• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U- Backwards Combatability

Satchel

Banned
Cool idea, but probably not worth the time and effort.

I only care about 2 things on WiiU, one of which Nintendo won't do, one they MIGHT:

1) Make sure my Wii saves and VC/WiiWare games transfer across on SD card

2) Give Wii games the Dolphin treatment

If the WiiU can do that, the WiiU could become my main console next gen.

Theonik

Software for most things on the Wii is on he games themselves so it is very likely that Nintendo's implementation would lock you to Wii stuff when in BC mode like they did with NGC BC.
Ignoring any weird implementation Nintendo may have for Wii BC on WiiU it should be possible to to it, they have a sensor bar on the tablet and all they'd need is a stand.

no Wii mote+ games im sure but somthing that just use the pointer can use touch screen maybe ;/ not going to get 100% anyway

I hope they do HD remakes with waggle motions mapped to the controller. Yeah it would be great if they could up res and map the waggle, but realistically none of this will happen, and Dolphin will be the only way to play DKCR/MG.
Wii U Pad has an accelorometer and gyro in it, waggle could still be done as is.

Medalion

Banned
Cool idea, but probably not worth the time and effort.

I only care about 2 things on WiiU, one of which Nintendo won't do, one they MIGHT:

1) Make sure my Wii saves and VC/WiiWare games transfer across on SD card

2) Give Wii games the Dolphin treatment

If the WiiU can do that, the WiiU could become my main console next gen.
Can gurantee you, Wii-U will not do what Dolphin does, but maybe something similar but a lesser version... Dolphin has to emulate and re-render/upscale... the Wii-U could try upconversion which is different

Unai

Well, I think that al least the games that use the gamecube or classic controller would benefit a lot from this. Resident Evil Remake would be much more beautiful in a 480p small screen.

MoogPaul

People asking for rerenders must be on awesome drugs that I wish I had.
Upscale with AA would be the best we get.

Rhod

We already know that you will be able to aim Wiimotes at the Wii U screen:

F9tSW.jpg

BTW that's using the gyro in the wii remote and custombluetooth to the system to get the swing. The Wii controller never sees the WiiU controller, but it knows when it's pointed downwards. Far more reliable to use the gyro than to wait for sensor bar lights, as you'd end up with the ball getting hit whenever you pointed the remote at a window/light socket.

Satchel

Banned
Can gurantee you, Wii-U will not do what Dolphin does, but maybe something similar but a lesser version... Dolphin has to emulate and re-render/upscale... the Wii-U could try upconversion which is different

As I said, one of which I know Nintendo won't do.

sfried

They are being internally rendered at a higher resolution.

Unlike all the other BC methods on consoles, Xbox 360 actually is fully software emulating them, much like a Dolphin or PCSX2 would.

The trade off is that not all games work, and some games run better than others, etc.
Is it possible use use partial software emulation alongside actual Wii hardware process emulation to achieve something like game upscaling?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I think this would be better suited and more likely for the GC games. It would be nice to use it for Wii games too though.

Doesn't the Wii U controller need to be within a few feet of the WiiU to be able to stream video from the system?

If you're that close to the system, why not just play on the tv?

Why on earth would you want to play a wii game on a 6" screen?

Truth101

Banned
Doesn't the Wii U controller need to be within a few feet of the WiiU to be able to stream video from the system?

It needs to be able to establish a signal. as long as it can get a signal it can be used in different rooms ect...

Medalion

Banned

This was addressed at E3, this thing has a decent range in the house but it can't be used like a portable gaming system

fernoca

I expect no backward compatibility and to be region locked.This is Nintendo we're talking about.
Region lock is a no-brainer since their consoles are and their latest handhelds are too.
Backward compatibility was confirmed at E3. Same way (so far) as the Wii handles GameCube's: it turns into a Wii and there. No 1080p, just a Wii inside a Wii U.

WiiU is Voldo confirmed
Backwards combatability as its finest:
zhBpY.jpg

alf717

I wonder if Nintendo would made HD versions of Wii games like how they were making GC titles with Wii controls. Would be nice to see the VC titles update with GC titles but given their track record with slow release it will be a painful wait for a lot of the good titles.

IrishNinja

i know this is the wrong thread for me to say im still salty about no gamecube BC, but i'm sayin' it anyway.
such bullshit, nintendo. it's the best console you made since the SNES, and you've prolly got all the bits in there somewhere anyway.

i know this is the wrong thread for me to say im still salty about no gamecube BC, but i'm sayin' it anyway.
such bullshit, nintendo. it's the best console you made since the SNES, and you've prolly got all the bits in there somewhere anyway.

Get over it. It is unreasonable to expect companies to offer BC with an 11 year old system.

PokéKong

There are only a handful of Wii games that would be practical to play on the screen, what would be the point of having a little handheld screen if you're just going to still be wagglin and pointing at it? I wouldn't be into it for the most part unless they enabled the touch screen to substitute IR pointing, which I'm not even sure is possible. Relative movement and absolute positioning can almost never mix well.

But if they could figure out how to pull it off, it would revolutionize the way many already existing games would play. Sin & Punishment would definitely become easier.

Medalion

Banned
Once again, people miss the point of what Wii-U is... it is an actual console that hooks up to your regular TV, the Wii-U tablet is not a substitute, it is an added screen for functions for games to take advantage of and has limited ability to stream the game to the tablet but it's not the main point of it

DarkPanda

BTW that's using the gyro in the wii remote and custombluetooth to the system to get the swing. The Wii controller never sees the WiiU controller, but it knows when it's pointed downwards. Far more reliable to use the gyro than to wait for sensor bar lights, as you'd end up with the ball getting hit whenever you pointed the remote at a window/light socket.

False! The Wii-U controller contains an integrated sensor bar (that's what the strip along the top is). Thus, as long as you're the necessary distance away from it, the controller will almost perfectly mimic a small TV + Wii set up.

BC and BC flexibility depends not so much on technical limitation as it does on what Nintendo decides to let and not let you do on its new hardware.

IrishNinja

Get over it. It is unreasonable to expect companies to offer BC with an 11 year old system.

bullshit.
there's no reason to not continue the legacy of an amazing library you built prior, specifically when the hardware is so similar - if it can play Wii games, it'd not be much to play GC ones. id pay a high price for a USB GC controller adapter or whatever.
i'll still likely buy the HD remakes if and when they come, but cheering this kinda thing on as a consumer is nonsense.

Gaogaogao

if you need to use a separate controller and sensor bar, it defeats the purpose. unless your tv is complete shit, use your tv.

mdtauk

The Wii can play GameCube games because it contains the basics of the GameCube hardware, and the ports.

When it comes to the WiiU it would be much more impractical to add the basics of Wii AND GCN hardware, as well as all the new bits for the WiiU hardware.

Also I think GC games as downloads would be cool, while emulating them. It may even lead to rendering them at HD resolutions.

Medalion

Banned
The basic idea of Wii-U is to center around the fact it has this streaming tablet, HD capable system, and for it to be priced competitively against the other existing HD systems... so you are asking for way too much unless you want that price to keep going up

Anth0ny

bullshit.
there's no reason to not continue the legacy of an amazing library you built prior, specifically when the hardware is so similar - if it can play Wii games, it'd not be much to play GC ones. id pay a high price for a USB GC controller adapter or whatever.
i'll still likely buy the HD remakes if and when they come, but cheering this kinda thing on as a consumer is nonsense.

You need to look at it from a business perspective. GC is officially Virtual Console territory when Wii U drops. We
FUCKING BETTER
will be seeing HD remakes of GC games, and those aren't going to sell if you could just pick up the game for $5 at Gamestop and play them via GC BC.

But there god damn better be a USB GC controller. Please based Markman!

batbeg

Maybe so.

I wonder if they can get around that by adjusting the size of the sensor bar, though....?

At my old house we used candles for a sensor bar, and it was easy to adjust the sensitivity of the pointer via the length of the two candles. So I'd assume this is not a problem.

Luigiv

Region lock is a no-brainer since their consoles are and their latest handhelds are too.
Backward compatibility was confirmed at E3. Same way (so far) as the Wii handles GameCube's: it turns into a Wii and there. No 1080p, just a Wii inside a Wii U.

Actually I'd argue that the opposite is more likely. In order to hardware emulate the Wii, the Wii U would need to have Hollywood embedded into it. On top of that, a hardware sandbox mode would mean, that whilst running Wii code, the system would only be as secure as the Wii was, making the system much easier to hack.

Chances are the Wii U will do what the 3DS does and use partial software emulation. Since there won't be any hardware incompatibilities, it'll actually be fairly cheap to run and should have 100% compatibility. On top of that it allows Nintendo to run extra software and hardware in the background, such as additional security features or CC emulation on the Umote.

That being said, even with software emulation, Nintendo will be aiming for 100% compatibility as cheaply as possible. That means 1:1 emulation without any, potential glitch inducing, hacks such as higher resolution rendering. Nintendo isn't going to spend thousands of hours optimising the emulator for every single game the same way the dolphin community has.

They should definitely have a SNES &NES slot too. What assholes.

Theonik

They should definitely have a SNES &NES slot too. What assholes.
Eh, unlike the SNES/NES there are very little reasons not to. Wii emulation means that Gamecube wouldn't be too hard to implement and the controller ports could have very easily been emulated on the classic pro or they could make an accessory if they wished. Memory cards could be virtual ones on the WiiU like PS3 does for PS1/2 games. Only real issue I see is Nintendo wanting to avoid paying for a dual diameter drive like in the Wii or a weird BC implementation like on the Wii.
Either way it is disappointing, but that's not the topic of this thread so it would be best not to continue such discussion in here.

FyreWulff

No need to worry. It's nintendo, so kiss them goodbye.

Good thing I can still download all my purchased content for the original Xbox.

bullshit.

Yes there is. They don't have to keep manufacturing GameCube components, controllers, and support it anymore. As soon as the new Wii came out, all my local Gamestops dropped the GameCube section like a hot rock - besides the fact that they had all been picked clean of all the good games at this point. The GameCube as a system is dead, and it had a nice little extended run as a vestigial organ inside the Wii. If they turned off backwards compatibility on your system halfway through it's run, I could see booing it - but hell yeah I"m going to cheer removing unnecessary costs from a system to play games I can already play.

Top Bottom