• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, what are YOU going to do about the Midterms 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
DON'T GET MAD, GET EVEN!

We can dissect and discuss till the cows come home, but we must move forward. I'm so sick of seeing people here vote and complain every 4 years but go back to talking about fucking Justin Bieber and celebrity divorces.

There is a silver lining to the dark cloud of 2016. And that is 2018. So, I ask you, what are you going to do to help take back some power in 2018?

VOTE AT THE #MIDTERMS 2018, PASS IT ON!

33 seats are up for election in 2018:
23 Democratic seats + 1 Bernie Sanders
1 Independent
8 Republican seats (1 retiring)

Democrats/Bernie need to hold ALL of their seats AND win at least 5 Republican seats. This is, of course, on top of trying to reclaim a majority in the House of Reps.

The Republican Senate seats in play are:

Jeff Flake - Arizona - won in 2012: 49-46%
Dean Heller - Nevada - won in 2012: 46-45%
Deb Fischer - Nebraska - won in 2012: 58-42%
Lyen' Ted Cruz - Texas - won in 2012: 56-41%
Bob Corker - Tennessee - won in 2012: 65-30%
Orrin Hatch, retiring - Utah - won in 2012: 65-30%
Roger Wicker - Mississippi - won in 2012: 57-41%
John Barrasso - Wyoming - won in 2012: 76-22%

-------

Some further info about their previous wins -- bolded some critical bits of info:

Jeff Flake - Arizona - won in 2012: 49-46%

In February 2011, Flake announced that he was running for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by the retiring Senate Minority Whip Jon Kyl in 2012.[52] Flake easily won the Republican nomination against real estate businessman Wil Cardon.[53]
He faced former surgeon general Richard Carmona, who sought office for the first time in the general election. In May 2012, Flake led Carmona by 13 points in the polls. In an October 2012 poll by Public Policy Polling, Flake was trailing Carmona by two points.[54] After the race tightened, the Wall Street Journal criticized a controversial Flake ad that accused Carmona of having "issues with anger, with ethics, and with women." [55]
Flake was endorsed by the Casa Grande Dispatch,[56] the United States Chamber of Commerce,[57] and the Club for Growth.[58]
Flake defeated Democratic Richard Carmona 49%–46% on November 6, 2012.[59] He won mainly on the strength of carrying Maricopa County, home to Phoenix and 60 percent of the state's population, by 77,200 votes, more than the overall margin of 67,900 votes. He also benefited from Mitt Romney carrying the state by 10 points in the presidential election. Article about the 2012 race

Dean Heller - Nevada - won in 2012: 46-45%

In March 2011, Heller announced that he would run for the United States Senate to succeed John Ensign after Ensign announced his resignation.[20] He ran as the incumbent following his appointment to the seat on May 3, 2011 by Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval. In September 2012, Heller received an endorsement from the Filipino-American Families of America in Politics, a group of Filipino Americans in Las Vegas formed to advocate for families of World War II Filipino Veterans.[21]
He faced First District Congresswoman Shelley Berkley in the November election. In one of the closest races of the cycle,[citation needed] Heller won by 12,100 votes out of almost 900,000 cast. Ultimately, a 21,000-vote margin in Washoe County allowed Heller to win a full term. Article about the 2012 race

Deb Fischer - Nebraska - won in 2012: 58-42%

In the general election, Fischer faced Democrat Bob Kerrey, a former Nebraska governor and U.S. senator, who was running for the seat that he had held from 1989 to 2001.
In the course of the campaign, Kerrey's advertising accused Fischer of unprincipled conduct in the matter of a 1995 adverse possession suit, whereunder the Fischers had attempted to obtain title to 104 acres (42 ha) of land adjoining their property.[14] The Kerrey campaign maintained that Fischer, after losing the lawsuit, had used her position in the Legislature to keep the landowners from selling the property to the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission (NGPC). The episode, declared a Kerrey website, had shown "[n]eighbor suing neighbor; vindictiveness; pettiness; deceit; abuse of power".[15] Fischer maintained that their intent in filing the suit was to obtain a more manageable boundary for their ranch, after repeated attempts to purchase the land had failed; an Omaha World-Herald analysis stated that the Kerrey campaign's statements regarding Fischer's actions in the Legislature failed to mention her support for a compromise measure that would have allowed NGPC to buy the land.[16] A Fischer spokesman accused Kerrey of "reckless disregard for the truth" and "gutter politics" in the matter.[14]
In the general election, Fischer defeated Kerrey 58%–42%. Fischer won mainly by swamping Kerrey in the state's rural areas. She won 88 of Nebraska's 93 counties. Kerrey only won Douglas, Lancaster, Saline, Thurston, and Dakota counties.[17]
Fischer became the third female U.S. Senator in Nebraska's history, and the first since 1954.[18][19] She was the first elected to a full term: of the earlier woman Senators, Eva Bowring was appointed in 1954 to occupy the seat vacated by the death of Dwight Griswold until a special election could be held to replace him later that year;[20] Hazel Abel won that special election to finish Griswold's term, but did not seek a full term.[21] Article about the 2012 race

Lyen' Ted Cruz - Texas - won in 2012: 56-41%

In the November 6 general election, Cruz faced Democratic candidate Paul Sadler, an attorney and a former state representative from Henderson, in east Texas. Cruz won with 4.5 million votes (56.4%) to Sadler's 3.2 million (40.6%). Two minor candidates garnered the remaining 3% of the vote.[97] According to a poll by Cruz's pollster Wilson Perkins Allen Opinion Research, Cruz received 40% of the Hispanic vote, vs. 60% for Sadler, outperforming Republican Presidential candidate Mitt Romney with the Hispanic vote in Texas.[98][99] Article about the 2012 race

Bob Corker - Tennessee - won in 2012: 65-30%

In 2004, Corker announced that he would seek the U.S. Senate seat to be vacated by incumbent Republican Senator Bill Frist, who had announced that he would not run for reelection. In the Republican primary, Corker faced two former congressmen, Ed Bryant and Van Hilleary. Both of his opponents ran as strong conservatives, denouncing Corker as a moderate and eventually labelling him a leftist.[27] In the course of his campaign, Corker spent $4.2 million on television advertising, especially in the western portion of the state, where he was relatively unknown.[15] In the August primary, he won with 48% of the vote; Bryant's got 34% and Hilleary got 17%.[28]
In the general election campaign, Corker's Democratic opponent, Harold Ford, Jr., challenged Corker to seven televised debates across the state. In response, Corker said he would debate Ford, though he did not agree to seven debates.[29] The two candidates eventually participated in three televised debates: in Memphis on October 7,[30] in Chattanooga on October 10,[31] and in Nashville on October 28.[32]
The race between Ford and Corker was described as "among the most competitive and nasty" in the country.[33] In October 2006, as polls indicated that Ford maintained a slight lead over Corker,[34] the Republican National Committee ran a controversial television advertisement[35] attacking Ford. In the 30-second ad, sound bites of "people in the street" pronouncing Ford wrong for Tennessee were interspersed with two shots of a white woman animatedly recalling meeting Ford—who is African-American and was unmarried at the time—at "the Playboy party". The ad concludes with this woman leeringly inviting Ford to phone her.[33][36] The ad was denounced by many people as racist, including former Republican Senator and Secretary of Defense William Cohen, who called it "a very serious appeal to a racist sentiment." Corker subsequently pulled ahead in the polls,[37] and went on to win the election by less than three percentage points. He was the only new Republican Senator in the 110th Congress.[38] Corker was sworn in as Senator on January 4, 2007.[39]

In November 2012, Corker won his re-election bid with 64.9% of the vote. Corker faced the conservative Democrat Mark E. Clayton, from Davidson County, near Nashville. Clayton, who received 30.4% of the general election vote, is the vice-president of the interest group Public Advocate of the United States, based in Washington, D.C. Clayton was disavowed by his own party, the leadership of which urged Democrats to write in a candidate of their choice in the race against Corker.[40]
Article about the 2006 race
Article about the 2012 race

Orrin Hatch, retiring - Utah - won in 2012: 65-30%

Having elected state delegates in mid-March, both the Democratic and Republican parties held conventions on April 21, with the possibilities to determine their nominees for the November general election. At the Republican convention, Hatch failed to get the 60% vote needed to clinch the Republican nomination, so he faced Liljenquist (the second-place winner) in the primary June 26.[14] Hatch won the primary easily.[15] It was Hatch's first primary competition since his election in 1976. The Democratic convention chose former state Senator and IBM executive, Scott Howell as the Democratic candidate. Hatch eventually retained his position with 65.2% of the vote to Howell's 30.2%.[14] Article about the 2012 race

The Salt Lake Tribune reported that in 1977, Hatch told students from the University of Utah, "I wouldn't want to see homosexuals teaching school anymore than I'd want to see members of the American Nazi Party teaching school."[59]

Fundraising[edit]
Candidate (party) Receipts Disbursements Cash on hand Debt
Scott Howell (D) $421,086 $420,779 $306 $0
Orrin Hatch (R) $11,577,851 $13,140,209 $779,719 $515,845
William Barron (I) $17,157 $14,116 $3,038 $0
Source: Federal Election Commission[39][40][41]

contributors[edit]
Scott Howell Contribution Orrin Hatch Contribution
Altaview Orthodontics $5,000 Cancer Treatment Centers of America $67,500
IBM Corporation $3,150 Apollo Global Management $39,000
Intermountain HealthcareNational Education Association $5,000 Blue Cross & Blue Shield $54,500
International Association of Iron Workers $5,000 Fresenius Medical Care $65,500
International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers $5,000 Cerberus Capital Management $65,000
International Union of Operating Engineers $10,000 OC Tanner Inc $72,010
Shurtleff Construction $5,000 Ernst & Young $53,000
St Mark's Hospital $5,000 PricewaterhouseCoopers $42,008
Sutter Health $4,500 Marriott International $39,500
United Steelworkers $5,000 Herbalife International $41,900

Onaco

Join TYT if you really want that sort of discussion? I agree, but there's not much we know about the next election right now.

HvySky

Do my research and fucking vote. We can only hope that two years with a white supremacist calling the shots will get people off their asses and doing the same.

Already started telling my friends that, as horrifying as this is, if they're genuinely upset about the outcome then they need to start doing their homework and look to 2018 as well as local elections as our next chance to make a change for the greater good.

VOTE. VOTE. VOTE.

BowieZ

Banned
Join TYT if you really want that sort of discussion? I agree, but there's not much we know about the next election right now.
The election begins NOW.

You are the electors. You are also the ones running.

What else is there to know?

Bowdz

I'm going to reelect my safe Democratic Rep, reelect my awesome Democratic Senator, and work my ass off to turn our Rep. state house blue.

GhostBed

I'm going to try to volunteer as much as I possibly can. I don't want to become complacent, I want to put in effort and help the party I support. Complacency is what has gotten us into this. Dems need to be as active as possible right now.

BowieZ

Banned
Midterms? I vote every year. Two or three times a year, if applicable.

Gonna help the local dems and keep our city/county blue. Already talked to my friends in TX and FL and they're also going to volunteer and help out their local dems.
http://www.localvictory.com/organization/local-political-party.html

I'm going to try to volunteer as much as I possibly can. I don't want to become complacent, I want to put in effort and help the party I support. Complacency is what has gotten us into this. Dems need to be as active as possible right now.

Live in California, vote, watch as my state tries to carry the shit that is rural America, get drunk errytime.

I'm going to reelect my safe Democratic Rep, reelect my awesome Democratic Senator, and work my ass off to turn our Rep. state house blue.

Vote, donate, volunteer time canvassing and registering.

Vote, donate, and try to do whatever I can. Gotta keep CT blue.

Do my research and fucking vote. We can only hope that two years with a white supremacist calling the shots will get people off their asses and doing the same.

Already started telling my friends that, as horrifying as this is, if they're genuinely upset about the outcome then they need to start doing their homework and look to 2018 as well as local elections as our next chance to make a change for the greater good.

VOTE. VOTE. VOTE.

Gonna vote.

Gonna tell my friends to vote.

Gonna lose.

Don't boo, vote!

For real this time.
You are all fucking patriots and you should be proud.

More!!

Fracas

#fuckonami
If I had money and charisma, I swear I'd run for local office. This election has gotten me invested in politics like never before.

I'm 100% showing up at midterms. I'm a journalist so I don't publicly endorse or donate. I'll sure as hell do it in private, though.

Mass One

TBH, Just going sit around for the next big fall game release and hope nothing too life changing affects me. I'm not wasting anymore time with this trash state.

UraMallas

I'll be voting for progressive policy in IA up and down the ballot. I have never voted in a midterm. I am part of the problem, but no more.

Vestal

Gold Member
Live in Pinellas County FL. Stepping out of the shadows of relying of just my vote to be my voice. My goal for the next 2 years is to get Rick Scott the fuck out of my state and elect a Democrat to the Governorship.

I am the son of a politician from Puerto Rico. I was always hesitant to get into the active political process because I saw up close what politics and hatred did to my family. I love politics, but I was afraid to be active because I lived it. I remained a passive voter that would always vote every election. Last night was my wake up call. I will no longer be quiet.

I am doing this for my two daughters. They deserve a better country.

rugioh

Banned
What is it with these threads on NeoGAF finger-pointing each other on a majority liberal forum as if they were the noshows that tipped the scale in the other direction? You guys realize that more likely than not the people you are directing threads like this towards are not likely on this forum, and may not even be on the internet at all. I've been seeing it nonstop here and on reddit, which are usually left leaning groups depending on the subreddit.

Dishwalla

Banned
I need to figure this out to be honest. Not sure I want to stay a resident of Idaho, really would like my voice to matter more. Voting sounds good, but it's hard to vote blue in such a large sea of red.

BowieZ

Banned
Live in Pinellas County FL. Stepping out of the shadows of relying of just my vote to be my voice. My goal for the next 2 years is to get Rick Scott the fuck out of my state and elect a Democrat to the Governorship.

I am the son of a politician from Puerto Rico. I was always hesitant to get into the active political process because I saw up close what politics and hatred did to my family. I love politics, but I was afraid to be active because I lived it. I remained a passive voter that would always vote every election. Last night was my wake up call. I will no longer be quiet.

I am doing this for my two daughters. They deserve a better country.

Volunteer!. Help get any dems/liberals into office. Every single seat counts.

Tons of local elections that need your vote.

I'll be voting for progressive policy in IA up and down the ballot. I have never voted in a midterm. I am part of the problem, but no more.

Vote. Vote. Vote.

Encourage everyone to vote. Except my asshole family.

If I had money and charisma, I swear I'd run for local office. This election has gotten me invested in politics like never before.

I'm 100% showing up at midterms. I'm a journalist so I don't publicly endorse or donate. I'll sure as hell do it in private, though.
You are all truly what makes America great.

gimic26

Neo Member
I've already told people I will be volunteering. I've donated many times but that's not enough anymore. Time to get my hands dirty and get people out to vote.

StoveOven

Banned
I'm gonna vote, I'm gonna get people I know to vote, I might donate to close races cash depending.

I'm from Jersey, so I'll also do all this for our Gubernatorial race next year. Dems in NJ and VA need to remember that for whatever dumbass reason they elect governors a year after the Presidential election. Don't sleep on those races.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I'll try to get more people to register and vote Left but I live in Texas so... If only there were thousands of me doing the same

Voting isn't enough. We need to start a wave, a movement for change. We lost because the right has a bigger movement. They destroy us on social media. They intimidate us in public. How can we accomplish anything if we just stay quiet for two years?

We need to go out and be heard. We cannot be scared or ashamed. We need to generate enthusiasm. If we fail, they'll drown our voices out.

I will use social media to create awareness. I'll be active in politics. I'll keep people positive and hopeful for the future. I'll volunteer. And I will vote.

Fox Mulder

I'm never missing a midterm or local election again.

Our apathy allowed the tea party over years to claw the country back from the ground up and allow trump to win with fewer votes than Romney lost with.

Vestal

Gold Member
Not sure what I can do i Jacksonville,FL tbh. I don't know where to start looking.

We work on getting Rick Scott OUT! That has to be our #1 goal come 2018. Nothing else should be bigger than that. Turn the governorship then the legislative branch. Turn the fucking state blue. THE VOTES ARE THERE. I-4, Broward, Miami-Dade.. Don't wait till 2018.. Start within the next few weeks to get information get involved. Start going to local party meetings get organized. Start learning your county and who and what is around you.. Find other people just like you and get them involved.

We need to do this. We so fucking need to. The only positive from last night is that it "Woke me the FUCK UP". I now see what I need to do in life, I was just breezing by going to my job and just living my life providing for my family. That is not enough, I need to fight for them.

Not sure what I can do i Jacksonville,FL tbh. I don't know where to start looking.

Vote every year in both primaries and generals even when the races are boring as hell and seem pointless. 2015 was judges and local officials in PA -- I think. I didn't want to vote, didn't feel compelled to vote, but I went anyways. Your vote on local races has more impact.

Falxix

I know you're feeling excited now, but when midterms come around don't get complacent. Set your calendars now or sign up for an election reminder (https://www.rockthevote.com/pledge/). I know there are people who have a tough time planning in advance (I'm forgetful as shit) and I want you to be prepared.

I don't know any good resources for election information, can anyone make a recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom