• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How fit are you?

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date

bosseye

Fit-ish. I'm probably the definition of Dad bod, I'm not fat but could stand to lose a few lbs.

I ride 10 miles a day on the bike to work and back which is good cardio and the wife and I have set up a 'gym' in the spare room now with a mirror wall, dumbbells, kettle bells and a barbell so 3 times a week I'm doing a lift/squat routine and arm/shoulder work which is good to do with Netflix on the tablet in the background.

My problem is food, if I could trim back the amount of junk then I could trim down and shape up relatively swiftly I'd say. Willpower innit, ha.

I'm fit as fuck, been so my whole life.

Even at my worst / laziest I've never been anywhere close to getting fat.

You can thank crazy neurotic parents who fat-shamed people around us our whole lives and kept us culture-crammed / busy to the max [sports, gymnastics, dance, martial arts, etc.].

It's pretty ingrained in me to always be fit / workout / keep my body challenged, thanks to those neurotic fucking parents of mine.

But it's all for the best, healthy body means I have a good shot at not developing neurological disorders or heart conditions [cardio is useless on its own, need muscular stimulation / weightlifting to fight brain degeneration].

I've gone through all sorts of regimes, but lately due to leaving theatre and being in business for myself I'm just back at the gym 6 days a week.

Senteevs

I'm in terrible shape. I'm thin as a stick. Usually I don't care, but a lady told me that it was difficult to look at me because I look like I came from Ethiopia (starving), and that dipped my self-confidence a bit. I bike a lot though, so... I can still move.

I'm trying to drink more milk, eat more protein etc. I should really hit the gym, but IDK, I guess I'm too shy. I wouldn't know what exercises to do. I want to go with a friend, but they don't live close enough to me to be going to the same gym.

24 yo, 175 cm (5ft 9in) 55kg (120lbs). Maybe when I'm older it will be easier to pack on the pounds lol.

Buy a pair of dumbbells with adjustable weight and a pack of protein powder. Start working out 3 times a week and eating more. See the magic happen.

Piers

Hmm I am a bit skinny at the moment but fit as hell. Kickboxing 3 times a week and lifting weights at home.
Isn't fitness an aspect of physical achievement and not so much appearance? I've seen chubs/skinny people run crazy distances/swim real fast.
Saying that if I run around the block I'll probably vomit and pass out lol
Was doing some nice spin classes, yoga and bodyweight exercises a few years back but couldn't afford that gym subscription no more.

Pretty fit.
I do weights twice a week, run 9km once a week (sometimes supplemented with another 5km run if I feel like it), plus I play a high intensity indoor sport once a week.
Fastest 9km run I've done is just under 43 minutes. I used to run 13km before but it killed my legs so I found a nice balance with the 9km distance.
I choose to do a 2km walk to a bus stop on the way to and from work rather than take the bus route that stops right next to my house. The bus route closest to my house is slower though so they end up taking about the same time.
I'm 33.

Q8D3vil

Getting back in shape now and im getting fast result as well.
Probably because i didnt quit exercising in the first place, but kept eating super junk everyday.

i'm quite fit, i have some nice proportions... but i still have my belly a bit too big, and i never managed to reduce that, even now that i'm eating well and doing exercises! I'm too lazy to make even bigger effort to do it, so yeah i'll live with it, nobody will ever see my six pack!

i'm still quite happy on how i am right now, not skinny, not fat, just the right way

160 cm for 61 Kg (it's like 5'2 i think)

i found this

https://www.worldfitnesslevel.org/#/

apparently i'm not fit enough.

well i don't have anything to measure my waist... so there's that

Ichabod

Banned
35 here. BMI of 19.3 (25+ is considered overweight), resting pulse of 60-85, SBP is usually 100-120; I work with resistance bands, sit ups, and push ups about 2-3 times a week depending on how lazy I'm being; typically walk 1.5-3 miles at work a night & always take the stairs; It keeps me average to slightly slim looking which is all I care about because I love eating pizza, steaks, Chinese & all manner of unhealthy shit.

Paertan

Isn't fitness an aspect of physical achievement and not so much appearance? I've seen chubs/skinny people run crazy distances/swim real fast.
Saying that if I run around the block I'll probably vomit and pass out lol
Was doing some nice spin classes, yoga and bodyweight exercises a few years back but couldn't afford that gym subscription no more.

Yes and I am talking in the sense of being fit for what I do. Since I do a lot of kickboxing I should have a bit more fat and muscle for my length. To take hits better without getting injured. I also feel I take longer time getting back from injuries when I am too skinny. Nothing major but the regular bruises you get.

Banned
I'm probably just above above average fit. I do weights lifting in a strength 5x5 program and I do medium intensity cardio and I actually eat very well. The reason I'm not as fit as I could or should be is I don't move enough during the day during the week, when I do cardio I can maintain the intensity fine but afterwards it just floors me because my heart and muscles are not used enough in that way.

Raide

Always been fairly active but as I get a bit older, I certainly have to work harder and more intelligently to keep from getting too fat. Had a few lax years but getting back on track now. Starting hitting the weights more frequently has certainly helped.

Preezy

I weigh about 11.5st and am a regular 6 foot dude with no outward sign of ill-health. But fuck me, my insides must be made of lard because I'm really unfit, get out of breath quite easily. I used to have quite bad asthma when I was younger which has always made me shy away from doing much cardio as I'm always fearful of having an attack, but I'm also super lazy which doesn't help. I'm 31 now though so I know it's only going to get harder to get in shape further down the road.

I am in OK shape I guess. Nothing special at all though. Starting swimming again recently. I go twice a week and currently swim 2k (80 lenghts of a 25m pool). takes about 40 mins. Think I will up it to 3k (120 lengths) from next week which will take about an hour).

I also often walk on my lunch breaks for about 40 mins and walk the dog for 20 mins every day. Try to eat between 1400-1600 calories a day and sometimes go over if I am super hungry. Also limit processed food as for me that was key in losing weight after the 196 pound mark (several years back I was stuck there for ages).

Since i started swimming again (about a months ago) I lost 7 pounds. I had slipped last year and went from 182 up to 196. So I am down to 189 and ideally want to get to between about 168 and 175 pounds and stick there. Im 5''11" and 35 years old. Have a wife and kid so it can be hard to find time. Luckily the local pool is open late with lanes 2 nights a week so I can go after my son is in bed.

blackjaw

I'm fit. Surf 1-2 times per week for a few hours and if there's no surf I'll do the gym for an hour. So 3-4 periods of some sort of activity per week.

I say my wife makes me eat healthy but I actually like it.

Kids also keep me active. I travel a lot and see unhealthy parents and I refuse to be someone who can't keep up with their kids.

Jerry

I play 11 a side football (not handegg) 2-3 times a week (2 full games and a training session) so consider my cardio good.

Not been to the gym in a few months though.

I also skateboard a couple times a month.

eot

Banned
Ran a half marathon a few months ago but haven't been training much since then. I'm skinny though so I only ever had decent cardio, not strength really. My BMI is usually between 17 and 18

M52B28

Banned
Fatman stronk. Aka not fit but I gets it done.
Ding for me.

I have some extra weight, but I can clock a few miles running and I can knock out some heavy lifts, chin ups and pull ups.

Kind of interesting how strong I am.

Where am I weak? Those chips and honey buns..

oneils

I'm not very fit, but I'm healthy and relatively pain free. That's what surprised me as I get older.

I'm 39 and a few of my very good friends now struggle with chronic back pain or other pain from injuries. They still manage to stay more active than me but it is a struggle. Take care of your bodies everyone (some are in pain through car accidents, so sometimes the pain is just plain bum luck).

I'm trying to get moving more, but right now it's limited to walking two miles a day (to and from work) and carrying groceries home a couple times a week. I rarely exercise for the sake of exercise. I'm usually just going somewhere. I'd like to change that this year.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
the fittest i've been in the last 10 years (at least). i'm 26 right now. as a kid i used to be really active going out playing football, skateboarding, bmxing.

this year i've lost 3 stone in weight and feel so much better for it. my breathing has got so much better. i have asthma and could get out of breath just going up a flight of stairs but now i feel just fine even when exercising. it feels great being able to fit into clothes that have been hanging in my cupboard for years because they were too small to fit me.

it's all thanks to just cutting out crap i would eat/drink. eating proper portions and have 3 meals a day. and exercising more. some days i could easily drink at least 2 litres of cola. infact that's pretty much all i drank. i could eat bags and bags of crisps. i would never have breakfast in the morning before work and then i'd just stuff my face at lunch/dinner time. i was just eating insane amounts of junk. my activity levels were almost non existent. maybe about 3-4000 steps a day. go home and just sit about watching tv, at my desk on the pc, or lying in bed.

now i make sure i have breakfast even if it's just a banana. i drink only diluted juice now. i did try just water but couldn't do it. at the weekend i drink zero cola to take with my vodka. i count all my calories and watch what i'm eating. i measure everything out into portions. my exercising is doing 10,000 steps daily. i can get anywhere between 3,000-6,000 at work usually. one time i got 10,000 steps before 9AM! another time i got 17,000 by 10AM. after work i go a walk if i haven't reached 10,000 and then go for a ride on my bike or go to swimming. the last time i went to swimming was about 10 years ago.

so yeah i'm not quite where i want to be yet but i feel much fitter and healther than i have been in years. i'm determined to reach my goal but it will be a while yet. i'm not rushing or forcing myself. at the weekend i relax and sometimes treat myself to junk food. i used to eat chinese food once or twice every week but now it's every 4-8 weeks depending on how i feel.

g11

I'm actually in decent shape right now. Lost about 40lbs ~3 years ago and am slowly gaining muscle. I still need to work on cardio and breathing in general as I get winded while running much quicker than I should. Like I run/jog about 5 miles a day, 3-4 times a week, but I can barely break a 10 minute mile.

gun_haver

I just did the worldfitnesstest website and I put in two different sets of info. I'm 28.

One was that I rarely exercise and I am 6'2 (pulse 72 bpm, waist 34, etc)

The other was I exercise 2-3 times a week and I am 6'1 (other info the same)

In reality I think I am 6'2 but I couldn't really remember, I think I'm in 188cm, so probably in between.

Anyway the former set of info gave me back a fitness age of 26, and the latter gave me a fitness age of 38. Taking that with a grain of salt, I probably am closer to 38 than my own age because I have not been taking care of my health for a good few years. I've only just recently started making some changes - switched from smoking to e-cigarettes, JUST started doing some exercise again and watching my diet a bit - so hopefully I can get that down close to 26 or 28 over the next few months.

I'd like to be in shape, beyond the health benefits I know it's just better mentally - more energy, higher self-esteem - so I'm gonna give it a good old try and see if I can get my weight down about 15lbs or so again, which would be how much I weighed when I was 18 and felt just about right.

Kazuhira

Pretty damn well i would say,i have a liittle of fat in my underbelly that's stopping me from my six pack dream.
I'm running a lot just for that,any tips to burn that little sob faster?

I'm out of shape and being forced to go to gfs sisters party but feeling out of shape and exposed.

I was in great shape but then 8 months of beer and ubereats happened. Alcoholic gf lead to all of this. I can barely fit into my clothes at the moment. Sucks. Gonna have to go low carb or low fat and lay off the booze for a few months.

Fistwell

my times for running (800m up to the 5k) are fucking awful and it doesn't reflect the work I am putting in every week.
Oh please do share with us you big tease. Also feel free to join the team over in the gaf running thread. And the Strava club.

I run between 60-80 miles a week, depending. Ran a 3:11 marathon this year. Resting heart rate around 45. I'm 38 years old so I'm happy with it. Been a runner for over 10 years.
As someone else mentioned already, that's solid mileage. I struggle to find the time for 60 already. Also, you should come back to hang with us in the running thread, we miss you! <3

If I had to I could run a marathon tomorrow without too much trouble
That'd be useful information if you tagged a time on that.

I run everyday from my house to my boxing gym (approx 8 mile run)
8 miles x 2 = 16 mile round trip,
16 x 7 days = 112 miles/week.
Yeah sounds reasonable.

Carn82

I'm about 10kg overweight, and a bad back. Finally taking care of my back soon, and planning to pick up taekwondo again. Used to do that at a competitive level, not aiming to get back to that but it's the only thing I somehow enjoy, next to the occasional 5 to 10km run. Have a 9 to 5 office job and sitting the whole day hasn't helped much.

G.ZZZ

I am literally a greek god at 31. Bench over 1.5x my body as my standard, lift 4-5 times a week, eat lots of pasta, veggies, pizza, cheese, fish and fruits, my blood sugar is at 70, my colestherol is amazing and my rest bpm is 50-55 with 60-100 bp.

Lots of medical issues but luckily none that impede my exercising, more of long-term issues that require a lot check-ups and some minor annoyances (like no sunbathing, integrating Vit D in my diet, not eating meat etc...)

Skinpop

very unfit. years of depression has that effect on the body. not fat but I'm as flexible as a wooden plank, have no stamina and feel kinda weak. Tried weightlifting a few times but it just isn't for me. It's so boring and there are no gyms with decent equipment where I live.
Recently I started doing calisthenics though. Videos like the ones on Calisthenicmovement channel have been very inspirational to me. I like that calisthenics involve a lot of flexibility/mobility and progressions to more and more difficult/advanced exercises. I'm having a lot of fun while doing it. It's a big plus that you only need minimal equipment and can do it almost anywhere. Hopefully I'll be able to keep my routine going. I'm thinking that maybe next year I'll buy a barbell and rack to do deadlifts and squats which are the only weight training exercises I miss.

Cardio just isn't for me. I dislike it with a passion. I love mountain hiking though..

jesu

i found this

https://www.worldfitnesslevel.org/#/

apparently i'm not fit enough.

d2c0f3ddf8a889c7ecd1aa83d9dbe8dc.png

Too good to be true I think!

Arials

I'm kinda fit. I run once per week 8km in 25 minutes.
I'm also playing football (soccer) twice a week.

Unfortunately I'm also skinny, but in the last year I gained some weight. So that's pretty awesome.

I'm very, very skeptical that you could run this fast while only running once per week and only being "kinda fit". That's 3:08 minutes per km pace, you would win my local 5k race by a wide margin every weekend going that fast.

Zero2kz

I'm a bit chunky. 6'0" 245lb. But I lift 3 times a week, rugby practice two times a week, and a rugby game most saturdays.

I can play an 80 minute rugby game without feeling completely like death.

Fistwell

I'm very, very skeptical that you could run this fast while only running once per week and only being "kinda fit". That's 3:08 minutes per km pace, you would win my local 5k race by a wide margin every weekend going that fast.
I wish I was 3:08/K-for-8K fit. :(

Not very lol! I am skinny (6ft 2 - 140lbs), so I guess I probably look in better shape than I am. I used to run cross country, but fell out of regular running over the last couple of years.

Fat sick and miserable. I'm not going to sugar-coat it (because I'm diabetic and can't have sugar), but I'm 42 and won't make it to 50 at this rate.

Guys, give me a workout plan for a 9-6 worker
Suggested apps/sites are welcome.

Do you want to weight lift or run or both?

I go to the gym to do weights every other day alternating between upper body and lower body days (with two main variations for each day) and spend about an hour when I go so nothing too crazy. I use an app called Strong Workout Tracker to build my workouts and then keep track of my weight/reps/sets to make sure I'm progressing in some way every time I go. I have a similar schedule to you except it's more like 9-7 including time it takes to get to and from the office so I wake up at 6 and lift in the morning so I can chill in the evening, but it doesn't matter if you prefer to do it in the evening.

And then I usually only run once a week on my off gym day during the weekend.

I... actually don't know.

My BMI is right where it should be (maybe sliiiiightly underweight), blood pressure is great, general fitness fine... but I don't exercise. Best I do is maybe 4 hours of walking outdoors a week, which is really not enough.
I feel I need a sport or an outlet, anything, to keep me occupied and healthier. Might get a gym membership, just to tone up some and keep steady.

Top Bottom