• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Climate Change: Are We Cornholed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RawPower

Banned
It's something I've been concerned about for a while now. This fellow here has drawn a parallel between our current situation and the Permian extinction.

Mankind is embarking on a strange ecological experiment. Over a couple of centuries, man is burning the carbon accumulated over millions of years by plants. The CO₂ levels are now at the level of the Permian extinction. There have been two mass extinctions in earth history, the Permian, 230 million years ago, was the worst. 70% of all species were lost. It was caused by natural global warming when volcanoes released greenhouse gases. (The other extinction event more familiar to most people was the more recent KT Cretaceous-Tertiary Mass Extinction event, 65 million years ago. It was caused when an asteroid plunged into the earth at Chicxulub Mexico wiping out the dinosaurs and half of earth’s species.) We are re-experiencing the same global warming conditions that triggered the more devastating Permian extinction, only this time it is man made. When it gets too hot, plants die. When it gets too hot and dry, massive fires ravage huge areas. When plants die, insects and herbivores die. When insects die, even heat-resistant plant’s don’t get pollinated and die. Birds die without insects to eat. Carnivores die without herbivores to eat, all triggered by what seems so innocuous — heat. Similarly, in the oceans, when they get just a few degrees too warm, corals expel their symbiotic algae and die soon thereafter. When coral reefs die, the fish that live on them die, triggering extinction chains. Satellites can chart the loss of vegetation over the planet. We are losing 4 species per hour, a rate on the same scale as the Permian and KT extinction events. Man has no ability to live without the support of other species. We are committing suicide and killing the family of life on earth along with us. The question is, will we wipe ourselves out along with the rest of the planet’s ecology? Man is very adaptable. He will destroy his food supply on land and in the oceans as a result, but some people will survive. That is not complete extinction.

http://mindprod.com/environment/extinction.html

There's more articles on the site that cover the topic more extensively. What does GAF think?

equap

Banned
You_are_already_dead-%28n1296951764362%29.jpg

nyong

Banned
"We?" - no. Several generations from now perhaps.

If we wipe ourselves out, Mother Nature will keep right on trucking. Until the sun inevitably burns itself out.

ezrarh

We are a species born from rapid climate change so humanity will continue. Most of the future generations might be fucked though.

"We?" - no. Several generations from now perhaps.

If we wipe ourselves out, Mother Nature will keep right on trucking. Until the sun inevitably burns itself out.

Earth will be barren long before that. Well, largely.

They say we have around 500 million years left for life on this rock, as the sun grows brighter and brighter and eventually makes our climate unlivable.

Good times.

RawPower

Banned
Earth will be barren long before that. Well, largely.

They say we have around 500 million years left for life on this rock, as the sun grows brighter and brighter and eventually makes our climate unlivable.

Good times.

Damn it. Why do I think about these things? Why do I do this to myself? D:

Why do I think about these things? Why do I do this to myself? D:

Cheer up, the climate won't kill us in 500 million years.

We'll have done that to ourselves long before that ever happens.

And cheer up again, odds are we'll all be dead before the rest of us wipes the rest of us out. So there's really nothing to fret about.

iamblades

I'm curious about how accurate the extinction rates from the fossil record are, do they only include the species we have fossils of? If so the extinction rate is likely to be a gross underestimation.

I don't see how you could make an estimation to account for all the species that have evolved and gone extinct over the lifetime of the earth that left absolutely no trace in the fossil record though. Seems like most of the fast evolving smaller organisms that are least likely to be found in the fossil record are the ones that go extinct at the fastest rate.

That said, we are going to have to seriously start working on geoengineering, because that's the only way this problem is going to be fixed. Conservation and green energy is not a solution unless you wanna kill 6.5 billion people..

After reading about that plasma rocket thread earlier that can get us to Mars faster, I'm all up for changing planets. I'd rather be in a Mars colony long before we turn Earth into a furnace.

ampere

The Venus atmosphere is a lovely 77 degrees with almost the same air pressure and gravity as earth. Just can't breathe the air.

Well if you talk about surface temperature... the average on Venus is 460 degrees Celsius.

And about 93 times the pressure at Earthen sea level.

I think it would take a fancy submarine to withstand that pressure, hah.

pestul

I hate to think about it, but it is true that we are rapidly killing off everything on this planet.

I know everyone is all about the 'pass the buck' or 'that'll be a in a few generations', but I seriously think that climate change will still have a dramatic impact on many GAF'ers later years. There's a good chance that many on this forum may actually perish as a result of some event linked to climate change (more severe weather/flooding/drought).

Oppo

Those folks in the Maldives probably think the "generations" talk is darkly amusing. I hope.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
did you know there was already an intelligent Earth-born civilization before the dinosaurs? oh, you didn't?

Wiggum2007

Those folks in the Maldives probably think the "generations" talk is darkly amusing. I hope.
I was just kidding with the pass the buck comment, I'm studying tropical ecosystems and plenty of low-lying Pacific nations are already feeling the effects of this stuff.

I'm not talking about the surface. The winds that circle above the planet is probably the 2nd most hospitable place for humans in the known galaxy

So don't worry about turning our planet into Venus because our upper atmosphere will still be hospitable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom