• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't want to make this a most anticipated film of 2012 thread, but Gravity is my #1. And then The Master, Cogan's Trade, Django and Looper.

I knew I was forgetting some. Every fucking month I go through what is coming out next year. Just a ridiculous amount of must sees.

Yes, Gravity is right alongside all of them. Been anticipating that motherfucker for years now and am still feeling the sting of Bullock being cast.

Will have to look into Cogan's Trade.

1. The Hobbit
2. The Master
3. Batman
4. Cogan's Trade
5. Prometheus
6. Lincoln
7. Looper
8. Django
9. Gravity

and if a Malick film comes out next year then just replace the master wit that.

lol Fassbender looks like a Jude-Law sexbot

Seems like scans are allowed here now after TDKR thread, from BD.

Edit: Looks like BD doesn't like image re-hosting. Posted below.

New Images From Ridley Scott’s ‘Prometheus’ Feature Michael Fassbender, Eggs, a Massive Head and More

LOVE that egg field design, not so sure about the way the characters look.

I cannot wait to see more from this film. I really hope we will see a trailer soon. Anyways, over all looking good, although im not sure what I think of the first pic. It just..looks to clean and shiny? Probably wont look that off in the film though, so Im not worried, even if the suits arent what I expected exactly.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Very impressive. More aesthetically pleasing than I thought it would be.

Those characters look fucking stupid. Wish they had gone with the more down to earth designs of Alien. Isn't this supposed to be a prequel, allegedly?

i'm sorry jett. you're my bro and all, but you are just wrong here.

they should give us the trailer already the film is 6 months away and still no trailer? shameful.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Those characters look fucking stupid. Wish they had gone with the more down to earth designs of Alien.

That's my reaction as well. Everyone but Elba looks like they're in a futuristic ad campaign for pristine designer spacesuits from Target or Gap.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
character design is atrocius. WTF is this Star Trek/Mass Effect bullshit? This is Aliens universe, it should be gritty and realistic.

Fuck Hollywood.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not sure if any of you caught this, but...

6387487379_ff5a85f51b_z.jpg

Weyland-Yutani_Corp._Logo.gif

...yeah.

Hudson1.jpg

subversus

I don't get why their faces look like they are taken straight from american ads from 50s??? How can you do that?

I shudder at the thought of Blade Runner sequel.

character design is atrocius. WTF is this Star Trek/Mass Effect bullshit? This is Aliens universe, it should be gritty and realistic.

Fuck Hollywood.

We don't know what the people are. They might be some type of recon team and not just normal miners. It would explain why their suits are different.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Charlize Theron is just dropping by after suiting up as Samus Aran to promote Metroid Dread.

subversus

We don't know what the people are. They might be some type of recon team and not just normal miners. It would explain why their suits are different.

I think it sums up modern era design pretty nice - clinically clean, artificial, plastic look to EVERYTHING.

and do you remember space marines from Aliens? Now imagine them having suits from Warhammer universe. Totally the same vibe, recon team or not.

I miss 90s - 70s. 80s had the same shitty vibe in most media.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
The lack of faith in Ridley Scott, considering the love he has for this particular franchise, concerns me.

I shudder at the thought of Blade Runner sequel.

I quiver with excitement.

Stet

Banned
I think it sums up modern era design pretty nice - clinically clean, artificial, plastic look to EVERYTHING.

and do you remember space marines from Aliens? Now imagine them having suits from Warhammer universe. Totally the same vibe, recon team or not.

I miss 90s - 70s. 80s had the same shitty vibe in most media.

I would have loved it if Ridley had gone the route of making this an actual prequel including the technology. I really hope that they haven't "spruced up" the computer systems for this film. Can you imagine a precursor to Mother that looked similar to Mother, flashing lights and hard-contact keyboard keys and everything?

big_z

Those characters look fucking stupid. Wish they had gone with the more down to earth designs of Alien

i agree they look too young and too clean. that said the crew in the first aliens were basically miners/space truckers so maybe if the crew in this movie is from a high end planet exploratory ship then the dumb suits, hair cuts and makeup could maybe make sense.

FoneBone

Yeah, my understanding is that the movie is going to center around a big, public, corporate-backed expedition. The space-trucker look wouldn't make sense for it.

Oh, and the EW article confirms that the company in the movie is Weyland-Yutani.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is it me or does those spacesuit images have a severe case of photoshopped-head-onto-body syndrome? The lighting and the angles their heads are in relation to their bodies just doesn't look natural.

raphier

Banned
Is it me or does those spacesuit images have a severe case of photoshopped-head-onto-body syndrome? The lighting and the angles their heads are in relation to their bodies just doesn't look natural.

You're not alone. The lighting on heads does not match with the rest of the image.

AAequal

Banned
I hate everything about those pictures :D Those uniforms look so fucking lame and going by the little details of the cockpit I'm going to hate the aesthetics of the space ship too. Not jumping to any conclusions yet.

I like the cockpit pic with sexy ass Samus and Idris Elba but I really really don't like the one with the 3 astronauts (including Fassbender). It looks so plastic and clean.

jett

D-Member
Very impressive. More aesthetically pleasing than I thought it would be.

i'm sorry jett. you're my bro and all, but you are just wrong here.

they should give us the trailer already the film is 6 months away and still no trailer? shameful.

shame you feel that way mayne

I agree with whoever said the heads look shopped on.

Busty

Banned
To all of you who say this looks a little too bright or a little too 'Star trek' etc I say what were you expecting?

This is a film from Tom Rothman's Fox. An executive well known for hating r-rated films and taking risks.

Just going by those costumes it looks like everyone but Elba is a business person or scientist. And if that's the case their clothing makes sense. They should be more high-end and clinical than the space truckers of the original film.

Love what I'm seeing, definitely in the spirit of Alien. Good to see Giger designs realized on a large scale again.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just going by those costumes it looks like everyone but Elba is a business person or scientist. And if that's the case their clothing makes sense. They should be more high-end and clinical than the space truckers of the original film.

Love what I'm seeing, definitely in the spirit of Alien. Good to see Giger designs realized on a large scale again.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Elba's outfit makes sense in that context. Very excited for this film.

The monolithic head sculpture more than makes up for my worries of the George Lucas "well, it's a prequel, so dirt and grime didn't exist but bright colors did"-itis.

The lighting is intentional. These are just staged promo shots, not color graded frames from the film.

Collider said:
I’ve always heard you want as much light as possible.

Scott: That’s the downside.

But isn’t Alien almost the antithesis of that because the movies have always been about shadow and darkness and hiding things.

Scott: That’s what Jim [Cameron] said. The problem is you’ll have to grade it later. You’ll have to grit your teeth and light it not the way you’d like it. And then later, you’re gonna have to regrade it. Repaint it. In fact, Avatar, when you think about it, is almost a completely animated movie.

Then you get stuff like this, albeit not off a mobile phone:
sKvc6.jpg
z2Rnw.jpg

Supposedly we're getting the trailer next month.

Pctx

Banned
The lighting is intentional. These are just staged promo shots, not color graded frames from the film.

sKvc6.jpg
z2Rnw.jpg

The scans seems oversampled a bit in terms of brightness but I'm guessing the colors will be a bit more washed out ala 'Alien' to make for a more moody experience.

Cannot F'NING WAIT!

http://i.imgur.com/sKvc6.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/z2Rnw.jpg

Interesting. So they intentionally shoot with a more brightly-lit set but darken things in post-production?

Those two screens you posted make me feel better about the ship and the space suits. Looks much more realistic and gritty than the magazine shots.

Stet

Banned
Interesting. So they intentionally shoot with a more brightly-lit set but darken things in post-production?

Those two screens you posted make me feel better about the ship and the space suits. Looks much more realistic and gritty than the magazine shots.

I guess these days with the incredible things you can do in post, you can treat the picture a lot like sound -- you want a completely clean master and then you can mess with that as much as you want. Kind of takes the artistry out of it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Shooting with as much light as possible makes absolute sense. Anybody that has even done an amateur ounce of film taking of any kind will know that staging a scene in darkness is absolute madness even with the best equipment.

That's why I am not worried about these set photos at all. Hell, have we not gone over this with TDK? They shot entire scenes during the day and then made it look like it was night during post-production. There's a reason for that.

It's just like you can downsample an image, but enlarging it will degrade the quality of it. What happens if there's a scene that just doesn't turn out the way the filmmaker wanted it because they shot it in too dark of an area, and a ton of detail is just completely lost? Good luck brightening that scene and making it look right without re-shooting it completely in better lit conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom