• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: We outsell our competitors by around 50% on a weekly basis in PALand

Sylver

Banned
I don't meet anybody with a 360 but well not many of my friends are gamers so it's pretty normal. In other side if you go to any of department stores over euroland where 75% of console base is bought (FNAC, ElCorteIngles, Mediamarkt) 360 is practically nonexistent.

statham

StuBurns said:
That doesn't make sense, whoever sells the most software wins, it doesn't matter how long it takes to do it. Dreamcast had a larger install base than PS2 for a period. It's meaningless.
huh? every big game thats still scheduled for 360/ps3 has already started production. and thats it. all future games will be planned for next gen. Unless your questioning it as a MS/SONY profitability which I could care less.

StuBurns

Banned
statham said:
huh? every big game thats still scheduled for 360/ps3 has already started production. and thats it. all future games will be planned for next gen. Unless your questioning it as a MS/SONY profitability which I could care less.
Then what are you talking about? Getting exclusives? Because neither of them are ever going to anyway, so it makes no difference.

yurinka

statham said:
with next gen launching soon this matter 0.0 percent, you want to outsell the comp. at the start not at the end of a generation.
No, the inverse.

At the start you sell at loss. Now you get profit with every console sold and you sell more consoles.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Well, at least Sony is giving us free-region consoles with a PSN service that's also not region locked. This is a big deal, at least for me.

statham said:

They are not going to start any meaningful production on a "next gen" game until specs are given to devs and most likely actual production will not start until they have dev kits in hand.

So what you are talking about is speculation. The benefits for console selling "better" at end of life than at the start are very high especially since Sony tends to keep their consoles going for quite some time.

Kafel

Banned
Sure, the week the price dropped. On this weekly basis.

edit : ok, didn't see the chart. Odd timing for this info.

jcm

Kafel said:
You should probably review the chart on page 1.

17l.jpg

Danielsan said:
Honestly this is as it should be.
Not because the 360 is worse, but because Xbox Live is a shitty service to pay for in the EU.
It certainly is why my PS3 is my primary console and my 360 my secondary.

Care to elaborate on Live being a shitty service in the EU?

mr_toa

Remembering back on the numbers that Sony revealed on their FY10/11 statement, it all boiled down to, that US and JP sales cancel out pretty much, and that X360 and PS3 appear to be almost 1:1 across Europe.

So Sony go £199, Microsoft follows and both are back to status quo, and this generation plays out as expected; wii takes crown, x360 and ps3 ties for second more or less.

<edit> On the LTD in Europe, I seem to recall that the last LTD globally reported was around 55 million, give some 28-30 million of these are US-based, with some 1.5 million in Japan, well you'd be in the right ballpark to say X360 and PS3 is pretty close LTD in Europe</edit>

Withnail

Kafel said:

Doesn't sound like he's talking about a single week.

If you look across the PAL territory, where typically we outsell our competitors by around 50 per cent on a weekly basis, it’s inverted in the UK

French

Banned
CozMick said:
It goes without saying that with the recent price drop that gap is only going to get larger.

I don't see this price cut having a big effect. It was already 249 in some retailers before the price cut.

In Europe the PS3 will continue to outsell the 360/Wii, maybe a little more but nothing dramatic.
In the US I'm pretty sure that we'll see PS3 < 360 in August NPD ( and for the rest of the year ).
Same for Japan, it will maybe have a small bump but nothing important.

manzo

Raide said:
It is if you're still shelling out £39.99 but I have not spend that amount on Live since it first launched.

The cheapest where I can get 12 months of Live is 32 euros. That's online and only the code. Still, the ONLY thing that's different with PSN here is that you will have party chat.

vanty said:
When did PGR4 come out on PS3?

Oh come ON. PGR4? GT5 and Forza shits all over that game that it's not even funny. But that's just my opinion, opinions and assholes etc.

For me, the CAVE games and the fact that all my friends play over Live are the only things that keep me actively in the Microsoft camp.

TerryWogan said:

We don't have:

- Last.fm
- Netflix
- ESPN
- 1 vs 100 (when it existed)
- HuluPlus

We have Zune videos though, but no subtitles (a real dealbreaker here) and the prices are above brick and mortar rental stores. Basically, we pay more than you and we miss nearly all the good features of Live. We basically pay only to play online, which PSN offers for free.

Blue Ninja said:
Yeah, it seems a lot of us Europeans are still Sony loyalists after the long PS1/PS2 reign. I personally know almost no-one that has a PS3, almost all my friends own a 360, but I guess we're the exception to the rule. :lol

)'m European as well, and I personally know almost no-one that has a 360.

Kafel

Banned
manzo said:
We don't have:

- Last.fm
- Netflix
- ESPN
- HuluPlus

We had/have them in France.

But I don't want to picture someone in another country paying 60 € for Live and not even getting basic stuff like XBLIG and Rock Band Network (which are free).

Mr_Brit

Banned
manzo said:
The cheapest where I can get 12 months of Live is 32 euros. That's online and only the code. Still, the ONLY thing that's different with PSN here is that you will have party chat.

Oh come ON. PGR4? GT5 and Forza shits all over that game that it's not even funny. But that's just my opinion, opinions and assholes etc.

For me, the CAVE games and the fact that all my friends play over Live are the only things that keep me actively in the Microsoft camp.

We don't have:

- Last.fm
- Netflix
- ESPN

- HuluPlus

We have Zune videos though, but no subtitles (a real dealbreaker here) and the prices are above brick and mortar rental stores. Basically, we pay more than you and we miss nearly all the good features of Live. We basically pay only to play online, which PSN offers for free.
You have got to be trolling here. You're seriously expecting MS to bring US only media services to Europe? The absence of those services in Europe has nothing to do with MS.

Edit: Also, is XBL Gold really 60euros? Here in the UK you can pick it up for around £25 from the internet and around £32 in shops which is less than 40 euros.

TerryWogan said:

Many countries don't have the Indie games Channel. We don't have Netflix, Hulu or any other video streaming service unless it's SkyTV on the UK, for which, I understand, you would have to pay extra. There's no LastFM either. The Zune Video European marketplaces have very few movies in comparison... and still we have to pay almost $90 a year for that.

Mr_Brit said:
You have got to be trolling here. You're seriously expecting MS to bring US only media services to Europe? The absence of those services in Europe has nothing to do with MS.

The price has EVERYTHING to do with them. They're charging us more for far less functionality. They could make deals with European content providers, but still they happy making us pay for the paltry service they offer.

Edit: Also, is XBL Gold really 60euros? Here in the UK you can pick it up for around £25 from the internet and around £32 in shops which is less than 40 euros.

Unfortunately, it is. You can get it cheaper on online shops, but at retail you won't get 12-month cards for less than that.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Trunchisholm said:
Many countries don't have the Indie games Channel. We don't have Netflix, Hulu or any other video streaming service unless it's SkyTV on the UK, for which, I understand, you would have to pay extra. There's no LastFM either. The Zune Video European marketplaces have very few movies in comparison... and still we have to pay almost $90 a year for that.
Netflix and Hulu don't exist outside the US, it has nothing to do with MS. Sky TV is exclusive to the UK so ofcourse it doesn't exist in other countries. Seriously baffled that I have to explain that to people.

R&R

Mr_Brit said:

No, what he is trying to say is that we are not getting even half of the services offered in US for Live, yet we pay in many cases MORE!

Of course services like HuluPlus are not gonna be offered in Euroland, but if not, the basic service fee for Live should be much less - which it is not, quite the opposite in most EU countries...

snap0212

Mr_Brit said:

This has been discussed 100 times already. We have similar services in Europe... Microsoft simply doesn't want to support them and they still want us to pay more than people in the US have to.

mr_toa said:
Remembering back on the numbers that Sony revealed on their FY10/11 statement, it all boiled down to, that US and JP sales cancel out pretty much, and that X360 and PS3 appear to be almost 1:1 across Europe.

So Sony go £199, Microsoft follows and both are back to status quo, and this generation plays out as expected; wii takes crown, x360 and ps3 ties for second more or less.

<edit> On the LTD in Europe, I seem to recall that the last LTD globally reported was around 55 million, give some 28-30 million of these are US-based, with some 1.5 million in Japan, well you'd be in the right ballpark to say X360 and PS3 is pretty close LTD in Europe</edit>

Your math is a bit off. The 360 is larger than PS3's install base in the US (28 million vs 17 million) and japan cannot make up for that (around 7 million), so obviously the PS3 has to be doing better worldwide to narrow the gap so much. Puts PAL at 22 million and EMEAA at 6 mill for PS3. So if NA + Japan can add up to around 30 million for the 360, then the 360 would have to be doing next to nothing in EMEAA areas to be 1:1 for sony in PAL areas given both companies reported shipments.

Mr_Brit said:
Netflix and Hulu don't exist outside the US, it has nothing to do with MS. Sky TV is exclusive to the UK so ofcourse it doesn't exist in other countries. Seriously baffled that I have to explain that to people.

That's not the point. We all know that. All we're saying is that it's not fair that we don't get those or any equivalent services and we still have to pay through the nose for Live Gold.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Mr_Brit said:

But it is MS's fault that iPlayer doesn't exist on live and that alone would be a massive bonus to UK consumers, and not to mention ITV and 4OD, for free.

Mr_Brit

Banned
R&R said:
No, what he is trying to say is that we are not getting even half of the services offered in US for Live, yet we pay in many cases MORE!

Of course services like HuluPlus are not gonna be offered in Euroland, but if not, the basic service fee for Live should be much less - which it is not, quite the opposite in most EU countries...
Not really. What he was saying was that we were getting a worse service due to the absence of those specific services not the fact that comparable services don't exist which is a valid point and MS should decrease the price to reflect that.

lowrider007 said:
But it is MS's fault that iPlayer doesn't exist on live and that alone would be a massive bonus to UK consumers, and not to mention ITV and 4OD, for free.
True but the person I was quoting wasn't saying that.

Micerider

Mr_Brit said:

It's not the matter of having US medias broadcast on Live in EU, the real matter is that we do not have ANYTHING that would match the offer (that and, for instance in Belgium, no XBLIG).

And yes, official store price for a year of Live is 60 Euros. Some UK online retailers are however much cheaper than that.

But the service is just not worth the full price. And it's honestly an additionnal incentive to switch to PC for multiplayer games.

Mr_Brit said:

People understand that. I think it's fair to say that in territories where these services aren't available, Microsoft should either try and secure services for these reasons or adjust the price accordingly.

They really do need to do better in the UK - it's glad to see that they acknowledge that. The thing is, they're doing FANTASTIC in Europe, but that success is being dampened because the biggest European market - and in fact one of the biggest markets in the world even when stood alone - I think it's third after the US and Japan - has been a real problem for Sony this gen. If they figure this out, they can have all of Europe on lock, pretty much.

Mr_Brit said:
Not really. What he was saying was that we were getting a worse service due to the absence of those specific services

But we are... The fact that those services don't exist here is moot. They don't do a thing to provide similar services on their platform. We get less for more. Yep, that's what I call a worse service. They've proved time and time again that they hardly care about Europe.

I agree with many here: Microsoft would do so much better in EU if they treated EU Live members like they do NA Live members. Also, Microsoft doesn't advertise alot in EU, and it gets worse the deeper and deeper you go into the mainland. Some countries, especially smaller ones, have people who don't even know what an Xbox is, and the only people there who really know are small hardcore, niche communities.

MS need to put more effort into EU.

It's pretty obvious that live is the problem. In the US and UK that is basically the 360's big selling point. They can't expect to just handicap such an important service and expect people to pick up the console in the same numbers.

Next gen i think MS needs to just forget about Japan and make Europe their priority. It seems as though none of the big three want to take the European market as seriously as they should despite it's huge size.

AntiTout

AdventureRacing said:
It's pretty obvious that live is the problem. In the US and UK that is basically the 360's big selling point. They can't expect to just handicap such an important service and expect people to pick up the console in the same numbers.

Next gen i think MS needs to just forget about Japan and make Europe their priority. It seems as though none of the big three want to take the European market as seriously as they should despite it's huge size.

I don't think that xboxlive is the problem since everyone and everywhere can stream movies. It's not about the services, that I don't give a shit about, it's about the reliability of the hardware. Here in France you can't just bring your 4th broken XBOX360 to the store and get a new one. You have to send it to Germany, and wait, and maybe you'll get a working XBOX, maybe.
If MS can provide a reliable hardware and a "bring your broken console, and go with a working one in store" where you bought it, then it's OK.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AntiTout said:
I don't think that xboxlive is the problem since everyone and everywhere can stream movies. It's not about the services, that I don't give a shit about, it's about the reliability of the hardware. Here in France you can't just bring your 4th broken XBOX360 to the store and get a new one. You have to send it to Germany, and wait, and maybe you'll get a working XBOX, maybe.
If MS can provide a reliable hardware and a "bring your broken console, and go with a working one in store" where you bought it, then it's OK.

So in other words the problem got solved a year or two ago, and the lack of sales in 2011 are because the people who bought from 2005-2009 can't return their broken 360s in store to get new ones for free?

AntiTout

Stumpokapow said:
So in other words the problem got solved a year or two ago, and the lack of sales in 2011 are because the people who bought from 2005-2009 can't return their broken 360s in store to get new ones for free?
Where is* this problem solved? In France (EUROPE), I don't think so, you can't bring a defective 360 in store and go with a working one, unlike in th US. That's my point.
edit: *

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
StuBurns said:
The situation in the UK is strange. I don't think it's too out of line to assume it's because the UK shares much of it's culture with the US by way of our media, not mainland Europe. It also came out way later and at an obscene price, but even still, I would have expected some leveling out by now. In fact I'd have expected the 360 to do better in Europe and worse in the UK because I believe broadband is much better there, so their need for a bluray player is diminished somewhat.

I think more than a culture thing it's a language thing. Xbox Live is all about chatting with people online, which is something English speakers really benefit from compared to those that don't speak English (or are not comfortable with it).

Heck, English is de facto the online gaming language. Try speaking any other language in SOCOM 4 and you'll soon be kicked.

Miss the days when we had servers listed by language/country in SOCOM :/

IMO every game should have a language filter so that matchmaking puts you with people speaking the same language as yours.

Shiggy

AntiTout said:
Where this problem was solved? In France (EUROPE), I don't think so, you can't bring a defective 360 in store and go with a working one, unlike in th US. That's my point.

As long as it's not older than 2 years, you can do that.

WrikaWrek

Banned
It's good news if you think about Sony's current situation, but fact is they declined and lost a lot to the competition.

Ps3 as a system didn't rise in popularity compared to PS2, it dropped. 360 did the opposite, and so did the Wii.

Girl/Sony: You've been so wonderful to me.
Boy/Euro Fan: You're worth it, sweetie. Now, are you gonna give me more bang for my buck?
Girl/Sony: No, I'll just complain to you about my other boyfriends while you get less service than they do. I will praise you once in a while, though.

Rad-

AdventureRacing said:

Not really. Most consumers don't even know about that stuff before they buy the console. It's mostly a marketing/brand issue. Everyone in continental Europe knows what Playstation or Nintendo means but not many people other than gamers know what Xbox means.

TTP said:
I think more than a culture thing it's a language thing. Xbox Live is all about chatting with people online, which is something English speakers really benefit from compared to those that don't speak English (or are not comfortable with it).

Heck, English is de facto the online gaming language. Try speaking any other language in SOCOM 4 and you'll soon be kicked.

Miss the days when we had servers listed by language/country in SOCOM :/

IMO every game should have a language filter so that matchmaking puts you with people speaking the same language as yours.

This was my thinking on it as well. I would play Lost Planet a lot but when I switched over to the Japanese servers to get more of a challenge but the frustration of not being able to understand my teammates made me not want to play.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
cjelly said:
It sounds like he's saying +50% in the mainland, but -50% in the UK. So what is it combined?

Seems weird to separate the numbers like that.
Because it makes it sound much better. They are knocking off about 30-35% of sales in the region then, specifically where they aren't in the lead.

UK also responds much more similar to the NA market. From a sales perspective, you might as well count them as it.

jcm

shintoki said:
Because it makes it sound much better. They are knocking off about 30-35% of sales in the region then, specifically where they aren't in the lead.

UK also responds much more similar to the NA market. From a sales perspective, you might as well count them as it.

It doesn't make it sound better, it makes it sound worse. He could have just said "We're the top selling hardware in Europe", and left it at that.

He's doing it to point out that the PS3 has a big lead already in the rest of Europe, but UK has lots of room for improvement, so there's the potential for a nice boost from the price cut.

Curufinwe

I NEED SCISSORS said:
At the very least the console is region free and we can easily make accounts for other Store regions.

Nintendo are the real enemy.

The ease of making foreign accounts for the PS3 is pretty awesome. Just last night I was able to put in my old New Zealand PSN account details and download the PES 2012 demo that's not available on the American store.

Top Bottom