• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bahrain Grand Prix - The Thread for Political Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lach

According to a swiss newspaper, the Sauber incident involved the bus with the engineers being roadblocked by a fire and people with their faces covered up (is mummed the right word?). Not much more is known at the moment.

[edit] Source

NHale

That tweet from Jalopnik is from February 2011!!!

This is what the Crown Prince said less than 1 hour ago, according to Jonathan Noble:

Big media scrum in paddock with Bahrain's Crown Prince. He says cancelling race not in his thoughts as that would be victory for extremists

The race will happen unless something big happens.

I still say that the massive advantage the protesters have here is that Bahrain will be in the international news again because of this race. I can't speak for those outside of the UK, but I've seen NOTHING in the news since the race last year was cancelled... and even before that Bahrain was pretty much the most under-reported aspect of the Arab Spring.

I wonder if they even know that the rest of the world forgot about them?

ANDY_098

Bahain: 'Man shot dead' in protest ahead of Grand Prix
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17796833
A man has been found dead with gunshot wounds in Bahrain after overnight clashes with police, activists say, a day before Sunday's F1 Grand Prix.

His body was found in the village of Shakoura, near the capital, Manama, an opposition group said.

On Friday, tens of thousands took part in at times violent protests demanding an end to the crackdown on dissent in the run-up to the rally.

Armoured vehicles are patrolling the streets of Manama ahead of the race.

Lucius86

Banned
That could have happened at any point I guess, but still - if at any time you would order your men not to shoot protesters, it would be now, when the worlds media are watching...

Shaneus

Sounds more like they're trying almost too hard to associate it with the F1, regardless of whether it's a direct consequence or not. If there's some crime that happens on Monday, I bet it'll be because of the zomg F1!!1

Burai

shitonmychest57
Sounds more like they're trying almost too hard to associate it with the F1, regardless of whether it's a direct consequence or not. If there's some crime that happens on Monday, I bet it'll be because of the zomg F1!!1

How can we tell if this death is a direct consequence or not?

It's all well and good bemoaning the press jumping on some sort of bandwagon, but the fact is that F1 has gone out there by invitation of the government. They picked a side and they now have to live with the consequence of that decision.

Shaneus

We can't. I'm just saying that the gist of that news article came across as advertising that. Well, just the headline at least. The quoted part of the article doesn't try to attribute it to the GP at all.

Burai

shitonmychest57
We can't. I'm just saying that the gist of that news article came across as advertising that. Well, just the headline at least. The quoted part of the article doesn't try to attribute it to the GP at all.

Do you think for one minute that had the event gone ahead without incident that Bernie, Todt and the Bahraini government wouldn't be singing from the rooftops about how right they were?

It doesn't work both ways. You can't walk into a situation like there is in Bahrain looking for glory and then wash your hands of it when something goes wrong.

F1 is there, it's a target, it will get the blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom