• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baten Kaitos II and Xenosaga III, what's better ?

Abel

My pick is Xenosaga Episode III because it was amazing! and since beating XS Ep 3, I have been playing BK2/BKO and its a pretty fun and sweet game in its own right, a lil below Ep 3 but still really awesome :D (and all the improvements in the 2nd BK game make it all the much more enjoyable :)).

dili

ivysaur12 said:
You can just go to hell.
I love you too. :D

I agree with those who say that if you didn't like X1,then you will not like X3.

And Bebpo,I loved Xenosaga II also. :) I guess that makes 2 people in this thread that loved it. ;)

X2 gets too much undeserved hate

Abel

Yea I loved XS II as well
thought it was better than ep I *runs* :lol though Ep I was great too!
The misguided bandwagon hate for it is unfortunate.

dili

Abel said:
My pick is Xenosaga Episode III because it was amazing! and since beating XS Ep 3, I have been playing BK2/BKO and its a pretty fun and sweet game in its own right, a lil below Ep 3 but still really awesome :D (and all the improvements in the 2nd BK game make it all the much more enjoyable :)).
Agreed X3 is amazing but

Zarathustra was too easy for a final boss :(. I expected much harder for the finale of the Xenosaga series. Or maybe I was just too good? :)

Abel

Yea if
you're overleveled due to side questing or use cheap means such as Erde Kaiser Sigma to take him out then yea its easy, but if you fight him normally he's sorta tough :lol I decided to beat him normally cuz I wanted the satisfaction of it rather than a copout like the Erde Kaiser Sigma ether because where is the fun in that :D?

Finaika

Bebpo said:
And just to piss Error off cause he's being a himuro these days: Valkyrie Profile was the most overated rpg of all of last gen. It was a good 8/10 game but it got hyped beyond belief and somehow it's the holy grail of 10/10 gameplay despite a terribly paced story full of holes, a fairly mash-friendly simple battle system, cheapass bosses that require the guts system abuse that breaks the game, and an ost that has like 5 good songs yet everyone thinks it's Sakuraba's finest (hint: It's not. See BK1 / VP2 / TotA). VP2 no doubt will become this generations most overrated rpg as again it's an 8/10 game with a terrible story filled with awful characters for 75% of it, extremely linear, boring and terribly designed dungeons, and a mash-friendly battle system that tricks everyone into thinking fun + fast = deep & strategical. Both are good games, but in both generations there are about 10-20 better rpgs that stand above them. Hell, BK2 is better than VP2.
Aw heck you mean Xenosaga Episode III is better than Valkyrie Profile 2? Damn I ordered the wrong game then!

Tabris

To Error2k4 and anyone else that replied to my post:

Okay, yes, I have played Baten Kaitos 2. I haven't sold my Gamecube yet but I am trying to get rid of it. Why? Because I'm buying a Wii at launch. Which you wouldn't realize because you've already stereotyped me and a bunch of other people in this thread. I've only played around 2 hours so far, thus why I haven't made an opinion on which is better in this thread as I don't actually know.

Just like you don't actually know which is better Error2k4. Same with Dragona and Drinky. Not until you've played Xenosaga Episode III enough to form an un-biased opinion.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Finaika said:
Aw heck you mean Xenosaga Episode III is better than Valkyrie Profile 2? Damn I ordered the wrong game then!
never, specially if you played VP1.

dont even compare VP2 to that filth. VP2 is godly.

Tabris

Actually, nevermind. My original post here serves the purpose but error2k4 will continue posting ignorant posts re: Episode III.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I said that because if he enjoyed VP1 no way in hell should he go with Ep3 instead of VP2.

and my last comment it's because choosing Ep3 over VP2 is silly.

Tabris

Error2k4 said:
I said that because if he enjoyed VP1 no way in hell should he go with Ep3 instead of VP2.

omg! you're just not getting it. How can it be silly when you haven't tried Ep3?

I've played all 3 games. I own the original VP on PSOne and PSP. I'm a huge tri-ace fan and have loved all their games except for SO3 cause of that messed up twist near the end. The original VP is my 4th or 5th favorite PSOne RPG.

I still would consider Xenosaga Episode III better than the Valkyrie Profile series. I make that judgement from an educated view as I've played all 3. You can't make the same kind of judgement as you haven't.

Bebpo

Banned
Don't bother arguing with Error. When he decides something it's set in stone even if he hasn't played the games he's talking about.

Eh?

I'm not declaring it, though. I'm just saying "yeah didn't like too hot maybe I'm right" of some sort. It's not like I made it fact.

plus, I'll get every single one of them anyway and at least give them a try to see if I shift impressions from what I've seen and read

I like good RPGs. Xenosaga 3 is by no means a good RPG. It's yet more miserably-penned animu fanservice with no real dungeon design or combat depth. For all its flaws -- and there ARE plenty -- I'd take a million VP2s over refuse like XS3.

Remember, J-GAF is just a sad collection of animu fanboys who bind their incredibly basic RPG preferences in the sticky saran wrap of narrow genre experience. At they end of the day, they just want derivative animu plots and lolis uber alles; and decent mechancs be completely and utterly damned. They judge an RPG based on how many genre cliches it railguns into their underdeveloped little pleasure centers.

BK2 is so far beyond XS3 the distance is measurable in ****in' parsecs.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The longer I play BK2, the more I'm liking it. The masterful localization (The giant gorilla throwing barrels and stealing wenches line :lol :lol :lol) and voice-acting is all the more shocking compared to the shitjob that was the first.

dili

Drinky Crow said:
I like good RPGs. Xenosaga 3 is by no means a good RPG. It's yet more miserably-penned animu fanservice with no real dungeon design or combat depth. For all its flaws -- and there ARE plenty -- I'd take a million VP2s over refuse like XS3.

Remember, J-GAF is just a sad collection of animu fanboys who bind their incredibly basic RPG preferences in the sticky saran wrap of narrow genre experience. At they end of the day, they just want derivative animu plots and lolis uber alles; and decent mechancs be completely and utterly damned. They judge an RPG based on how many genre cliches it railguns into their underdeveloped little pleasure centers.

So then you haven't played Xenosaga ep3.

I have indeed played it, thanks to you ****s telling me it wasn't like Xenosaga 1. It *was* indeed better, but I also considered Xenosaga 1 one of the worst RPGs ever made, if not -the- worst one I've ever played.

ivysaur12

Banned
BorkBork said:
The longer I play BK2, the more I'm liking it. The masterful localization (The giant gorilla throwing barrels and stealing wenches line :lol :lol :lol) and voice-acting is all the more shocking compared to the shitjob that was the first.

That line DEFINATELY wasn't in the JP version. It made me lauch. And bomb shelter line. Oh ****, Guillo and Milly are just all sorts of awesome.

Tellaerin

Drinky Crow said:

What can I say, Drinky? Some of us prefer a little more to our RPG's than a threadbare plot wrapped around a glorified spreadsheet with a graphical frontend (ideally featuring Frazetta-ish, in-your-face Western fantasy art) to give the player a vague pretext for the rampant stat-whoring 'gameplay'. That's the impression you give when it comes to your preferences, and hey, if that's what you enjoy, more power to you. I may think that a lot of the games you (and others) enjoy are poorly-designed shit created to appeal to a niche audience of obsessive-compulsive number-jugglers, but I don't make a point of going out of my way to trumpet this fact in every ****ing thread where said games are mentioned. It would be nice if we could say the same about you.

From one old man to another: Your humor's getting a bit past its shelf date. Might be time to think about retiring.

MoxManiac

Tellaerin said:
What can I say, Drinky? Some of us prefer a little more to our RPG's than a threadbare plot wrapped around a glorified spreadsheet with a graphical frontend (ideally featuring Frazetta-ish, in-your-face Western fantasy art) to give the player a vague pretext for the rampant stat-whoring 'gameplay'. That's the impression you give when it comes to your preferences, and hey, if that's what you enjoy, more power to you. I may think that a lot of the games you (and others) enjoy are poorly-designed shit created to appeal to a niche audience of obsessive-compulsive number-jugglers, but I don't make a point of going out of my way to trumpet this fact in every ****ing thread where said games are mentioned. It would be nice if we could say the same about you.

From one old man to another: Your humor's getting a bit past its shelf date. Might be time to think about retiring.

I think Drinky would be more receptive to a story-driven RPG if it didn't entirely consist of repulsive animu drivel

I don't need Western art, and I don't need spreadsheets. I'll take solid writing and decent characterizations when they're provided. What I really dislike are plots and characters pinched from the rotting colon of animu cliches -- like that of Xenosaga and the Tales games.

Tellaerin

Drinky Crow said:
I don't need Western art, and I don't need spreadsheets. I'll take solid writing and decent characterizations when they're provided. What I really dislike are plots and characters pinched from the rotting colon of animu cliches -- like that of Xenosaga and the Tales games.

You're entitled to your opinion when it comes to stories in games, even though I disagree - hell, I've heard a lot stranger around here. (Like someone dubbing the Mad TV-quality humor in the GTA games 'brilliant satire'. Those games are fun, sure, but Jonathan Swift they ain't.) What I'm tired of is watching you use your complaints about a given game as a jumping-off point to rip on your usual targets, namely the fans of 'animu' (I really want to take a sledgehammer to the balls of whoever came up with that little neologism) or otherwise Japanese-influenced art and storytelling in games.

For all the bitching I hear about the plot and characterization in Japanese-developed games, I still find them a hell of a lot more compelling than those in most Western titles, anime cliches and all. (And unlike you, I don't find those cliches any more offensive than the ones that predominate in Western games - though I guess many of those pass unnoticed because everyone's so used to them that they don't give them a second glance.)

The characters in the Tales games appeal to me - they hit my personal hotbuttons for 'cute' or 'cool' better than a lot of Western characters (who embody Western cliches) do. Y'see, I don't think it's painfully embarassing to watch characters saying things that are earnest or sweet or involve standing up for what they believe in, all of which are written off by a lot of folks in the West nowadays as 'corny' or 'saccharine'. Likewise, I enjoy the Xenosaga games - the characters and their stories caught my interest, the plot raises some genuinely thought-provoking points, and the scenario writers actually seemed to have a passing acquaintance with real-world science, philosophy, and religion. (Most of the Western sf games I've played read like the authors learned what little they knew of those things from Star Trek/Star Wars, and would probably think 'Gnostics' were the furry little tree dudes at the end of Jedi. :p) There are a couple of notable exceptions (I can't praise Deus Ex enough), but they're too few and too far between. Hell, even Wild ARMs 4 - not the deepest story in a jRPG by any stretch of the imagination - still made a few interesting points about representative democracy as part of the narrative. I generally don't get that sense of a deeper subtext from Western-made titles, and whether or not you think it's trite or hackneyed, I happen to like it in my RPG's.

You don't enjoy those things? No problem - there are games out there for all tastes. I think you can enjoy them without appointing yourself arbiter of good taste and heckling the poor benighted fanboys who don't share your opinions.

Finaika

Error2k4 said:

Actually I never played VP1, but I did enjoyed Star Ocean: Till the End of Time so I'm interested in Tri-Ace's latest offering.

I did finished Xenosaga Episode 1, great game imo, but haven't even started Episode 2 yet...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Drinky Crow said:
I have indeed played it, thanks to you ****s telling me it wasn't like Xenosaga 1. It *was* indeed better, but I also considered Xenosaga 1 one of the worst RPGs ever made, if not -the- worst one I've ever played.

Hahaha, for all the constant, rabid hate you've given the Xeno-series throughout the years, now you're telling us you actually PLAYED the third game anyway? Hilarious, you're like the biggest (vocal) Xeno hater around here, and you STILL play the third game? Even after Xenosaga ep 1 being "one of the worst RPGs ever made"? Either you're just making shit up, or you're really in dire need of decent (from your perspective, that is) games to play. :lol

Fady K

When it comes to RPGs the most important thing for many is the story, and for those of u who played both games...i have a feeling most of u will pick Xenosaga III if story is the biggest factor.

But like Bebpo said, XSIII also has great gameplay. Im a Xenosaga nut, and i seriously think the gameplay in 3 far surpasses the firsts'.

ivysaur12

Banned
Fady K said:
When it comes to RPGs the most important thing for many is the story, and for those of u who played both games...i have a feeling most of u will pick Xenosaga III if story is the biggest factor.

But like Bebpo said, XSIII also has great gameplay. Im a Xenosaga nut, and i seriously think the gameplay in 3 far surpasses the firsts'.

Many may not agree with you. See, I love Xenosaga's story as much as the next guy, but if you don't like religious overtones and a bunch of random organizations that you have to keep looking back into the database to remember, it's not for you.

Fady K

ivysaur12 said:
Many may not agree with you. See, I love Xenosaga's story as much as the next guy, but if you don't like religious overtones and a bunch of random organizations that you have to keep looking back into the database to remember, it's not for you.

Yeah, you're right. I did forget to mention the commitment u need in order to get the story properly. Even as a major Xenosaga freak, i still have to look over the database!

Fady K

ivysaur12 said:

Yeah, you're right. I did forget to mention the commitment u need in order to get the story properly. Even as a major Xenosaga freak, i still have to look over the database! Though I enjoy it.

Speaking of the plot, ive been hearing about this book called Xenosaga 3 complete guide or something that has a lot of interesting plot details. Anyone? (Thanks in advanc)

Top Bottom