• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2010 Anime Thread: Wandering Son & All the Other Crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiff

Banned
faridmon said:
I don't think Black Lagoon and Baccano(?) did that.
Pretty sure Baccano did.

I couldn't care less if they use honorifics in the Japanese dialogue, but it's pretty ridiculous to carry it over in any kind of English translation if it doesn't fit with the setting (ie. Gosick).

faridmon

Legendary Warrior said:
Pretty sure Baccano did.

I couldn't care less if they use honorifics in the Japanese dialogue, but it's pretty ridiculous to carry it over in any kind of English translation if it doesn't fit with the setting (ie. Gosick).
I have no problems with Honorofic myself. I can understand it is a traditional part of the Japanese Language. But when you are pouring all your resources by trying to make an authentic European Victorian age, it just seems to ruin the mood. Talk about missing the point.

Blader

FnordChan said:
Okay, so I'm already going to completely disregard the opinion of someone who hates Millennium Actress. But, how in the hell can someone hate on the Black Labor arc in Patlabor? The fuck?

FnordChan

I could probably see why someone couldn't like Millennium Actress. I liked the film but the ending (literally in the second to last shot) really pissed me off. I also found the whole central plot point of the film pretty unbelievable, but whatever.

Geneijin

mAcOdIn said:
God that massage episode, ugh. I fucking hated this show so bad I stopped watching it, I don't stop watching many shows. I remember how relieved I was that at least they weren't in school but they made sure to get them there!
Oh, so you don't know what happened in the ending?
It becomes a true harem ending where many of the girls Kenshi wooed at school chase after him out of affection (actually, the female students at the school elected a representative of their love and hope Kenshi would marry her - that girl with glasses who kept calling him a ruffian, beast, or something similar). Surprisingly, some characters of the main cast like Lashara never develop any romantic feelings for the male harem lead. Shock! Lashara chases too because she does it out of greed and wants Kenshi out of profit if you remember the massage episode; and Chiaia simply follows along with Lashara, and her relationship with Kenshi actually remains like brother and sister at the end. But that's not what I'm laughing at mostly. Don't remember what's-his-name, but his body inhabited 2 personalities for some reason and switching between them changed his physical makeup between a male and female. In the end, his male personality dies, and she somehow becomes part of the harem too. It was so out there in nonsense.
:lol

It must be my exceedingly low expectations, but I thought episode 1 showed plenty of promise for a harem show; but then, it meandered and was a few episodes too long. It's a prettier looking ecchi harem than the average ecchi harem TV show because of the OVA treatment (exceptions aside) but that's about it.

Yeah, that was either her aunt or her mom, I remember now. I actually didn't think her design was terrible but I didn't really care for her character, or any other character to be honest.
Only name I remembered in that series was Mexiah and that's only because
she becomes part of the main story when it's revealed she's Doll - that green haired girl in the beginning.
That and probably because I like Mexiah's design as a teacher.

tiff

Banned
faridmon said:
I have no problems with Honorofic myself. I can understand it is a traditional part of the Japanese Language. But when you are pouring all your resources by trying to make an authentic European Victorian age, it just seems to ruin the mood. Talk about missing the point.
They didn't really pour all of their resources into making an authentic European Victorian age, though. I mean, they didn't even get the year right :lol

trejo said:
Well, they graphically show girls getting beheaded and mutilated and still make a point of showing their panties once they're lying in a puddle of their own blood.

Yeah, I'd say the fanservice is a bit much...

No one got beheaded. Also, I'm pretty sure they aren't actually dead when fighting each other, only when they're fighting the Nova thing.

7Th

What's up with Tauburn looking pretty different in the new OP and ED? Why would Takuto need an power-up? :lol

cosmicblizzard said:
No one got beheaded. Also, I'm pretty sure they aren't actually dead when fighting each other, only when they're fighting the Nova thing.

When fighting each other they can survive since they have the medical means to save them
(they have regenerative powers), when fighting the Nova's thats not really around so they can be lost.

Star Driver

Berserk Suit? ok

Takuto winning? check.

at least they finally know that her sis is the Maiden and it looks like Head will finally make a fucking move.

As for the preview i guess the cat's out of the bag with her now knowing that her sis also likes Takuto. Oh the drama next ep.....

Jex

7Th said:
Completely forgot to mention this in my previous post; if you're looking for what has Yasuomi Umetsu, the director of Mezzo and Kite, been up to these days, you should check out his OP for Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, AKA: by far the best part of the show.
Didn't even realise that OP contained a reference to the Mezzo OP.
duckroll said:
Star Driver is really a case of total bait and switch. After the first episode, I really would never have expected that Igarashi, Ito, Nakamura and Tanaka would basically never work on the series in any meaningful way after that. But now here we are after 14 episodes, with credits up to episode 18, and Igarashi is indeed no storyboarding anything since ep1, Ito has not returned as animation director for a single episode since ep1, and Nakamura is completely gone from the series (off working on Towa no Kuon no doubt). Tanaka's only other contribution since ep1 has been a short scene in ep10, and some of the action in OP2.

Seriously... wow.
Spread too thin.

Speaking of Star Driver here's OP2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9LSiy6lWh0 - now just a painfully stereotypical assortment of images, which seems only fitting.
FnordChan said:
Okay, so I'm already going to completely disregard the opinion of someone who hates Millennium Actress. But, how in the hell can someone hate on the Black Labor arc in Patlabor? The fuck?

FnordChan
Some people are just wrong.
Blader5489 said:
Its considerably better than the second season, if, for nothing else, the boss that is Graham Aker.
I don't want to same Graham in a Gundam movie, I want to see Gundams in a Graham movie.
7Th said:
Why the hell would you listen to someone so blatantly wrong talk about Japanese cartoons? And then you come here and give them advertisement. Damn, man.
Well, regardless of their taste they are generally eloquent and well informed about whatever they are discussing. It's not like Daryl and Clarrisa have awful taste! At least they balance that out.

When he talked about how he disliked Fantastic Children, even though everyone else loved it, I knew that I had to watch it!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wait people hate Millennium Actress what now?

FnordChan

Blader5489 said:
I could probably see why someone couldn't like Millennium Actress. I liked the film but the ending (literally in the second to last shot) really pissed me off. I also found the whole central plot point of the film pretty unbelievable, but whatever.

As much as I love Millennium Actress, I can accept, at least conceptually, the idea of someone disliking it and reacting badly to the final scene. It's the Patlabor Black Labor arc that I'm still confused by. I mean, okay, perhaps someone who doesn't like mecha or cop shows wouldn't like Patlabor as a whole, but that particular storyarc strikes me as being, at worst, inoffensive. Thus, I'm left wondering about the opinion of some random dude on the internet with a podcast. I should really learn to resist that impulse.

Back to the current season, I skimmed through the first episodes of Yumekui Merry and Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and was, as expected, really bored. As in, couldn't watch more than two or three minutes of either show bored.

On the plus side, all of Sakigake!! Otokojuku is now available fansubbed, so if this season turns out to be a complete wash at least I have old school thug anime to tide me over. For anyone who hasn't seen the series and it's hyper-manly wacky hijinx, I highly recommend checking out up through episode five or so. Later in the series it looks to become a fairly standard shounen action series, but early on it's just a laff riot.

FnordChan, off to start a podcast in order to validate his opinion to the world

Star Driver

I like the new OP. A lot better than Takuto just running. This actually gives you an idea of what the show is about.

As for the actual episode, it was okay. Every time there's some kind of anomaly during the battle, I think Takuto won't have an easy fight, but he always does anyway :/ . I really hope that humongous mech in the opening gives him trouble.

Lain

I've had the chance to rewatch some episodes of Future Boy Conan thanks to a new on-demand web TV streaming the episodes, and I totally forgot that the kids smoked in episodes 3.
I wonder if that would ever fly in today's anime.

Dundar

Well maybe he hates Patlabor's Griffin arc just because he's read Yuki Masami's manga and found it, like, totally superior to the anime.

I for one like Patlabor anime as a whole, but as far as the Griffin arc is concerned, manga owns anime so much it's not even funny.
But, well, i don't think he's ever read the manga, so, you know.....

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
His opinion of Fantastic Children is pretty valid, though, considering how far into it he was. And the art really is sorta ugly and grade-schooler-doodle-ish.
What the hell.

cosmicblizzard said:
Star Driver

I like the new OP. A lot better than Takuto just running. This actually gives you an idea of what the show is about.

As for the actual episode, it was okay. Every time there's some kind of anomaly during the battle, I think Takuto won't have an easy fight, but he always does anyway :/ . I really hope that humongous mech in the opening gives him trouble.

i wonder if the new mech that looks like Tau belongs to Head?

Jex

Urusei Yatsura 66: This just seems Oshii. After skimming some chapter summaries I don't see it's outline anywhere, so I'll assume this is coming from him.

Most obvious story hint - Ataru actually being serious in relation to Lum. And lot's of stuff not played for laughs.

Also, the whole resolution. Once again, not played for laughs, not even from Mendou.

Most obvious directorial hint - you can see the "Oshii city" sneaking in. Most of the cinematography for the city is reminiscent of Patlabor or Ghost in the Shell. It's surprisingly detailed urban landscapes, shot from interesting angles with realistic lighting. It's depicting things that aren't jokes or relevant to the story. It just builds mood. The slow, contemplative editing lets all the scenes breathe. It's totally different from the wacky, fast moving, chase people round the city type scenes.
Branduil said:
This is why we can't have nice things.
Oh snap.

duckroll

Just for a heads up (lolol pun!), I don't think Head is actually on the opposite side of Takuto....

Edit: Also, the new OP is pretty crappy considering it's storyboarded by Tsurumaki and Studio Khara...

Steroyd

vectorman06 said:
Pokemon Best Wishes ep 674-Ok. Just saw the best Team Rocket scene in this ep. Thank god they stopped trying to go after Ash and Pikachu.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa!!! Whoa whoa whoa.... WHOA!!!

*mindblown*

What do they actually do now? Or is that a one off episode?

Jex

Star Driver 14: Wherein the show stops pretending that it might be pandering to a male audience.

7Th

Jexhius said:
Star Driver 14: Wherein the show stops pretending that it might be pandering to a male audience.

It airs in the same time slot as Geass S2 and Gundam 00; any pandering to male fans is mere courtesy, they're aware most of their audience is female.

Jex

7Th said:
It airs in the same time slot as Geass S2 and Gundam 00; any pandering to male fans is mere courtesy, they're aware most of their audience is female.
Which is why I'm noting that they've even withdrawn that simple courtesy :lol

7Th said:

I never figured out how or why the mecha genre became so female-audience dominated.

Dresden

Unknown Soldier said:
I never figured out how or why the mecha genre became so female-audience dominated.
I've always blamed Gundam Wing, mainly because I remember seeing all the nerd girls obsess over it in middle school.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 11

Damn, wasn't expecting an ending like that. I'm sure things will be back to the status quo in the next episode, but I still never thought a show like this would even imply things going into Cerberus Syndrome territory.

Jexhius said:
Which is why I'm noting that they've even withdrawn that simple courtesy :lol
evavatarscale.jpg

Just noticed your avatar, can I see the full-size version?

faridmon

I still can't bellieve we are still discussing Star Driver :lol

Legendary Warrior said:
They didn't really pour all of their resources into making an authentic European Victorian age, though. I mean, they didn't even get the year right :lol
Maybe it was a troll to the Swiss as to say they are behind the time. If so then they did a great job at creatiing an authentic feeling of the Gothic Victorian Era :lol

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I'm looking for something that's melancholy but still upbeat. Any recommendation?

I just finished Natsume. Great little series that doesn't get much love.

faridmon

Trojita said:
So I went to that Anime Club today.

Total Failure

It seemed like everyone there was Autistic.
Yep, been there done that. Just move on, mate, and reagrd this as an experience of life.

Vox-Pop said:
I'm looking for something that's melancholy but still upbeat. Any recommendation?
Isn''t that contradictory?

Anyway, maybe Kurahime might be up to your ally. The whole central theme is centred around melfunctioned girls who are detached about real life (and fashion for that matter!) and go through some minor hinders along the way by a cross-dressed guy who is naive.

There is also Dennou Coil which is about a world controlled and limted by high-ups and the main kids are trying to get through the melancholic eerie created by them by solving a mestery. One of the best Animes around and defently the best animation in a TV series by far.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
faridmon said:
Yep, been there done that. Just move on, mate, and reagrd this as an experience of life.

Isn''t that contradictory?

Anyway, maybe Kurahime might be up to your ally. The whole central theme is centred around melfunctioned girls who are detached about real life (and fashion for that matter!) and go through some minor hinders along the way by a cross-dressed guy who is naive.

There is also Dennou Coil which is about a world controlled and limted by high-ups and the main kids are trying to get through the melancholic eerie created by them by solving a mestery. One of the best Animes around and defently the best animation in a TV series by far.
I want something sad, but I don't want the charter to be too depressed. I also don't want a show with a lot of deaths. Maybe upbeat was the wrong word. I just want a glimmer of hope.

Lain

Vox-Pop said:
I want something sad, but I don't want the charter to be too depressed. I also don't want a show with a lot of deaths. Maybe upbeat was the wrong word. I just want a glimmer of hope.

Try Kite.

Anyone here watched and enjoyed Armitage III, Armitage: Dual Matrix and Armitage III the third: Poly Matrixs, or am I alone?

faridmon

Vox-Pop said:
Then Dennou Coil tick all the criteria: There is sadness to be had (the world in depression mode, Yuko and her backstory), But it sin't too depressing (The first third of the show is light hearted mini stories that introduces the world and the technology, and latter, it becomes a series of self discovering and hope) and there is no death at all.

Not only that, it is one hell of a show and a one created by Mitsuo Iso and was being made for 10 years. Imagine the production value...

Lain said:
Try Kite.
WTF?

correct if I am wrong, but isn't that the contervesial OVA that was about and assassin who wroked for dirty police chief? If so, Absolutely stay away from this. It is one of the most depressing and emotionlly disgusting thing ever
Rape scenes ahoy

BluWacky

Vox-Pop said:

I just finished Natsume. Great little series that doesn't get much love.

Honey and Clover (if you are in college or recently graduated this is the bittersweet show for you)
Haibane Renmei (it gets a bit depressing towards the end but overall it's full of hope)
Kaiba (I find this show incredibly melancholy but with moments of soaring joy)
Kino's Journey
Mushishi
Please Save My Earth (short OVA, a bit dated now, but perfect story)

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
faridmon said:
Then Dennou Coil tick all the criteria: There is sadness to be had (the world in depression mode, Yuko and her backstory), But it sin't too depressing (The first third of the show is light hearted mini stories that introduces the world and the technology, and latter, it becomes a series of self discovering and hope) and there is no death at all.

Not only that, it is one hell of a show and a one created by Mitsuo Iso and was being made for 10 years. Imagine the production value...
thanks. I check those out. :)

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
BluWacky said:
Honey and Clover (if you are in college or recently graduated this is the bittersweet show for you)
Haibane Renmei (it gets a bit depressing towards the end but overall it's full of hope)
Kaiba (I find this show incredibly melancholy but with moments of soaring joy)
Kino's Journey
Mushishi
Please Save My Earth (short OVA, a bit dated now, but perfect story)
I've seen these and loved them.

Lain

faridmon said:
WTF?

correct if I am wrong, but isn't that the contervesial OVA that was about and assassin who wroked for dirty police chief? If so, Absolutely stay away from this. It is one of the most depressing and emotionlly disgusting thing ever
Rape scenes ahoy

Yeah, it's that. I don't see why anyone should stay away from it though, unless someone is underage and as such shouldn't watch mature stuff, but otherwise, Kite is pretty good and sort of fits the depressing angle while leaving some hope
that it crushes in the end, that ending was so bittersweet

Oh yeah, follow icarus-daedelus advice and watch Narutaru!
Better yet, read Narutaru!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom