• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scullibundo said:
He does it in maybe every second film. Cameron won't rest until everything isn't just blue, but DAT BLUE.

I kinda hate his infatuation with blue.

And blue's my favorite color so that kinda says something.

jett

D-Member
Cameron likes blue so much he blue himself.

Ridley Scott is infatuated with aggressive color filtering too. Prometheus is gonna be blue as fuck.

Scullibundo said:
What I want you to do right now is read his post again and ask yourself if he was really bashing Nolan, or maybe - just maybe you got a little sensitive to the fact that somebody voiced that they JUST MIGHT be anticipating another film more than TDKR.
Sensitive to what? I'm hardly a Nolan devotee.

I just find it annoying how his films get brought up in the most random places.

BertramCooper said:
I just find it annoying how his films get brought up in the most random places.

by the lovers and haters. But he is arguably the most popular director on GAF by far so it's bound to happen on most film threads.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
When's the trailer supposed to come out? Anyone know?

Probably In Time. Someone's already seen it:

This fan site for Ridley Scott's upcoming Prometheus apparently caught on to a Twitter feed where the account holder - named Chris - was "tweeting" his thoughts on an early Prometheus trailer.

Apparently, Chris' theater in Denver had a Nielson kiosk where he was able to get a glimpse of a preview. He ultimately broke from Twitter and wrote in to the fan site with the following report:

"It was nearly 2 minutes long and looked fairly polished and complete. It was using a temp track for music and the trailer was VERY similar to the original teaser for ALIEN the way is was cut together. Quick shot after another. Had a couple a lines of dialog I think but is was hard to hear since my lobby was a bit noisy.

The planet they showed in the trailer looked nothing like original one where the derelict was crashed. It was sunny and desert like in appearance. The space suits the characters were wearing were VERY similar to the original suits worn by the crew of the Nostromo. The interior shots of their ship looked clean and not used like the the NOSTROMO did. It was all new and shiny looking. I did not see an exterior shot of the derelict ship but there were some really quick shots of the inside like the jockey, another room that looked like were the jockey was but without it, the room with the eggs but there were no eggs in it. There were some quick shots of the crew walking in the same "halls" that Kane and Dallas walked in as well in the derelict ship. But these things were hitting the screen so fast, it was hard to process all the information. Some of the crew look were in medical/cryo-tubes with something moving in their abdomens not their chests. Their eyes also appeared to be completely black and the faces altered I think. The end of the trailer ended with the title forming much like the ALIEN title did in the original movie at the top of the screen."

The rest of the report is Chris speculating when and where the "aliens" might pop up in the final film. But again, that's just speculation. Good to hear a trailer is on the way, however!

Puddles

Banned
Expendable. said:
Heard more reports today that the above story is bullshit. Fox doesn't even have a trailer cut yet. We'll see.

Fuck.

Well, now that I think of it, this might be a good thing. I'm actually hoping for the xenomorphs to be featured prominently, at least in the final third of the film, so I would have been a little disappointed if this guy's speculation turned out to be correct.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
man, this shit better not be bumped again without a link to a teaser of some sort!

alphaNoid

Banned
Puddles said:
Fuck.

Well, now that I think of it, this might be a good thing. I'm actually hoping for the xenomorphs to be featured prominently, at least in the final third of the film, so I would have been a little disappointed if this guy's speculation turned out to be correct.
I thought most rumors were saying Xenomorphs
had a very small role in that they only show up near the end of the movie, a glimpse to tie the franchise together a bit further?

Tom_Cody

Sorry, no Promethius news. I just wanted to post this promotional image from Alien that I had never seen before.

OZ5Ew.jpg

Man

Some news round up:

Ben Foster was never onboard Prometheus and it's a false rumor (OP edited).
http://www.alienprequelnews.com/2011/10/ben-foster-never-boarded-prometheus.html

Two Rafe Spall interviews:
Rafe Spall said:
"It was so top secret. There were security guards on set, Ridley doesn't want people to find out about it. One thing you learn in life is you don't mess with Ridley! He's amazing, an incredible director and perhaps one of the great, living genuine film auteurs."

"It felt like being part of movie history, dare I say!"
http://www.alienprequelnews.com/2011/10/ridley-scott-had-security-guards-on-set.html

Rafe Spall said:
In this interview Spall confirms, like many actors before him, that Prometheus is very much part of the 'Alien' universe.
"[Ridley Scott] directed the first Alien, and this is... I've been sent an e-mail about what I'm allowed to say and what I'm not allowed to say and I haven't read the e-mail. (laughs).
It's out next June, and it's part of the Alien franchise. I'm in it, and Charlize Theron, Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender.
I think fans of the franchise will love it. Alien is one of the best films ever made, and it's a real buzz to be in a space suit on an 'Alien' set with Ridley Scott coming and speaking to you.
It's incredible. That's why I wanted to be an actor, to be in a space suit on an 'Alien' set."

The interview then moves on to all the secrecy surrounding Prometheus. BBC presenter Tim Lovejoy points out that there are no trailers yet, and asks Rafe Spall if he has seen anything yet:
"I've seen nothing. Really, they keep it all under closed wraps and don't let anyone see anything [...] There's a few bits and pieces (referring to the leaked stills and images), but they want to keep it secret. They're very protective of it."
http://www.alienprequelnews.com/2011/10/rafe-spall-prometheus-is-part-of-alien.html

Is he taking his duties very lightly or is it just me?...

Also one OMG 'casting' role that will surely likely spoil a bit (though I think 80% of this thread readers expected something like this) : link

Also: Post Production apparently started around August 11th but it's unclear if all the shooting was done at that time.

FoneBone

Genesis Knight said:
That interview seems to indicate that the whole 'not really an aliens movie' line coming out of the marketing dept. is just a smokescreen.
It obviously is at this point, but I don't understand why they're hiding it.

Pctx

Banned
Scullibundo said:
What I want you to do right now is read his post again and ask yourself if he was really bashing Nolan, or maybe - just maybe you got a little sensitive to the fact that somebody voiced that they JUST MIGHT be anticipating another film more than TDKR.
Sculli <3

Man

Zeliard said:
The later Alien flicks and stuff like Alien vs. Predator shitting up the franchise probably didn't help.
Apparantly they have un-cannoned them in a smart way if my theory is correct (though I'm sure no one considered those cannon).
Weyland-Yutani is apparantly just Weyland in Prometheus. The merger hasn't happened yet. In AVP etc it was Weyland-Yutani.

Blader

FoneBone said:
It obviously is at this point, but I don't understand why they're hiding it.

Because the connections to Alien are probably a big plot development/twist in the story and they don't want to spoil it ahead of time?

though a studio not spoiling its own movie ahead of time seems even more farfetched.

Puddles

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Because the connections to Alien are probably a big plot development/twist in the story and they don't want to spoil it ahead of time?

though a studio not spoiling its own movie ahead of time seems even more farfetched.

The trailer will just give away the whole thing anyway.

Fuck, the trailer will probably show
xenomorphs

Veidt

Even if this isn't great.
It will still be great.

*headasplode.gif*

Scott talked to the WSJ's Speakeasy:
– The central metaphor of “Prometheus” is about a “higher being” who challenges the gods, and the gods don’t want to give him fire. “Fire is our first form of technology,” Scott says, and so by taking fire, the higher being is punished “in perpetuity in a horrible fashion.” Much like the story of the mythological god, Prometheus, who stole fire from Zeus and for his actions was bound to a rock with an eagle eternally devouring his liver. (Let’s hope things turn out differently for our higher being…)

– Scott is especially excited about the story of “Prometheus” — you can hear the enthusiasm in his voice when he discusses the film. The screenplay was written by Damon Lindelof and Jon Spaihts. “I think the reason why I haven’t attempted science fiction in a number of years is because I haven’t really come across a script that I really liked,” Scott says. “This developed and came out extremely well.”

– The last eight minutes of the “Prometheus” story evolve into “a pretty good DNA of the ‘Alien’ one.”

– We confirmed with 20th Century Fox that Sigourney Weaver, star of the first four “Alien” films, doesn’t make a cameo in “Prometheus.” Too bad, Ripley fans.

– Regarding the use of 3-D and CGI, Scott says he has “completely taken off into this cyberworld” and called working on”Prometheus” “the best time I’ve had in a number of years making a movie.”

– Although Scott embraced “all the tricks, the toys” of computer-generated imagery and 3-D, he says, “I’m a great believer in filming the real thing if you can and so I did a lot of building the real thing.” He used the “007&#8243; stage (more commonly known as the “Bond” stage) at Pinewood Studios in the U.K., one of the biggest stages in Europe at about 59,000 square feet. He used other stages at Pinewood too.
Also, some months ago, there were a couple pictures leaked of what was very clearly an updated version of the
Space Jockey "chair."
Linked here for the curious.

FoneBone

Blader5489 said:

That's the best explanation I can think of- that they can't reveal the Alien connections without ruining the final act... but studios are normally all about branding, so it's kind of weird.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Pure speculation based on what Ridley was quoted as saying:

One of the cast becomes the (infected) space jockey; this is the "eternal punishment" alluded to in the prometheus myth. Their demise on LV-426 will be the last 8 minutes of the film.

A description of the trailer and a snippet of very-low-quality-but-probably-legit footage are here:
http://www.prometheusmovienews.com/2011/11/part-of-the-prometheus-trailer-leaks-online/

:eek:

so damn excited. I'm really concerned I'm going to overhype this film for myself, though. The expectations are getting ridiculous.
Whenever I watch ALIEN I wish I could have been alive to go see it in the theater without knowing anything about it (like my parents did). Truly terrifying film. I hope PROMETHEUS has a similar effect. I'll be going on serious blackout after the first trailer.

Truant

I think the "leaked" plot sounds pretty legit based on what we know so far, which is great. I loved that stuff.

Veidt

Man they need to hurry up and reveal this already.
I am way too excited.

jett

D-Member
Those characters look fucking stupid. Wish they had gone with the more down to earth designs of Alien. Isn't this supposed to be a prequel, allegedly?

Sad Ripley has no involvement. I understand if it didn't make sense in the story but would have been nice to give our first action heroine a nod.

Those characters look fucking stupid. Wish they had gone with the more down to earth designs of Alien. Isn't this supposed to be a prequel, allegedly?

The people in Alien were miners. These people are probably something along the lines of a recon team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom