• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hat in Time releases in 2 days, yet JonTron still seems to be in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codeblue

Yeah, no thanks.

Even if he already got paid, there's value in making ostracizing white supremacists. Keeping him in there is a failure on a moral level. Was looking forward to it, but it'll have to wait until he's gone.

Also, loving these rationalizations by people that dislike white supremacy but need to convince themselves that picking up this game doesn't promote or normalize trash like Jon.

Codeblue

You heard it here first folks the one and only

I imagine most minorities abandoned ship when he suggested we needed to be cleansed from the gene pool. Glad you can look past someone thinking your existence is a detriment to humanity to laugh at him playing bad video games though.

Mik317

Being a disappointment.

If its you I'm disappointing then I am doing something right I guess.

but no seriously, I am sitting here getting real mad over opinions on the internet and struggling to find the words to say what I want to say.

its really annoying; y'know.

you guys do you. I need to stop before my anxiety causes me to have a panic attack or some shit

hamsjams

I was only moderately interested in this game, so this is an easy pass. I'm just not comfortable buying a product that features such a well known, outspoken, and hardcore racist. Super Mario Odyssey will almost certainly be the much better game, and Yooka-Laylee doesn't force the discomfort of supporting a turbo racist onto me so I'm set with this genre for awhile anyway. You can call it petty, stupid, self-righteous, ineffectual, whatever you want. I'd rather be all of those things than buy this game. I don't look down on anyone who does decide to buy it because I think seperating the art from the artist is a personal thing.

Maybe the devs don't have the resources to replace him or maybe they're obligated to keep his work. Maybe they agree with his views. Maybe instead of suffering fetid internet nazi bitching they'd rather risk losing people like me as customers. Playtonic certainly caught a lot of horseshit and very little critical praise or profit for their righteous decision. Or maybe they just don't think the situation is worthy of consideration. They can do as they please just as I can use or withold my money as I see fit.

I said it before in the original Gene Pool Jafari thread: this incident should be a lesson. Internet "personalities" should not be trusted to be involved with something that determines your livelihood. Many of them are of course great people, but you can never tell when one of them is going to turn into a disaster like this. They're largely incapable of handling controversy with any sense of tact, sense, or sincerity and their cults will be out for your blood. Google and Twitch are sure as hell not going to help you out either. The slur user is still the face of Youtube: if my family's well being depended on a product I was developing I would keep that product as far away as I could while still taking advantage of the advertising possibilities.

but no seriously, I am sitting here getting real mad over opinions on the internet and struggling to find the words to say what I want to say.

you guys do you. I need to stop before my anxiety causes me to have a panic attack or some shit

Take a break, play some Yooka-Laylee

JordanN

Banned
I think everyone is extremely harsh towards Jon on this, he's a quality comedian who has a view and opinion different than your own, and suddenly everyone hates the man they all loved and went to for good quality content.

His views are not even extreme everyone needs to stop being such delicate little flowers and enjoy the damn game.
Okay I was genuine and not trying to upset anyone,
I'm actually a big fan of Jon's and I was voicing my opinion.

He genuinely believes in race genetics.

In the Nazi playbook, they cherry pick ideas that paint black people as being naturally violent and incompatible with society, while trying to paint white skinned people as being the only "civilized" group.

It's really fucked up and shows what kind of human he is when black people themselves are already a persecuted group, but the rich youtuber speaking from his ivory tower can claim blacks are a threat that need to be further ostracized.

Edit: Dude was banned but I still want him to read this. Especially when he claims to be black. If you side with this guy, you're siding with someone who secretly looks down on you, regardless if he makes you laugh.

L Thammy

what's the middle point between thinking white supremacists are fucking garbage and being a white supremacist?

Supporting white supremacists and talking down their critics while insisting that you're creating a dialogue between two equally valid opinions. Unless Boogie has mislead me?

CazTGG

review_03.gif

Can anyone give any detail or evidence for the lead dev being a piece of shit too? I'd like to read up on that.

Sponge posted about some of the actions taken by Mecha the Slag, the developer behind A Hat in Time, performed prior to undertaking this game:

He had viruses in zip files for some fan games he put out. This was on MFGG about a decade ago.

I also caught wind of what happened with him and MaxofS2D.

It's old news but still rubbed me the wrong way.

I imagine most minorities abandoned ship when he suggested we needed to be cleansed from the gene pool. Glad you can look past someone thinking your existence is a detriment to humanity to laugh at him playing bad video games though.

Jokes on you, he hasn't made a video about a video game in over a year. Another piece of the disappointment Pie that is Jontron, IMO. It was hard being a fan when it wasn't known he was a piece of shit due to his poor work ethic.

Now I just can't give two shits about him, because he doesn't really even deserve that much.

Jokes on you, he hasn't made a video about a video game in over a year. Another piece of the disappointment Pie that is Jontron, IMO. It was hard being a fan when it wasn't known he was a piece of shit due to his poor work ethic.

Now I just can't give two shits about him, because he doesn't really even deserve that much.

Oh yeah, like him leaving Game Grumps to "make more videos for the JonTron channel", then riding on his fans' hype for months without so much as an update vid?

I'm kind of glad I stopped caring about his work. His videos were good, but not good enough for me to ignore his reprehensible viewpoint.

You don't have to be white to support white supremacy, I'm sure he identifies himself as white as well.

I'd like to watch him go deep into Trump country and try to pull that shit off. "No guys, I'm totally white! I'm one of you!"

Would you buy a game that had Alex Jones or Richard Spencer providing voice work to it?

Someone made this same example with David Duke and it got conveniently ignored, this post seems to have been ignored also. What is it about JonTron that gets all these "sweep it under the rug" type posts on here? Would they still be saying, "But Richard Spencer was already paid! His role isn't even that big! The devs should be concentrating on the game instead of this fake controversy! Why should the dev come out against Richard Spencer? Racism doesn't even have any real consequences anyway!"

BBboy20

Getting anxious for people getting anxious over a death threat in a form of an ideology? .....I just...I'm not even judging the devs themselves but god damn, millions have been enslaved and died . Why would you tell others (specifically minorities) to not be fearful over ANY FUCKING SOUL that appears to be supportive of an apocalyptic vision in ANY FUCKING FASHION? I don't fucking get it why you don't see that or actually get into the shoes of the people JonTron wants to banish, enslaved, or worst. Believing that what JonTron believes is a relic in the past has been a huge mistake as it turns out, otherwise, this "normal" looking motherfucker wouldn't dare do this and actually gain traction from it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6-bi3jlxk

jholmes

I wish I could unback this.

I wish I could too. I could sell or give away my code but then I'd be involving getting other people into the game and it just seems so icky.

I've settled on actually playing it for a good bit and putting up a negative review about the experience.

I never thought he was funny. I am buying Yooka Laylee specifically because they took him out, I want to support people doing the right thing. I have no interest in the game, but my kids might enjoy it.

I will not buy anything he is involved in. Fuck him.

PokéKong

So no one from the developer has yet to mention a thing about this? Do we not know if this will even be taken care of or not in a day 1 patch? I want to hold my breath on this before anything official, but has anyone on the development team made some impression of being the type to fall for this brand of youtuber dumbass racism?

Oh yeah, like him leaving Game Grumps to "make more videos for the JonTron channel", then riding on his fans' hype for months without so much as an update vid?

I'm kind of glad I stopped caring about his work. His videos were good, but not good enough for me to ignore his reprehensible viewpoint.

Yep. It's hard to believe someone when they say they love making videos and they're really passionate about it and then they go MIA for over a year with no updates.

His viewpoints mixed with his straying away Video Game related material and poor work ethic/schedule... just at this point I don't think I could have much less respect for the guy.

I used to genuinely like him a lot, but the obvious censoring of him saying some really offensive shit on GG and other crap back when I was quite younger... it just all kinda made sense when his views were made clear.

I've seen that people think his parental abuse was a cause of it, and maybe, but like I'm sure others in the thread have said, it's no excuse. And that's coming from someone who's also had quite poor parental figures in their life as well. If anything, abuse from someone should be fought with never being like the abuser and making sure you never put someone through the shit you had to deal with. Not... whatever the hell Jon thinks.

The whole thing is just hugely disappointing. =l

As someone who wasn't planning to play this game in the first place, I think the most I'd do is just cringe during the JonTron dialogue bits. Seems a bit rash to me to forego the entire game on that basis, but to each their own.

I suppose the devs don't expect it to effect their bottom line too much.

frontovik

Banned
The developers are going to suffer from the wrath of the customer base regardless of whether they choose to stay silent or remove Jon's voice from the game.

I wonder if they ever regret inviting him for a voice cameo in the first place.

I wish I could too. I could sell or give away my code but then I'd be involving getting other people into the game and it just seems so icky.

I've settled on actually playing it for a good bit and putting up a negative review about the experience.

So even if you play it and enjoy it, you're gonna give it a negative review?

oni-link

I'm disapointed he will still be in the game, but I won't skip it

I will wait for a deep sale though, and I find his views abbhorant and never found him funny or entertaining at all

I feel like I'd struggle to enjoy any media if I boycotted everything touched by someone with crappy views. I like Assassins Creed games, and of the 1000s of people working on those I'm sure at least a few have shitty opinions that I profoundly disagree with

Oneself

Too bad, I knew Jon was a piece of shit but I didn't know the lead dev was one as well.

And I was looking forward to A Hat in Time...

I'll play some more Knack 2 then.

Kinsei

Banned
Thinking on it a bit more I don't think I will be supporting this game. The lack of a simple statement denouncing Jon's comments really rubs me the wrong way.

I'd like to watch him go deep into Trump country and try to pull that shit off. "No guys, I'm totally white! I'm one of you!"

Someone made this same example with David Duke and it got conveniently ignored, this post seems to have been ignored also. What is it about JonTron that gets all these "sweep it under the rug" type posts on here? Would they still be saying, "But Richard Spencer was already paid! His role isn't even that big! The devs should be concentrating on the game instead of this fake controversy! Why should the dev come out against Richard Spencer? Racism doesn't even have any real consequences anyway!"

Those comparisons to Alex Jones, Richard Spencer, and David Duke don;t really work in this situation. Someone hiring them for their game would know about how awful they are. When Jon was hired for this game no one knew he was a piece of shit.

I never thought he was funny. I am buying Yooka Laylee specifically because they took him out, I want to support people doing the right thing. I have no interest in the game, but my kids might enjoy it.

I will not buy anything he is involved in. Fuck him.

Yea, I feel like Playtonic deserves a lot of respect for doing the right thing even though they knew it would get them the ire of 4chan and friends. Their Publisher, Team 17 spoke up on this at the same time too.

Picked up Yooka-Laylee as a result of it, ended up really enjoying the game.

『Inaba Resident』;250842848 said:

Jontron is part of the game, no reason why that couldn't be a detractor of your experience.

Koobion

I'm sure there are plenty of developers and voice actors who share views I severely disagree with, but I won't let that stop me from enjoying a game I've been looking forward to. Seems like a silly thing to me.

jholmes

『Inaba Resident』;250842848 said:

On Steam it's either a thumbs up or a thumbs down and I already know which one of those this experience is.

I'm not going to say the game has bad graphics if I think it looks good, but I'm also not going to pretend a bit of clever design excuses the racism and other BS.

I'm sure there are plenty of developers and voice actors who share views I severely disagree with, but I won't let that stop me from enjoying a game I've been looking forward to. Seems like a silly thing to me.

I hope that everyone boycotting Hat in Time is also boycotting Kingdom Hearts III for featuring the disgusting asshat that is James Woods, right?

Codeblue

I'm disapointed he will still be in the game, but I won't skip it

I will wait for a deep sale though, and I find his views abbhorant and never found him funny or entertaining at all

I feel like I'd struggle to enjoy any media if I boycotted everything touched by someone with crappy views. I like Assassins Creed games, and of the 1000s of people working on those I'm sure at least a few have shitty opinions that I profoundly disagree with

If anyone that worked on Assassin's Creed started talking about the gene pool, Ubisoft would have launched them into the sun.

On Steam it's either a thumbs up or a thumbs down and I already know which one of those this experience is.

I'm not going to say the game has bad graphics if I think it looks good, but I'm also not going to pretend a bit of clever design excuses the racism and other BS.

I feel like the review should pertain to the game itself.

It's so fatiguing to be continually surprised by such disappointing news. I was looking forward to this game. Is it too much to ask for games to have strong positions against people and values that are so openly negative.

Review bombing has happened before and it will happen again.

I know and I don't agree with it.

Jontron is part of the game. He is only in the game because he's Jontron. He's there so people will say "oh wow that's Jontron, I heard he's in the game. I like Jontron."

Would stumbling upon Pence in the next platformer you play not sour your experience with that game?

If I enjoyed the game I played, then no, Pence being in (as much as I dislike him) as a minor voice actor role wouldn't be enough for me to give the game a negative review. I think it makes much more sense to not buy the game period.

『Inaba Resident』;250844444 said:
I feel like the review should pertain to the game itself.

Jontron is part of the game. He is only in the game because he's Jontron. He's there so people will say "oh wow that's Jontron, I heard he's in the game. I like Jontron."

Would stumbling upon Pence in the next platformer you play at all effect your experience with that game?

dickroach

alls I know is that I've been waiting for this game for 5 years and I had no idea it was coming out in a couple of days

Yep. It's hard to believe someone when they say they love making videos and they're really passionate about it and then they go MIA for over a year with no updates.

His viewpoints mixed with his straying away Video Game related material and poor work ethic/schedule... just at this point I don't think I could have much less respect for the guy.

I used to genuinely like him a lot, but the obvious censoring of him saying some really offensive shit on GG and other crap back when I was quite younger... it just all kinda made sense when his views were made clear.

I've seen that people think his parental abuse was a cause of it, and maybe, but like I'm sure others in the thread have said, it's no excuse. And that's coming from someone who's also had quite poor parental figures in their life as well. If anything, abuse from someone should be fought with never being like the abuser and making sure you never put someone through the shit you had to deal with. Not... whatever the hell Jon thinks.

The whole thing is just hugely disappointing. =l

Oh yeah, I had forgotten that, even on a show that gets as Crude as Game Grumps, Barry felt the need to censor SEVERAL of Jon's "jokes".

Well, that’s disappointing. The game was mildly on my radar, but can’t say I’ll ever pick it up now. Being attached in any way to a horrid person like jontron just isn’t excusable at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom