• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baten Kaitos II and Xenosaga III, what's better ?

reriel

this fall there are many jrpg releases, but I can't buy all them (money issue) ;__;
so somebody which have played both, can tell what's better (for story, ost, battle system, chara development, difficulty) ?

Bebpo

Banned
Xenosaga Ep3.

But BK2 is a nice improvement on BK (except for the battle system, which is a little better and a little worse at the same time) and a pretty good game too.

Buggy Loop

Oblivion said:
I believe Baten Kaitos II.

I thought everyone hated Xenosaga?

Where the hell you've been? Duckroll and Bebpo both gave positive reviews for Xenosaga III. a 95 from bebpo :eek:

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Another question..

If Xenosaga Ep3 is supposedly good, should I bother tracking down the first two?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
speedpop said:
Another question..

If Xenosaga Ep3 is supposedly good, should I bother tracking down the first two?
Since the story is connected, yes. But you should probably just read up on Ep.II, it isn't worth playing through.

Dead

well not really...yet
speedpop said:
Another question..

First one sure, if overly long cinematics don't bug you. A lot of customizing of character skills and mechs and a very solid battle system are the notables. Episode 2 throws all of that out the window and overall is just a travesty, so avoid that.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It was kind of a joke post sorry lads :lol

I'm not going anywhere near the first two but may give the 3rd a rental.

ivysaur12

Banned
X3 is a great finish to a series that started off great and had a TERRIBLE middle.

Baten Kaitos origins is just a completely awesome sequel to an awesome game.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I still doubt everyone answering in this thread have played through or even tried both games. As for myself, I have yet to play any of them (although I have played through all the previous games in both series), but they're both on my list to get whenever my substantial backlog of RPGs has been cleaned out. :p

Mashing

Can you skip the abortion that is Xenosaga II and go straight for III? I'd be afraid I'd be missing too much of the story (and as convoluted as Xensosaga stories are that's a big problem).

Beezy

I bet that the most of you hating on one game and praising the other haven't even played both games. -_-

Btw, I plan on picking up Xenosaga 1. If it ends up being as bad as Xenosaga 2(I hate that game with a passion), somebody is gonna die. :mad:

Mashing said:
Can you skip the abortion that is Xenosaga II and go straight for III? I'd be afraid I'd be missing too much of the story (and as convoluted as Xensosaga stories are that's a big problem).
XSII didn't even have much of a story to begin with, so yeah, you can skip it. Just read the summary in the XSIII data viewer.

silenttwn

If you've played XS Ep. I and II already, go for III.

If not, I reccommend Baten Kaitos Origins. While it is a sequel(prequel), you really don't need to know anything about the original to enjoy it. In fact it's kind of better having not played the original, because the world is brand new to you. :)

Without playing the first to Xenosaga's though, III is good fun but a lot of it is going to get lost on you.

Alex

Just about anything is better than Xenosaga. BK2 and VP2 just came out, there's no reason to support filth :p

Diablos

Baten Kaitos II.

I haven't played either one, but I played Xenosaga for about 15 minutes and was completely turned off. I have watched videos of BK2, and it seems a lot better than anything Xenosaga has to offer gameplay-wise.

I guess my opinion rests at "which one would you buy as a noob to both games?" :p

dili

Alex said:
Just about anything is better than Xenosaga. BK2 and VP2 just came out, there's no reason to support filth :p
So then he shouldn't buy Baten Kaitos II,now should he? :)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Error2k4 said:
that guy is full of shit btw.

the story a 2? "the story is cliche" no shit what story isnt cliche it starts slow but once it picks up it an awesome rollercoster. oh and balance 3/10 :lol seemed like the game kicked his arse all over the place and he gave up with the game.

Obviously you didn't take the time to actually read the review.

MoxManiac

Shard said:
Obviously you didn't take the time to actually read the review.

I did. He's wrong. VP1/VP:L left open holes galore everywhere, even with the A ending. It was anything but 100% wrapped up.

lyre

It's pretty obvious that, unless you're one of those 'play games for story' nutjobs, BK2 all the way. Great execution of an interesting take of the typical turn based rpg battle with even better fighting choreography (at least for your three characters).

And on the other hand, we have the 4th attempt at a 'deep and sophisticated plot and its holes' with yet another generic prodding turn based battle system with fanservice of the worst kind. Really, if you're one of those nutjobs, you can save a lot of time by reading this, this, and this.

btw, Street Fighter Alpha 3 plot > Xeno series.

Bebpo

Banned
yudaan said:
It's pretty obvious that, unless you're one of those 'play games for story' nutjobs, BK2 all the way. Great execution of an interesting take of the typical turn based rpg battle with even better fighting choreography (at least for your three characters).

And on the other hand, we have the 4th attempt at a 'deep and sophisticated plot and its holes' with yet another generic prodding turn based battle system with fanservice of the worst kind. Really, if you're one of those nutjobs, you can save a lot of time by reading this, this, and this.

btw, Street Fighter Alpha 3 plot > Xeno series.

Awesome! One more person to add to my "Still wishes he was playing games in the 80s!" list.

PS. Even if you completely pull the entire story out of XS ep3. The battle system + Dungeons >> the majority of your precious "gameplay" rpgs. Hell, the dungeons are better than VP2 or P3.

Top Bottom