• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Why isn't red a major color for flash? It's the color of speed, lightning, ambushes, reckless charges and sudden actions

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why isn't red a major color for flash? It's the color of speed, lightning, ambushes, reckless charges and sudden actions

I don't get what he's talking about anyways. Flash as far as I can tell appears pretty similarly in all colors.

For me, the best things about Un-sets were references to old cards, and Time Spiral block did all of that way better than any of the Un-sets did, so why bother doing another one?

Maybe if they did an MTGO-only set that abused the fact that none of the cards were available in paper. But even then, I'm not prepared to go back to MTGO just for one joke set.

You know, that's actually an interesting way of looking at it. The entire block to a degree but especially Future Sight was basically full of Un-cards except designed to be legal in actual formats. All without having "Gotcha!" causing games to be more somber than a funeral.

So I'm building Naya Edh with Samut and I want to take advantage of her untap ability. what are some good creatures with "Tap: Activated abilities"?

already got Godsire in there

Violet_0

Banned
I think one of red's biggest problems is that it's considered a "spell color" in that it's alongside blue in most of it's power is in instants and sorceries instead of creatures. But design has shifted to give more power to creatures and planeswalkers. So red rarely gets pushed creatures but also lacks a lot of the powerful stuff blue gets to play with. It's been a little bit better in most recent sets but I feel like they are too afraid of making good red permanents.

the world needs more Charmbreaker Devils and Sin Prodder type cards. The world needs more devils in general. Make red control great again

DrArchon

So I'm building Naya Edh with Samut and I want to take advantage of her untap ability. what are some good creatures with "Tap: Activated abilities"?

If you have enough colorless mana sources, Endbringer is incredibly poweful. It untaps on opponents' turns for free, but still being able to do two of things it can do in one turn is incredibly powerful.

Santiako

Kiki-Jiki seems like the best one. Mother of Runes, Tolsimir Wolfblood, Sisay, Any mana dork that taps for more than one mana, Elvish Piper, also seem good.

ultron87

Flash doesn't really say reckless charge or speed to me. It's more about being patient and laying in wait for the perfect moment and then revealing yourself.

37.jpg

Maybe if they did an MTGO-only set that abused the fact that none of the cards were available in paper. But even then, I'm not prepared to go back to MTGO just for one joke set.

Digital-only stuff isn't even that interesting unless you're seriously all-in on it. Hearthstone and HEX have some cool designs that are only possible due to being digital-only but very few of them work as single flashy examples mixed in with otherwise paper-appropriate designs.

It isn't going to be an unset. He said on his blog last week it would be an article about core sets.

Do you have the exact link for this? Presumably it'd talk about about whatever supplemental Standard-legal set they're finally adding. That suggests Announcement Day is this week though which seems unlikely.

traveler

Not Wario
I guess they'll probably be doing announcement day in house now? Was going to head over to Meeples if they were still planning on doing a public event but, from the wording here, it sounds like they'll just be doing the announcements with no forewarning.

DrArchon

Digital-only stuff isn't even that interesting unless you're seriously all-in on it. Hearthstone and HEX have some cool designs that are only possible due to being digital-only but very few of them work as single flashy examples mixed in with otherwise paper-appropriate designs.

That's true. They'd have to make an Un-set that's significantly larger than any normal set to do anything like that and have it work out, and at that point they might as well be looking at making a new, digital-only, MTG spinoff game.

So basically, there's no reason to make another Un-set.

About the color pie article, note that the color section doesn't match the alphabetical section where MaRo goes into more detail. Notably, the red section says red has unsummoning, but the alphabetical section doesn't.

It does say they want red to cast cards for free from the top of the library, but I think thanks to Marvel, new cards with this aren't likely to be pushed.

Honestly most of the time Flash is a mechanic divorced from flavor because it simply has to be on the card for it to function properly (Spell Queller, for example).

I want to see a new un-set just so I can see what kind of black border stuff they throw in to make people feel ok about buying it. Can't do full art lands anymore, after all.

alternade

Trying to build a Grixis control EDH deck that doesn't rely on the commander to win and doesn't go infinite. What are some good interactive and responsive cards for a generic control deck? Right now i'm leaning on planeswalkers, boardwipes and staxs as my main form of locking down the board.

Trying to build a Grixis control EDH deck that doesn't rely on the commander to win and doesn't go infinite. What are some good interactive and responsive cards for a generic control deck? Right now i'm leaning on planeswalkers, boardwipes and staxs as my main form of locking down the board.
fork and rebuy a bunch of cruel ultimatums.

El Topo

About the color pie article, note that the color section doesn't match the alphabetical section where MaRo goes into more detail. Notably, the red section says red has unsummoning, but the alphabetical section doesn't.

It does say they want red to cast cards for free from the top of the library, but I think thanks to Marvel, new cards with this aren't likely to be pushed.

Step 1: Introduce powerful card with new mechanic.
Step 2: Ban card.
Step 3: Introduce super nerfed version of card/mechanic in Red.

Other than Marvel being like 90% of the format, what else is wrong? Haven't played Standard in years since the powerlevel dropped
Marvel is what's wrong with the format, basically.

When Bolas Drops comes Hour, watch as it becomes a race to who can Bolas First off of Marvel. If you get lucky (which, this being Marvel, you can), you can exile one of their 4 Marvels and cast it. You can also Marvel into Bolas into Ulamog on turn 4.

Basically, Marvel is the epitome of Magic: The Hearthstoning, as skill is replaced 100% by luck, only at least Hearthstone's most annoying deck right now lets you know upfront.

A_Dang

Let's say the third un-set comes out in place of what would have been Conspiracy 3, how much product would you buy?

Even though I am not at all interested in an un-set I'd likely still buy between 5-10 packs...I am part of the problem.

Let's say the third un-set comes out in place of what would have been Conspiracy 3, how much product would you buy?

Even though I am not at all interested in an un-set I'd likely still buy between 5-10 packs...I am part of the problem.

I don't own a single card from an un-set, so, yeah. 0.0 packs, statistically, and 0.0 singles.

I still feel like something is wrong with a format for a deck like UR to exist but that could just be me.

Imagine UR were dominant, only UR players would be having fun. Unless it's the mirror.

Kiki-Jiki seems like the best one. Mother of Runes, Tolsimir Wolfblood, Sisay, Any mana dork that taps for more than one mana, Elvish Piper, also seem good.

If you have enough colorless mana sources, Endbringer is incredibly poweful. It untaps on opponents' turns for free, but still being able to do two of things it can do in one turn is incredibly powerful.

Thanks guys. great inclusions. Forgot all about Endbringer.

Yeef

I think flash in white is a similar situation to haste in green. It doesn't get it a lot, but it tends to get it on more tournament-playable cards, so feels more prevalent.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still feel like something is wrong with a format for a deck like UR to exist but that could just be me.

Imagine UR were dominant, only UR players would be having fun. Unless it's the mirror.
UR what? The control deck? That deck kinda sucks.

Angry Grimace

Marvel is what's wrong with the format, basically.

When Bolas Drops comes Hour, watch as it becomes a race to who can Bolas First off of Marvel. If you get lucky (which, this being Marvel, you can), you can exile one of their 4 Marvels and cast it. You can also Marvel into Bolas into Ulamog on turn 4.

Basically, Marvel is the epitome of Magic: The Hearthstoning, as skill is replaced 100% by luck, only at least Hearthstone's most annoying deck right now lets you know upfront.
High Variance cards that randomly win the game are typically overcosted Johnny shit. When it turns into Spike shit it makes the game dumb.

Angry Grimace

UR Control is fine, but its not anywhere near as good as Marvel and doesn't prey on it enough to be the deck to beat or anything. The format is full of recursive threats and card/mana advantage engines, and even the most aggressive deck is very good at avoiding being 2-for-1'd.

It's a weird format to complain about control.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
People don't enjoy a lot of things happening that keep them from winning. I don't see why proactive decks should be the only game in town.

Angry Grimace

People don't enjoy a lot of things happening that keep them from winning. I don't see why proactive decks should be the only game in town.

I mean, people don't enjoy losing in general. Control is hardly full on prison unless you consider all counterspells to be prison in nature.

Counterspells aren't even in a place where they are super good.

Counterspells aren't even in a place where they are super good.
Counters definitely are in a very good spot right now. Name anything that can't be answered by blue spells. Censor is incredible to have as well.
UR swings on the other end of spectrum in being almost entirely reactive. Having either extreme isn't ideal.

Ashodin

So yep, E3.

ay.

Absolutely will be during E3 week. Bet on it. Bet all the money on it.

AYYYYYY

It'll absolutely be during E3.

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

This shit just makes me even more mad they pushed back announcement day. I need my speculation wizards!!!!

They probably are announcing magic digital next with it, so they likely will have announcement day near E3 because they like to think they're a big player in the digital space now

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Also this from the announcement delay

Summer announcement will feature announcements on the fall block, digital products, Organized Play programs, and wild ancillary releases

WILD ANCILLARY RELEASES YOU SAY. What's wilder than an Un-set!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom