• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're both fantastic, so this is a tough choice.

Go with Edith Finch if you want the better story with the lesser gameplay (Little Nightmares has a pretty good story too, but Eidth is a bit better, and Edith does have some gameplay just not as refined or as in-depth as Little Nightmares)

Go with Little Nightmares if you want a more intuitive gameplay experience with a tenser atmosphere (it can be a surprisingly scary game sometimes, has no dialogue bu does have a story and has some pretty solid mechanics for play).

They both have amazing atmospheres, music, and the such though. They're very different games, one is a narrative experience game, while the other is a sort of horror puzzle-platformer.

Here's the main musical theme for Edith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BRIaUvuOzo

And here's the main musical theme for Little Nightmares: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMgqAcce11s

Edith, through and through. Not that I know the other game at all but Edith stuck with me in a way that few games have.

Eh, fuck it. I got both. (And Rakuen.) (And Cibele.)

Should make for a fun weekend w/ the wife!

Someone tell me about Steamworld Heist ($5.09). My wife really liked that dumb game Tennis in Your Face, and this seems somewhat similar with the shot aiming/bouncing mechanic, plus the overall art style seems like something she'd really enjoy. Is the game easy enough for someone who doesn't play games that often? I'd most likely be sitting with her to help and I like the Worms games enough.

Kadin

Once again I got to buy a game I already own. Maize. I don't ever remember buying this and I didn't enter for it here at all. Really concerning when games just appear in your library and you have no clue how they got there...

edit: looks like it was earlier this month, maybe via Humble

You absolutely should buy Paint it Back, it's one of the best games on steam, for reals.

judging by that list you gonna love it!

I didn't get a card...

Thanks, will buy! My wife is really into nonograms and I'd like to get into it too.

Human Resource Machine
Toki Tori 1 and 2
Waking Mars
The Swapper
WayOut
LYNE
Six Sides of the World

EDIT: And to everyone eyeballing Cosmic Star Heroine: that game is super legit.
Thanks, will check these out.

NeoRaider

Decided to test my luck with GMG loot boxes again, after getting both Battlefield 1 and 50$ voucher last time in one box. And got Need for Speed (2016) for Origin. For ~6$. Not bad at all.

Anyone wants: "SPELLWEAVER VAMPIRE OVERLORD DECK STEAM" key? I think that it's a DLC for f2p game.

Someone tell me about Steamworld Heist ($5.09). My wife really liked that dumb game Tennis in Your Face, and this seems somewhat similar with the shot aiming/bouncing mechanic, plus the overall art style seems like something she'd really enjoy. Is the game easy enough for someone who doesn't play games that often? I'd most likely be sitting with her to help and I like the Worms games enough.

It's got a great set of difficulty options that can be modified at any time.

It was may GOTY last year. Brilliant in every way.

Once again I got to buy a game I already own. Maize. I don't ever remember buying this and I didn't enter for it here at all. Really concerning when games just appear in your library and you have no clue how they got there...
Humble Monthly?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
is Deus Ex: Mankind Divided worth picking up now? I don't even remember the issues people had with it back then, but I knew there was a lot of disappointment with it.

Kadin

Thanks. I've heard that New Vegas has been kinda messed with, and wanted to make sure it was still on Steam. I have it in my library, but it now has the initials ROW after the title. Kinda weird.
Yeah that means, "rest of world". Typically when a game releases in one region and then to the 'rest of the world' and has some type of region locking.

edit: At least that's my understanding of it. I call upon JaseC to clarify it for me! lol

How's Civilization III and IV? I like RTS like AoE, and Star Wars strategy games like Rebellion and Empire at War, and I love world history, should I give a try one of those since they are so cheap?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Well sir I think you sold me on the game, was on the fence, thanks!
No prob! Just keep in mind that it's in Early Access (I think), so not all the levels are out yet. There's two more areas they're working on, although I think there's a random level generator available once you get through the last area? I forget what it said specifically, since I've only cleared the last area once, and I haven't tried it out.

You can also go through the game co-op, with up to 4 people. I don't remember if it's both online/local or just one or the other.

Also if you're going sneaky, some characters are much better than others, and more often than not, you'd have to unlock those characters by meeting some criteria (e.g. go through a level without alerting or killing anyone). And vice versa if you want to go destructive.

jahepi

Debating on getting Projects Cars, mainly for playing in VR but i don't know if it is any good, there are a lot of mixed opinions, does anyone has played this game in VR?, is it good?

Is the store still broken? I completed all 3 quest but only got 1 sticker pack, and got no cards after viewing 2 discovery queues even though it counted down the amount of cards remaining...

They're both fantastic, so this is a tough choice.

Go with Edith Finch if you want the better story with the lesser gameplay (Little Nightmares has a pretty good story too, but Eidth is a bit better, and Edith does have some gameplay just not as refined or as in-depth as Little Nightmares)

Go with Little Nightmares if you want a more intuitive gameplay experience with a tenser atmosphere (it can be a surprisingly scary game sometimes, has no dialogue bu does have a story and has some pretty solid mechanics for play).

They both have amazing atmospheres, music, and the such though. They're very different games, one is a narrative experience game, while the other is a sort of horror puzzle-platformer.

Here's the main musical theme for Edith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BRIaUvuOzo

And here's the main musical theme for Little Nightmares: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMgqAcce11s

I just wanted to thank you for posting those OST links because I listened to Edith's theme and that sold me on the game (can't buy it yet but still).

Actually, that Bayonetta sticker is pretty good:
I64Dhme.jpg

Wonder what is the rest, got only one from this page

How's Civilization III and IV? I like RTS like AoE, and Star Wars strategy games like Rebellion and Empire at War, and I love world history, should I give a try one of those since they are so cheap?
I tried to play Civ 3 few months ago and it didn't aged well. Civ 4 should be fine but i can't say for sure

Erheller

Civ IV + expansions is the best Civilization game (aside from Alpha Centauri)

fite me

GRaider81

So far Ive bought

FFX/X2
Kerbal
Gal Civ 3

I had The Sexy Brutale, Little Nightmares and Hollow Knight in my basket but im thinking Ill wait for them hopefully appearing on switch

venomenon

I'm looking for a low-key casual or adventure game to play while I'm doing some mindless work. Any suggestions?
I always found Hero of the Kingdom to be kinda charming, it's a rather casual mix of point-and-click adventure, hidden object game and some RPG-ish inventory management. The successor is nice too, but basically the same.

is Deus Ex: Mankind Divided worth picking up now? I don't even remember the issues people had with it back then, but I knew there was a lot of disappointment with it.
There were performance issues (especially in the hub area) and some outrage about completely optional microtransactions. The ending wasn't universally loved too. IMO it's great and better than Human Revolution in several aspects. 12,50€ is a damn good price for it.

Grief.exe

My steam client isn't loading the store page, but the website is working.

I just realized Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow isn't on Steam. How come? Every other game in the series is on there.

This is one of the things that bothers me most in life.

I think it's because the game is broken on PC, something about missing shadows.

The game doesn't render correctly so Ubisoft just removed it. It's terrible, especially when you see some publishers going back and retrofitting their old games to work on modern platforms.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I always found Hero of the Kingdom to be kinda charming, it's a rather casual mix of point-and-click adventure, hidden object game and some RPG-ish inventory management. The successor is nice too, but basically the same.

There were performance issues (especially in the hub area) and some outrage about completely optional microtransactions. The ending wasn't universally loved too. IMO it's great and better than Human Revolution in several aspects. 12,50€ is a damn good price for it.

were any of those addressed?

CHC

It's a good game, not a great one. The only real issue I have with it is that it really just failed to improve on Human Revolution. It offers an increiclby nested, dense urban environment to explore, and has a great suite of cyberpunky tactics to approach the missions with. In terms of gameplay and aesthetics, it's outstanding.

That said, it has writing, plot, pacing and characters that are hard to call anything other than simply "bad." There were just too many times I could not care less who was who or what was going on, and all of the dialogue feels very contrived and bloated. Takes everyone way too long to say what they need to and when they do, it's never worth it since it's exactly what you guessed they were going to say. And on top of all this, the pacing is just.... truncated to say the least. The game ends abruptly, obviously as a result of development issues rather than as a narrative choice.

That said, still worth purchasing at this discount. Great exploration and semi-open gameplay, poor writing.

Having upgraded my PC recently to be full fledged gaming machine, this is my first big Steam sale. Will definitely pick up DQ Heroes II.

Anyone know anything about the Transformers games? They're all 80 percent off for the sale and I've been on a bit of a TF kick from watching Prime on Netflix. I know Devastation is the cool looking one from Platinum, and I remember hearing about the hype for Fall of Cybertron. What do you guys think?

Pakkidis

It is a turn based strategy game where you have multiple character each with their own abilities, it is not meant for casual gamers. I found it easy for a turn based strategy game but for more casual gamers will have a difficult time.

The net is one of the stickers.

zluuDyz.png

Having upgraded my PC recently to be full fledged gaming machine, this is my first big Steam sale. Will definitely pick up DQ Heroes II.

Anyone know anything about the Transformers games? They're all 80 percent off for the sale and I've been on a bit of a TF kick from watching Prime on Netflix. I know Devastation is the cool looking one from Platinum, and I remember hearing about the hype for Fall of Cybertron. What do you guys think?
They're all pretty solid, as a fan of the stuff you can't really go wrong. It's just Rise of the Dark Spark that seems to be the one to avoid.

venomenon

were any of those addressed?
Patch notes say they were, can't comment that myself though. I upgraded shortly after I got the game and never had any performance problems after that whatsoever (with a 6700K and GTX 1070), so on a good system you should be fine in any case.

edit: Thinking of it, while there definitely were performance issues, I believe much of the initial outrage stemmed from some advanced video options that were clearly not meant for non-high-end single GPU systems but that the "everything on ultra or bust" people still activated, with the expectable results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom