• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

noomi

Yeah, you can. I think it's in gameplay options. I can't remember what the toggle is called, but it's definitely there.

Yeah I took a look, the only option I see is to disable sky hook control panel, which is nice too, but I'm talking about the text that says "space - dismount" or "space - attach" when getting on and off of the rails.

DSN2K

game runs perfectly at 1080p 60fps on the automatic "HIGH" with 7850 + Phenom ii 955. very happy with the game visually and the performance is great.

Ithil

So far this game seems like it's extremely well optimized for PCs. Other than excessively old or really under powered cards, I've not heard of many that aren't able to play it ok.

Running the game here with the following:

i5 2500k @4.5ghz
GTX 680 2GB
8GB RAM

Runs at a butter smooth 60fps for me at 1080p, Ultra settings except for SSAO which I kicked down one notch. I expanded the memory pool to 1024 for both memory pool options and I see little to no stuttering at all. Runs beautifully and looks drop dead gorgeous.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Welp I can't play. I try to but it goes to an update window and nothing gets sent to me, the timer goes up and up. I've tried everything I can think of short of removing the game and re DLing it. I've never had this issue. Great job Steam!

neoism

Read my post a few up about it. You're probably adding the dx9 sweetfx files into the folder. Use the DX11. When I realized that I was like, "sigh how did I not realize that." The readme says what you need to add to the folder for it to work.

If it's the two files that are dx9 related, I've removed them already. I'll try again without the configurator. . .
iRXZZEKWRtNu4.png
not sure why mine works with them in there, but I'm only using DX10 so... I also used the SweetFX Configurator.

KingKong

So what are the most framerate intensive settings? Im running ultra with shadows and ao down one notch and Id like the game to be just a little bit smoother

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
not sure why mine works with them in there, but I'm only using DX10 so... I also used the SweetFX Configurator.

Well you've also got the DX10/11 files (dxgi) in there as well. You can remove the d3d9 ones.

Anathem

Neo Member
Seeing reports here and elsewhere that setting bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming to false breaks the scripting in the game and stops you from being able to progress.

I'm way to scared to do this, now.

REV 09

Anyone else getting crashes a lot? Like every. 20 minutes. Game runs well otherwise. Says something like display kernel stopped working.

Gtx 670, i5 760 @3.8

Im getting really weird frame rate drops all over the place in this game. I have a gigabyte 7950, windows 8 and a i5 3570k 4.2 ghz. everything maxed it runs at 60fps but then it drops in certain spots to like 40fps. So i turned everything to low and aa off and it still drops to like 40fps and then shoots back up.

Its quite annoying anyone else having issues? This happens with both locked frame rate on and off .

garath

Anyone else getting crashes a lot? Like every. 20 minutes. Game runs well otherwise. Says something like display kernel stopped working.

Gtx 670, i5 760 @3.8

Sounds like a driver problem. Uninstall the drivers, then install the latest nvidia 314 drivers with the clean install option.

I was getting weird frame stutters but for last 30min or so I haven't experienced any. I am on a 560ti and I did a benchmark which showed I got between 40 to 200 fps which is crazy

Mechazawa

Alright so, I haven't tested it terribly long, but I'm pretty sure this is what finally fixed my stutter issues. (Whatever the effect messing with poolsize was having, it wasn't enough.)

Now the stutters so far seem to just be at super obvious loading points instead of me looking at a different part of the room.

For what it's worth, the information in the link is NOT what was originally there. Someone must have edited the link to have different info.

What worked for me was the following:

Navigate to %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config\.
Locate and open file XEngine.ini in text editor (notepad for example).
Locate option MemoryPools and change the values to 1024.
Locate MinSmoothedFramerate and MaxSmoothedFramerate and set min to 59 and Max to 61

I don't know how effective that smoothed framerate stuff actually is. I'm guessing most of the benefits come from the memory pools thing. But I changed it regardless and it's been easy sailing since.

Chris R

Got above 60 fps average on the benchmark at highest settings, even though low fps was just above 30...

Only thing to fix now is the tearing I saw during the benchmark :(

Derrick01

Banned
Has anyone else been getting random GPU driver crashes since using the new nvidia beta driver? Actually both this one and the last beta one gave me problems with that too. I can't tell if it's just them or if my card is dying.

I had 2 crashes within the last few hours. One while playing this (first time it happened while I was actually playing this game) and one about 10 minutes after I quit playing.

gtx 470 is the card by the way.

Minion101

Banned
Navigate to %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config\.
Locate and open file XEngine.ini in text editor (notepad for example).
Locate option MemoryPools and change the values to 1024.
Locate MinSmoothedFramerate and MaxSmoothedFramerate and set min to 59 and Max to 61

I first started with 1024 and was still getting stutting. Then tried 640 and the game is now smooth (super stutter gone) I guess 1024 didn't work cause my card only has 768 mb of ram not 1 gb? No clue really.

Question about SweetFX.
When I use any sort of anti-aliasing, I get weird pixelated lines on logos and things, but ingame it seems okay. Does anyone else get this? Is it normal?

Has anyone else been getting random GPU driver crashes since using the new nvidia beta driver? Actually both this one and the last beta one gave me problems with that too. I can't tell if it's just them or if my card is dying.

I had 2 crashes within the last few hours. One while playing this (first time it happened while I was actually playing this game) and one about 10 minutes after I quit playing.

I dont know if this helps but on my 560 bf3 and HotS kept crashing on me on the newest drivers. I uninstalled them in safe mode and reinstalled the newest drivers and it fixed my HotS problem. Haven't played bf3 or this since then.

JRW

This game has some strange stuttering issues, sometimes when it stutters I can strafe side to side in the area and the stuttering continues to occur, even if I change the graphic preset to Very Low and disable Vsync the symptom is exactly the same.

GTX 480 (314.22 driver) / i7 920 @ 3.36ghz

STUTTER STUTTER STUTTER.

Jesus christ, I have gtx 680 and 3570k and the game stutters way too much. Seems like it's just continuously loading every time I enter a new place.

Also, I'm hitting my VRAM limit with this game. Seems like that's a problem too..

Really annoying..

I am not an expert on the audio end of things, but you guys could try downmixing if you are using a 2.1 setup or headphones: [LINK]

Courtesy of TheExodu5.

I don't have the game installed at this time, so I can't test it,
Man, I spent like half an hour digging around in my settings trying to find something to do that. Thank you.

Feels like it helped. At very least, it seems to fill in the ambient noise better. Full side-on sound sources are still completely absent in the opposite channel, but at least they seem to pan from side to side better.

Or maybe it's just all psychological. Either way, I'm going with it.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Got above 60 fps average on the benchmark at highest settings, even though low fps was just above 30...

Only thing to fix now is the tearing I saw during the benchmark :(

I found the game to tear like WHOA if you didn't use the fps lock in the game's settings.

Plumbob

Hey I posted this earlier but no response.

I have a really weird problem: when I click my left mouse button my gun won't shoot! Or it will shoot but only inconsistently. Sometimes I have to click 10-15 times to get a first shot. Anyone know if this is an issue with PC?

Are you seeing iehighutil.exe in the Task Manager?

Derrick01

Banned
I dont know if this helps but on my 560 bf3 and HotS kept crashing on me on the newest drivers. I uninstalled them in safe mode and reinstalled the newest drivers and it fixed my HotS problem. Haven't played bf3 or this since then.

Well just to clarify it's not just the games that crash for me, it's the actual drivers apparently. My screen goes black and then it recovers after a few seconds and I get a pop up on the bottom right saying driver (insert number here) crashed and recovered.

ctw0e said:
Are you seeing iehighutil.exe in the Task Manager?

Nope. I remember reading about that on here though, isn't that caused by a java exploit? I don't have that on my PC at all anymore thankfully but that being said I run a full malwarebytes scan like every other day and nothing comes up.

Well just to clarify it's not just the games that crash for me, it's the actual drivers apparently. My screen goes black and then it recovers after a few seconds and I get a pop up on the bottom right saying driver (insert number here) crashed and recovered.

Man I suffered driver crashes for like 5 months and about a month ago I went back to the ones right after dishonored came out and my stuff has been running good and stable with everything since I am on a 560ti here

hlhbk

There were rumours that there was a high res texture pack coming due to the minimum hard drive space being 20 GB and the recommended being 30 GB. Did this ever come to pass or was it just hot air?

JRW

Check for a C:\Temporary directory, if you have this then you're most likely infected with a bitcoin mining virus, clear that up and the GPU crashes will stop, If you need help let me know.

Derrick01

Banned
Check for a C:\Temporary directory, if you have this then you're most likely infected with a bitcoin mining virus, clear that up and the GPU crashes will stop, If you need help let me know.

Well I have a folder called temp but not Temporary. All it has is an empty Nvidia folder that was modified on the 25th (the date I got these new beta drivers). Although on the main C page it says it was last modified 9/13/12.

edit: I went back to that thread we had about that malware to double check and it does say you get it via Java which I haven't had on my PC in many months now. I don't think it's that malware, probably just bad drivers or a failing gpu.

Eyothrie

STUTTER STUTTER STUTTER.

Jesus christ, I have gtx 680 and 3570k and the game stutters way too much. Seems like it's just continuously loading every time I enter a new place.

Also, I'm hitting my VRAM limit with this game. Seems like that's a problem too..

Really annoying..

OC'd 680 and 3820@4.1 here. I've tried changing to the pool sizes mentioned in this thread, but nothing fixes the framedrops when getting to these 'loading' areas. And, yep, its really annoying. I almost can't handle it, because the game runs super smooth otherwise.

Edit: I'm wondering if this is something that can be corrected with a new driver...

legacyzero

Banned
Since Inspector was nice enough to change how it words things.. FUCK.. How do I use this thing now? What's everybody using to force good AA and IQ

seldead

nooooo, don't tell me poolsize is causing the game to fuck up. I set it to 800 and all my stuttering went. Though I did have 1 moment where there seemed to be an invisible wall in an incidental room, I thought nothing of it and kept playing. What's the verdict boys and girls? Is everyone setting it back to 400 now?

Some shots with and without my SweetFX as a comparison. Didn't go near vibrance as the game doesn't need it. Just sharpen and contrast, I think it's needed because without it there is a sort of bleachy whiteness to the image. But I understand if people think it's a little too dark and crushing blacks. I think it makes some textures pop more like cracks on walls

bioshockinfinite2013032t.png

bioshockinfinite2013032f.png
bioshockinfinite2013032x.png
bioshockinfinite2013032.png

Lulubop

Averaging 80-100 FPS on a single 680 at 1080p, everything maxed besides shadows (very High) with Smaa injector.

Runs great aside for the Unreal slowdown, no noticeable tearing since I have a 144ghz monitor. Feels good.

XenoRaven

I played yesterday with no major issues apart from some framerate dips. I updated my drivers after playing and then tried again today. My screen starts flashing blue right when I load up the game and stops when I close it. I tried reinstalling the drivers and did a clean install and it's still doing it. Anyone know what's going on?

Top Bottom