• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct |OT|

JrRpTlg.jpg

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SURVIVE?

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct is a first-person action survival game that brings to life the authentic, heart-stopping horrors of the AMC Emmy® award-winning TV series The Walking Dead. In the game, players assume the role of the mysterious, crossbow-wielding survivor Daryl Dixon, brought to life by TV series star Norman Reedus, alongside his overbearing brother Merle, voiced by costar Michael Rooker. Join them on a haunting, unforgiving quest across the Georgia countryside.

Systems: WiiU, PS3, 360, PC

Publisher: Activision
Developer: Terminal Reality

Release dates:
NA March 19, 2013
EU March 22, 2013
AUS March 22, 2013

Screenshots:

Launch trailer: http://youtu.be/dGynAW27XXA

Any word on whether this is any good? I'm not expecting anything like the telltale games, but if it's a semi-interesting first person game in the vein of ZombiU that'd be alright...

Hoodbury

Wait, is this the Walking dead thread or the show off your Luigi hat thread?

edit: boo, dorito pope ruined my theory/joke.

Any word on whether this is any good? I'm not expecting anything like the telltale games, but if it's a semi-interesting first person game in the vein of ZombiU that'd be alright...
I think it might be interesting. It's mostly melee based, you'll have to make decisions about what survivors to take with you and leave behind, and also there will be times where you will choose what path to take through/around the level.

I think it might be interesting. It's mostly melee based, you'll have to make decisions about what survivors to take with you and leave behind, and also there will be times where you will choose what path to take through/around the level.

I actually LOVED Dead Island more than most people did, so I'll keep an eye on this.

ElRenoRaven

Well as mentioned in the older thread I'll be posting thoughts when my WII U copy comes in. Don't expect much but it's cheap and I'm feeling adventurous.

I'll post this here from the other thread:

Well you can do side quests to help people and they will join you, but depending on how many people you have, and the size of your vehicle, you can only take so many. The people are used for gathering item resources. Can pick what to send them off to get. More people you send and the weapon you give them give a better survival rate. You also collect fuel. It appears that everytime you beat a mission, it lets you pick if you want to do three options. The fastest uses the least gas with no chance for stopping. Middle is about average, and back roads take the most gas but more chanes of stopping. Not sure what happens if you run out of gas. The game has random (I think they are random... not sure) points that will say "Hey you can explore this area for supplies" or sometimes stuff like "Hey a car is blocking the road, go the long way or move the car". I don't know how all this effects the story and it seems a bit simplistic but it does add a bit instead of just being a shooter. Which reminds me. This game appears to be more reliant on melee and style. Shoot a gun and you can swarmed... sad thing is, when you get surrouned by a group, you get stuck in this grabbing animation, and sadly keep getting stuck in it unless you kill all the zombies. Unless there is a way to known them back. I don't think the game will be liked by many but it looks to provide something more then just shooting in a genre that usually has just that. Also zombies can bust doors down.

Jawmuncher

Looks decent enough.
Not 50 dollar decent but 20 or less decent. Especially for zombie or WD fans.

I to do have a soft spot for b tier titles so well see how this goes.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'll post this here from the other thread:

Well you can do side quests to help people and they will join you, but depending on how many people you have, and the size of your vehicle, you can only take so many. The people are used for gathering item resources. Can pick what to send them off to get. More people you send and the weapon you give them give a better survival rate. You also collect fuel. It appears that everytime you beat a mission, it lets you pick if you want to do three options. The fastest uses the least gas with no chance for stopping. Middle is about average, and back roads take the most gas but more chanes of stopping. Not sure what happens if you run out of gas. The game has random (I think they are random... not sure) points that will say "Hey you can explore this area for supplies" or sometimes stuff like "Hey a car is blocking the road, go the long way or move the car". I don't know how all this effects the story and it seems a bit simplistic but it does add a bit instead of just being a shooter. Which reminds me. This game appears to be more reliant on melee and style. Shoot a gun and you can swarmed... sad thing is, when you get surrouned by a group, you get stuck in this grabbing animation, and sadly keep getting stuck in it unless you kill all the zombies. Unless there is a way to known them back. I don't think the game will be liked by many but it looks to provide something more then just shooting in a genre that usually has just that. Also zombies can bust doors down.

Sounds like a unique take on the franchise that was likely ruined by being rushed to the market. Damn shame too, because the concept was/is rimming with potential.

Sounds like a unique take on the franchise that was likely ruined by being rushed to the market. Damn shame too, because the concept was/is rimming with potential.
Yeah it sounds like it has not been in development for very long. They probably wanted it to come out before the current season was over.

ElRenoRaven

I'm just surprised people are genuinely interested in it. It looked a like a trashy cash-in game.

Well it's not so much interest in the normal way. You'll find most of us are expecting utter dogshit since there hasn't been a bit of marketing and not so much as a peep PR wise. So most of us are interested in it the same way you're interested in a car wreck when driving by.

Throw in a few of us having some money to waste and well you get a thread that will be fun to read when impressions are given and even then who knows it might surprise us all and be fun.

Quentyn

Don't think there will be reviews tomorrow. From what I saw on Twitter, Activision didn't sent out any advanced copies.

Holy shit that's my man Merle! Now I know I gotta buy this one. Hope he's got changeable arm and stuff. Gatling gun Merle would be oh so cool.

Yawnier

Banned
This game honestly doesn't seem to be as bad as I thought it would be at first, but I don't know.

This is one of those titles that I will probably be able to pick up in a bargain bin for $10 come 6 months from now.

ElRenoRaven

This game honestly doesn't seem to be as bad as I thought it would be at first, but I don't know.

This is one of those titles that I will probably be able to pick up in a bargain bin for $10 come 6 months from now.

Yea that 40 plus minutes of gameplay looked interesting. It's obviously going to be nothing to write home about but it might end up not being total shit. I'm cautiously optimistic.

quick summary of how the game is played since there really aren't any in-depth previews or anything for the game (to add on to what slasher_thrasher21 posted earlier)

At the beginning of a level, if you have any survivors in your group, you can equip them with any weapons you have, heal them (using the same food items you find for yourself during gameplay, since there's no recharging health) and send them out on missions to find extra resources. You can also do some inventory management and move things back and forth between what Daryl carries, and what your vehicle carries. For example, you may want to carry more melee weapons and healing items into a level, so you leave all your ranged weapons in the vehicle (or give them to the aforementioned survivors to use). And of course, you (and your vehicle) only have so many slots to carry items.

Then you enter the level and play as Daryl doing the usual fighting walkers, sneaking around, finding resources, talking to NPCs, etc. It is usually beneficial to play stealthily with melee attacks, since guns attract more walkers, and ammo is relatively rare, but that's up to the player. And sometimes it doesn't hurt to just run.

When you complete the level, you get a summary of any new "recruits"/vehicles you found in the level you just played, and whether the survivors you sent out at the beginning found anything...or died, heh. And if you have too many survivors than can fit in your vehicle, you'll have to kick someone out. New vehicles are found in certain levels if you happen to find certain car keys to pick up. Different vehicles have different amounts of passenger and inventory slots.

Then you can go to your map to pick your next destination. After certain levels, your path can "split", where you basically choose to travel to 1 of 2 main levels (always progressing forward, you can't "travel back" to a different level on the same playthrough), with random smaller levels meant for scavenging popping up along the way during the level load. Of course, walkers will always be hanging around, so you can decide if you want to take the risk of searching for stuff in these levels, or just continue to your main destination. Gas is the main resource in the game, as that's what allows you to travel. The 3 travel options described earlier basically determine how frequent the "road events" pop up. So if you are the type to want to gather as much as possible, you'll pick back roads. If you just want to get to the end of the game quickly, you'll pick highways (but this increases your chance of your car breaking down, which forces you into a level to retrieve a part to repair it). If you run out of gas, you are forced into one of the road events mentioned earlier, and you have to find enough gas cans and then return to your vehicle to continue traveling.

The game is intentionally setup so that you can't play all the levels on one playthrough (there are 16 main levels total, while you can only play about 11-12 of them on any single playthrough). You eventually arrive at your next spot, and then you go through this whole process again, and that's your basic game loop, with story stuff mixed in of course.

Also, hold LB and left/right on the analog stick to lean. RB allows you to shove enemies, which can also break you out of a potential grapple if you do it right when a walker is about to grab you. Don't remember if those things were mentioned in a tutorial screen, heh.

Top Bottom