• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U- Backwards Combatability

dwu8991

Banned
As we all know the Wii U can play Wii games on the console.

But how awesome would it be if you could play the same wii games on the wii U screen!

I actually think its very possible as there are no obvious reasons why it wouldn't work.

Nintendo, has made DS games compatible on the 3DS without no problems.

And get this, if Nintendo figures a way to get two Wii U screens working, then there is the possibility of Playing Donkey Kong Country Returns with each player having their own screen !(game will still remain the same).

Am I getting to far ahead of myself or just wishful thinking ?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think it's possible... the Wii U controller has a sensor bar built right in, doesn't it?

Might be awkward to use... but I bet we'll see it.

BocoDragon

Sure it's possible, but how would most games work that use waggle? Does it have a stand?

That's really the only hurdle and it's easily overcome. I bet Nintendo is thinking about things like this.

How would you play without a Wii remote?

You wouldn't... but Wii U will support Wii remotes, so.....

"How do you play Gamecube games on Wii without a Gamecube controller?" Same question.

I think the best you can hope for is "Wii-U Play" version of Wii games.

Just like how the Wii had gamecube games remade with Wii controls (Metroid 1+2, Pikmin), Wii games could be remade to have Wii-U features.

Mike M

Nick N
Might be possible, but I don't think it's possible to come up with a work around for waggle and pointer controls that wouldn't be mediocre at best.

goldenpp72

It would be a fun idea that I don't think would work well without Nintendo releasing new versions of it unfortunately.

Deadstar

It seems like it's something that could be done but I'd rather have the Wii-U be able to up res. If Dolphin can up res Wii games, why can't the Wii-U? Maybe they'd rather sell "HD" versions rather than give this option for free.

BocoDragon

We already know that you will be able to aim Wiimotes at the Wii U screen:

F9tSW.jpg

We already know that Wii U will play Wii games.

We already know that Wii U will let you play Wii U games on the Wii U screen-controller.

...ergo, I think this is very likely to happen, even if its a pretty niche concern.

Problem is that you need to be a good 3 or 4 feet from the sensor bar to work properly.

Being 3 or 4 feet away from a screen this small might be hard to play on.

Answer: You would use a Wii Remote (or Classic Controller controls).

I know they won't, but I wish they'd go Dolphin and output Wii games optionally at 1080p (with a warning that this might cause unexpected visual issues, and some tweaks on a per-game basis, similar to how Dolphin uses different configs for maximum compatibility.) I've heard the explanation that they're probably just going to reuse the actual Wii chips for maximum BC, and there's no way to adjust them to increase the native resolution, but I think Nintendo could figure out some way to pull it off if they wanted to. But they won't, of course.

It's just disappointing that my Wii games will look better on a nice PC than they will on the next generation Nintendo console.

BocoDragon

Problem is that you need to be a good 3 or 4 feet from the sensor bar to work properly.

Being 3 or 4 feet away from a screen this small might be hard to play on.

Good point.

But sitting far back from a tiny screen is a good way to make 480P manageable in 2012 :p

I know they won't, but I wish they'd go Dolphin and output Wii games optionally at 1080p (with a warning that this might cause unexpected visual issues, and some tweaks on a per-game basis, similar to how Dolphin uses different configs for maximum compatibility.) I've heard the explanation that they're probably just going to reuse the actual Wii chips for maximum BC, and there's no way to adjust them to increase the native resolution, but I think Nintendo could figure out some way to pull it off if they wanted to. But they won't, of course.

It's just disappointing that my Wii games will look better on a nice PC than they will on the next generation Nintendo console.

There's no precedent for this. PS2 games aren't rendered in a higher resolution on the PS3 and Xbox games aren't rendered in a higher resolution on the 360 so there's no reason to expect them to do this.

dwu8991

Banned

You wouldn't need the Wii Remote.

You just use the controls on the tablet!

Hmm, on second thoughts it might not work that well considering how the wii u controls are mapped so differently. I'm thinking mainly the plus button.

But for games that use a gamecube or classic control setup, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Actually they are in the case of 360, depending on the game. That was a full emulation of the OG Xbox, though, and I would NOT expect it from Wii U.

Edit: Saw the link posted above. Are these actually being internally rendered at a higher resolution or is it just being upscaled with a layer of anti-aliasing run on top?

Goody

The only thing I'm really concerned about it all my WiiWare and Virtual Console purchases transferring over.

Trying to think of a reason I would want to do this outside of games that uses classic controls like Smash. I mean, it sounds cool, but not very functional in application and just a good bullet point. An original title that was designed around it might work, but not straight wii games. Generally speaking.

The only thing I'm really concerned about it all my WiiWare and Virtual Console purchases transferring over.

No need to worry. It's nintendo, so kiss them goodbye.

BurntPork

Banned
It seems like it's something that could be done but I'd rather have the Wii-U be able to up res. If Dolphin can up res Wii games, why can't the Wii-U? Maybe they'd rather sell "HD" versions rather than give this option for free.

It would actually take quite a bit of work to do that, since they would need to optimize the emulator for every game individually. Software emulation doesn't always work as intended if the proper work isn't put in. Hardware emulation is much more reliable, since everything works out of the box with no issues.

BocoDragon

Edit: Saw the link posted above. Are these actually being internally rendered at a higher resolution or is it just being upscaled with a layer of anti-aliasing run on top?

They are being internally rendered at a higher resolution.

Unlike all the other BC methods on consoles, Xbox 360 actually is fully software emulating them, much like a Dolphin or PCSX2 would.

The trade off is that not all games work, and some games run better than others, etc.

Randomizer

Answer: You would use a Wii Remote (or Classic Controller controls).

Wouldn't people prefer to just play on a TV instead? Playing on a small mounted screen sounds pretty pointless to me. The idea of using it as a fully portable tablet is appealing but unless they mapped the waggle to buttons I can't see how it would work with most games.

I also think it would be possible for Nintendo to create an HD Wii emulator for the Wii U. If a bunch or hobbyists in their spare time can pull it off I'm pretty sure the company who designed the console and have billions of dollars at their disposal can. But I really can't see them putting in the effort unfortunately. Also those HD Mario and Zelda collections would be easy money that they really wouldn't want to be missing out on.

You wouldn't need the Wii Remote.

You just use the controls on the tablet!

Hmm, on second thoughts it might not work that well considering how the wii u controls are mapped so differently. I'm thinking mainly the plus button.

But for games that use a gamecube or classic control setup, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Yeah it would only really work for games that use the CC and GC pad. It would also be impossible for games using Wii motion plus.

The games are re-rendered. It was actually necessary because of the switch from Intel/ Nvidia to IBM/ATi.

Edit: Beaten

Wii game on the tablet sounds possible. Multiplayer using both the tablet screen and the TV would probably need to be coded into the game.

BocoDragon

Welp, guess I've been proven wrong.

Nintendo will never bother with that though. It's very un-Nintendo to deal with emulators for a recent gen. They'd probably rather just slap some physical Wii circuitry in there, play 100% of games, and offer no visual upgrade whatsoever.

There is almost zero chance of that not happening. You can transfer over your DSiWare games to your 3DS. No reason why you wouldn't be able to transfer your Wii Ware and VC games over to the Wii U.

BurntPork

Banned
Trying to think of a reason I would want to do this outside of games that uses classic controls like Smash. I mean, it sounds cool, but not very functional in application and just a good bullet point. An original title that was designed around it might work, but not straight wii games. Generally speaking.

No need to worry. It's nintendo, so kiss them goodbye.

Yep, just like with 3DS.

Oh, wait.

AzaK

Wouldn't you have to stand so far back for the Wii Mote/LED's to work that you could hardly see a 6.2" screen?

BocoDragon

Wouldn't you have to stand so far back for the Wii Mote/LED's to work that you could hardly see a 6.2" screen?

Maybe so.

I wonder if they can get around that by adjusting the size of the sensor bar, though....?

Randomizer

Nintendo will never bother with that though. It's very un-Nintendo to deal with emulators for a recent gen. They'd probably rather just slap some physical Wii circuitry in there, play 100% of games, and offer no visual upgrade whatsoever.

Not that this practice should be frowned upon. It's probably better to have 100% emulation than trying to improve the graphics and cause a slew of compatibility issues and graphically errors in a lot of games. Of course the best solution would be to have a team dedicated to maintaining an emulator and making improvements and fixing issues with weekly updates but that would never happen.

dwu8991

Banned
So the Wii U has the same controls as the classic controller just as I thought.
This is from 1UP, so it looks like it will work 100% on the Wii U screen!

"While Wii U is compatible with all current Wii peripherals including the classic controller and the balance board, and is backwards compatible with all Wii games, the main draw of the system is its tablet controller sporting a 6.2 inch 16x9 touch screen. Powered by a rechargeable battery, the device streams visual information from the Wii U unit wirelessly. All the actual processing is done in the console itself; the controller is just a display. The buttons are ripped straight from the classic controller: Two analog sticks, L and R triggers in addition to ZL and ZR, dual analog sticks, a d-pad and face buttons are all included. The device also features a microphone, gyroscope, accelerometer, rumble, camera, and a stylus."

So who wants to play Xenoblade, Sin + Punishment 2, Mario Kart Wii in bed?

I really hope Wii U at least can improve on the Wii experience. Obviously not Dolphin quality, but at least like the PS3 (before BC went bye-bye). Sony systems have always been good at making the previous generation's games slightly better.

Also hoping there is someway to transfer locked saves and virtual console games. Non-locked saves aren't a problem, but I ain't unlocking all that SSBB stuff again.

BocoDragon

So the Wii U has the same controls as the classic controller just as I thought.
This is from 1UP, so it looks like it will work 100% on the Wii U screen!

"While Wii U is compatible with all current Wii peripherals including the classic controller and the balance board, and is backwards compatible with all Wii games, the main draw of the system is its tablet controller sporting a 6.2 inch 16x9 touch screen. Powered by a rechargeable battery, the device streams visual information from the Wii U unit wirelessly. All the actual processing is done in the console itself; the controller is just a display. The buttons are ripped straight from the classic controller: Two analog sticks, L and R triggers in addition to ZL and ZR, dual analog sticks, a d-pad and face buttons are all included. The device also features a microphone, gyroscope, accelerometer, rumble, camera, and a stylus."

So who wants to play Xenoblade, Sin + Punishment 2, Mario Kart Wii in bed?

Nah... but Muramasa on the toilet? Yes please!

Rhod

The WiiU's ability (presumed) to let me play all of my VC games on the controller screen (which is likely 480, so it'll be native res/direct multiple) is one of the best things about it. It's a new, semi-portable SNES in my living room that I can play anytime.

It will make the DSi XL somewhat less amazing/necessary.

(this has to happen, it's the perfect way for Nintendo to ensure that even with HDTVs everywhere, the SD TV on which so many of their finest games look best are preserved for all).

I don't think the Wii U is capable of combating you... or maybe that's Nintendo's plan all along!!! Total domination of your living room by engaging you into combat silently!

OT: Wii U- Backwards Combatability

I don't think it'll happen (at least for Wii/WiiWare, but VC is probably likely) but if they did, maybe pointer controls could be emulated via touchscreen?

Jtrizzy

I hope they do HD remakes with waggle motions mapped to the controller. Yeah it would be great if they could up res and map the waggle, but realistically none of this will happen, and Dolphin will be the only way to play DKCR/MG.

udivision

We already know that you will be able to aim Wiimotes at the Wii U screen:

F9tSW.jpg

We already know that Wii U will play Wii games.

We already know that Wii U will let you play Wii U games on the Wii U screen-controller.

...ergo, I think this is very likely to happen, even if its a pretty niche concern.

What's that from?

Top Bottom