• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Datura |OT|

Carl

Datura_Logo.png

What is Datura?

Datura is a new PSN game from Plastic, the development team behind Demoscene title "Linger in Shadows" on PSN.

In Datura, you utilise the PS Move controller (though DualShock3 is supported) to manipulate a hand in the game world, and solve puzzles. As the Game Director puts it, "you are immersed into the game's unique experimental narrative and original way of interaction, which enables you to experience the world not only visually, but also empirically - an illusion that you can actually touch trees, faces, and other objects"

You will also be faced with many choices throughout the game.

Where can i buy it?

Datura is for sale NOW on Playstation Network

US $9.99
EU £6.49, €7.99, AU$12.95

There is an additional 20% discount for PS+ subscribers for the first 2 weeks

Videos

This strikes me as a game which is hard to explain with words, so i thought it best to include a couple of youtube links to better show off the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BV3Gt-QnLMA - initial trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ng8UW1_F1g - Game Director talks a little about Datura

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vktlNnql7mA&feature=player_embedded - Launch trailer

NeoGAF user TTP has worked his magic on a Datura analysis video - check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7rtL8Caqhg&feature=youtu.be

Reviews

Playstation Universe 7/10
Despite being woefully short and lacking some genuinely challenging puzzles, Datura is still a captivating and unique experience worth checking out.

GamesRadar 7/10
Datura is arty, a tad obtuse, and the clumsy Move controls don't make it any more accessible. For more methodical, curious gamers, we recommend you download Datura, and play it with a DualShock. Moments from the game have a way sticking in your mind, calling you in for a replay.

Game Revolution 7/10
Even though it doesn't have a high production value and it's short even for a $9.99 game, its core message is that this is an artform that has the power to have players experience something that other artforms can only dream of.

GameTrailers 6/10
Even its most attention-grabbing moments can come across as a little dull. With gimmicky motion elements, threadbare puzzles, and a ghost's whisper of a narrative, Datura ends up as an underwhelming experiment.

Official Playstation Magazine UK 6/10
While it's short there is some interesting imagery (although visually the polish varies between adequate and woefully poor) and with an open mind it's a fascinating experience you'll mull over for a while.

Eurogamer
Datura is a flawed experiment that's worth a look if only because it reaches towards - and occasionally touches - something that feels genuinely fresh.

Edge 4/10
You'll trudge endlessly around the forest, cursing your protagonist's languid walk speed as you wander from one already visited landmark to the next in the vague hope of triggering the next bit of scripting in a narrative which goes out of its way to confuse the player.

Kotaku: Don't buy it
Two Things I Loved
Bizarre experiences, like throwing potatoes at a pig.
Feeling the texture of birch trees like a hippie on MDMA.

Two Things I Hated
Having to fight the game to do basic things.
The unsatisfying ending.

nofi

I gave it a 6 (here) and stick by that. It's a neat idea, with some ace visuals, but the actual experience isn't really all that impressive.

Well worth playing though.

K701

Banned
Why are they all reviewing a tech demo? Fucking idiots.

It is a tech demo, its nothing to be ashamed of. Its by a tech demo crew, who've done previous tech demos on the PS3, financed by Sony who like demos to show off their tech (in this case Move, and 3D).

Anyway, i just tried it with a HMZ and Move strapped to the side for full-on VR, the kind of stuff Pierce Brosnan promised we'd have 20 fucking years ago.
One staggering tech demo. I just stood there for ages looking around, impressed at the full fidelity and responsiveness of the headtracking. Played around, fondled the statue,
woke up pigsy, went for a drive
. Nearly puked.

Damn motion sickness :-( No wonder VR has been a dead-end for decades. I never believed it till now, i thought it was the old 1990's tech that was responsible, but apparently its just our lousy brains.

It is a demo. Hah.

Lol I did the exact same thing: Set up HMZ and move with velcro, played for a few mins, fondled statue, got sick and almost puked.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lol I did the exact same thing: Set up HMZ and move with velcro, played for a few mins, fondled statue, got sick and almost puked.

Out of curiosity, have you tried standing perfectly still while looking around? By standing perfectly still I mean letting the virtual hand go so that its movement doesn't interfere with camera orientation.

Also, do you get sick in the car scene as well? Is the 2nd Move firmly attached to the HMZ or does it wobble a bit as you move your head?

kassatsu

Banned
My 3d had tons of cross talk during the car scene. Double images galore. Gave me a headache, and thus ended my 3d playing.

K701

Banned
Out of curiosity, have you tried standing perfectly still while looking around? By standing perfectly still I mean letting the virtual hand go so that its movement doesn't interfere with camera orientation.

Also, do you get sick in the car scene as well? Is the 2nd Move firmly attached to the HMZ or does it wobble a bit as you move your head?

No. I used the hand and moving my head at the same time to get around. Didn't even get to a car scene. Also today I'm getting better double sided velcro so the move attached to my hmz wont rotate by itself as much. (I don't want to glue velcro to the hmz so its moving around a bit)

I'll try again later today when I get back home.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm enjoying this. Not exactly the most well made game, Move controls are cool but frustrating, but I like the atmosphere and ideas. I'm kind of stuck right now though.
Can't open the gate with the numerals on it that's near the carnival games.
My only real complaint is that when the moral choices happen you often get locked into an option without realizing it.
In the ice one I hit the trigger because of the prompt on screen and was unable to save the person, I had to go for the frozen trophy.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Yeah, standing still is fine obviously, but you have to move eventually, then then your brain starts to generate its "hey, waiiiiiit a minute" distress signals.
Was too busy crashing into things in the driving bit to notice.
I think it was secure, but good question, its so sensitive it could be an issue when i'm throwing my head around. Will try again tomorrow.

Why are you crashing into things in the driving scene? Mind you you need to hold the Move pointed towards the screen to go straight and yaw it around to steer. Just saying cos your first instinct might be to hold the controller like you are holding the right side of the wheel. Which is not how it works there (oddly enough I should say).

GeoramA

Hearing about clumsy Move controls made me back off from buying. Need more impressions from people playing with Move.

Played through it yesterday in 3D + Move, and I really enjoyed it. The only real complaint I have is that the human animations are really subpar, which is a big contrast to the rest of the game's visuals (gorgeous).

Question for those who played through the game without a Move:
What does it show in the mirror?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Played through it yesterday in 3D + Move, and I really enjoyed it. The only real complaint I have is that the human animations are really subpar, which is a big contrast to the rest of the game's visuals (gorgeous).

The reflection of the restroom behind you as you were invisible

Can you play this game with two move controllers?
Sort of. A second Move can be used to control the camera orientation 1:1 style.

Ridley327

It took a picture of my gamer picture.

Has anyone figured out what impact the "moral" decisions have on the game? I like that there's a good mix of obvious choices and not so obvious ones, but I'm not sure what they would impact.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
It took a picture of my gamer picture.

Has anyone figured out what impact the "moral" decisions have on the game? I like that there's a good mix of obvious choices and not so obvious ones, but I'm not sure what they would impact.

I've gone through the game like 20 times already making all sort of different decisions and the only impact they have is on the "mood" of the forest (darker/lighter).

I think what needs to be figured out is the actual meaning of the whole thing. I guess the roman numbers on the gates are hinting at something.

Bought it, had the points. Will try it out in a few days. Don't have a PS Move, so will see how that affects it. Hopefully it doesn't.

It displayed my PSN avatar pic. So basically a whiskey chugging Max Payne appeared as my reflection. In Datura, I...am Max Payne.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

It's hard to know whether this is due to a lack of faith in the design or a lack of faith in the technology. A bit of both, I expect. Either way, the end result is a prompt whenever you are close to an object you are supposed to interact with. Press the button and only then do you move into position to do anything with it.

That's incorrect. The pose button only serves to get you in the ideal position for interaction but if you are already in that position you don't need to press the pose button. Just reach forward and pull trigger to begin the interaction.

It's basically more of an movement aid like auto-parking. You can either use it or park yourself.

This is when using the Move.

When using the DS3, then you have to press triangle to pose otherwise the hand won't show up at all. I think DS3 support is one of the reason why this whole pose thing is in there. The other one being the lack of lateral strafing which makes getting into the right position "manually" a bit difficult with both DS3 or Move.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why are they all reviewing a tech demo?

It is a tech demo, its nothing to be ashamed of. Its by a tech demo crew, who've done previous tech demos on the PS3, financed by Sony who like demos to show off their tech (in this case Move, and 3D).

Anyway, i just tried it with a HMZ and Move strapped to the side for full-on VR, the kind of stuff Pierce Brosnan promised we'd have 20 fucking years ago.
One staggering tech demo. I just stood there for ages looking around, impressed at the full fidelity and responsiveness of the headtracking. Played around, fondled the statue,
woke up pigsy, went for a drive
. Nearly puked.

Damn motion sickness :-( No wonder VR has been a dead-end for decades. I never believed it till now, i thought it was the old 1990's tech that was responsible, but apparently its just our lousy brains.

It is a demo. Hah.
Wait, did you enable dual Move controllers somehow? I want to try this.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ok, I've been trying to find a meaning to Datura's madness and I'm wondering if anyone got it yet.

I'm pretty sure the roman numbers are the key as they appear (on the gates) as you complete the various "events" but I'm not sure what to make of them.

Any idea? It surely can't be just random shit no?

Ok, I've been trying to find a meaning to Datura's madness and I'm wondering if anyone got it yet.

I'm pretty sure the roman numbers are the key as they appear (on the gates) as you complete the various "events" but I'm not sure what to make of them.

Any idea? It surely can't be just random shit no?

I've been thinking that the numbers could represent a way of putting the different events into a narrative string. Lowest number is the first thing to happen and so on.

But I can't figure the narrative out, theres a shit ton of symbolism in it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I've been thinking that the numbers could represent a way of putting the different events into a narrative string. Lowest number is the first thing to happen and so on.

But I can't figure the narrative out, theres a shit ton of symbolism in it.

Yeah, I think there is. Another thing I've noticed is that there are missing numbers (IV, VII, IX, XI, XIII). Number XII is curious. It's at the top of the first gate, pressed already, but I have no idea to which event it is connected to. Perhaps the ambulance one?

spats

I love this game even more than I loved Linger in Shadows. I understand why most outlets hate it, but I don't agree with them. :p

Incredible surreal adventure. Playing with a solo Move wand. Don't know how the DS3 controls are.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I love this game even more than I loved Linger in Shadows. I understand why most outlets hate it, but I don't agree with them. :p

Incredible surreal adventure. Playing with a solo Move wand. Don't know how the DS3 controls are.

Well, watch my video ;)

Hint: DS3 controls are sort of bad

KalBalboa

Banned
Datura PS3 Gameplay

don't want to spoil anything but I have a question

is the
Swimming Pool
a secret level or is it just part of the normal game?

It's
a normal part of the game.

I just finished the game and loved it. I was honestly shocked once or twice and had this overwhelming feeling of nostalgia and melancholy. The controls are hampered by the unnecessary prompts I wish I could just disable, so I can't say it's necessarily a "must play" for anyone, but it does deliver an experience unlike any other.

I think I enjoyed it more than Journey despite knowing that Journey is technically a better game, but the experience Datura gave me was actually rather moving. I dig it.

spats

Great analysis video. No Z-axis movement with the DS3 kinda defeats the whole purpose of the floating hand. Maybe you could've changed the proximity with the shoulder buttons or something, but that's starting to sound like a control nightmare.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So what's your interpretation of Datura thus far? If there is one, that is.

Meanwhile, I've just noticed there is a "12" engraved on the lock at the end of the tutorial, same number that shows up at the top of the first gate (albeit that one is written as "XII").

edit: Thanks spats. I'm pretty sure DS3 support hampered Move controls/potential overall and is the reason of all the prompt fest. Fuck the DS3.

Meanwhile, I've just noticed there is a "12" engraved on the lock at the end of the tutorial, same number that shows up at the top of the first gate (albeit that one is written as "XII").

edit: Thanks spats. I'm pretty sure DS3 support hampered Move controls/potential overall and is the reason of all the prompt fest. Fuck the DS3.

NOOOOOO, put that thing away, don't **** the DS3, if this was move only i couldn't play it at all, DS3 is my only option :( i'm sure DS support was an afterthought.

KalBalboa

Banned

I basically found it to be unnervingly personal and moody, which was a good thing in the end. The sense of regression and various stages of life being vignetted really got to me, particularly the
kid you climb the tree with
. That scene really got me involved in a way I feared I couldn't attain again at my age, and after being unable to get really into Dead Space 2 (despite knowing that it's a really great game), I began to worry I was too jaded to really sink my emotional teeth into a game's atmosphere again. Datura and Journey both changed that.

spats

I've purposefully stayed away from trying to analyze any of the meanings and symbolisms. I usually do the same thing with fine art. In a lot of cases people end up with explanations that the artist(s) didn't intend and that aspect of the piece starts living a life of its own. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, but I just don't do it.

Clearly the game isn't as two-dimensional as it first seems, but I mostly looked at aesthetic merits as well as cool gameplay ideas, both of which the game has plenty of in my opinion. It's pretty inconsistent in terms of visuals, but at its best it's bordering photoreal. The massive vertex fields of leaves, branches and blades of grass in the forest, as well as the crazy texture resolution in most spots made my jaw drop on more than one occasion.

Human animation is pretty terrible and really disconnected me from the great mood the game had set up more than once. Them using
cardboard cutouts instead of real people in the WW2 scene felt more of a compromise than an artistic choice.

I'm so happy there are interactive demos like this and hope that Plastic ends up making some money off the game, though I can't imagine the budget being too big. I'm perfectly happy about the price I paid for the game.

Oh and the best fluid/goop simulation in the industry.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Datura is a game that I think would have been a lot better if it had less fussy controls. The way it is, you're often pulled out of the carefully built atmosphere and experience, every time there's a locked-gesture moment, prompt to be read etc. It's a shame as they clearly had the ability to implement more organic approach to these things, as manifested in one of the better puzzle moments in the game -
when you use the hand to plug the gutter

Still, I ended up enjoying it even though it wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. There's a strong sense of placement in the environment helped by great visuals and the hand that mimics your own. It really feels like being in a strange dream when playing this. There's also something nostalgic about the experience the game provides - clearly because it involves some scenes from childhood, but perhaps for me also because some of the east European aesthetics gleam through from time to time. Then there are what I would probably think were genuinely WTF moments for most people, like
the well drop sequence
, which just made me smile knowing that Plastic wouldn't resist showing off some demo effects here.

It's a flawed but very memorable game to me.

Carl

I attempted to play it the other day when half asleep. It didn't work out very well - i didn't really know what i was doing or how i was doing it. Maybe one to play when i am a bit more awake and aware of things :D

Top Bottom