• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are All 360 Games Going to Require a Hard Drive soon? I can see it coming

soul creator said:
how is the HDD on the 360 a waste? It still has a ton of support, some of which didn't exist on the original Xbox (microtransactions! hah). "HDD on X360 will become a waste, much like PS2's HDD" is a bit of a weird statement, since there was more HDD support on the 360 on day one compared to the 2 1/2 years on PS2, which consisted of FFXI, quicker loads in RE Outbreak...and Socom maps? I think...I don't remember if they ultimately came out or not, lol.
No, I KNOW its a success on X360.

But I'm talking about, Will games require HDD's power? Yes, it has to, otherwise it will become a waste. Sure you got Marketplace, you got XBLArcade, but there needs to be more reasons than those two, such as faster load times, more characters, more levels, and so on and on.

You know, there are some people in the world right now, standing back, saying "hey, is there any reason for having a HDD on this machine?" The next person is going to argue points, and sometimes, people will just ignore the facts instead of giving it a try.

Speevy

Banned
Developers have already used it several times. All MS has to do is include it (a version of it) in every system.

Bebpo

Banned
ralexand said:
So has anyone confirmed that a harddrive is required by trying to play the game without one?

That would require me taking my system out of the closet, hooking up wires, and turning it on. What do you think I am? Made out of time?!!

Nintendo X said:
No, I KNOW its a success on X360.

But I'm talking about, Will games require HDD's power? Yes, it has to, otherwise it will become a waste. Sure you got Marketplace, you got XBLArcade, but there needs to be more reasons than those two, such as faster load times, more characters, more levels, and so on and on.

You know, there are some people in the world right now, standing back, saying "hey, is there any reason for having a HDD on this machine?" The next person is going to argue points, and sometimes, people will just ignore the facts instead of giving it a try.

that's kind of the thing though...developers had 4 years with the original Xbox, and while it was obviously great to have, was there necessarily something that could only be done on the Xbox due to it's hard drive? All the examples I would've mentioned a couple years ago were probably the big Western RPG's like Morrowind and KOTOR. Oblivion already works on a Core 360, and Mass Effect is still currently a 360 exclusive, so it hasn't seemed to hurt them *too* bad. The biggest use of the hard drive in 4 years of Xbox was basically having a big ass memory card, and that advantage is still there if you want it. Yeah you lose out on a guaranteed help for load times, but I haven't seen games dramatically altered due to a lack of a hard drive (not including MMO's for obvious reasons). I guess we shall see if that holds up.

And maybe I'm reading it wrong, but if games end up not using the "HDD power" and the hard drive is somehow considered a waste, then wouldn't that be a point in favor of MS making it optional? :p

Russ

Banned
Bebpo said:
That would require me taking my system out of the closet, hooking up wires, and turning it on. What do you think I am? Made out of time?!!

I never understood why you bought a 360, you seem to have hated it from the get go. Was it for the shock value, being in Japan and all? :D

johns all like said:
X360: 299(SYSTEM)+100 (HDD)=399
PS3: 499(System w/ hdd and no hd output)= 499

Not just that.
X360: $299(SYSTEM)+$100 (HDD) + $100(HD-DVD) = $499

and you have 3 pieces: 1 brick-size adapter + 1 HD-DVD drive + 1 System

By the way, $499 PS3 does have hd output, i doesn't have HDMI.

acousticvan said:
Not just that.

X360 in late 2007 with GTA: $199-$249(SYSTEM) + $20-$25(64MB memory card) + $60(GTA) = $280-$335

PS3 in late 2007 with GTA: possibly $399-$499(SYSTEM) + $60(GTA) = $459-$559

see I can twist things with equations too!

soul creator said:
X360 in late 2007 with GTA: $199-$249(SYSTEM) + $20-$25(64MB memory card) + $60(GTA) = $280-$335

PS3 in late 2007 with GTA: possibly $399-$499(SYSTEM) + $60(GTA) = $459-$559

see I can twist things with equations too!

However, mine is legit and yours is bullsh*t.

Last Hope

Well, MS is so desperate for Japanese support, Japanese developers can break rules and MS will turn a blind eye. We see how it all went down with the controller.

It used to be a joke that MS never listened to American requests but if you were Japanese, your comment/request/complaint would be sent all the way to upper management of xbox.

Bebpo said:
Because the hard drive is still removable and someone might have it out for some reason or another?
Wired controllers are removable too, but you don't see game boxes indicating they're required to play. If every single Xbox 360 sold in the country has a hard drive, there's no reason to indicate that the hard drive is required. Why would you even remove it ever?

ram

Spencerr said:
What's the first, FFXI? If so that doesn't really count.

Besides, who in their right mind bought the core? (And hasn't gotten a hard drive?0

football manager 2006 from sega - which wasnt released in germany due to the fact, that it requires the hdd.

Matt

Last Hope said:
Well, MS is so desperate for Japanese support, Japanese developers can break rules and MS will turn a blind eye. We see how it all went down with the controller.
Well, Phantagram (who did the lion’s share of the work on N3) is Korean…

Uncle

Did Football Manager 2006 really need the HDD because the save games were so big? I remember reading so somewhere. Does anyone have the game? How big are the saves?

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
acousticvan said:

However, mine is legit and yours is bullsh*t.
If you buy consoles for movies instead of games then yeah, yours is more legit. Your reply needs more [B ], almost read past it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Nino said:
If you buy consoles for movies instead of games then yeah, yours is more legit. Your reply needs more [B ], almost read past it.

hes comparing value.

and soul creators figures dont even make sense in the context of what acousticvan was trying to prove.

1 junior member wins, 2 retards fail.

Superfrog

ram said:
football manager 2006 from sega - which wasnt released in germany due to the fact, that it requires the hdd.

This is crap. It wasn't released due to minimal sales predictions in Germany (just look at the local sales of the Championship Manager/Football Manager console versions). I was wondering why they released the PSP version, probably because there's a relatively large installed hardware base and no competition on PSP.

arne

Mark Gonzales said:
Phantagram's Ninety-Nine Nights will be the second Xbox 360 title to require the hard drive. Is this only the beginning?

I think core owners will be getting screwed eventually

http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/Games/n/nnn/

I was already gone from work so I couldn't check up on this, so sorry for the late post.

N3 will not require the HDD I'm told.

ypo

Wish Fishie boy was still here so he can point out the lie of MS and how you people are all idiots for falling for it.

on second thought...that's a terrible wish.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
The only games that will require HD are MMORPG's, imo. Microsoft may change this decision down the road if they realize that say 95% of all 360 users have hard-drives. So they might start releasing games that require a hard-drive and drop the price on that peripheral to $60 or give rebates with those with memory cards. Still, I don't see Microsoft giving up on the core.

The Core, while it makes things harder for developers, will prove to be the decision that helps to push Xbox 360 sales to either split or surpass PS3 in certain markets. This holiday season, you've got lots of mom and pops who see Madden and Gears of War on shelves and have kids asking for a next-gen console. They won't be able to get that PS3 due to supply contraints, but that $299 Xbox 360 plus Madden and Gears or Viva Pinata might look awfully tempting. Microsoft will hold this huge advantage, imo, throughout the life of both systems because of the existence of the core. The PS2 didn't have a hard-drive versus the Xbox and it didn't hurt it at all. The 360 is already getting *great* software support and it's built an incredible online platform. The 360 snowball is going to keep getting bigger and bigger as it gains momentum and sales in the west prove too good for any 3rd party to ignore.

Bebpo

Banned
Russ said:
I never understood why you bought a 360, you seem to have hated it from the get go. Was it for the shock value, being in Japan and all? :D

Ummm, my US X360 is pretty much my favorite console atm. I absolutely love the hardware and most of the games on it (some of my highest scoring reviews this year have been X360 games). Are you thinking of someone else?

With N3, I was refering to my Japanese X360, which spends most of its time in the closet due to the "1 game ever 3-5 months" Japan exclusive release list.

quetz67

Banned
acousticvan said:
Not just that.

Still people believe the HD-DVD drive will be $100 ???

Top Bottom