• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pictures look beautiful and as said before really capture the gritty yet futuristic '70s sci fi feel of the original. However, my excitement for this movie started being tempered greatly as soon as it was announced in January that Lindelof was working on the script. Why this overrated pretentious hack is immediately thought of as the first go-to person for quality sci fi now is beyond me and I was floored he was brought in. This is a Ridley Scott film in progress. A potential masterpiece. Bringing Lindelof in to work on a script or screenplay for a Scott film to me is like the head of a fine vineyard asking a Bartles & Jaymes rep to come in to advise them on how to properly age their wine. Anyways, still excited, hopefully his impact will be minimal.

Kak.efes

Agent Unknown said:
The pictures look beautiful and as said before really capture the gritty yet futuristic '70s sci fi feel of the original. However, my excitement for this movie started being tempered greatly as soon as it was announced in January that Lindelof was "tweaking" the script. Why this overratted pretentious hack is immediately thought of as the first go-to person for quality sci fi now is beyond me and I was floored he was brought in. This is a Ridley Scott film in progress. A potential masterpiece. Bringing Lindelof in to "refine" a script or screenplay for a Scott film to me is like the head of a fine vineyard asking a Bartles & Jaymes rep to come in to advise them om how to properly age their wine. Anyways, still excited, hopefully his impact will be minimal.

I literally lol'd.

Kak.efes

Agent Unknown said:
Oh gee, sorry. Was that too broad for you?

There, does that make more sense now?

Scott isn't nearly as ambitious. He's as safe a director as you'll find in hollywood today, you need only look at his track record. I think you should temper your expectations.

I agree with you Agent Unknown, regarding both Lindelof and Scott.

Kak.efes said:
Scott isn't nearly as ambitious. He's as safe a director as you'll find in hollywood today, you need only look at his track record. I think you should temper your expectations.

Well, given his sci-fi track record, my expectations are pretty high.

Fallout-NL said:
I agree with you Agent Unknown, regarding both Lindelof and Scott.

Then again for all I know maybe Lindelof did a great job and a gritty sci fi flick is exactly where his better skills can shine. He can do good, entertaining stuff when he's not being little Mr. "I'm the uber untouchable fanboy artist" shmuck. I absolutely relished it when George R. R. Martin schooled him.

Brera

Banned
Zeliard said:
Movie's got a seriously bangin' cast.

Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, Charlize Theron, Noomi Rapace, Guy Pearce

Unfortunately Pearce will probably be in it for roughly 6 minutes.

Is this true or a joke about his recent staring roles?

Why is he so wasted. He should be headlining!

Man

Ellen Ripley comments on the film:

“I actually talked to Ridley about this very idea, and I’m delighted he’s doing it. I feel it’s in good hands. It’s a wonderful franchise and if they can invigorate the creature, it could have another life,” Weaver told Outbreak Hollywood.

“When you find [the alien] in the first movie with what we call the Space Jockey, the kind of strange creature with the elephant face… anyway, the eggs were in its ship, so where do they come from? So it’s like kind of following that storyline with, I hope, another great ensemble.”

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/sigourney-weaver-talks-ridley-scott-s-prometheus

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
My body is so fucking ready for a teaser man. This shit is way overdue.

Man

Brera said:
Is this true or a joke about his recent staring roles?
Why is he so wasted. He should be headlining!
Unfortunately it is confirmed that he has no pivotal role in Prometheus.
He described his role as 'tiny' so not part of the main crew then me thinks (probably some bigwig in human territory).

Mlatador

Banned
Liquidsnake said:
Can someone explain to me how a man of Ridley Scott's stature still gets pushed around by studios???

Why can't they trust him with his vision? PG-13 rating is disappointing.

So true... the PG 13 really doesn't sound that good.

I wish he could do whatever he wants. Would be a way to get me to the cinema again (last good movie I saw there was inception...).

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Stringer Bell, Magneto, and the Aeon Flux chick in space fighting Aliens in suits. I am getting excited, Ridley, despite the PG-13 rating. Never thought I would say that.

jett

D-Member
Discotheque said:
Ridley Scott is Fox's bitch. James Cameron should really help him out or something and get the dude the R rating he deserves.

Ridley Scott is his own bitch. If he really wanted an R rating he would get it. It's all about dat cash potential.

Never mind that, he's still Fox's bitch for not getting director's cut in theaters. I bet you Rothman will be hovering over his ass in the editing room.

jett

D-Member
Discotheque said:
Never mind that, he's still Fox's bitch for not getting director's cut in theaters. I bet you Rothman will be hovering over his ass in the editing room.

All of his movies are produced under his own Scott Free banner. He releases/makes PG-13 movies because he wants to.

Man

Didn't know there actually existed a Facebook page for this film:
https://www.facebook.com/Prometheus?sk=wall

Also, plot synopsis:

Ridley Scott, director of “Alien” and “Blade Runner,” returns to the genre he helped define. With PROMETHEUS, he creates a groundbreaking mythology, in which a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

http://www.cinemaspy.com/movie-news/prometheus-to-take-us-to-the-edge-of-history-10252/

interview with Patrick Wilson, who basically gushes about the script

'Prometheus' Will Blow Your Mind, Says Patrick Wilson

"I was blown away by [the script] and I don’t use that sort of phrase a lot, but I was blown away by it, so excited that I wanted to read it again. I just kept re-reading it, even though I knew what was coming. And put it this way, I’ve never done this, I've never finished the shooting on a movie, and then on the ride home read the script again. I had no reason to read it, it was not work-oriented, I just really loved it, it’s so cool."

"As you can imagine, [the film] is very wonderfully exiting, and yet so complicated and layered, which to me is what science fiction is all about, when it operates on many, many levels."

TheJollyCorner said:
something really strange about the figure in this screen...

AbHe0.jpg

the legs are creeping me out.

Looks like the female is facing forward and falling to her knees. I don't see anything to odd about it.

staticneuron said:
Looks like the female is facing forward and falling to her knees. I don't see anything to odd about it.

Her legs are pointed in unusual directions which gives the appearance her legs are not fully human. It could be shadows playing tricks but I can see how it might seem off.

Veidt

The reason I posted those shots:
Ridley Scott headed the blu-rayification of all of those films.
That's why.. ( and also because I have yet to rip ALIEN, arguably the better film)
But, I can post ALIEN shots too. If y'all want it.

Veidt said:
The reason I posted those shots:
Ridley Scott headed the blu-rayification of all of those films.
That's why..
But, I can post ALIEN shots too. If y'all want it.

Did he? I thought he headed up Alien, James Cameron headed up Aliens, David Fincher said "screw you guys, fox is terrible" and the guy from 4 didn't really care about it at all.

Pctx

Banned
I continue to be impressed by the progress they are making with this film. Dare I say.... more so than the Nolan's film due out next summer too.

Veidt

Yea. Scott was the man here, at least that's what I heard.
And I don't see a letter written for the fans by JC or Fincher in my blu-ray box either.
Scott took the time putting the whole thing together, and wrote us a nice letter as a fan service.
Pctx said:
I continue to be impressed by the progress they are making with this film. Dare I say.... more so than the Nolan's film due out next summer too.
Prometheus > everything coming out that year. Except for Hobbit.

Veidt said:
And I don't see a letter written for the fans by JC or Fincher in my blu-ray box either.
Scott took the time putting the whole thing together, and wrote us a nice letter as a fan service.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5007

blu-ray.com said:
During an interview to promote the Avatar theatrical re-release, director James Cameron also mentioned that he had just done "a complete remaster of Aliens" (included in the Alien Anthology scheduled for Blu-ray release on October 26), working with the same colorist with whom he had worked on Avatar. In what is sure to ignite some controversy, Cameron said he had completely removed all noise and grain from the extended version of the film.

And you'll never see a letter from Fincher. He pretty much disowned Alien 3 because of the way he was treated by fox during the filming process.

Veidt

Yea. I have still yet to watch the extras...and there are lots of them.
Planning on getting to that this weekend.
Buy this blu-ray yo.

Nappuccino said:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5007

And you'll never see a letter from Fincher. He pretty much disowned Alien 3 because of the way he was treated by fox during the filming process.

I'd love to see a list of all the big time studio fuck ups. Times when the studio gave the director a list of restrictions and said "You can make any movie as long as it looks like this."

Joss Wheddon and Buffy The Vampire Slayer comes to mind. I guess I should be grateful. Because of that screw up we got a kickass (most of the time) seven seasons of a highly entertaining TV show.

Teh Hamburglar said:
I'd love to see a list of all the big time studio fuck ups. Times when the studio gave the director a list of restrictions and said "You can make any movie as long as it looks like this."

Joss Wheddon and Buffy The Vampire Slayer comes to mind. I guess I should be grateful. Because of that screw up we got a kickass (most of the time) seven seasons of a highly entertaining TV show.

Part of the problem with 3 is that they didn't even have a script. It was in constant re-writes up to the point filming started and it stayed in re-writes the whole time.

I havent been following this at all and im curious how a prequel could work. I suppose this movie will follow the crew and vessel that sends the distress call out in the first film?

Veidt said:

The hell are you talking about? It's well known that Cameron oversaw the remaster of Aliens. Ridley wouldn't put in that blue!

Pctx said:
I love how Nolan bashing somehow creeps into every movie thread.

jett

D-Member
Scullibundo said:
The hell are you talking about? It's well known that Cameron oversaw the remaster of Aliens. Ridley wouldn't put in that blue!

Yes...Ridley only puts blue in his own movies. :p

BertramCooper said:
I love how Nolan bashing somehow creeps into every movie thread.

What I want you to do right now is read his post again and ask yourself if he was really bashing Nolan, or maybe - just maybe you got a little sensitive to the fact that somebody voiced that they JUST MIGHT be anticipating another film more than TDKR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom