• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Introducing Xbox Game Pass Core, Coming This September

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is a smart move.

However, there needs to be a better upper tier. I've been saying this for years, but we need a Gamepass Platinum or Gamespass Gods tier. A tier that gives you access to every game on the Xbox store for a flat fee.
Considering the licensing cost to do so, this would be outrageously expensive to the end user. Something to the tune of a few thousand dollars per month.

Robochobo

We all know what's going to happen. In a year they'll retire 'core' cause everyone are on 'console' or 'PC' - and then they bump up the subscription fee.

What they should've done: Bumped up GwG with monthly quality games - but that doesn't fit in to their big rentpass future.
If you were ever subscribed to GwG or PS+ you were doing that anyway. Once you stopped paying you lost access to those "free" games they gave out. What's your point? Besides the game list they have is significantly better than the past year of GwG offerings.

LoveCake

Why don't they just drop EA access and cut the price?
I upgraded my previous Gold for two and a half years for that upgrade to Ultimate for £1 and it runs out in a couple of months, I don't think I will bother with gamepass, the games I get with PSN+ are far superior, there isn't anything I want to play on Xbox.

Ozriel

M$FT
It’s the only model that’s been proven to work throughout the decades… Make quality full priced games, people buy them. Repeat.

The simplicity and genuineness of it all is beautiful

That’s also how you get the best quality games. Not via a subscription service.

Subscription services are completely optional. You can easily get your content at retail

MS buys big publishers and they want you to rent their games. If you want to own your games and play them online you have to pay more now - because MS really needs you to take the next step and submit to a future of renting games.

Online gaming has been a paid service on console for over a decade now. And games are also sold at retail.

Perhaps more time thinking these things through before posting?

TheUsual

Gold Member
Considering the licensing cost to do so, this would be outrageously expensive to the end user. Something to the tune of a few thousand dollars per month.
And good luck getting developers to sign on to something like this.
We will not get the quality of titles that we want long term and Microsoft will only subsidize the cost for so long.

ByWatterson

Curious to see what the 25 games are.

See, this is why I'll jump at this, though. I mostly play Age of Empires, Halo Infinite, MCC, and Skyrim. I'm just going to buy those, then whatever else is just gravy.

For back catalogue, PS+ Extra has better stuff right now.

//DEVIL//

Sticking with GPU because I do game on Xbox and PC.
How does that work ? I want my son to play on Xbox and I am on pc. Obviously he will use his account and I'll use mine as main.

Can we both play at the same time? If so how ? Because that might make me go ultimate

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
So is now until September the time to buy a bunch of XBL Gold and convert it to GPU while we still can?

I know it's a 3:2 ratio now, but that's still a good deal, especially if that ratio goes away after September.

ZoukGalaxy

PmzqW6X.png

• Fallout 76
Spider Man Lol GIF

RickMasters

How does that work ? I want my son to play on Xbox and I am on pc. Obviously he will use his account and I'll use mine as main.

Can we both play at the same time? If so how ? Because that might make me go ultimate
I use the same account on both. Plus you get some games on PC thats not on Xbox in GPU, like death stranding.

I think as long as he is signs into that xbox (with his profile) and your profile is on the same , it works as it always has, and he has access to everything, on the console.

Jadsey

• Among Us
  • Descenders
  • Dishonored 2
  • Doom Eternal
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout 76
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Grounded
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
  • Human Fall Flat
  • Inside
  • Ori & The Will of the Wisps
  • Psychonauts 2
  • State of Decay 2
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited

Breaking news - Phil can’t count!

oji-san

Banned
So is now until September the time to buy a bunch of XBL Gold and convert it to GPU while we still can?

I know it's a 3:2 ratio now, but that's still a good deal, especially if that ratio goes away after September.
Could be a good idea, i have an active GPU untill 1.10, can i cancel it and then add 3 years of Gold?
If so then i might do it in the end of August right before Starfield lands.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its kinda sneaky to have that big of a discount for an annual sub over a pay monthly one.

ZoukGalaxy

Laugh till you burst but the game is pretty damn good now.
Nah, that's a pure piece of shit with some people addicted to it, I know because I've played it before I stopped realizing that it will never getting better: no roadmap, no endgame (The Queen ? Earle ?.. etc LOL), legacy removed, atoms earning daily/weekly removed, Fallout FIST subscription at 15€/month, grindfest and timegate EVERYWHERE with extremely low drop rate, 1800 atoms (18$/18€) for a single power armor skin, "free" season in a PAID game forcing you to do the same task every boring day like a CHORE for miserable rewards, "expeditions" LOL (the pitt 😹), paid "private server" are just ephemeral session, no new map to explore, level scaling, PERMANENT micromanagement of your inventory and stash because of weight, you have to PAY a subscription to get unlimited scraps and ammunition storage that is a GAME CHANGER, Fasnacht/Moles Miners Hunt/Holiday scorched events every time they don't know what to do. Damn, I could give an infinite list of crap from this game.

The game is a shitfest of bugs still unresolved, worst: they keep reintroducing bug that was BEFORE solved and it happened so many time.
The game actually is THE SIM$ x FALLOUT WORLD will all the ridiculous and absurd cosmetic out of place that every player love to brag on them and in their overcrowded "camp", the game is a so poor and lame state after near 5 years.
This is not a game, this is a LOOP where you're stuck with heavy FOMO practices. There is no passion in this project, this is just a niche cash grabber for whales.

There is 2 people "working" on the game: a dev and a chief and the monkeys from the GIF below, that's it (oh no sorry, they now asked help to a third party specialized in mobiles games monetization 😹), even Project Lead Jeff Gardner left a long time ago.

Cracking Up Lol GIF
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Riky

$MSFT

Set the console on your profile as Home Xbox, then he can log in on his account and play your game library. You can also play at the same time on the same game.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Seems like a small upgrade over Gold, most people will be happy as you're getting a better selection of games.
Pretty big upgrade IMO. Descenders, Doom Eternal, Fable, Fallout 4, Gears 5, Grounded, Ori and Pyschonauts 2 are great games.

There’s room for them to rotate or add older games like Sea of Thieves too.

GWG overall was an abysmal programme with a few exceptions.

They really need to bring back the yearly price for Ultimate members though.
There was a yearly price for Ultimate?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I don't think it'll go away, they're not going to invalidate the millions of XBL codes in circulation, likely redeeming the code will just get you Core instead of what was Gold beforehand.

The conversion will also likely remain the same, since they adjusted Console and PC game pass to convert at 3 : 2 now as well.

That's just my guess though.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The monthly and yearly pricing is identical to PS+ essentials and the same pricing they've been using for years.

@ adamsapple adamsapple beat me to it and with receipts, well played adamsapple adamsapple , well played.

And?

I made an observation, that it can also be applied to PS+ also doesn't disprove or invalidate it.

It is sneaky to so heavily upsell long-term commitment to a service by making the monthly rate literally double the price.

That's some legitimately anti-consumer shit right there.

adamsapple adamsapple

Since you think my comment is lol-worthy, how about you justify the pricing of the EXACT same service with the EXACT same material cost at such disparity based on commitment time? Its not like anyone is offering a directly competing service, so you can't apply the same argument employed by, for instance, vendors of general internet services like Antivirus, VPN's, NNTP access and such?

Get off the corporate dick you goon.

Last edited:

Kilau

Crisis averted in general about a possible price hike, my tagging wasn't for calling anyone out (apologies if it felt that way), just the few prominent users I know who raised the point about the price increase in that rumor topic.

I've removed the tags from the post.
All good, I’m happy we will still have code options and now without a conversion necessary it should be interesting.

adamsapple

This new tier replaces the Gold they attempted to price increase a while back but canceled after the uproar? I wonder if they attempt again once they've rebranded and other tiers get increases.
Price increases are coming, that's just the nature of business/commerce. When? Nobody knows exactly, but it is coming. Things can't stay 9.99 or XX.XX forever.

adamsapple

Should have done this a while ago. Smart move.

It's smart to get rid of Live (and especially GWG) altogether but a part of me was thinking maybe they would just turn base GP into the basic entry level tier which includes online as well.

Ah well. They probably looked at the cost/benefit charts before making this decision.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Once again: YOU defend the pricing model.

I'm not playing ad-hominem games with you, there is a really serious point being made here.

This sort of pricing structure is the future, and its going to get more extreme over time because these services are monopolies and there's nothing to counteract the encroachment of the logic of profit-maximization.

All they need to do, and will do is continue to ratchet-up monthly sub-prices, while upselling the long-term versions by charging them at a more acceptable pro-rata. So in a few years time monthly will be $20, but yearly will be rewarded by only being $150, and if you choose the "no brainer" and sign up for 2 years it'll be a bargain $240... "an even bigger saving!"

This isn't about platform wars, its about price-rigging to lock consumers down. Are you really so dense that you cannot recognize how this impacts consumer choice?

Yes, it is a no-brainer for users to pick the cheapest option, but that isn't the same as saying this is a good thing. What if your budget doesn't stretch to stumping up for the long-term package? How's it going to feel that you need to pay inflated prices a month at a time in order not to lose access to literally everything?

That's your glorious service package future. Don't say you weren't forewarned.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It's smart to get rid of Live (and especially GWG) altogether but a part of me was thinking maybe they would just turn base GP into the basic entry level tier which includes online as well.

Ah well. They probably looked at the cost/benefit charts before making this decision.

I think this makes a lot of sense. You have base Game Pass for guys like me who don't play multiplayer, but that doesn't do a thing for MP guys. That's why XLG has been hanging around. So rebrand Gold, pull it under Game Pass, and let it sit next to base GP Console as Core with the exact same pricing structure as XLG. For those who want both, there's GPU.

Finally, throw in a library of games to somehow curtail the inevitable meltdowns that will accompany the passing of the much loved, much revered.......Game with Gold.

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Last edited:

Kilau

Have you ever heard of Bulk Buying? Costco must piss you right off then.
Not the best comparison, digital sub to a physical product, especially when that product can be purchased on sale at places other than Costco in smaller amounts for cheaper per unit cost and overall.

Kliptik81

Neo Member
So... They managed to make a a tiered subscription model more confusing and that makes less sense than Sony's? That's impressive.

At least with playstation plus you get added value at each pricing upgrade and no functionality is lost in the process...
Microsoft has always been more confusing then Sony

SONY - Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 4 Pro, Playstation 5

MICROSOFT - Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox One S, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S.

Microsoft is not good at all with making things clear to the customer.

Kliptik81

Neo Member
Honestly, it's not that complicated Tom, regular game pass is for those who don't want to play online. But what jshackles wrote above makes more sense in the long run.
Truth be told, I have ZERO desire to play games online. So the Gamepass Console is probably the best fit for me.

YCoCg

Not the best comparison, digital sub to a physical product, especially when that product can be purchased on sale at places other than Costco in smaller amounts for cheaper per unit cost and overall.
I mean you can purchase codes from other websites, some are dodgy but a good few are legit but the concept is the same, the more you buy, the more you save, it's the same on other platforms, even on Steam, where you have "bundles" that work out cheaper buying two or more games instead of buying them on their own.

Kilau

I mean you can purchase codes from other websites, some are dodgy but a good few are legit but the concept is the same, the more you buy, the more you save, it's the same on other platforms, even on Steam, where you have "bundles" that work out cheaper buying two or more games instead of buying them on their own.
Yep I’ll keep buying the keys as long as I can.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Its kinda sneaky to have that big of a discount for an annual sub over a pay monthly one.
And?

I made an observation, that it can also be applied to PS+ also doesn't disprove or invalidate it.

It is sneaky to so heavily upsell long-term commitment to a service by making the monthly rate literally double the price.

That's some legitimately anti-consumer shit right there.

adamsapple adamsapple

Since you think my comment is lol-worthy, how about you justify the pricing of the EXACT same service with the EXACT same material cost at such disparity based on commitment time? Its not like anyone is offering a directly competing service, so you can't apply the same argument employed by, for instance, vendors of general internet services like Antivirus, VPN's, NNTP access and such?

Get off the corporate dick you goon.
The board eagerly awaits you downplaying PS+ pricing in a Sony thread.

Top Bottom