• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, what are YOU going to do about the Midterms 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vote at all levels.

For your mayors, gocernors, coucillors, sheriffs, DAs, Senators, Reps, State reps.

If you want to stop the federal gerrymander you have to vote at state level too.

May start exploring a potential run for the House of Reps for Ohio if I'm still in the States. Exploring my options.

I think if enough people don't just vote, but actively attempt to RUN for one of these seats...just getting one person who is progressive and not part of the establishment will be a win.

Most of the time the seats are unchallenged, especially on a state (less so) and local level. I don't know how many times I get to the general and just see a Republican candidate and no Democrat.

Democrats really need to get into the mix at the lower levels because their farm system, to steal a sports term, is beyond depleted at this point.

May start exploring a potential run for the House of Reps for Ohio if I'm still in the States. Exploring my options.

I think if enough people don't just vote, but actively attempt to RUN for one of these seats...just getting one person who is progressive and not part of the establishment will be a win.
My run for public office would be cut short in an instant if they found my online accounts lol

Not to mention the pirating and whatnot...

I don't envy that aspect of public officials

My run for public office would be cut short in an instant if they found my online accounts lol

Not to mention the pirating and whatnot...

I don't envy that aspect of public officials

I actually helped a friend long ago run for House in MO.

If you put a great effort into it they might find them...

Anyway he got like 500 votes and did absolutely nothing in the district.

W-00

I'm going to do the same thing I do every election: vote. But I live in Washington state, and western Washington state at that, so it's not like my vote will add any progressives on the national level. We're already doing everything we can.

Then again, my district's representatives in the state house are both republicans, and that bothers me. I may look into volunteering for one of their opponents/Dems in general. Depends on what else I have going on then, I suppose.

Kill3r7

I'm gonna vote, I'm gonna get people I know to vote, I might donate to close races cash depending.

I'm from Jersey, so I'll also do all this for our Gubernatorial race next year. Dems in NJ and VA need to remember that for whatever dumbass reason they elect governors a year after the Presidential election. Don't sleep on those races.

We can't even find a worthy gubernatorial candidate to run let alone vote for them. NJ politicians suck.

OP, I plan to vote just like I do every election.

GamerJM

Banned
Vote. I might volunteer if I can but I dunno if it'll be possible by that time due to personal reasons related to mental health and lacking access to transportation, among other things. I'll do whatever I can.

We can't even find a worthy gubernatorial candidate to run let alone vote for them. NJ politicians suck.

OP, I plan to vote just like I do every election.
Peter Jacob was amazing and we voted Leonard Lance over him :/

NJ is really blue but we have a shitton of districts that are really red

benjipwns

Banned
Same thing I did this election and the 2014 midterms. And the 2015 weird local election. But definitely not voting like I did in 2012, what a mistake.

Really I need to put focus into my Vice Presidential bid in 2020.

benjipwns

Banned
Most of the time the seats are unchallenged, especially on a state (less so) and local level. I don't know how many times I get to the general and just see a Republican candidate and no Democrat.

Democrats really need to get into the mix at the lower levels because their farm system, to steal a sports term, is beyond depleted at this point.
You'll often be surprised if you look downballot, especially in midterms, how many local positions have something like "choose not more than seven" and only five people are running.

You could basically just pay the fee, write yourself in and have a good chance at getting elected. Assuming that's the easiest way to be a legitimate candidate, in some states it's cheaper to get on the ballot itself.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I''m gonna die on the fucking battlefield. So sick of us not showing up to shit. I know the mid-terms are hard but fuck that.

I'm trying to convince more than one smart/respectable friend to run for small offices.

BowieZ

Banned
Including Utah as a "most likely to flip" seat shows you how bad of map it is for the D's.
It's bad, but it could be worse. Orrin Hatch is retiring. There's also a lot of dirt on him. And his opponent got practically ZERO donations in 2012.

If you guys want to flip the Utah seat, you need to find about 450,000 voters in Utah who will show up in 2018 to be likely to win. 280,000 voted Democrat in the 2012 midterms. You need 170,000 more. No mean feat, but there's 3 million residents to play with.

Kas

I'm going to make sure I can get everyone I know to get out and vote. I don't care how they vote, so long as they're involved and they're taking an interest in the process. This apathy is fucked up and I'm sick of it.

Brakke

Banned
I'm going to do the same thing I do every election: vote. But I live in Washington state, and western Washington state at that, so it's not like my vote will add any progressives on the national level. We're already doing everything we can.

Then again, my district's representatives in the state house are both republicans, and that bothers me. I may look into volunteering for one of their opponents/Dems in general. Depends on what else I have going on then, I suppose.

I knocked more than a thousand doors during GOTV in Seattle this cycle. It's great. You see some new neighborhoods, meet some people; aside from being important and worthwhile, it's just a really pleasant way to spend a weekend morning.

If you (or anyone) is worried about it being stressful or argumentative or whatever, you could volunteer on the "sporadic voters" side, where you end up with a list of known Democrats who don't vote regularly. Then the job is super easy since you're pushing turnout from sympathetic if disengaged people. No arguments or hostility. I partnered up with a couple reluctant volunteers and took them on that beat to get their feet wet.

FZZ

Banned
Fuck my friends who didn't even bother to vote because we live in california and our "votes don't count"

I will pester and annoy them until they do fucking vote

Midterms are our voice against the oppressor

Fuck hate

I'm voting

benjipwns

Banned
Fuck my friends who didn't even bother to vote because we live in california and our "votes don't count"

Fuck hate

I'm voting
They aren't exactly wrong, it's not like California isn't going to elect Democrats to everything. The Senate race was two Democrats running against each other. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gubernatorial one turns out that way.

BowieZ

Banned

Fuck hate

I'm voting

I knocked more than a thousand doors during GOTV in Seattle this cycle. It's great. You see some new neighborhoods, meet some people; aside from being important and worthwhile, it's just a really pleasant way to spend a weekend morning.

If you (or anyone) is worried about it being stressful or argumentative or whatever, you could volunteer on the "sporadic voters" side, where you end up with a list of known Democrats who don't vote regularly. Then the job is super easy since you're pushing turnout from sympathetic if disengaged people. No arguments or hostility. I partnered up with a couple reluctant volunteers and took them on that beat to get their feet wet.

I'm going to make sure I can get everyone I know to get out and vote. I don't care how they vote, so long as they're involved and they're taking an interest in the process. This apathy is fucked up and I'm sick of it.

I''m gonna die on the fucking battlefield. So sick of us not showing up to shit. I know the mid-terms are hard but fuck that.

I'm trying to convince more than one smart/respectable friend to run for small offices.

Will see where I am working. Will Probably volunteer for the democrats. And vote of course.

Vote. I might volunteer if I can but I dunno if it'll be possible by that time due to personal reasons related to mental health and lacking access to transportation, among other things. I'll do whatever I can.

I actually helped a friend long ago run for House in MO.

If you put a great effort into it they might find them...

Anyway he got like 500 votes and did absolutely nothing in the district.

Vote at all levels.

For your mayors, gocernors, coucillors, sheriffs, DAs, Senators, Reps, State reps.

If you want to stop the federal gerrymander you have to vote at state level too.

the fuck? we know exactly how many Dem/Rep seats are up and we know exactly which Governorships are up and how redistricting in 2020 is going to affect elections for another decade.

Go out and register voters for you local democratic party. The 2018 midterms started yesterday.

I'm gonna fucking vote like a fucking patriot.

Red state be damned, Georgia is getting blue senators and representatives (assuming I still live here, otherwise I'm going to redeem my home state of Florida).

Encourage and annoy everyone to vote.

I stayed almost completely apolitical on stuff like Facebook cause I didn't wanna be stirring up anything.

Fucking done doing that. I don't care if I get defriended or blocked by some. Gonna push the hell outta 2018 to take back branches away from our president-elect clown and the GOP.

I see that voting is not enough. I'll think of something.

I always vote and I don't feel like that's enough anymore. I kind of want to get involved in my city's politics though my job kind of gets in the way (I work evenings). But I feel deep down that I want to help people somehow and I'm starting by donating to the Southern Poverty Law Center monthly. Shit's going to be bad, I can't help much, but I can help dammit.

Reelect my Democratic Representative and donate money to candidates running for flippable seats.

Voting and tell everyone around me to vote as well.

I'm not American but I'm gonna remind y'all to vote.
Love the enthusiasm, people!

But we need MORE!!

TreIII

I am at least glad that in Maryland, Mikulski's seat still stayed blue.

I'll do whatever I can to help the governor's office go back to blue, as well.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'm still pissed. I want to keep talking about this. This thread should be bigger.

I own a video production company, I'm already planning a small "get out the vote" campaign for mid-terms.

Would there be any value in like, a petition demanding the DNC find a way to #LeaveNoSeatUnchallenged?

I'm just talking out loud here. I'm so fucking frustrated with supposed liberals not being active and then bitching about their options.

vainya

Neo Member
While the US house and senate races are great and all, we need to turn local state governorships, assemblies, and senates blue. This is Obama's post presidential project and it should be all of our projects. If the assemblies and senates are blue, it makes redistricting easier.

Republicans figured this out early with their whole Project Red Mapp thing. We need a blue version of that.

I live in NJ where we will soon be voting for Chris Christie's replacement next year for whatever reason. I expect to vote in that election and the mid-terms and every election thus. I'd like to be more active with the state Democratic Committee, but they rarely hold events for young Democrats.

KillerBEA

I have already started talking about the importance of the 2018 mid term to friends and co workers. I got one person on board and got dissenting comments about talking about elections again already. Sorry I care :?

Hey, 2018 is more than just Senate and House. Governorships and state legislature are gonna be up for play too.

Election day isn't a tetraannual or biannual event. Its an annual event, a d even in 2017 there are going to be local positions everyone needs to get out and vote for

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well going to attend all the demonstrations I can. Going to a solidarity event in SF tomorrow and heading to an organizing event right after.

GOP has 8 senate seats up in 2018
Dems have 23 Senate seats up in 2018

36 States will have gubernatorial seats open
--27 are retiring/term limit Republicans

All 435 House seats are open

Dems need to regain state office to be in power after the 2020 census. It looks bad for Democrats on a national level but with GOP controlling Presidency and Congress voters are more likely to rebalanced the scales.

If they bother to show up.

I always vote, but I'm thinking of volunteering and donating for the first time for the Democratic Party. I will be moving back from California to the Chicago suburbs of Illinois. Hopefully by 2018, I'll have a better IT job as well to help with the donation money. I'm kind of scared though as I have anxiety about making phone calls or going door to door. Maybe I can help in other ways such as IT, like helping people stay secure. Kind of sickening to hear that the Dems could have avoided some of the hackings' if they had used two factor authentication and didn't fall for phishing emails.

jfkgoblue

2016 was supposed to be the year that Dems took the Senate, but they were also expected to lose it in 2018.

This is gonna require a major outreach to the white working class. There is a very good chance that Republicans end of with 60+ seats in the senate and with a Republican president, they will be able to do absolutely anything they want and there will be nothing democrats can do to stop it.

Trump was able to completely change the map. At this point I honestly believe that the progressive movement in the US is dead for a generation, but that can change if democrats find a way to do well in 2018. Democrats need to find a way to motivate their base to get out and vote in 2 years, but I just don't see it happening. Defending 24 seats MANY of which are in (now) red states will be very difficult and there is a very good possibility that Republicans pick up the 9 seats required for a supermajority.

The thing is, if Obama was unable to convince Democrats to go out and vote in the midterms, then who will be able too? Dems need something to spark it, and I just don't know what that could be.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
If you wanna generate change, ignore the internet and cover real ground.

Meet real people of all walks of life and talk to them.

Less hashtags, more miles on your shoes.

PS: that's what I do, and while I do dread campaigns because of the physical toll they take on you, the difference is palpable.

Fades

Banned
I'm Canadian, so I cannot vote myself, but I'm absolutely going to take a far more active role in social media by encouraging my American friends and family to vote, including doing the research myself and providing education and the means to do further research themselves as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom