• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct |OT|

I cant wait to pick this up today. Games like this can be fun because they try different things. I can imagine that inventory mgmt and slow approaches/ planning ahead would be the norm in a zombie apocolypse.

Yeah, I guess there's a way to pause and use your items, and there is a button to scroll through the weapons, but having them on the fly is nice, it also shows your ammo on the gamepad as well. I'm actually enjoying the game, but there are no checkpoints, if you die, you restart the level.

can you play it on gamepad-only too? you know, without TV.
The WiiU's Gamepad ability to play games on that thing is godsent for long-time shitters and bed-gamers like me.

will probably get it on friday (EU release date) if it's cheaper than 59.99

can you play it on gamepad-only too? you know, without TV.
The WiiU's Gamepad ability to play games on that thing is godsent for long-time shitters and bed-gamers like me.

will probably get it on friday (EU release date) if it's cheaper than 59.99

There is an option in the Menu that says "Clone Mode" which I assume makes the game identical on the gamepad vs the TV, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll try today and let you know.

Vancha

Can anyone confirm if the Wii U version has off- tv play? I seem interested, but it just looks so...

Edit: And I post this before I read the above comment >_> thanks btw :)

ElRenoRaven

There is an option in the Menu that says "Clone Mode" which I assume makes the game identical on the gamepad vs the TV, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll try today and let you know.

Oh hell yea. If it does then I'm going to have a lot of fun. I love to spend my days off playing games on the pad while I catch up on the DVR.

Shady859

Going to try to rent this for a 1 or 2 nighter from Family Video. Just wanna see how terrible it is.... Will post impressions later if I score a copy while out grabbing GoW this morning.

I forgot all about the off tv play on the Wii U. I was getting that version anyway so I could build my library.

The WiiU is fast becoming the zombie lovers console... lol

Yeah, I guess there's a way to pause and use your items, and there is a button to scroll through the weapons, but having them on the fly is nice, it also shows your ammo on the gamepad as well. I'm actually enjoying the game, but there are no checkpoints, if you die, you restart the level.

weird, there should be checkpoints. They are usually at specific spots, and there might be a couple levels where you can wander around a lot without triggering one (Supply Stop can be guilty of this since it's relatively "non-linear"), but they should be there.

Or you could be referring to the random "road event" levels. Those don't have checkpoints, since they're much smaller than regular levels.

Akira_83

Banned
Im always of an open mind regarding zombie games (ZombiU is like my favorite game this gen) but no reviews or lets play available on youtube yet?

never a good sign

name one game that made it to release day with no coverage or exposure of any form and it turned out great

dont think its ever happened

and indie games dont count, this might not be AAA but its published by Activision and based on the most popular drama show running on tv right now, this is no indie game

weird, there should be checkpoints. They are usually at specific spots, and there might be a couple levels where you can wander around a lot without triggering one (Supply Stop can be guilty of this since it's relatively "non-linear"), but they should be there.

Or you could be referring to the random "road event" levels. Those don't have checkpoints, since they're much smaller than regular levels.

Well, to be fair, I've only played 1.5 main missions lol, but even the 2nd level, I figured it would save once I got in and did some stuff, but I quit out and restarted just to check, and I had to watch the cutscene again and send my party to do stuff again. I also died a few times early in the first level, so there may have been a checkpoint once I did the main objective.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If there really is a PC version, I'll give this a shot when it's under ten dollars. It looks like a giant turd but right now I'm willing to gobble up pretty much anything Walking Dead related.

Vexxan

Does the game look as bad as those trailers did a few weeks ago? Graphics ain't all but it looked pretty much like a PS2 game.

I just got back from Target. The buy 2 get 1 free deal this week is perfect. Picked up Monster Hunter WiiU, Gears of War Judgement, and Survival Instinct WiiU for free... I am happy!

Akira_83

Banned
ok so im watching a lets play of the xbox360 version and im 30 minutes in... looks way better than it has any right being

(terminal reality and activision? ugh...)

still not AAA but basic mechanics seems solid and it could be a nice counterpart to have on the WiiU with ZombiU

ZombiU will be my goto dark souls-esque survival game, then play some survival instinct when i want arcadey zombie action

heres the first video of the lets play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yAr-wBVqp0

SickBoy

I'm interested to see if people seem to enjoy this or not... I think it will -- pretty predictably -- get savaged in reviews even if it's better than expected.

Somewhat interested myself, but I have a huge backlog and three games incoming this month...

Watching the PS3 stream on IGN and it looks appalling.

A bunch of zombies just got stuck on a broken piece of crate on the floor about 2 inches high.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Seems for platinum you have to play twice since you need all-male/all-female survivors for the ending level. :/ Kinda annoying, but I can understand why they did that.

IGN's impressions going by the stream seem to amount to: "This game could be worse." Honestly, I might still check this out at some point. :lol

Steam doesn't list the price for some reason. Are they really asking $50/€50 for this on PC? Game is somewhat appealing in a b-tier sort of way, but yeah, that price would be silly.

PS3 version on the IGN stream?
Runs and looks pretty bad.

Seems for platinum you have to play twice since you need all-male/all-female survivors for the ending level. :/ Kinda annoying, but I can understand why they did that.
According to soul creator you would need to play twice anyway to see all the different levels.

timkunedo

ps3 version seems to run fine for my tastes. Regardless of mixed reviews everything i've seen makes me really want to buy this game. May pick it up tonight.

jmizzal

So far every WiiU multiplate game I have is much better to me for having maps, weapons and other stuff mapped to the gamepad.

Batman, Madden, and Mass Effect 3, not having to pause the game and doing things on the fly on the touch screen is a big deal to me.

dwu8991

Banned
So far every WiiU multiplate game I have is much better to me for having maps, weapons and other stuff mapped to the gamepad.

Batman, Madden, and Mass Effect 3, not having to pause the game and doing things on the fly on the touch screen is a big deal to me.

He here

Yup.

Actually I'm kinda having quite a bit of fun, the levels are fairly big, there's lots to explore and find. And there are enough walkers to make it challenging (there are no difficulty settings).

ElRenoRaven

Yup.

Actually I'm kinda having quite a bit of fun, the levels are fairly big, there's lots to explore and find. And there are enough walkers to make it challenging (there are no difficulty settings).

Hmm. Very interesting. Sounds like I may end up having a blast with it then.

Haunted

Classic licensed B-tier mediocrity.

The release schedule is not so empty that anyone outside of Walking Dead superfans should have to play this to kill time.

So Activision is still enforcing a review embargo, even on the release day???

That's low, even for Activision.

It must be realllllllllly bad if they're desperately trying to hide coverage.

er, is such a thing even possible?
/ancient aliens
I guess early copies didn't go out, but I don't think that's the same as a "review embargo". The game is out now, *shrug*

ElRenoRaven

No they just didn't send any review copies out. So sites are having to buy their own copies.

Top Bottom