• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Didn't know he was a developer. Just thought he was an "insider" like a couple of other people. Sorry for the negativity (if you guys have noticed it). I haven't exactly been having a great day.
No worries. Lots of people seem to be having a negative day today for some reason.

I'm not buying the negativity. I'm pretty realistic about what the Wii U will bring to the table, and I can hardly wait to see it all on display.. :)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No, this generation wasn't "High spec PC vs low spec PC" but "High spec PC vs mid spec PC from 5 years ago".

You misquoted somebody, as I didn't say that first statement.

You're right, though, about the graphical power.

I was more or less referring to how I think the whole generation pans out, not just the graphics capabilities of the consoles.

However, I fully expect Nintendo to continue a 5-6 year console cycle while Sony/MS take a 7-9 year cycle from this point forward. I still believe Nintendo wants to firmly place their systems halfway between the release of the other two.

Well as long as the hardware is well adjusted for no bottle necking (I believe this gen was bad for it) they should be ok. Only issue will be with 3rd parties again. While I can see Capcom making an engine to run on WiiU (Made the MT Framework for Wii and 3DS), I don't see many companies doing that.

This coming gen IMO is going to be about the raw power difference. That would the main "bottleneck". And Nintendo's tweak phase was for optimizing other engines with the hardware so that should be one major hurdle eliminated.

Didn't know he was a developer. Just thought he was an "insider" like a couple of other people. Sorry for the negativity (if you guys have noticed it). I haven't exactly been having a great day.

It happens. Need me to take someone out? I'll give you a discount. :)

Ryoku

No worries. Lots of people seem to be having a negative day today for some reason.

I'm not buying the negativity. I'm pretty realistic about what the Wii U will bring to the table, and I can hardly wait to see it all on display.. :)
I also realize that differences, graphically, are harder to notice nowadays than they were during the sixth generation (especally on consoles). Even Sonic Adventure 2 Battle had a fuzzy line (Dreamcast vs GameCube) and that was during the sixth generation of consoles.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
To me, the absolute biggest piece of news Nintendo could include in their E3 presentation is a statement or interview/presentation confirming UE4 running on the console.

I still have my doubts as to whether or not it will be able to, but I think that could be the best possible thing to start getting the "core" gamers back on their side.

That said, I still think Nintendo doesn't need the "core" gamers back to be successful.

People should still be excited regardless of power gaps. Think about it for a second. You'll still be getting all the games Nintendo is known for, probably even more since they will probably aim to up their output to reduce software gaps, not only that, you'll get them on a console that provides the biggest power jump of all time from one generation to the next. Think of all the games that usually appear on Nintendo consoles, now realize they'll all return in glorious high definition looking like you've been dreaming they could look like.

The fact that it will probably get a lot more 3rd party ports than Wii (though still not all I bet) is all just the cherry on top of the initial stuff I mentioned. Think about it people. All must calm down. For people who are fans of Nintendo games, this console sounds like it'll be almost everything they could ask for.

Pocks

What's to stop Nintendo from revealing EKG pulse grips on the controller at E3? Such a design would be much easier to implement given the new grips that were revealed in the patents. The accuracy of the EKG grips even improve with a little sweat..

Didn't Nintendo say they had one more big surprise for the controller, or was that just chalked up to being the NFC capabilities?

Here's a mockup..

7DIiB.png

Hiltz

Wouldn't things like hard drives, blu-ray players, and using a non-Cell processor(for Sony, of course) allow Microsoft and Sony to help signicantly lower the manufacturing costs of Xbox 720 and PS4 so the price points could be below $600 ? Xbox core and Pro were originally priced at $299 and $399, right? Then Sony's prices were $499 and $599 back in 2006?

Just started playing some Wii games again, namely Zelda and Red Steel 2. I do love my swordfighting games. It got me in the mood to check this stuff out.

I haven't been following the speculation threads too much, and multiple 400 page threads make it difficult to catch up, so I hope the things I ask aren't too fucked.

Is Nintendo still encouraging to usage of the Wiimote alongside the Tablet? It would be a shame if they just completely abandoned their motion controls.

And are there any rumors of Red Steel 3 happening? RS2 had it's faults in structure and level design, but it's probably my favorite playing action game this gen. I'd love to see how they can build on it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just started playing some Wii games again, namely Zelda and Red Steel 2. I do love my swordfighting games. It got me in the mood to check this stuff out.

I haven't been following the speculation threads too much, and multiple 400 page threads make it difficult to catch up, so I hope the things I ask aren't too fucked.

Is Nintendo still encouraging to usage of the Wiimote alongside the Tablet? It would be a shame if they just completely abandoned their motion controls.

And are there any rumors of Red Steel 3 happening? RS2 had it's faults in structure and level design, but it's probably my favorite playing action game this gen. I'd love to see how they can build on it.

Red Steel 2 sold like crap, good luck getting a sequel.

This is the kind of thing i've seen people getting banned for. Just be careful what you post and write. You dont wanna get banned 1 week before E3 right? :p

EatChildren is this thread's overseer, and I'm pretty sure he has a sense of humour (and knows whatever comes out my mouth is bollocks, as I mentioned) so I should be safe. Not that I'm gonna go prodding the sleeping beast any more...

tkscz

This coming gen IMO is going to be about the raw power difference. That would the main "bottleneck". And Nintendo's tweak phase was for optimizing other engines with the hardware so that should be one major hurdle eliminated.

It happens. Need me to take someone out? I'll give you a discount. :)
Raw power difference was what last gen came to. Once optimization hits after a year or two, raw power may start to phase out. Again, as long as they tweeked it to run the engines, they should be good. UE4 is the only thing in question here. MS will now be running it and Sony is still in question. Nintendo seems to be out according to what I get from you guys.

People should still be excited regardless of power gaps. Think about it for a second. You'll still be getting all the games Nintendo is known for, probably even more since they will probably aim to up their output to reduce software gaps, not only that, you'll get them on a console that provides the biggest power jump of all time from one generation to the next. Think of all the games that usually appear on Nintendo consoles, now realize they'll all return in glorious high definition looking like you've been dreaming they could look like.

The fact that it will probably get a lot more 3rd party ports than Wii (though still not all I bet) is all just the cherry on top of the initial stuff I mentioned. Think about it people. All must calm down. For people who are fans of Nintendo games, this console sounds like it'll be almost everything they could ask for.

Exactly..right on the money Pyro! .......
but can it run UE4???? lol

Mithos

About the only thing would be that they seriously out raw power Wii U, which doesn't seem to be the case from my take.

That's what I figured, able to do same things in the same way just different power behind it.

No, this generation wasn't "High spec PC vs low spec PC" but "High spec PC vs mid spec PC from 5 years ago".

And still we have threads about people not "really" seeing a difference unless viewed side by side.

Iherre is a developer who has first hand knowledge on the hardware, (well, atleast with the wii u) Believe it.

Noticeable difference is in the eyes of the beholders if what I mentioned as answer to JoshuaJSlone above is any indication.

The future is indeed gonna be interesting.

Raw power difference was what last gen came to. Once optimization hits after a year or two, raw power may start to phase out. Again, as long as they tweeked it to run the engines, they should be good. UE4 is the only thing in question here. MS will now be running it and Sony is still in question. Nintendo seems to be out according to what I get from you guys.

Another poster here claims that they got UE4 running during that tweaking phase.

Exactly..right on the money Pyro! .......
but can it run UE4???? lol
I'll personally fly over to LA, or teleport there, and bitch slap reggie/iwata/whoever is responsible if it doesn't run it on some level. And by bitch slap I mean cower like a little child in their presence, but I'll definitely mutter some things under my breath.

Red Steel 2 sold like crap, good luck getting a sequel.

Really? I know it didn't do COD numbers by any stretch, but I remember it meeting sales expectations.

Source

Either way, yeah, I hope we do see a sequel or at least something like it on Wii U. Given some extra power behind the hood now, I would love to see some HD swordfighting games.

Or just have LucasArts rip the game off and coat it in a Star Wars skin.

TriGen

I feel the same. I just want to see some Nintendo games for a new console at E3, just the thought of that keeps my hype levels up. I still can't believe we're only one week away from confrences starting, it's seems like just the other day I was losing my mind about E3 being three months away.

One of my dreams was shattered - my dream of Nintendo showing FFXIV 2.0 on Wii-U in their conference. Square-Enix has a complete E3 trailer for the game...that they decided not to show off during E3.

BlackJace

So what's this I hear about the Wii U having the biggest OS in console gaming to date?

I'd like to have a robust OS, but isn't that bad for the RAM or something? I'm not THAT tech-savvy, but I'd guess being too bloated wouldn't be good.

Luigison

Wasn't there a UE4 video reel that showed a Wii U logo for at least on game? If I recall correctly it was thought at the time that the part of the video labeled Wii U wasn't done on a Wii U, but suggested that Nintendo would be able to run UE4 on Wii U.

Ps4 is not final yet and can change a lot but Xbox 3 it's more or less clear right now and the gap is big in almost every part

Difficult to measure ... But i think Is more Like the Second one (Sorry about the capital letters I'm On ny iPhone XD)

So, going by your and bgassassin's statements:

-360/PS3
-Low-end PC (Wii U)
- Median/High-end PC (PS4)
-High-end PC (Xbox720)

and that the gap between the Wii U and the 720 can be roughly similar to the dreamcast vs the Xbox. Thanks for the info. It is nice to have bit more precise picture on how the Wii U will compare.

Yeah. Since each of those people has a slightly different take on it, though, it can seem like a change if you're not keeping track of who was saying what. Like BGassassin's wording of "Difference between DC or PS2 to Xbox at max." makes it sound closer than EatChildren's "More than the difference between PS2 and Xbox", but they're really very similar.

One is a detail about launch, one is a detail about the actual product? It might not be fully ready to show, but if they have some feature they want to brag about, they will. We didn't know about channels for Wii at E3 2006, but we learned about WiiConnect 24 and got hints about the Miis.

Basically.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The most exciting thing about a high end Xbox/PlayStation next generation is that my current generation PC hardware might finally be put through its paces.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That just made me bother why they never added Leon and Panther in Assault's versus mode when they clearly have models to use. Rushed game is rushed.

Ugh. Lost an internship opportunity at a hospital to some rich kid (who isn't even a med student). Apparently his dad helps fund the hospital :/

Ok, yeah that sucks.

Exactly.

Wouldn't things like hard drives, blu-ray players, and using a non-Cell processor(for Sony, of course) allow Microsoft and Sony to help signicantly lower the manufacturing costs of Xbox 720 and PS4 so the price points could be below $600 ? Xbox core and Pro were originally priced at $299 and $399, right? Then Sony's prices were $499 and $599 back in 2006?

Even with the max BoM estimates on the BR drive, you're still looking at PS3's hardware costing over $500 at launch before adding in anything else. Cell's costs were more in the R&D and from a component viewpoint was actually third behind the Blu-ray drive and RSX. They still could have lost around $200 per console even at a $399 price tag. They could easily spend a lot of money on the basic components.

E3 theme? I know I'll be playing this for the previous 15 minutes until it starts.

Anytime I post a dancing gif I imagine this playing. It would be my suggestion for an E3 theme song. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb3HMJKec88

The raw power difference will still last.

And remember UE4 isn't limited to running at max settings only. It's about the feature set, not the power. Like I mentioned in a previous discussion, how many UE3-based games do you see running at 1080p/60 at max on PS360? Wii U can run UE4 as long as it has the features.

Log4Girlz

Man I would love one of the big three to put out a stupid powerful box. F it Microsoft, hold off until 2014 and just put some stupid shit in your box. 8 GB or RAM, ultra-complex GPU running at 1 ghz min, 16 core CPU. DO IT.

Plinko

Man I would love one of the big three to put out a stupid powerful box. F it Microsoft, hold off until 2014 and just put some stupid shit in your box. 8 GB or RAM, ultra-complex GPU running at 1 ghz min, 16 core CPU. DO IT.

Right now the rumors about Microsoft's next console seem to be pretty stupid powerful. Not 8GB of RAM stuff, but still.

That said, I'm absolutely convinced that innovation is what is going to bring these consoles popularity--NOT power. Core gamers will always go for power but the current generation brought in a whole bunch of new consumers into the video game purchasing landscape.

-Video chat (OS level, put a game in standby to take a call)
-Voice Commands
-Facial recognition (hopefully better than kinect, should be as the camera will be close)
-Suspend game (hopefully this will save your current state even if you put the system in standby or turn it off)

-OS level screen grab/video (share your achievements w/ your friends in a new way, draw on screen shots to highlight your "play")
-Watch a friend's play session online via the DRC (like that 1up article last year)
-Multitasking (keep an FAQ open to reference)

While some of this stuff sounds cool, it also sounds like a huge huge waste of ram (the ones I highlighted). Ram that I would rather see go towards the game, than to the OS. Save some of those features for next next gen, when we're talking about systems with 8 gigs of ram and have more leeway. I don't want to see 1/4 of the systems ram going to the OS personally.

E3 theme? I know I'll be playing this for the previous 15 minutes until it starts.

I'll be playing

Rocky IV - Track Workout - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGuRu97G4pM
Nintendo should actually use this as the music Reggie comes out on stage to, or a sizzle reel or something.

and

John Cafferty - Hearts on Fire - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDTNEEu3Rw
Robert Tepper - No Easy Way Out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwPb7g_BlXQ

Basically, Shiggy or Reggie can be Rocky. The late Gunpei Yokoi, Apollo Creed. Kaz Hirai and Don Mattrick are Clubber Lang and Ivan Drago.

Log4Girlz

Right now the rumors about Microsoft's next console seem to be pretty stupid powerful. Not 8GB of RAM stuff, but still.

That said, I'm absolutely convinced that innovation is what is going to bring these consoles popularity--NOT power. Core gamers will always go for power but the current generation brought in a whole bunch of new consumers into the video game purchasing landscape.

Well of course, just look at the original Wii or what Kinect did for Xbox sales. But I still want someone to just put out a stupidly monstrous system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom