• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
one day Nintendo will leave the home console behind and become a gaming PC company and you all will regret your folly for being disappointed about the WiiU

Lol I really have no info besides what was said in the chat room and even that was vague information. It was delicious information though. Sogood.gif. I just haven't said anything because we were kind of told in chat just to keep it to ourselves.

Nintendo Gaf irc is the chat room we have for when the conference is in session. It's been active for the past couple of days but I can't provide you with a link since I'm on my phone atm.

tired of this chatroom advertisement give up the info

A/S/L?

I konda hope we get to see that sometime during the week.

But then my inner skeptic asks, "Oh yeah, Tom? Well then when would you propose that happen? Hmm?"

Not sure.. :/

We have never seen the OS of a Nintendo console on E3. E3 is all about games, games and games!

But we may be surprised at the hardware designer interview and see a glimpse of it. (That event has never been public before)

Anyone getting disappointed now that the U won´t be as capable as the Orbis/Durango... REALLY? where have you been the last few month?

I am also one who belives that its more poweful than a souped up Xbox 360 but not as powerful as the Orbis/Durango. Somewhere in between Xbox 360/Durango. Most likely about in the middle... Thats my closest estimation!

Mithos

So.... GC/Wii and its TeV's vs XBox and its Shaders, one of the biggest reasons for crappy multiplatform games.

What tech will be in the PS4/Xbox720 that the Wii U will not have that will make it what the GC/Wii TeV's was to the Xbox Shaders?

Didn't Nintendo patent some weird graphics technology with depth mapped textures a few years ago? If I remember correctly, it was basically displacement mapping, but didn't actually affect the geometry in any way. Instead, the individual pixels of a texture were drawn above or below the surface the texture was mapped to.

What would be the benefit(s) to something like that?

TheChits

I don't understand how people can get de-hyped just because a few people mentioned the elephant in the room: no, Wii U probably - or surely - won't be as or more powerful than 720/PS4, but this doesn't mean that the console itself isn't worth getting hyped for just because of its specs.

And yeah, other people's hype level is important to me :(

Don't worry everyone will be going crazy by the time the conference hits :)

magash

are we certain that the MS console is a beast for gaming?

are we sure that its not beastly because it needs to run Windows 8?

Who knows? whatever the case is, it is quite clear that the Xbox3 is going to be stronger than the Wii U which we were all expecting. It might be that Kinect 2 might utilize more processing power as compared to kinect 1.

I bet we'll see some really creative ones this time around. Wait and see! :)

"But but but... Theres a touchscreen on the othereise totally regular controller... I can´t fathom what i could be doing with such a totally unique thing... So i decided to do nothing! I am smart developer!!!"

Every time I hear people talk about the rumored specs for the new MS console (which I believe to be true) I'm still stunned they're going to release a console like that. I can't possibly see how they could put something like that out for under $400.

Hence the 2 year XBL contract. Release at $350-400, force a contract, and release a machine that costs $60-70 million a game title to take advantage of. The box will have to be almost 2X the internal volume of PS3 and suck twice the juice.

Stuff of nightmares, that. Hopefully nobody's actually that stupid.

HylianTom

Banned
"But but but... Theres a touchscreen on the othereise totally regular controller... I can´t fathom what i could be doing with such a totally unique thing... So i decided to do nothing! I am smart developer!!!"
Precisely! This generation is going to be incredibly entertaining as far as excuses go, since the power one will look quite a bit sillier..

lednerg

I think this next generation is going to be the one in which the reality of diminishing returns becomes undeniable. MS and Sony are going to have to make vastly superior and more expensive consoles just to do what amounts to blink-and-you'll-miss-it types of improvements over Wii U 3rd party games. Message boards and gaming sites will be arguing over screenshots of higher-res bumpy wall textures, fancier particle effects, less visible vertices, and more characters far off in the background. I doubt the average gamer is going to be impressed enough with these improvements alone to want to pay a few extra hundred dollars or get locked into a subscription plan - especially when the games themselves are in most respects identical to what will be on the Wii U at that time. Nintendo is also going to have to overcome this same hurdle with current PS3 and 360 owners, but they do at least have their 1st/2nd party games and the functionality of the controller to help matters. On the whole, I think this next generation is going to see much slower sales than this one - the HD twins set the bar quite high for a generational upgrade, and even that took years to really take off.

lherre

Accurate
Would you say the gap between Wii U and Durango is more like...

The gap between PS2 and Xbox 1.

or

The gap between Dreamcast and Xbox 1?

Difficult to measure ... But i think Is more Like the Second one (Sorry about the capital letters I'm On ny iPhone XD)

HylianTom

Banned
I think this next generation is going to be the one in which the reality of diminishing returns becomes undeniable. MS and Sony are going to have to make vastly superior and more expensive consoles just to do what amounts to blink-and-you'll-miss-it types of improvements over Wii U 3rd party games. Message boards and gaming sites will be arguing over screenshots of higher-res bumpy wall textures, fancier particle effects, less visible vertices, and more characters far off in the background. I doubt the average gamer is going to be impressed enough with these improvements alone to want to pay a few extra hundred dollars or get locked into a subscription plan - especially when the games themselves are in most respects identical to what will be on the Wii U at that time. Nintendo is also going to have to overcome this same hurdle with current PS3 and 360 owners, but they do at least have their 1st/2nd party games and the functionality of the controller to help matters. On the whole, I think this next generation is going to see much slower sales than this one - the HD twins set the bar quite high for a generational upgrade, and even that took years to really take off.
I think that one side effect of all of this is that we're going to see another long generation, as the console makers try to milk as much life and profit out of one cycle of research/development.

Don't forget the "hot" part, too!

Heat's always freaked me out. I wonder if we'll ever see new cooling systems other than simple fans..

Vapor Chamber is already used on Graphic cards.

Instead of taking the heat from the chip with fins, wich only take the heat at the points of contact, the vapor chamber takes the heat off of the whole surface.

Its quite interesting and gives graphic cards great overclocking potential.

But its more expensive that the regular fins/heat pipe solution

magash

I think that one side effect of all of this is that we're going to see another long generation, as the console makers try to milk as much life and profit out of one cycle of research/development.

A long generation might not be feasible next generation due to the deteriorating economy (especially in Europe).

I've missed a bit about the difference in power between the third generation Microsoft console and the PS4. Is it not the case now that they'll be similar in power, like PS3 and 360?

ShockingAlberto mentioned that MS "balked" and decided to listen to the big devs/pubs. Though before that I had been given indications that MS had changed their direction so SA's info essentially confirmed why that change happened. So Xbox 3 will most likely be the top dog when it comes to raw performance.

Well for example the RAM amount

Well yeah, but that had been said since "the beginning" they were going to try for more than 2GB.

So.... GC/Wii and its TeV's vs XBox and its Shaders, one of the biggest reasons for crappy multiplatform games.

What tech will be in the PS4/Xbox720 that the Wii U will not have that will make it what the GC/Wii TeV's was to the Xbox Shaders?

About the only thing would be that they seriously out raw power Wii U, which doesn't seem to be the case from my take.

neo mode 7

Awesome.

"If I have the choice of walking down to the store and buying a full price disc like I did in the 90s, or just opening my Steam account... I'm going to open my Steam account. The second that changes is when I'll start playing console games again, and hopefully Dust 514 will help bring that change. And I really do hope we do a lot to change the situation. Having access to free, easy to download multiplayer games is going to change the PS3 platform - I think it's going to be really, really great.

I think if we weren't an Icelandic company it would've been very different, because buying a game in Iceland is incredibly expensive. So naturally everyone buys their games on Steam, and we make our games digital downloads. I think Nintendo's recent announcement that all Wii U games will be released digitally alongside retail is definitely going to help change things too. This is what's happened on PC before and I don't understand why it's taken so long on consoles to catch up." - Kristoffer Touborg, EVE Online dev

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...box-retail-then-ill-start-playing-them-again/

Some devs happy with Nintendo's future download strategy.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
You're going on info from the chat room. People will believe anything in there, I swear.
And you will forever remain skeptical about insiders >___>. There's one developer that he mentioned by name that would be announcing a game for e3. As far as I'm concerned, if that game is shown/announced he's right...and you're wrong *crosses arms*

LOL, right? Like that one dude who said he works at Nintendo and will be demonstrating demos at their E3. I can join the chat and start making shit up if I wanted to.
This goes for you too, you non-believer!

Linkhero1

And you will forever remain skeptical about insiders >___>. There's one developer that he mentioned by name that would be announcing a game for e3. As far as I'm concerned, if that game is shown/announced he's right...and you're wrong *crosses arms*

If I'm wrong in the end, then I am wrong. I would rather not get my hopes up over something someone, who claims to have "insider" information, says in a chat. I will always doubt anyone who claims to have insider information unless they have been proven to be reliable in the past. No offense to anyone.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

As should you! Why the hell wouldn't I be skeptical about an "insider" spilling his guts (but not enough to make it seem TOO unbelievable) in an IRC chat room?

I don't keep up with all the rumors in there because it's impossible, but what was the game mentioned by name?

Plinko said:
But nothing has changed. He and the others have been saying the same thing for months now.
Yeah. Since each of those people has a slightly different take on it, though, it can seem like a change if you're not keeping track of who was saying what. Like BGassassin's wording of "Difference between DC or PS2 to Xbox at max." makes it sound closer than EatChildren's "More than the difference between PS2 and Xbox", but they're really very similar.
Smiles and Cries said:
OS will not be shown at E3
why would anyone expect secretive Nintendo who will not even tell us the price show us an OS?
One is a detail about launch, one is a detail about the actual product? It might not be fully ready to show, but if they have some feature they want to brag about, they will. We didn't know about channels for Wii at E3 2006, but we learned about WiiConnect 24 and got hints about the Miis.
Plinko said:
I'll put wiiu as a low specs Pc compared to the others with the actual data
Plinko said:
And if that's the case we'll have the exact same situation as the current-generation.
No, this generation wasn't "High spec PC vs low spec PC" but "High spec PC vs mid spec PC from 5 years ago".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom