• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision memo- Isn't Call of Duty Today Just Like Guitar Hero Was a Few Years Back?

Thanks to TheOddOne for bringing it to my attention. This is Patrick Klepek's first news piece over at Giant Bomb.

Klepek said:
I pulled that line from two internal Activision memos sent to employees, then passed to me... One of the memos, penned by Activision publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg, is mostly presented in a question-and-answer format.
"This is a great question and one we have thought about a lot," wrote Hirshberg back in February. "But there are several key differences between the two franchises worth considering. Guitar Hero quickly reached incredible heights, but then began a steady decline. Call of Duty, on the other hand, has steadily grown every single year of its seven-year existence."

"Guitar Hero," continued Hirshberg, "was a new genre which had incredible appeal, but which had not stood the test of time. Call of Duty exists in a genre--first person shooters--that has shown remarkable staying power and wide appeal over a period of decades. Plus, Call of Duty has inspired a massive, persistent, online community of players, making it perhaps the 'stickiest' game of all time."

"If you really step back and dispassionately look at any measurement—sales, player engagement, hours of online play, performance of DLC—you can absolutely conclude that the potential for this franchise has never been greater," he said. "In order to achieve this potential, we need to focus: on making games that constantly raise the quality bar; on staying ahead of the innovation curve; on surrounding the brand with a suite of services and an online community that makes our fans never want to leave. Entertainment franchises with staying power are rare. But Call of Duty shows all of the signs of being able to be one of them. It’s up to us."

"Activision doesn’t always seem to get the credit it deserves in terms of innovation in my opinion, but there is no short supply of it, even in our narrower slate," he noted, after listing several ways Activision intends to remain competitive, both with and without Call of Duty. "As I said, when you look at this list of projects and the innovations embedded within them, it is a pipeline any company would kill for."
Very interesting. What say you GAF? Do you have faith in Activision's ability to continue to innovate with the series?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Neuromancer said:
Very interesting. What say you GAF? Do you have faith in Activision's ability to continue to innovate with the series?
Hah.

In all seriousness, FPS may be a proven genre, but thats like saying fruit is an established food group.

NeonZ

At one point, weren't they releasing more than a single Guiter Hero game per year? I don't see Call of Duty crashing and burning unless they start doing the same thing with it.

If they continue with annual games, eventually they'll find some kind of ceiling for the game's sales, but it probably won't be a sudden drop.

Darklord

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Do you have faith in Activision's ability to continue to innovate with the series?

Modern Warfare innovated the series. They've done dick to it since. They don't even plan on using a new engine for ages because people will buy it anyway, so why bother?

NeonZ said:
At one point, weren't they releasing more than a single Guiter Hero game per year? I don't see Call of Duty crashing and burning unless they start doing the same thing with it.

If they continue with annual games, eventually they'll find some kind of ceiling for the game's sales, but it probably won't be a sudden drop.
try eight.

obonicus

eznark said:
I agree with Hirschberg and don't really get why this is a big story?

Well, people are always predicting that it's only a matter of time before CoD goes the way GH did. This gives part of Activision's view on the subject.

Zee-Row

Banned
Call of Duty is an over exposed fad right now , once it has every bit of life squeezed out of it like Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero were it will be tossed in the dumpster.

So far they haven't oversaturated the Call of Duty franchise; they've done a good job of sticking to one per year (which is, basically, exactly saturated) and of scaring lots of other people out of October releases. But they keep talking about it like they want to saturate it just a teeny bit more; I think any more than one game per year is going to cause them serious problems.

wwm0nkey

I think Battlefield 3 really has a chance to over throw Call of Duty if they do their ad camping right. Considering we are already seeing TV ad's for it they are obviously committed to defeating CoD.

dionysus

Yaldog
NeonZ said:

So far their treatment of the franchise has been very different, as you mention. So Hirshberg may be right that this franchise has inherent staying power, but they are also not exploiting it to the extent that GH was.

Funny that I should say that yearly releases isn't exploitation, when pretty much only Activision and sports games have yearly releases.

f0rk

eznark said:
I agree with Hirschberg and don't really get why this is a big story?

It's interesting to see internal thought. This arguments about why CoD is in better shape than Guitar Hero makes sense as well. Opinions on Activision maybe not so much.

I also like how Klepek has some detail about his source rather than the 'sources and informers' everyone had about the WiiHD.

i wonder when activision will finally go whole hog on the creepy/goofy right-wing paranoia shit and make Call of Duty: WHERE IS THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE

obonicus

wwm0nkey said:
I think Battlefield 3 really has a chance to over throw Call of Duty if they do their ad camping right. Considering we are already seeing TV ad's for it they are obviously committed to defeating CoD.

I really really don't see that happening, not unless BF3 is drastically different from both BF2 and BC2.

If you can be innovative with the FPS genre (which I think it's close to hitting it's ceiling, short of A.I.), I highly, HIGHLY doubt that Activision is going to somehow be involved with it.

Vice

eznark said:
In the span of one year they released Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Metallica, Smash Hits, On Tour, On Tour Rock Decades, Van Halen and World Tour.

They also released Band Hero which was basically just another Guitar Hero game.

Havok

Vice said:
In the span of one year they released Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Metallica, Smash Hits, On Tour, On Tour Rock Decades, Van Halen and World Tour.

I would like to know who greenlit that decision. That could not sound more insane even on paper.

Edit: Also, Klepek already bringing fresh news to Giant Bomb on day 3 of employment is pretty rad.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
i was just about to say that. look at klepek making an immediate impact.

StuBurns

Banned
CoD is the yearly $60 fee for playing the online game millions of people care about. It will sell every single year until the online is dethroned.

EDIT: And I expected the dethroning to take place next September when Respawn ship.

obonicus

eznark said:
the fuck?
What the other guy said. BF2's great, but it demands much more time investment than CoD, its focus is very different from BF2's. Simply releasing a bigger, better BF2 won't do anything to CoD. In fact, there's no indication that the CoD crowd even cares much for the things BF is good at, and instead care about the things BF has been historically bad about.

sleepykyo

NullPointer said:
I await the inevitable decline of the COD series. It'll happen sooner than people think imo.

How much of a decline are we talking about here? I doubt PS3 sales on the next installment are going to be as given how Black Ops turned out on the PS3. But what is going what is going to bring down the sales of the main sku (360) enough that the series as whole declines?

No one else has is willing to make a 60fps shooter on consoles (yes it isn't 60 but the other shooters are really 30 either). And so far all of the pretty COD clones (MOH or Crysis 2 mp) haven't done that much.

Is it just a general sense of the series turning stale?

Game Guru

CoD will not suffer from any decline until at least the next generation consoles come out. GoldenEye was the big FPS in the fifth generation. Halo was the big FPS in the sixth generation. CoD is the big FPS in the seventh generation. I can see an FPS dethroning CoD in the eighth generation.

mkenyon

Banned
eznark said:
the fuck?
I'm a child of fast paced skill shooters, not pseudo-sim army playgrounds. I kick myself in the balls every fall for doing it, but I still buy every CoD game that comes out. I would prefer to keep playing the same one, but since the community moves on, so do I. The engine is just fantastic.

Game Guru said:
CoD will not suffer from any decline until at least the next generation consoles come out. GoldenEye was the big FPS in the fifth generation. Halo was the big FPS in the sixth generation. CoD is the big FPS in the seventh generation. I can see an FPS dethroning CoD in the eighth generation.
If I'm not mistaken, Halo and CoD were released within a year of each other.

sleepykyo

Game Guru said:

Wonder if DICE would be willing to do 60fps on consoles next generation. Bad Company's controlled destruction combined with COD's responsiveness would be so hot.

Mooreberg

I don't see CoD taking a rapid freefall the way Guitar Hero did. You don't need expensive accessories, and so long as each game has a new campaign and a fresh set maps, it does not feel like something that should be downloadable content (I wasn't thrilled with all of the changes in MW2, but it was in no way COD 4.5 at all).

sleepykyo said:
Is it just a general sense of the series of turning stale?
That's my take. And 60fps isnt required to make a kick-ass shooter, although I do appreciate it.

Even in decline they will make a fuckton of money. My guess is that the next Infinity Ward game will not bring in as much revenue as Black Ops, and the next Treyarch title will see the biggest drop.

I have pulled this out of my sacred ass, source of all truth.

The Call of Duty series is sadly more appealing to a much broader audience than Guitar Hero was. As weird as that is to say, because Guitar Hero was considered a very casual type of game when it first gained popularity.

People don't get sick of shooters. They move on to new ones, but they're like summer action flicks, there's new ones every year, and they rake in millions of dollars even if they're terrible movies. (Look at Transformers for example)

well, the more fleshed out multiplayer aspect of COD vs. Guitar Hero will give it a lot more staying power, but FPS may not be on top forever.

diffusionx

Gold Member
My dad has been playing these games since MW nonstop. He doesn't play anything else. He likes the games. When the new one comes out he just moves to that. I mean, people play Halo or SF for years on end and nobody bats an eye.

CoD will be fine for the time being. GH was always in part smoke and mirrors because the huge revenue was driven by expensive peripherals. Even if the series was still popular it wouldn't be pulling in the cash it did a few years back.

CoD on the other hand is just straight disc sales.

Game Guru

mkenyon said:
If I'm not mistaken, Halo and CoD were released within a year of each other.

I never said it had to be a new FPS. Besides, we never saw Modern Warfare in the sixth generation, and I think we can all agree that CoD never became the big FPS until Modern Warfare.

Mileena

Banned
Vice said:

wrong

Top Bottom