fuck this format" mode recently.

Ashodin

fuck. yes.

thetragiccomedian sent: Would you consider adding the sixth color if you did it in silver border?
A sixth border takes a lot of space and there's so much I want to do when (not if) I get another silver bordered set.

Give us Unraveled, MaRo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom