• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct |OT|

ElRenoRaven

quick summary of how the game is played since there really aren't any in-depth previews or anything for the game (to add on to what slasher_thrasher21 posted earlier)

At the beginning of a level, if you have any survivors in your group, you can equip them with any weapons you have, heal them (using the same food items you find for yourself during gameplay, since there's no recharging health) and send them out on missions to find extra resources. You can also do some inventory management and move things back and forth between what Daryl carries, and what your vehicle carries. For example, you may want to carry more melee weapons and healing items into a level, so you leave all your ranged weapons in the vehicle (or give them to the aforementioned survivors to use). And of course, you (and your vehicle) only have so many slots to carry items.

Then you enter the level and play as Daryl doing the usual fighting walkers, sneaking around, finding resources, talking to NPCs, etc. It is usually beneficial to play stealthily with melee attacks, since guns attract more walkers, and ammo is relatively rare, but that's up to the player. And sometimes it doesn't hurt to just run.

When you complete the level, you get a summary of any new "recruits"/vehicles you found in the level you just played, and whether the survivors you sent out at the beginning found anything...or died, heh. And if you have too many survivors than can fit in your vehicle, you'll have to kick someone out. New vehicles are found in certain levels if you happen to find certain car keys to pick up. Different vehicles have different amounts of passenger and inventory slots.

Then you can go to your map to pick your next destination. After certain levels, your path can "split", where you basically choose to travel to 1 of 2 main levels (always progressing forward, you can't "travel back" to a different level on the same playthrough), with random smaller levels meant for scavenging popping up along the way during the level load. Of course, walkers will always be hanging around, so you can decide if you want to take the risk of searching for stuff in these levels, or just continue to your main destination. Gas is the main resource in the game, as that's what allows you to travel. The 3 travel options described earlier basically determine how frequent the "road events" pop up. So if you are the type to want to gather as much as possible, you'll pick back roads. If you just want to get to the end of the game quickly, you'll pick highways (but this increases your chance of your car breaking down, which forces you into a level to retrieve a part to repair it). If you run out of gas, you are forced into one of the road events mentioned earlier, and you have to find enough gas cans and then return to your vehicle to continue traveling.

The game is intentionally setup so that you can't play all the levels on one playthrough (there are 16 main levels total, while you can only play about 11-12 of them on any single playthrough). You eventually arrive at your next spot, and then you go through this whole process again, and that's your basic game loop, with story stuff mixed in of course.

Also, hold LB and left/right on the analog stick to lean. RB allows you to shove enemies, which can also break you out of a potential grapple if you do it right when a walker is about to grab you. Don't remember if those things were mentioned in a tutorial screen, heh.

That actually sounds really awesome. Wonder what they could have done with a AAA budget. Needless to say you have me actually kind of excited to play this game now.

I have been keeping an eye on this game for a while. That is not saying much since information on this game has been so hard to come by. I am not a fan of the companies decesion to keep the consumer in the dark given that we live in a time where we can practically watch AAA games being built before our eyes.
When I found out it was priced around $40-$50 I was even more worried. Then add in the fact that the screenshots that were released were average at best.
Here is the weird part. I have this calm over me about the game now. I am not expecting the best graphics, bug free, perfectly written game that some say is a standard now. I expect average, and I don't care because I love TWD, zombies, and some of the ideas this game introduces to the player.
Also, Target is buy 2 get 1 free this week. Not a bad deal at all. Monster Hunter WiiU, Gears of War, and this game for free also on my WiiU. Win win.

Meelow

Banned
So I'm confused, it was canned for PC and the trailers don't say a PC version but Steam says a PC version and this thread, so does this mean their will be a PC version or not?

That actually sounds really awesome. Wonder what they could have done with a AAA budget. Needless to say you have me actually kind of excited to play this game now.

full disclosure, I did work on the game, so I'm clearly gonna be biased, lol. Of course, all should feel free to like, love, hate, or meh the game. I just wanted to at least communicate the game's structure now that it's out (well, tomorrow I guess), since I think it's the most interesting thing about it, and I suppose it can be kinda hard to pick up on any of that from a few videos and interviews.

And yes, there is a PC version. The game is out tomorrow on PC/Wii U/360/PS3.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I really want to play this for the Daryl storyline, but not until it's bomba'd.

ElRenoRaven

full disclosure, I did work on the game, so I'm clearly gonna be biased, lol. Of course, all should feel free to like, love, hate, or meh the game. I just wanted to at least communicate the game's structure now that it's out (well, tomorrow I guess), since I think it's the most interesting thing about it, and I suppose it can be kinda hard to pick up on any of that from a few videos and interviews.

Nice of you to disclose that. It's a shame you guys really did not get a huge budget for the game or any real marketing. I do think some of the stuff you guys are trying with it are interesting. I think the biggest reason I've taken a chance was because you guys did a great job on Ghostbusters. Also through the years the studio has made some mildly interesting games. Ironically some of my favorite games in gen's past in fact were made by you guys. Roadkill, 4x4 Evo 1,2, Monster Truck Madness 1,2,

That all said welcome to the thread and hope you have thick skin. It will be fun to get some insight once we've had chances to play it. lol

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
If it doesn't come out a complete technical trainwreck, then I would definitely consider checking it out at a sales price.

mileS

Appreciate the honesty and the info. I will fully admit the first footage I seen a couple months ago left me with 0 interest in the game. I randomly decided to check the other thread today and watched the youtube video from the xbox version and I have to say, I'm actually excited to play. I'm sure I can't be the only one. Anyways.. enough of all that. Thank you again for the info, that peaked my interest even more.

I plan on picking up the PC version. Can you provide any details on that? The steam page doesn't mention anything about controller support, I hope its in there. Thanks for your time.

Nemesis_

Loved the first one.

This should be even better

image.php

PsychoRaven said:
Nice of you to disclose that. It's a shame you guys really did not get a huge budget for the game or any real marketing. I do think some of the stuff you guys are trying with it are interesting. I think the biggest reason I've taken a chance was because you guys did a great job on Ghostbusters. Also through the years the studio has made some mildly interesting games. Ironically some of my favorite games in gen's past in fact were made by you guys. Roadkill, 4x4 Evo 1,2, Monster Truck Madness 1,2,

That all said welcome to the thread and hope you have thick skin. It will be fun to get some insight once we've had chances to play it. lol

Heh, thanks. I worked on Kinect Star Wars as well, so I'm used to pretty much anything the internet can throw at me, haha.

mileS said:
Appreciate the honesty and the info. I will fully admit the first footage I seen a couple months ago left me with 0 interest in the game. I randomly decided to check the other thread today and watched the youtube video from the xbox version and I have to say, I'm actually excited to play. I'm sure I can't be the only one. Anyways.. enough of all that. Thank you again for the info, that peaked my interest even more.

I plan on picking up the PC version. Can you provide any details on that? The steam page doesn't mention anything about controller support, I hope its in there. Thanks for your time.

99.9% sure (barring some crazy mixup) it should support the Xbox 360 controller (no idea about other controller types). I'll have the final version to try out whenever it unlocks tomorrow to confirm, but I played it a few times during development with one...

It'll be a far cry from anything quality.

I'll be absolutely Shocked if review scores are anything close to Infinite next week!

Loaded Man

I didn't have money in the budget for anymore games this month. Already purchased Lego City, NFSMWU, Gears, & Tomb Raider. I wonder why publishers are releasing their Wii U games on the same day in March? It doesn't make sense. In any case, I might get this after a price drop.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I often find enjoyment in budget titles that I don't find in 'AAA' games.
4 Player Co-Oped through the terrible Fantastic Four movie licensed game and had a blast.

But it was really more the social activity that redeemed it. The game itself was definitely nothing to write home about.

I'm curious as to whether this ends up being a so bad it's good situation.

On another thread here I was saying I was excited to play a walking dead FPS as Daryl and someone accused me of working for Activision. lol. Now we have someone here who actually worked on the game. Awesome!

I have 2 questions:

1. Is there any Multiplayer? (Online or split screen)

2. How long should it take someone to get through the campaign?

DrBo42

Watching some walkthroughs on youtube now. Actual combat is awful but the management/travel system is a neat idea. Neat ideas aside, terribly boring. Avoid.

On another thread here I was saying I was excited to play a walking dead FPS as Daryl and someone accused me of working for Activision. lol. Now we have someone here who actually worked on the game. Awesome!

I have 2 questions:

1. Is there any Multiplayer? (Online or split screen)

2. How long should it take someone to get through the campaign?

no multiplayer.

I suck at estimating hours, but it'd probably be your typical FPS campaign length (anywhere from 6-9, depending on how good you are? I'm sure one of our testers could beat it in like 2-3, lol) As mentioned earlier, the game focuses more on replayability, so for example, you technically would have to play through twice to see every level/environment that's in the game. There are also "relics" that unlock depending on what survivors you have when you finish the game, so on subsequent playthroughs you can have increased melee strength, super speed, silenced weapons, etc.

no multiplayer.

I suck at estimating hours, but it'd probably be your typical FPS campaign length (anywhere from 6-9, depending on how good you are? I'm sure one of our testers could beat it in like 2-3, lol) As mentioned earlier, the game focuses more on replayability, so for example, you technically would have to play through twice to see every level/environment that's in the game. There are also "relics" that unlock depending on what survivors you have when you finish the game, so on subsequent playthroughs you can have increased melee strength, super speed, silenced weapons, etc.

If you only take the highways, I take it you will never see the side stops then?

Flunkie

Banned
I'm interested enough in this game to consider dropping 40 bones for the PC version, barring the gunplay being completely awful.

K, so impressions:
Inventory stuff seems cool, graphics are pretty good, not totally smooth framerate, in the first level you can save two survivors, but your car only has space for one of them, dunno why we had to make a choice like that so early, loading times are ok, the diff stats in the melee weapons actually matter so pay attention to those, music from the show, and the intro is just like the show (thought it was awesome)

pretty decent overall

if any one has any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them

SteeloDMZ

Banned
K, so impressions:
Inventory stuff seems cool, graphics are pretty good, not totally smooth framerate, in the first level you can save two survivors, but your car only has space for one of them, dunno why we had to make a choice like that so early, loading times are ok, the diff stats in the melee weapons actually matter so pay attention to those, music from the show, and the intro is just like the show (thought it was awesome)

pretty decent overall

if any one has any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them

Does it feel like a polished product (no glitches, good menus, UI, bugs, etc.) or does it scream budget game?

Does it feel like a polished product (no glitches, good menus, UI, bugs, etc.) or does it scream budget game?

It's not the deepest game, but it does seem very polished (no glitches, simple menus) controls are pretty good too, and having the inventory on the Wii U Gamepad is a godsend

Bluth54

I know you might not be able to answer this (either you don't know or could get in trouble for answering) but do you know if there were ever any plans to have Terminal Reality to make a sequel to Ghostbusters?

Ghostbusters is my favorite movie and I loved the game since it made me feel like a Ghostbuster. I'm still disappointed that we didn't get a real sequel to the game.

MarkusRJR

It's not the deepest game, but it does seem very polished (no glitches, simple menus) controls are pretty good too, and having the inventory on the Wii U Gamepad is a godsend
Does the game give you the option or IR controls? I sat through The Conduit 1 and 2 just because of the great IR controls and would be willing to do the same for this game tbh.

http://translate.google.pl/translat...3-The-Walking-Dead-Survival-Instinct-Recenzja

FINAL SENTENCE
Wondered why there little official information about the game itself, gameplayów and other game-related promo is shown? Already I answer this one official material available somewhere in the American television caused a storm. It concerned the appearance of the game, the author stipulates that the early version of the game, bullshit! This game looks the same as it was then, but more on that later! So simply, the creators did not want to show how this game looks weak because it would not have sold as well as some deer always in sight.

FINAL - 3/10
The game is not worth your money (179 PLN or below $ 40), in addition to the availability of the product in the Polish shops are bad, just a few holds in the range of, well, why do you throw your money down the drain. AMC's The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct is the title of made-for fast, on the well-known license that is catchy and just to cash in on players. I would not recommend this game, even the biggest fans of TWD.

Rootbeer

Banned
Walking Dead and Game of Thrones... two great shows saddled with such mediocre games :/

I'm scared to think of what a Breaking Bad game could turn out like.

ElRenoRaven

Heh, thanks. I worked on Kinect Star Wars as well, so I'm used to pretty much anything the internet can throw at me, haha.

I'll be absolutely Shocked if review scores are anything close to Infinite next week!

Oh sorry to hear that. I feel for you and your resume. It's also good that you realize that this isn't going to going to be rated well probably.

That's good to hear. Also inventory on the gamepad? Cool. I've actually started to go to love that feature almost as much as off screen play.

That's good to hear. Also inventory on the gamepad? Cool. I've actually started to go to love that feature almost as much as off screen play.

Yeah, I guess there's a way to pause and use your items, and there is a button to scroll through the weapons, but having them on the fly is nice, it also shows your ammo on the gamepad as well. I'm actually enjoying the game, but there are no checkpoints, if you die, you restart the level.

Top Bottom