• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Climate Change: Are We Cornholed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonercop

shit another climate change thread. Reposting this then:

Current projections:
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/200...ath/?mobile=nc
http://globalchange.mit.edu/research/publications/990
http://www.iea.org/publications/scen...ndprojections/
http://www.climatewizard.org/

Why calling these projections into question because of past work isn't valid:
http://www.skepticalscience.com/ipcc-overestimate-global-warming.htm

And no, global warming hasn't stopped:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=u_0JZRIHFtk#!
http://www.skepticalscience.com/glob...nuary-2008.htm
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/ta...LB.Ts+dSST.txt(raw data)

And don't listen to misanthropic babbies, we're not quite completely fucked yet if we change course.

Even Lovelock admitted that the most dire predictions were incorrect and alarmist.

yeah, uh, about that...

bonercop

That movement seems poorly thought out.

Voluntary human extinction is what happens if we keep effing with the climate until famine and war destroy civilization from within.

If you want humanity to go extinct, you want more overpopulation and global heating, not less.

Their goal is to stop human and human-caused suffering. Not to wipe out humanity.

...Then again: getting everyone to agree to stop fucking seems like an even more daunting task than stopping everyone from being careless about resources. So it is fatalistic in the worst possible sense -- If you're going to consider a cause futile, at least put your effort in the thing that would solve the problem!

eucharis

My honest opinion is that it's difficult to understand this mindset. Intelligent, sentient life is the most marvelous achievement in the known universe. This is inarguable on almost every quantitative level.

I consider the voluntary destruction of such a creation (that we fear may be unimaginably rare in this universe) to be madness.

But even if it is a marvelous thing (and it is life really is a marvelous thing) does that give us permission to breed into excess? Like a cancer moving from one continent to another because there's no more room? Having children because we feel we are intelligent being that the world needs more of doesn't seem like a great idea.... Aren't humans the most important thing on earth?

Their goal is to stop human and human-caused suffering. Not to wipe out humanity.

...Then again: getting everyone to agree to stop fucking seems like an even more daunting task than stopping everyone from being careless about resources. So it is fatalistic in the worst possible sense -- If you're going to consider a cause futile, at least put your effort in the thing that would solve the problem!

Yeah that's true, once school ends I was going to use my artistic abilities to spread the word. Hopefully making a kickstarter soon where a portion of the profits will be donated to UNICEF and planned parenthood in 3rd world countries. I was reading an article a couple months ago where Catholic churches have set up stations in poor areas around the world making it very difficult for charities to go to these areas and inform people of STD's and birth control.

I still think it's futile but I'm not going to stop trying.

Sibylus

Banned
I don't think extinction is on the table, but our lifestyle and civilization as we know it certainly is. We'll wake up and hear the music, but I fear not before an appalling number of people and other species have died.

eucharis

I don't think extinction is on the table, but our lifestyle and civilization as we know it certainly is. We'll wake up and hear the music, but I fear not before an appalling number of people and other species have died.

Yeah, I really hope I'm not alive when the whole Ebola or Influenza pandemic becomes a reality.

bonercop

Yeah that's true, once school ends I was going to use my artistic abilities to spread the word. Hopefully making a kickstarter soon where a portion of the profits will be donated to UNICEF and planned parenthood in 3rd world countries. I was reading an article a couple months ago where Catholic churches have set up stations in poor areas around the world making it very difficult for charities to go to these areas and inform people of STD's and birth control.

I still think it's futile but I'm not going to stop trying.

If everyone thought like this, it wouldn't be futile at all. So good job on not being part of the problem :p

I'd say the best thing your average individual can do is to try and help working it into politics. Lobby for that shit. Raise awareness. Write a ~*strongly worded letter*~. Maybe spend an afternoon awkwardly holding a sign saying something edgy and hope enough people show up...anything that helps move the subject into being more discussed. Once politicians feel threatened by the notion that there's a segment of the population out there that actually cares about the issue, I think you'll see a lot more being done about it.

If you can be a part of...I dunno.... some dumb protest movement with ten-thousands other people, I think you do a lot more than switching out your light bulbs.

eucharis

If everyone thought like this, it wouldn't be futile at all. So good job on not being part of the problem :p

I'd say the best thing your average individual can do is to try and help working it into politics. Lobby for that shit. Raise awareness. Write a ~*strongly worded letter*~. Maybe spend an afternoon awkwardly holding a sign saying something edgy and hope enough people show up...anything that helps move the subject into being more discussed. Once politicians feel threatened by the notion that there's a segment of the population out there that actually cares about the issue, I think you'll see a lot more being done about it.

If you can be a part of...I dunno.... some dumb protest movement with ten-thousands other people, I think you do a lot more than switching out your light bulbs.

Yeah that's true but I feel deep down it's an issue about people not wanting to feel uncomfortable. I like Millions Against Monsanto on my facebook and there's a great following there and so many protesters (I've even wrote several letters to senators about GMO labeling) but still nothing can be changed. Same with Frankenfish, I posted an article on my facebook and one of my friends read it and still agreed that frankenfish was a great idea.

I wish but too many people are scared of the consequences of the big companies that can come crashing down on them and take everything. And I think the whole "one or none" child suggestion is way too extreme for most people to comprehend. The UN posted an article a long time ago stating that people should not have so many children but how can you go about saying that to the world? There's too much emotions tied to the thought of hindering life.

Dhx

But even if it is a marvelous thing (and it is life really is a marvelous thing) does that give us permission to breed into excess? Like a cancer moving from one continent to another because there's no more room? Having children because we feel we are intelligent being that the world needs more of doesn't seem like a great idea.... Aren't humans the most important thing on earth?

Well, your position and the one from that link are argued from a premise I do not subscribe to - the Earth is something more special than Homo Sapiens.

Relatively on the universal scale, homo sapiens are infinitely more valuable than the Earth. Additionally, responsible population management is a goal far removed from voluntary extinction and something to which I feel your energy would be better directed.

eucharis

Well, your position and the one from that link are argued from a premise I do not subscribe to - the Earth is something more special than Homo Sapiens.

Relatively on the universal scale, homo sapiens are infinitely more valuable than the Earth. Additionally, responsible population management is a goal far removed from voluntary extinction and something to which I feel your energy would be better directed.

Hopefully making a kickstarter soon where a portion of the profits will be donated to UNICEF and planned parenthood in 3rd world countries
done and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom