• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror

Tizoc

2Hm6s3W.png

Years ago I'd bought this game and played it. It was my first exposure to the BS series and I overall really enjoyed the game.

Going back to it now, esp. after beating BS1 a couple of days ago, I've found that it is still a good PnC but BS1 is much better.

First off the game's visuals are superb and really colorful, the voice acting is for the most part good, save for a few spotty voices somewhere between mid and end of the game.
There are more puzzles than in BS1, and more often than not, you're going to want to try and pry any item you see that isn't nailed down, so moving the cursor about for a little 'pixel hunting' will help in getting through a section you're in if you are stuck.

I'd say the game's biggest issue is how the game's plot progresses.
The start of the game is fine, and George's motivations are shown pretty well, but following the incident at Quaramonte, it feels like various stuff got cut out (feel free to correct me on this). While I liked Nico and George hunting for the Stones, Nico's sections felt underdeveloped to me compared to George's.
Furthermore, there appears to be an entire section that is omitted being
the attack on the native Village
as you are thrust straight to the final sections once you get the Stones.
One more odd thing about the final section of the game is
Titipoco's face
; in the previous screen he looked young, but in the final sections his face has wrinkles and he looks older. What the heck happened there?

Still despite all this I would still recommend the game, as it is overall a solid game and a nice follow up to BS1. The humor is quite good in the game esp. the Native Village
where everyone speaks good English. Then again they were in documentaries etc. so they likely picked up the language

I should point out that the game has a lovely soundtrack much like BS1, and my fav. track is surprisingly only 30 seconds long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9xJzeACccE

One final thing about the game: There are some nifty little secrets which you can see here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB1GZwOs9Nk
1- Use Coal with Goat
2- Use Choco bar with Ghost before it disappears then you can access the left path
3- Click on the area as shown in the clip
The final one is interesting since that puzzle irritated me in my recent playthrough although the animation at the end is questionable ;P

Speaking of which, one thing that shocked me after searching about the
Ghost in the underground subway
is that
Emily may be dead. There are hints to it from the other NPC's dialog >_>;

For those that want to play the original game, you may notice that some video scenes do not load and SCUMMVM may give an error. There is an easy fix for that-
Add Broken Sword 2 to SCUMMVM, if you are using the built in SCUMMVM, just choose EDIT game. BS2 has a folder titled 'Extra' in its GOG directory (for example). All you need to do is tell SCUMMVM to read from that folder as well, i.e.
zW0zfr6.png

If you got the updated files from the SCUMMVM page-
http://scummvm.org/games/#sword2
just put those files into BS2's EXTRA folder, then have SCUMMVM read from it like in the image above.
Hey presto TV2x BS2 with all cutscenes running properly.

Reknoc

2 was also my first Broken Sword game, played it on PS1 which was... not a great experience. I don't remember a whole load of it because I don't play it as religiously as I play Broken Sword 1.

Do remember hating the bit with the Boar towards the end, and the game bugging out right near the end that wouldn't let me use an item.

Loved it, but could never figure out the branching paths in the forest at the end. I was like 10 and just randomly running into them until I got out.

I played through Broken Sword 2 and 3, but never the original, which is supposedly the best in the series. I have it on GBA and the Director's Cut from GOG. I really should play it soon.

Fantastic game. Better then BS1 in parts. Only issue for me that it was way too short. I wonder if they ran out of money/time or something

Speaking of which, one thing that shocked me after searching about the
Ghost in the underground subway
is that
Emily may be dead. There are hints to it from the other NPC's dialog >_>;

There's no may be about it, Rio makes it pretty clear.

and the game bugging out right near the end that wouldn't let me use an item.

Torch/Titipoco bug was gamebreaking if you didn't have a save from before it.

Had to play a large portion of the game over again because of it. :/

Pretty sure this was my first ever introduction to adventure games, I think it was the demo I tried on PC when I was a kid and it was like a revelation. Adored it and subsequently introduced me to all the other great adventure games.

Reknoc

I played through Broken Sword 2 and 3, but never the original, which is supposedly the best in the series. I have it on GBA and the Director's Cut from GOG. I really should play it soon.

I'm not a big fan of the Directors Cut, the new stuff isn't super great and it feels a bit of a mishmash. I'm not a fan of the portraits either though it was nice to see some of the characters with higher detail. I'm pretty sure the GOG version actually comes with the original as well, so that might be something worth baring in mind.

Torch/Titipoco bug was gamebreaking if you didn't have a save from before it.

Had to play a large portion of the game over again because of it. :/

Yuuuup, that's the one, very upsetting as a kid, and even more so when I did get past it and realise just how close to the end I was.

I might have to load up BS2 again, been too long since I played it. Also never finished 3 or 5 and never even played 4, I should probably fix that as well.

Will always count the Marseilles docks at night my favourite scene in an adventure game. Just something about it. Great atmosphere.

And Twenty.

sephiroth7x

Superb game. Original is one of my favourite games of all time.

Directors cuts never did it for me as i dont like portraits randomly in the screen... BS felt like movies when I was younger so these annoyed me.

BS2 is probably the funniest of them all... some belting one liners.

Sloane

Banned
Fantastic game. Better then BS1 in parts. Only issue for me that it was way too short. I wonder if they ran out of money/time or something
Didn't they develop the whole thing in 6 to 9 months? But, yeah, the length definitely was an issue; remember how disappointed I was when it told me to insert CD2 after just a few hours of playing. Didn't like the setting as much either -- BS1 is possibly my favorite game of all time --, but overall it's a decent game. Just would have needed another year of development probably.

The GOG version comes with the original version as a bonus, play that.

DC is awful, GBA is missing stuff because of the restrictions of the format (though it's a very impressive port considering).

Didn't they develop the whole thing in 6 to 9 months? But, yeah, the length definitely was an issue; remember how disappointed I was when it told me to insert CD2 after just a few hours of playing. Didn't like the setting as much either -- BS1 is possibly my favorite game of all time --, but overall it's a decent game. Just would have needed another year of development probably.

That's certainly possible, there was only a year between the two releases.

One of the ways George could get killed in Marseille really shook me up as a kid.

Still a great game though, definitely one of the best in the series.

Top Bottom