• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: We outsell our competitors by around 50% on a weekly basis in PALand

but we have to do better in UK.

SCEE president said:
This is something we have been planning for a while.Getting to £199 is fantastic in the UK. It’s a real milestone.UK is one of the territories where we have to do better.

Whether you approach the UK from the perspective of our momentum, or the perspective of the competitive landscape, for us the UK is more like US than continental Europe.If you look across the PAL territory, where typically we outsell our competitors by around 50 per cent on a weekly basis, it’s inverted in the UK.That is something we want to address.

History has shown us that once you get to £199 you hit lift off. We can do some serious business and this kick-starts that. Getting to £199 was a defining moment for the PSone and PS2 – this will be no different.

PS2 across our territory went well over 50m units.We’re at 22m on PS3. So there’s lots of life in that still to come.

MCV

Yeah, it seems a lot of us Europeans are still Sony loyalists after the long PS1/PS2 reign. I personally know almost no-one that has a PS3, almost all my friends own a 360, but I guess we're the exception to the rule. :lol

Raonak

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Yeah, it seems a lot of us Europeans are still Sony loyalists after the long PS1/PS2 reign. I personally know almost no-one that has a PS3, almost all my friends own a 360, but I guess we're the exception to the rule. :lol

Yeah, mines the opposite. most of the people i know own ps3s, and the few with 360s also have ps3s. I think one of the reasons is because XB Live Gold isn't that great outside of the US, minimal features, maximum price. :/

Sony should really treat PAL better :(

Danielsan

Honestly this is as it should be.
Not because the 360 is worse, but because Xbox Live is a shitty service to pay for in the EU.
It certainly is why my PS3 is my primary console and my 360 my secondary.

manzo

"Only" 50%? That should be more, since there is absolutely no reason in Europe to buy a 360 over PS3 these days, unless you have to have Halo. Live is such a shitty value here and PS3 does everything and more what the 360 does.

This comes from a person who has mained 360 since its launch.

Raide

manzo said:
"Only" 50%? That should be more, since there is absolutely no reason in Europe to buy a 360 over PS3 these days, unless you have to have Halo. Live is such a shitty value here and PS3 does everything and more what the 360 does.

It is if you're still shelling out £39.99 but I have not spend that amount on Live since it first launched.

vanty

manzo said:

When did PGR4 come out on PS3?

Live sub can be bought quite cheaply online.. Never mind the €1 for 1 month deals.
Yobalt said:
Compared to Microsoft, Sony treats us like kings.
Oh really? Care to back this up?
**Not that MS don't treat us like shit, MS are extremely quick to prioritise and leave all EU non-UK countries sitting for months for a feature**

Parmenides said:
Sony: We outsell our competitors by around 50% on a weekly basis in PALand

Mainland PAL land. I think he's talking national trends here rather than the average, so UK would knock a big chunk off that 50%.
Also: did I see this article posted yesterday and the topic got locked? No idea what that was about, it deserves a second chance.

This is without pricecut. MS had a huge advanage thanks to the Arcade.

Regarding why - Xbox Live is awful in Europe, Playstation has great brandawarness and GAMES! Singstar, GT, formerly Eyepet etc. are all huge in Europe.

Majine

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
Live sub can be bought quite cheaply online.. Never mind the €1 for 1 month deals.

Oh really? Care to back this up?
Live Gold in european countries that aren't UK is pretty pointless.

Erethian

Would be nice to get some actual numbers sourced from the main tracking companies.

Percentages are useless otherwise, especially when used with such vague language.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It sounds like he's saying +50% in the mainland, but -50% in the UK. So what is it combined?

Seems weird to separate the numbers like that.

M.D

Erethian said:
Would be nice to get some actual numbers sourced from the main tracking companies.

Percentages are useless otherwise, especially when used with such vague language.

Someone post that Nintendo chart...

Majine said:
Not as many features, certainly. Pointless? Eh, I'd say that about Gold in general. Cross-game Party-chat is it's saving grace, considering Sony didn't have the foresight to make it possible on their system

Gustav said:
PSP Numbers in Japan > PSP Numbers in Europe
I think it was more of a dig at the being treated like Kings comment.
When was the euro PS3 launch? Yeah.

sublimit

Banned
Phonomezer said:
It's like Nintendo never existed! :p

During the PS1 and PS2 era they were indeed almost non-existent in mainland Europe.In this generation however things were different but i don't think they will repeat their success with the WiiU.

yurinka

cjelly said:
It sounds like he's saying +50% in the mainland, but -50% in the UK. So what is it combined?

Seems weird to separate the numbers like that.
Graphics Horse said:
Mainland PAL land. I think he's talking national trends here rather than the average, so UK would knock a big chunk off that 50%.
Also: did I see this article posted yesterday and the topic got locked? No idea what that was about, it deserves a second chance.
UK is less than 20% of the European market. And European is the bigger portion of their PAL market, that also includes middle east, Africa, Oceania, etc. So for Sony, UK is maybe around 10% of their PAL market.

darkwing said:
and they release Vita last in EU lolololol
Sony's like a bad boyfriend, I guess. They keep going back to it, even after getting treated like shit every time. :lol

Yeah, but Microsoft isn't any better. In a perfect world, they'd either drop the price for XBL in Europe or add enough features to make it worth €60, but this is not a perfect world. =(

Majine

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
Not as many features, certainly. Pointless? Eh, I'd say that about Gold in general. Cross-game Party-chat is it's saving grace, considering Sony didn't have the foresight to make it possible on their system

When you're paying more than american Gold users and getting less features, you know something is wrong.

Is Cross-game Party Chat going to be a Plus feature on Vita btw?

Lagspike_exe said:
This is without pricecut. MS had a huge advanage thanks to the Arcade.

Regarding why - Xbox Live is awful in Europe, Playstation has great brandawarness and GAMES! Singstar, GT, formerly Eyepet etc. are all huge in Europe.

GT5 is also still on several European charts.

yurinka

Majine said:
When you're paying more than american Gold users and getting less features, you know something is wrong.

Is Cross-game Party Chat going to be a Plus feature on Vita btw?
Still no signs of Plus in Vita. Looks like party chat in Vita is free, available to all users.
Majine said:
Consider that in most of these countries there should be more PS3 than 360 sold, so the US "I prefer Live because it has more friends playing there" thing here is inverted.

In addition to that, a lot of Gold features aren't available here.

Here he main reason to buy a 360 was "PS3 is still too expensive and 360 is cheaper (even if its online isnt' free) and has more or less the same games" and "cross-game voice chat + all consoles bundled with headset".

Here Halo or Gears aren't as huge as they are in US, and these are the only 360 exclusives that would move a decent number of more people here to buy a console.

Shiggy

darkwing said:
and they release Vita last in EU lolololol

Yoshida saying
tumblr_lqhh65G9v41qdd1oj.gif

Majine

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
I agree 100%. Still think XBLM is a better and more EU friendly store than PSN.
Yeah, but that's not a Gold feature.

The PSN Store does need a major overhaul tho.

snap0212

Hmm. I would not recommend the Xbox to any of my friends, to be honest. I'd actually not recommend any Microsoft product (except maybe Windows & Office) to anyone who doesn't live in the US (and maybe the UK). Microsoft just doesn't give a shit about what customers outside of these two regions want.

I'd recommend everyone to buy a PS3. Free online is a huge factor. I don't mind paying for a great service and I don't even mind paying 60€ a year for a great service. Xbox Live Gold is no such service.

The Xbox also isn't the "platform of choice" over here for retailers. The PS3 version is always the one that gets the most attention (ads), the PS3 section is way bigger at my local MediaMarkt and Saturn than the Xbox section, and Sony is a company that's willing to spend a ridiculous amount of money to make sure people know they're selling PlayStation on which you can play FIFA.
Majine said:
Yeah, but that's not a Gold feature.

The PSN Store does need a major overhaul tho.
Yes. The PSN Store is horrible and the fact that Sony is too lazy to do something about it is sad. I don't even want to browse the Store anymore to find out what's new. I visit the store, open the search and download the content I already know.

Myriadis

Withnail said:
But do SCEE treat Europe worse than Nintendo or MS do?

Currently,I don't know.But there are many,many RPGs for the PS2 that we Europeans never got.We only got Xenosaga II,ffs.
But to be honest,NoE in the SNES days also treated us like crap,RPG-wise.

Majine

Banned
snap0212 said:
Yes. The PSN Store is horrible and the fact that Sony is too lazy to do something about it is sad. I don't even want to browse the Store anymore to find out what's new. I visit the store, open the search and download the content I already know.

The PSN Store's biggest issue is that every piece of content is individual and not attached to other stuff from the same game, and I have a feeling that's undermining the search engine, which, needless to say, is terrible. I once saw a piece of DLC that didn't even say what game it was for. I think the description gave some hints, but damn.

They need to rebuild it from the ground up, and attach all relevant content together.

StuBurns

Banned
The situation in the UK is strange. I don't think it's too out of line to assume it's because the UK shares much of it's culture with the US by way of our media, not mainland Europe. It also came out way later and at an obscene price, but even still, I would have expected some leveling out by now. In fact I'd have expected the 360 to do better in Europe and worse in the UK because I believe broadband is much better there, so their need for a bluray player is diminished somewhat.

statham

with next gen launching soon this matter 0.0 percent, you want to outsell the comp. at the start not at the end of a generation.

StuBurns

Banned
statham said:
with next gen launching soon this matter 0.0 percent, you want to outsell the comp. at the start not at the end of a generation.
That doesn't make sense, whoever sells the most software wins, it doesn't matter how long it takes to do it. Dreamcast had a larger install base than PS2 for a period. It's meaningless.

Top Bottom