• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

980_70783082.jpg

Been playing Lords of the Fallen this past week or so. Finally got around to finishing it. Took me about 13hrs. Overall I enjoyed it quite a lot surprisingly. Its far from being as good as Dark Souls. But Its slow and methodical to where you are having fun with about 80% of the game. Combat was without doubt the best part of the game followed by enemy design and art. The graphics and the environments were pretty good too. Weapon variety and inventory stuff was alright but nothing special. Just seemed like a lot of unnecessary things.

There is definitely a lot of jank and the boss fights were for the most part mediocre. Some stuff was kinda cool but in the end they didn't have enough moves to truly challenge you. The story is nonsense and the dialogue/conversation animations were kind of bad. Voice acting was bad too.

I wouldn't give the game any more than an 8 out of 10. But I wouldn't give it any less than a 7 out of 10 either. Its a solid game. Recommend it to anyone who wants a shorter western souls like experience with some neat little differences here n there with much slower gameplay. I was more than impressed with how it turned out. The dev put in good effort. Will definitely be checking The Surge once it drops in price a bit.

kagamin

FFXIV Online Stormblood was everything is hoped for in a new expansion... aside from the balance changes to my job of choice but I'll get over it eventually with any luck. Now to continue to the wait for more story content!

Got answer from Humble support about my with monthly:
Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with Humble Bundle Support. I understand you had some questions about Gift purchases for the Humble Monthly.

When redeeming a gifted Humble Monthly subscription, it's important to know that content received depends entirely on the time the subscription was activated via the Claim button in the gift link. I'm so sorry if that wasn't clear! All games except the early unlock are meant to be kept secret until the first Friday of the month. If you wait until after then to redeem a gift subscription, it won't be possible to obtain the previous month's bundle.

For more specifics on Humble Monthly Gifting, please read our FAQ article on the subject here:

Gifting Humble Monthly

I hope this helps explain our process a bit! Thank you very much for your understanding and patience.

-Christina
Humble Bundle
This is just PSA for everyone who would like to gift entire monthly bundle to anyone, you can't gift specific month, only subscription itself.

ArjanN

Which is weird considering it came from the studio that made Condemned, FEAR, and NOLF

I think you can stil easily see the talent and ideas in Mordor, it's just watered down with a typical corporate AAA sauce on top, which is probably inevitable when making a big AAA game for a publisher like WB.

Great to have a free weekend with Shadows of Mordor. Can see what the fuzz have been about now, even though it's not quite my cup of tea.

It's a pretty good game, with tons of stuff happening all the time, but boy do I suck at it. I pretty much just storms every enemy in sight, wins some, then losses, and then I feel like I've had enough for that session.

Have a nemesis, who's either killed me himself, or had someone in his entourage do it, three times in the first hour. :)

Probably not going to buy this, but I like having the option to try it out like this.

Jadax

Been playing Lords of the Fallen this past week or so. Finally got around to finishing it. Took me about 13hrs. Overall I enjoyed it quite a lot surprisingly. Its far from being as good as Dark Souls.

I enjoyed this game a lot too. I was late to get it because of the generally negative reviews it got, but the world and enemies were well designed. It didn't feel as fluid as the DS series, but it was different - which I preferred, otherwise I'd feel like I was playing DS again.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of H1PSTER, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 64 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (H1PSTER, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

AI War: Fleet Command -- MB-8585C32E68340CAB
Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan -- MB-70E02D9BCA849742 - Taken by Vuze. 11 entrants total.
Ballistick -- MB-FE613B55501FBD47
Battle Islands Commanders - E3 Exclusive Crate -- MB-05F6DB1D5ABF07CB
Beat Hazard Ultra -- MB-B32716FE3DD6FA58
Blade & Soul Shadow Guard Bundle (NCSoft) -- MB-B387BB537C65046B
Brigador: Up-Armored Edition -- MB-838936E4E1E1F4E0 - Taken by Shoklot Caek. 20 entrants total.
Choice Chamber -- MB-C066DFF3C9230C01 - Taken by longlivegaming. 1 entrants total.
Copoka -- MB-89BACD6F7BA1ACD2 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat. 6 entrants total.
Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble -- MB-CE51CD8293803C79 - Taken by someguyinahat. 3 entrants total.
Day of the Tentacle -- MB-167E32AF40DC543E - Taken by Platy. 4 entrants total.
Drawful 2 -- MB-903D9C48398AB63F - Taken by Shalashaska. 4 entrants total.
Dusty Revenge: Co-Op Edition -- MB-5508F2E519D2EBA2 - Taken by fspm. 2 entrants total.
Ellipsis -- MB-4E21DB6249DADBA6 - Taken by arts&crafts. 2 entrants total.
Flat Heroes -- MB-2FDCCBF3CFBB61AC - Taken by DataGhost. 2 entrants total.
GRAV (Early Access) -- MB-A79C28DE31EE611C
Gemini: Heroes Reborn -- MB-F57D01EB2918623A - Taken by famfrit. 2 entrants total.
Gems of War Demon Hunter Bundle -- MB-3E694A14DC965250 - Taken by titch. 2 entrants total.
Girls Like Robots -- MB-7219FA39A52A0314 - Taken by Jadax. 1 entrants total.
GoNNER - Press Jump To Die Edition -- MB-3F569DFBC6BE667D - Taken by dot. 10 entrants total.
Gotham City Impostors Free to Play: Professional Impostor Kit -- MB-8EEFE233F439B056
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-9294569449BBD7AC - Taken by danhese007. 2 entrants total.
Gunmetal Arcadia Zero (Steam, Humble Monthly) -- MB-4F3B7AD8C1A4B83A - Taken by Cels. 2 entrants total.
Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora Deluxe -- MB-5955467402200387 - Taken by user237. 3 entrants total.
Human Resource Machine -- MB-13DB5851B67020E2 - Taken by Dangerblade. 1 entrants total.
Invisible, Inc. -- MB-CCD72F990F184641 - Taken by sadblob. 24 entrants total.
Jotun -- MB-35303503D03FBE83 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 12 entrants total.
JumpJet Rex -- MB-BAFB01CA0C8D1EDF - Taken by MushroomSamba. 1 entrants total.
Kimmy -- MB-4F68924B8ADE89A0 - Taken by Monooboe. 3 entrants total.
Legends of Eisenwald -- MB-38005AA256C12F01 - Taken by KainXVIII. 2 entrants total.
Luna's Wandering Stars -- MB-8D538D81689D86D3
Maize -- MB-980C97DA6BBA0DDE - Taken by alr1ght. 4 entrants total.
Master x Master Poharan Pack -- MB-DFB42FD6877E107E - Taken by Kudo. 1 entrants total.
Metrico Plus -- MB-467083ABC4E7AFC0 - Taken by arts&crafts. 3 entrants total.
Monster Loves You -- MB-A00CB14666325152
Mushroom 11 -- MB-514A259132B9C3DC
Ninja Pizza Girl -- MB-9A65D7A2C988E64A - Taken by Ludens. 2 entrants total.
Noct (Early Access) -- MB-F90B50C6A432DF78 - Taken by Jadax. 1 entrants total.
OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood -- MB-697C50D79DD47B53 - Taken by OmarYusaf. 10 entrants total.
Quiplash -- MB-6FF3D942DFBAF274 - Taken by Jalal. 5 entrants total.
Rock of Ages 2 Classic Pack -- MB-219E7A5A6117644C - Taken by Cosmic Schwung. 1 entrants total.
Slime-san -- MB-035DD66C18F9DF02 - Taken by MaxiLive. 6 entrants total.
SpellForce 3 Beta Access -- MB-F3E26873E8E64CEB
Super Rude Bear Resurrection -- MB-DB6591FE3FD766B5 - Taken by Dangerblade. 2 entrants total.
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP -- MB-7E2304460F2D64EE
System Shock Pack -- MB-5FAB3A03E8EC722E - Taken by Neverforget. 8 entrants total.
THOTH -- MB-38B8A1F41F228A2F - Taken by Ladekabel. 3 entrants total.
TIMEframe -- MB-F0E3D73BEF81AB4E - Taken by Arthea. 1 entrants total.
Team Indie -- MB-3E713E8EBEC83E1D - Taken by InquisitorAles. 1 entrants total.
The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendonca and Pizza Boy -- MB-97FB5EAE80DF89AF - Taken by Mikurden. 4 entrants total.
The Journey Down 1 Plus 2 Bundle -- MB-80FA8F0C5A23FF2B - Taken by Madventure. 2 entrants total.
The Swapper -- MB-0FF145437485970D
Thirty Flights of Loving -- MB-8A1A91D7F2F9877E - Taken by gabbo. 1 entrants total.
Tower of Guns -- MB-EB174FAADAF4B4A4
Tumblestone -- MB-BBD66726326C9B4B - Taken by Jalal. 1 entrants total.
Turmoil -- MB-F6176CCC04F79F6E - Taken by Zeknurn. 2 entrants total.
Tyranny - Portrait Pack -- MB-2D03923D603C231D - Taken by Annubis. 1 entrants total.
VVVVVV -- MB-33B042E40570287C - Taken by Kudo. 1 entrants total.
Valhalla Hills -- MB-0D5B47C5CFD3EA78 - Taken by rainking187. 3 entrants total.
Verdun -- MB-BB4EF4DC1AF057B1 - Taken by data. 6 entrants total.
Void Destroyer -- MB-3B8139FF26C64460 - Taken by OmarYusaf. 1 entrants total.
Waking Mars -- MB-61E2E473C24A20D2
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide -- MB-46A02EA291A00526 - Taken by FLD. 14 entrants total.

World of Goo -- MB-C759FB1344A39460 - Taken by kionedrik. 2 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: One or more keys you added were already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1499513345z1.png

Finally got Stein's Gate's true ending.
I'm honestly blown away and left wondering how long it must take to put a story like this together.
I'm glad I put the time into it.

gelf

The blocky models are style, i unironically like them a lot
I prefer them over the attempt at realism in 8 that's for sure.

The beauty of that era of comes from the backgrounds anyway. The models could be stick figures and I'd still not care.

ModBot said:
Instructions for InquisitorAles:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Fort Defense -- MB-EF50AD25784D0AFF
Royal Defense -- MB-68F6EDBF2E0B02AE - Taken by septicore

Stuff from Groupees

Wok

Looking at the store page made me realize that the only game in the genre I've played before was The Legend of Grimrock.
What's like that, and good?

It reminds me that I found this old game (released in Early Access in 2015) among the "hidden gems". It is kind of the anti-Grimoire.

Tizoc

Looking at the store page made me realize that the only game in the genre I've played before was The Legend of Grimrock.
What's like that, and good?
Falcom's brandish is like an overhead view legend of grimrock which in turn is inspired by and old dingeon crwlaer pc series iirc

Tenrius

FFXI is pretty great in 2017. Sort of feels more like a FF game than XIV (which is also amazing) because XI doesn't really have all the usual MMO conventions. The progression system is also different: you buy/find spells instead of simply getting them by levelling up and there are no fixed roles. Ironically, the absence of those conventions made the game super grindy back in its prime days (because it's more like standard FF stuff translated into MMO, with much bigger scale and more RNGs).

Thanks to the changes from the past few expansions, It's a very smooth experience right now, even completely solo. If you're on the fence, you should definitely try it while it's still alive – firstly because it's a bona fide mainline Final Fantasy game and secondly because it's a reasonably different approach to MMO mechanics that what typically see today.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Broken Age -- MB-A190A623D39842F6 - Taken by famfrit
Lumino City -- MB-A6DCBF9F0F2ECBC0

data

Wasn't Eliza supposed to be purchasable a month after T7 came out? It's already been a mnoth and there's no trace of her on the store

H1PSTER

The giveaway is over! Sixty-eight games later... And some still do not have a home.

May they lay dormant until someone claims them.

Grief.exe

I missed Hyperlight Drifter during the July bundle 😵😵😵

Need to get over to the buy/sell thread to see if I can scrounge up a copy.

Finished up Snake Pass, 88% in about 8 hours. No real desire to replay for the remaining collectables beyond the first area. It does give you an ability to searching for them easier but there are still cut scenes to get through. Definitely a unique experience.

Time trials adds a decent amount of value if you're that way inclined though.

me0wish

Is steam client acting really laggy and slow for anyone else?

Yup, I think it started acting weird after the latest Windows 10 update, and a lot of the times I have to restart steam as games fail to detect it. I even formatted my PC from how annoying it became, and even that didn't help.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yup, I think it started acting weird after the latest Windows 10 update, and a lot of the times I have to restart steam as games fail to detect it. I even formatted my PC from how annoying it became, and even that didn't help.

Same, except for the format part.

Fuck that.

fantomena

I missed Hyperlight Drifter during the July bundle 😵😵😵

Need to get over to the buy/sell thread to see if I can scrounge up a copy.

Didn't you already own it? I could swear you have been talking a lot about it, at least about the 30 fps vs. 60 fps difference.

Hektor

If Yoko Taro were to make an adventure about lies, money, debt and poverty, it were like this

From the same guy that made actual Sunlight - a game that nobody but me played apparently - and it's very, very good

Grief.exe

Didn't you already own it? I could swear you have been talking a lot about it, at least about the 30 fps vs. 60 fps difference.

I was adamant that they made a fundamentally broken decision by focusing on the 30 FPS side of gamemaker. I was happy when they fixed the game.

However, I don't purchase games unless I'm going to play them right at that moment. So even if I know I will like a game, I don't buy the game until I have the time to actually play it.

I have been really wanting to play something Puzzle Fighter style on steam. Anything good you'd recommend? Also, anything multiplayer that has online that people actually play?

Some impressions for my 500th game, (what else?) the hidden-object game Samantha Swift and the Hidden Roses of Athena.

The story: You play Samantha Swift, an archaeologist, whose job appears to be stealing shit from other countries to put in her museum. Some of her justifications are astounding: at one point she breaks into the Louvre and says "Oh, I'll put back the stuff I need after," only to reach a secret room and say "Well, THIS room is undiscovered, so I can take stuff from here," as if that's how it works. She starts off in Greece, looking for a scepter, when she finds the other half of a shield she apparently already had. Upon leaving the ruin, in true Indiana Jones style, the bad guy shows up to take her scepter. (You see, the good guys steal shit to put in museums, while the bad guys steal shit to keep. There's a difference!) She goes home and reassembles the shield that her nemesis didn't take, and here comes a crazy story about how Athena blessed Athens with six gifts in the form of roses (Art, Skill, Justice, Industry, Wisdom, and...um...I think the last one was Letting Your Economy Go to Hell.) The Athenians soon realized that these roses could fall into the wrong hands so they scattered the roses all over the world, to places like Rome, Guatemala, Japan, Tibet, England and France. Each city is labelled with stereotypical images, such as a papal mitre for Rome.

Wait, WHAT? When did Athena do this exactly; would the Greeks even have heard about Japan, Guatemala and Tibet; would the Catholic Church even have existed at that point; why would you hand off a possession granted to you by a goddess to other countries...just...this makes no sense on SEVERAL levels. So off you go to these other countries to recover the roses, and steal more shit along the way.

I'm accustomed to hidden-object games not having cohesive stories, but this one...wow. Also, spoilers, literal Deus Ex Machina at the end, and her sidekick is all "What now, return the shield to Athens?" Samantha is all, "In time, but first, a vacation." Based on her previous exploits, I read that as "lol no." Now, if this was set in the 1890s or something, when archaeologists basically assumed everything in the world belonged to their own country, I might write it off as something charmingly roguish. But one of the first items she has to find is her PDA, placing the story in the mid-2000s, and everyone should know better. She's probably ended up causing six international incidents. "It was undiscovered, I tell you!" So yeah, the story is pretty hard to ignore.

The graphics: Now this is a new one on me. The store page graphic makes it look "hidden object graphic style," but when you actually play it, it looks more cartoony, like Samantha Swift is a Kim Possible with softer features. A lot of the hidden objects are outlined in black, making it pretty easy, but in some cases that's really needed because they're asking for objects that are TINY.

Oh, no graphical options apart from "fullscreen." I guess in 2008, monitors only came in one size.

The gameplay: People who've read my impressions might know that hidden-object games these days are less "hidden object games with minigames and inventory puzzles" and more "point-and-click adventures with hidden object scenes." Samantha Swift is decidedly old-school: EVERY SCREEN is a hidden object scene. So much so, it actually feels a bit tiring to get through. Your eyes want a rest. There are a few minigames, not many, and a good number of inventory puzzles, but wow, if you like finding hidden objects, this will be your cup of tea.

The audio and dialogue: No voice acting. Either they couldn't afford it, decided bad voice acting is worse than no voice acting, or more likely, wanted to keep the disk space low so it could fit on a CD-ROM. The dialogue is only minimally janky. The music is forgettable, but at least they didn't go with the "pan pipes = jungle, accordions = Italy" trope.

The length: Steam profile says 2.8 hours. There are no achievements to hunt, but there's also no difficulty setting, so playing for 2.8 hours on "easy" mode makes me think the game is probably longer than average.

The verdict: It's not bad, but it's not great. Playing constant hidden-object scenes was a combination of nostalgic, refreshing, and exhausting. Seeing cartoony characters was also a nice change, and more hidden-object developers might do well to try it. So you might like it, or you might not. This really is a "your mileage may vary" type game. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm pretty sure my local liquor store has an undiscovered area.

Edit: Bottom of the page. Typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom