• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkscz

Alright, so MS pussied out and gave into Epic's demands. Sony is sticking to what they planned on having and Nintendo is the weakest one. Sounds like PS2, GC, and XB to me. What are the odds Nintendo pulls another 3DS and change some hardware before release? I know the dev kits out now are the finals but that didn't stop them from upping the RAM in the 3DS.

wsippel

Banned
Found it. It's been a few years and I did indeed remember it wrong:

The tremendous advantageous 3D video games have over 2D video games is the ability of moving objects to interact in three dimensions with other elements in the scene. Pre-rendered textures, in contrast, are essentially 2D images that are warped or wrapped onto 3D surfaces but still remain two-dimensional. One analogy that is apt for at least some applications is to think of a texture as being like a complex photograph pasted onto a billboard. From a distance, the photograph can look extremely realistic. However, if you walk up and touch the billboard you will immediately find out that the image is only two dimensional and cannot be interacted with in three dimensions.

We have discovered a unique way to solve this problem in the context of real-time interactive video game play. Just as Alice was able to travel into a 3D world behind her mirror in the story "Alice Through the Looking Glass", we have developed a video game play technique that allows rich pre-rendered images to create 3D worlds with depth.

In one embodiment, we use a known technique called cube mapping to pre-render images defining a 3D scene. Cube mapping is a form of environment mapping that has been used in the past to provide realistic reflection mapping independent of viewpoint. For example, one common usage of environment mapping is to add realistic reflections to a 3D-rendered scene. Imagine a mirror hanging on the wall. The mirror reflects the scene in the room. As the viewer moves about the room, his or her viewpoint changes so that different objects in the room become visible in the mirror. Cube mapping has been used in the past or provide these and other reflection effects.

We use cube mapping for a somewhat different purpose--to pre-render a three-dimensional scene or universe such as for example a landscape, the interior of a great cathedral, a castle, or any other desired realistic or fantastic scene. We then add depth to the pre-rendered scene by creating and supplying a depth buffer for each cube-mapped image. The depth buffer defines depths of different objects depicted in the cube map. Using the depth buffer in combination with the cube map allows moving objects to interact with the cube-mapped image in complex, three-dimensional ways. For example, depending upon the effect desired, moving objects can obstruct or be obstructed by some but not other elements depicted in the cube map and/or collide with such elements. The resulting depth information supplied to a panoramically-composited cube map provides a complex interactive visual scene with a degree of 3D realism and interactivity not previously available in conventional strictly 2D texture mapped games.
US Patent 20040222988, filed in August 2003. The inventor is Paul Donnelly, game system designer and lead programmer at Nintendo until September 2008, now a programmer at Bloomberg London.

Alright, so MS pussied out and gave into Epic's demands. Sony is sticking to what they planned on having and Nintendo is the weakest one. Sounds like PS2, GC, and XB to me. What are the odds Nintendo pulls another 3DS and change some hardware before release? I know the dev kits out now are the finals but that didn't stop them from upping the RAM in the 3DS.

Sony were the weakest then.

Man...E3 is only a week away. It has so much potential. Sony seems to have a lot of great games to show between the last of us, god of war, cage's new game, and whatever else. Also the whole cloud mystery.

Nintendo has a whole entire console reveal and game blowout to share, definitely room for surprise games/partnerships that will make the reactions just great.

Microsoft is Microsoft, no one knows how they're gonna go or what they're gonna do or focus on or choose to show in the last minute, if all else fails, child actor gifs will be made, all in all fun.

ALL ONE WEEK AWAY.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

I like how you make it sound like better hardware is a bad thing or makes them weak. :p

Linkhero1

So what should be our E3 theme? We need a theme to go with this E3.

I vote for this

Doubt we'll see any final changes now, that is, unless Nintendo gives into Epic's demands. They haven't in the past and they wont now.

It seems they already went through that phase of tinkering and making some improvements. If they were to do any more now we could probably kiss 2012 goodbye.

Haha. And if you told the ones that didn't know that it was on GC first, they would probably argue the PS2 version looked better without even seeing how it looked on GC. But RE4 does make for a good example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qz0LbKpZtI

As a Nintendo fan
boy
I rarely care how the other sides games look but after watching that video it puts into perspective just what Nintendo systems are capable of...

So what should be our E3 theme? We need a theme to go with this E3.

I vote for this

Doubt we'll see any final changes now, that is, unless Nintendo gives into Epic's demands. They haven't in the past and they wont now.

this:

SebastianAlexander said:
this is the best i could find (both are youtube videos, which i converted to mp3 ... hope this is as legal as the youtube video)

http://www63.zippyshare.com/v/40112148/file.html

http://www63.zippyshare.com/v/50525230/file.html

D_prOdigy

"If I have the choice of walking down to the store and buying a full price disc like I did in the 90s, or just opening my Steam account... I'm going to open my Steam account. The second that changes is when I'll start playing console games again, and hopefully Dust 514 will help bring that change. And I really do hope we do a lot to change the situation. Having access to free, easy to download multiplayer games is going to change the PS3 platform - I think it's going to be really, really great.

I think if we weren't an Icelandic company it would've been very different, because buying a game in Iceland is incredibly expensive. So naturally everyone buys their games on Steam, and we make our games digital downloads. I think Nintendo's recent announcement that all Wii U games will be released digitally alongside retail is definitely going to help change things too. This is what's happened on PC before and I don't understand why it's taken so long on consoles to catch up." - Kristoffer Touborg, EVE Online dev

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...box-retail-then-ill-start-playing-them-again/

Some devs happy with Nintendo's future download strategy.

It's good that he has confidence, but I certainly never read into anything Nintendo said publicly that all Wii U games would be available on download simultaneous with retail. It's possible, of course, I was just never under the impression it was a given at this point.

Ryoku

Difficult to measure ... But i think Is more Like the Second one (Sorry about the capital letters I'm On ny iPhone XD)
Yeah, no. Honestly, I'm fine with PS4/Nextbox being noticeably more powerful than the Wii U (at least in the eyes of us, core gamers), but Dreamcast vs Xbox difference? I really have a difficult time believing such a thing. I know I don't have any specs to go by (I question everything that gets "spilled" or "leaked" on here by alleged insiders, by the way), but I do think a PS2 vs GC/XBox situation is what we're going to be looking at (worst case). Dreamcast was simply not capable of some of the things that the XBox was capable of.

Also, there seems to be a bit of a descrepancy between the claims of a couple of posters on here regarding the specs. I'm on my phone right now, so I don't want to go through the posts to gather the info.

Luigison

Leek spin for Leaks:

http://www.leekspin.com/

I don't know if this is new or not, but Best Buy is advertising email sign-up for Wii U pre-orders on Google News.

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US...p_wiiuvid.html

They're also using a black background on the Wii U logo.
Is this the old blue color?

popup_nintendo_03.gif

Emitan

Yeah, no. Honestly, I'm fine with PS4/Nextbox being noticeably more powerful than the Wii U (at least in the eyes of us, core gamers), but Dreamcast vs Xbox difference? I really have a difficult time believing such a thing. I know I don't have any specs to go by (I question everything that gets "spilled" or "leaked" on here by alleged insiders, by the way), but I do think a PS2 vs GC/XBox situation is what we're going to be looking at (worst case). Dreamcast was simply not capable of some of the things that the XBox was capable of.

Also, there seems to be a bit of a descrepancy between the claims of a couple of posters on here regarding the specs. I'm on my phone right now, so I don't want to go through the posts to gather the info.

I don't think the Wii U will be capable of everything the PS4 is.

Yeah. Since each of those people has a slightly different take on it, though, it can seem like a change if you're not keeping track of who was saying what. Like BGassassin's wording of "Difference between DC or PS2 to Xbox at max." makes it sound closer than EatChildren's "More than the difference between PS2 and Xbox", but they're really very similar.

Yeah, our interpretations are subjective even it's based on the same info.

Slim to none. Any changes would have occurred during that tweaking phase.

Found it. It's been a few years and I did indeed remember it wrong:

US Patent 20040222988, filed in August 2003. The inventor is Paul Donnelly, game system designer and lead programmer at Nintendo until September 2008, now a programmer at Bloomberg London.

Haha. I remember Cube Mapping.

It even has a Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_mapping

I thought this was pretty interesting under the Advantages section.

Also, cube mapping produces results that are similar to those obtained by ray tracing, but is much more computationally efficient – the moderate reduction in quality is compensated for by large gains in efficiency.

Instro

Difficult to measure ... But i think Is more Like the Second one (Sorry about the capital letters I'm On ny iPhone XD)

So essentially somewhere between Dreamcast and PS2 is the range for the positioning of the WiiU vs the other future consoles?

Well, your talking to a developer so I think he has a pretty good idea.

tkscz said:
Was hoping not to see another $600 console, but when Epic starts bullying, console manufacturers better follow.
Seems like it's the sort of thing that only holds once one side budges. If neither had conceded it would just be Epic's problem, having to adjust expectations about what their engine would actually be able to accomplish on machines people would actually own.

Iherre is a developer who has first hand knowledge on the hardware, (well, atleast with the wii u) Believe it.

tkscz

Yeah, our interpretations are subjective even it's based on the same info.

Slim to none. Any changes would have occurred during that tweaking phase.

Haha. I remember Cube Mapping.

It even has a Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_mapping

I thought this was pretty interesting under the Advantages section.

Well as long as the hardware is well adjusted for no bottle necking (I believe this gen was bad for it) they should be ok. Only issue will be with 3rd parties again. While I can see Capcom making an engine to run on WiiU (Made the MT Framework for Wii and 3DS), I don't see many companies doing that.

Ryoku

Didn't know he was a developer. Just thought he was an "insider" like a couple of other people. Sorry for the negativity (if you guys have noticed it). I haven't exactly been having a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom