• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crazy sports presidential predictions that have never been broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
I saw this on MSNBC just now

MLB - Candidate who carries the WS champion's state wins (Giants won but a Tigers win would have worked too unless Obama loses MI lol)
NCAAF (LSU/Alabama) - If Alabama wins, Democrats win. If LSU wins, Republicans win (Alabama won tonight)
NFL (Washington Redskins) - If they win their last home game before the election, the incumbent wins (Game is tomorrow)

Someone please tell me this is bullshit lol. No way it's never been broken

Syrinx

MLB - Candidate who carries the WS champion's state wins (Giants won)
LSU/Alabama - If Alabama wins, Democrats win. If LSU wins, Republicans win (Alabama won tonight)
Washington Redskins - If they win their last home game before the election, the incumbent wins (Game is tomorrow)

This one was broken in 04 I believe.

Edit: GB beat them, and GWB still won, I mean.

Kusagari

Yeah, Redskins Rule was broken in 04.

And then it was retconned to mean the party that last won the popular vote would lose so that it would still be relevant.

Volimar

Precedents.

LrwjJ.png

pigeon

Banned

MLB - Candidate who carries the WS champion's state wins (Giants won but a Tigers win would have worked too unless Obama loses MI lol)
NCAAF (LSU/Alabama) - If Alabama wins, Democrats win. If LSU wins, Republicans win (Alabama won tonight)
NFL (Washington Redskins) - If they win their last home game before the election, the incumbent wins (Game is tomorrow)

The World Series rule has been broken a bunch of times -- for example, 1988, 1992 and 1996.

It's all bullshit. Correlation does not mean causation. People are looking for patterns where none exist. ESPN can also kill some time by discussing this stuff.

When you have a gajillion variables, of course you can find one that predicts past outcomes. The problem is that unless you have a reason to believe that the variable actually impacts the outcome, you're just noting correlations, and the number of amusing predictor variables shrinks every time a new trial happens.

alejob

It's all bullshit. Correlation does not mean causation. People are looking for patterns where none exist. ESPN can also kill some time by discussing this stuff.

No it's not BS, it's actual facts. And the state winner of the World Series will always win the election!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom