• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

You are awesome. :)

That seems to have worked. For whatever reason RadeonPro causes a crash on startup, but I may have inadvertently set something extra to cause that, so I'll take a look. CCC works just fine, though. Got through the Depths and Gaping Dragon without a hitch.

I originally was running RadeonPro when 0.1 was released, but stopped using it because it didn't seem to be doing anything at the time.

In the RadeonPro Profile for Dark Souls under the Tweak option check the "Force agressive API detection Level" box. That seems to prevent the crash on start up.

Man, is this game that poorly optimized? I'm trying to run the game at just the base, nothing else fancy turned on like the AA or DOF or AF overides, and i'm barely hitting playable framerates. It's especially bad when I look in a certain direction in the starting area.

This location is a trouble spot, I get a ton of slowdown just looking near it. If I don't look in that direction my framerate is higher, but still kinda shit. Looking in the direction of this, even when down the hall or at the ladder in the next room, insta FPS drop into the single digits.

Core2Quad @2.4Ghz
8GB RAM
GTX460

I know my rig's kinda old, but I should be able to run this thing at 1080p without the fancy shit, right?

Can you overclock your CPU? I have a Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM and a GTX560, so very similar to yours. The CPU is overclocked from 2.5ghz to 3.8 and I'm running at 1080p (810 DOF) with SMAA, SSAO and 8x AF at a constant 30fps with only the occasional Blight Town-related struggle.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Can you overclock your CPU? I have a Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM and a GTX560, so very similar to yours. The CPU is overclocked from 2.5ghz to 3.8 and I'm running at 1080p (810 DOF) with SMAA, SSAO and 8x AF at a constant 30fps with only the occasional Blight Town-related struggle.

Unfortunately, overclocking isn't an option for me. I shouldn't have to overclock so high to get a playable framerate on this game when literally every other game I bowl straight over with almost no problems (except for TF2, piece of shit)

joe2187

Banned
Some shots I've been taking

DACF4080D73A9BE8DE719DC2700DE1E16AF2615E

8850FB4E20D9112532FA5740B8809C38558876C3

CC57D05CE733061AF69AB9F5EBE9508DB8C61A8E

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Post the settings you are using, maybe you are enabling something by accident.

renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1080
dofOverrideResolution 540
disableDofScaling 0
filteringOverride 0
smaaQuality 0
borderlessFullscreen 1
disableCursor 1
dinput8dllWrapper none
captureCursor 0
enableBackups 0
backupInterval 1500
maxBackups 10
overrideLanguage none
skipIntro 1
d3dAdapterOverride -1
logLevel 0
forceWindowed 0
forceFullscreen 0
presentWidth 1280
presentHeight 720
enableVsync 0
fullscreenHz 60

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
In the interest of science I removed the DXfix entirely to see how performance fared in Pixel mode.

I got the exact same framerate even with the game only rendering 720p and resizing up to 1080p. Literally, zero difference. Standing in the location pictured here:

Is an absolute slideshow. It's entirely unplayable like this. :(

Sullichin

I had the 'screen fills with bright blue and white' thing happen to me.

I invaded someone, and I killed them right as they kill me. We're both in our death animations....
YOU DIED
TARGET DESTROYED
<momentary explosion of blue and white>
Returning to your world with newfound humanity

It was actually pretty awesome.

screenshot_2012-09-09jnu5g.png

Ready to set out on my New Game+ adventure. I'm not much of a NG+ kinda guy, in most any game, but SSAO and high quality blur are enough of a carrot for me to give it a go =D

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Have you tried a clean re-install of Nvidia drivers?

Clean-Installed the latest beta (WHQL has an issue with my card - it makes it run only on idle clocks) and saw no improvement.

The GPU looks like it dipped down in frequency there but it was just from me alt-tabbing previously as I wanted to move the windows out from under each other. GPU is going full steam ahead and using 40% of itself at the absolute most, CPU is barely being touched as well. (The spike you see in the front was from the initial load-up, in game it never reaches even close)

There is nothing I can see that would be causing this problem.

Kyodan

Neo Member
I spent some time tweaking the SSAO more, the lines in the distance are gone now, flickering is (slightly) reduced and performance should be better. I tested it in areas that are problematic (like the woods) and it's useable without too many artifacts there now, at least on low and medium.

Would you mind posting up the tweaks you made? I'd like to see them in action.

anddo0

ssao is causing way too much of a performance hit (i7, 7970m, 16gb ram). The game runs great with all the other tweaks.

JVIDICAN

I would imagine if you just keep upping the rendering res in Durante's fix it will have to hit a point were the card is using enough to up the clocks to 3d levels, try using slightly higher dof also, and make sure the filtering override is on at least 1, most likely 2 will help....

old quote.. but my god.. This was my F'ing problem.. :/
A game that performs worse at 1080p than it does at 3840x2160.. ha..ha..

SOLDIER

Is there a way to map the "No Hud" command to L3?

I believe that is the only button on the controller not used for anything.

dino1980

And too the same button on the xbox360 controller :). There is a home button that works with xbox360 controller, but that one also is for opening gfwl.

Durante

You could map L3 to some keyboard key (even a fictional one like F18) using an external tool (eg. GlovePIE) and then map that to the HUD toggle.

doomquake

You could map L3 to some keyboard key (even a fictional one like F18) using an external tool (eg. GlovePIE) and then map that to the HUD toggle.

i was even thinking of making a timed macro, to turn on and off the HUD if i am switching items.

I was wondering if we can somehow customize our hud? for example just show health and endurance or something. anyway f it. PLAY THE GAME! IT ROCKS

McNerdBurger

Neo Member
Thank you so much Durante.... can't believe how pretty it is now. Just ran into the
gaping dragon
for the first time, nearly shit my pants. I managed to beat it first try with arrows, which is a good thing since I didn't find any bonfires in the depths. What an epic gaming experience. If I had died, I'd be singing a different tune though

dino1980

Easy way to toggle HUD ON/OFF with xbox360 controller.

1) Download this controller emulator (thanks for the tip Grimm Fandango)

Joytokey

2) Extract it and open the program.

3) Left downside corner push create. Name your configuration for example Darksouls.

4) On the right side click on button 9. A new window open, click in the yellow box and press right ctrl (right controll) and then press ok.

After that just start Darksouls and now you can turn the hud on and off easy with the right analog stick button.

To make it easier for you in the future just add a shortcut to the program on your windows bar.

Truant

I'm gonna try donating some, Durante. I love your work, and if you don't get anything out of this from Namco/From, I hope your skills as a graphics programmer have grown so you can land that awesome job.

If not, maybe all the media coverage could be something you can put on your resume? Whatever happens, I hope everything works out for you!

Klyka

Banned
Just installed 1.1 and I can't toggle SSAO on and off anymore like I could before, even though the key is set and I even tried switching it to a different key. Any ideas here?

Klyka

Banned
Ok fixed the hotkeys, thanks!

Another thing: If I have my res set to 3840x2160 in Anor Londo and turn on SSAO, my FPS drop heavily. The moment the turn the resolution down, say to 1440p, it runs super smooth at all times, even with SSAO. I'm on an i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz and a 580.
Will try to play around with resolutions a bit more till it looks AND runs great.

_machine

You were mentioned in the Finnish Pelit-magazine in the Prepare to Die Edition Review:
My translation said:
None of this matters. Peter Thoman's unofficial resolution fix improves the graphics and the rest can be forgiven because even a scabby Dark Souls is one hell of a game.
Wish they'd given a donation link, but hopefully people searching for the fix will notice it on your blog.

I have to post again to say that you are simply amazing Durante, it's like you ported Dark Souls from this gen to next gen all by yourself! The SSAO you implanted and especially the DOF, you blow me away again and again :D

Now if I only could play the game, it's been two weeks and I still cannot beat that taurus demon even though I watched various video tutorials and read countless guides, I guess Dark Souls is just a bit too much for me, I mean I never even could beat Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels either :(

Durante

Now if I only could play the game, it's been two weeks and I still cannot beat that taurus demon even though I watched various video tutorials and read countless guides, I guess Dark Souls is just a bit too much for me, I mean I never even could beat Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels either :(
I beat him without getting hit once, and with a method that requires almost no manual dexterity.
Just climb up the ladder, use some kind of distance attack once or twice, climb onto the ladder again before he jumps up, wait on the ladder till he jumps down again. Repeat as often as necessary.

Ok fixed the hotkeys, thanks!

Another thing: If I have my res set to 3840x2160 in Anor Londo and turn on SSAO, my FPS drop heavily. The moment the turn the resolution down, say to 1440p, it runs super smooth at all times, even with SSAO. I'm on an i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz and a 580.
Will try to play around with resolutions a bit more till it looks AND runs great.
The SSAO is full-res, so it scales linearly with the resolution. That means that it takes 2.25x times the performance at 2160p compared to 1440p.

dino1980

I beat him without getting hit once, and with a method that requires almost no manual dexterity.
Just climb up the ladder, use some kind of distance attack once or twice, climb onto the ladder again before he jumps up, wait on the ladder till he jumps down again. Repeat as often as necessary.

Easy to also just climb the ladder, jump down with an light attack (does massive damage) he will be stunned for a short time, in the meantime climb the ladder and do it over again till he dies.

Ah ok, good to hear!

I have a similar build (4Gb though) and I'm using the following:

2880x1620 (downscaled to 1080p)
SSMA 3
SSAO 2
DOF 540
DOF Blur 1

Do you get drops when doing backstabs/ripostes or from throwing spells with lots of particles like fireballs and stuff? I have the same settings (2500k @ 4.5, 8gb, asus 560 ti top) and i get drops from 15-25 a lot of the time unless I just use 1920x1080.

Ledsen

Do you get drops when doing backstabs/ripostes or from throwing spells with lots of particles like fireballs and stuff? I have the same settings (2500k @ 4.5, 8gb, asus 560 ti top) and i get drops from 15-25 a lot of the time unless I just use 1920x1080.

Exact same parts as you (even the same OC), I only get framedrops at bonfires:

1440p
1080 DoF
DoF blur 1
SMAA 1
SSAO 1
16x AF in Nvidia inspector

Andrea23

Ehi guys, here a useful trick that i have discovered for 16:10 user : ).

How to play in borderless window with 16:10 screens (w/out stretching, may improve performance)

- Use this tool (click) for Ati cards or nHancer for Nvidia gpu and set a resolution equal to the maximum allowed by Dark Souls in windowed mode (in my case 1680*945)
- Set the desktop resolution to this value
- From CCC (click) select "maintain aspect ratio" from the digital panel section (i don't know how to do this for nvidia cards, sry :S )
- Of course set "borderlessFullscreen 1" in the DSfix.ini
- Activate the windowed mode from the game's options

Epic win :O.

Thrakier

Is it normal that the game is super fucking dark or does it have something to do with the fix? I can barely see stuff. Also the logos etc. which you see before the title seem to be fucked up.

Is it normal that the game is super fucking dark or does it have something to do with the fix? I can barely see stuff. Also the logos etc. which you see before the title seem to be fucked up.

You probably want to provide screenshots to show what you mean if you can't find a match for the myriad of screenshots posted in this thread.

The patch also has a function to skip those logos (by increasing the speed of the game when it's trying to show them), so you should either not see them at all or see them whiz by extremely fast.

Top Bottom