• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

How to push the HUD off screen:

XGame.ini
Change:

[XCore.XScreenManager]
bUseDefaultSafeRect=true
SafeRectX0=0
SafeRectY0=0
SafeRectX1=1920
SafeRectY1=1200
MaxDefaultSafeRectAspectRatio=1

To:

[XCore.XScreenManager]
bUseDefaultSafeRect=false
SafeRectX0=0
SafeRectY0=0
SafeRectX1=3840
SafeRectY1=2400
MaxDefaultSafeRectAspectRatio=1

And thus the HUD elements were pushed off-screen.
(Aside from the crosshair but it's just a dot when the weapon is lowered.)

Credit goes to JonasBeckman on Guru3D. I'd set the values well beyond whatever you're actually playing at.

-PXG-

sli users, I have better performance using 0x0C1902F5.

I'll try this.

I have literally eliminated stuttering on my rig. I disabled the background streaming, set poolsize to 1024 and set the smooth fps to 59-61.

EDIT

I also set set maximum pre-rendered frames to 1, in inspector.

Chili

I'll try this.

I have literally eliminated stuttering on my rig. I disabled the background streaming, set poolsize to 1024 and set the smooth fps to 59-61.

I would not recommend this. It can break the game by not allowing objects to stream in to the game. I solved it mostly by changing the MemoryPools sizes (not just the PoolSize).

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I'll try this.

EDIT

I also set set maximum pre-rendered frames to 1, in inspector.

What happens if you change the poolsize back to default? Notes in the default ini suggest the tweak doesn't actually do anything. Disabling background streaming apparently breaks the game's scripting, so you may want to watch that.

-PXG-

I would not recommend this. It can break the game by not allowing objects to stream in to the game. I solved it mostly by changing the MemoryPools sizes (not just the PoolSize).

I encountered one issue early in the game where you meet the couple with the coin toss and chalk board. I simple turned streaming back on, walked back and they loaded just fine. Since then, I've had streaming off and haven't had issues.

Elizabeth doesn't have a shadow sometimes, but I think that is just a common glitch, or maybe since I changed the shadow resolution in the ini.

That's my global default setting across all games. Maybe that's why I'm not seeing the stuttering.

I might set it to 3 and see what happens

EDIT

Have you guys changed this?

[MemoryPools]
FLightPrimitiveInteractionInitialBlockSize=512
FModShadowPrimitiveInteractionInitialBlockSize=512

Has any one successfully juggled two save games?

Latest Update:

It would seem that I messed things up when juggling saves because I backed up everything in the 8870 directory.

http://www.gamefront.com/bioshock-infinite-multiple-savegames-workaround-guide/

I used a secondary hard drive as a test and as long as you back up the saves in the savedata folder (make sub directories within) it will work. At least it did with me so *fingers crossed* this is a way of juggling the saves (just at the above link states).

Update 2: Whenever the game saves, it drops out to the desktop with the error message:

Unknown Read/Write error

Clicking OK sends me back to the game and the save seems okay. It does ruin the experience a bit.

Running @ 1440p down-sampled to 1080p at mostly ultra (shadows and AO on high, normal post-processing) settings. Getting a pretty solid 60fps with that, had two crashes to desktop over four hours so that's not too bad. Getting small stutters between areas but nothing immersion breaking.

i7 3770k @ 4ghz
GTX670 2GB

This game is wearing my screen shot key out. Goddam. Best looking game this gen, simply for art style and lighting.

bobeth

What vsync solution works best for you guys? Are the options included in the game working fine, or should I go straight to using D3Overrider?

LiK

I decided to stick with the default Ultra settings. Plays fine with no major issues. Zero crashing although I was playing with older Nvidia drivers. Just updated last night and I hope I don't have any issues.

I have to say that I don't plan on tweaking with the visual settings unless I do a replay. The way they frame the perspective of the levels and some interiors are amazing and I wonder if fucking with that will ruin it. That includes lighting and whatever else you can alter. In any case, beautiful game and amazing art direction. For some reason I love the look of the clothing textures. They actually look like fabric and that impresses me.

garath

I did some benchmarking last night after updating my Nvidia drivers.

i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz
ASUS 660ti OC

Normal was through the roof. Min framerate 60 or so, average in the 150s
High was good. Min framerate in the 50s and only in the first part of the benchmark. Average around 120.
Normal custom with high textures was worse than plain High. Go figure
Very High wasn't too good. Min frames in the 20s, average frames in the low 70s.
Ultra was actually a bit better than Very High (maybe the DX11 stuff is better optimized). Min frames in the 30s, average in the low 80s.

I could probably play in Ultra but I don't want to be distracted by frame drops below 60 so I'm just leaving it on High for now.

Pretty impressive performance though.

noomi

Wonder if that's what is crashing my 670.

Yeah, same here pal. It seems that 2GB cards just won't cut it these days anymore. Only reason I opted for a 2GB card in the first place is because I never go over a 1080p resolution. Many people have said that more than 2GB VRAM is a waste if your not going higher than 1080p+ resolutions.

Really wish I would have just gotten a 4GB card now.

Either way, here's to hoping a future patch will help the high VRAM usage, but I really doubt it since the textures are what they are :(

Aranath

I'm running a 3570k @ 4.2 with a 7970 Ghz at 1440p with everying set to ultra, bar shadows (very high - which I prefer the look of). I'm getting a constant 60 with V-sync enabled. I was getting stuttering before turning down the shadows and setting the pool size higher, which seems to have all but eliminated it, thankfully. So far it's running smooth as silk. I must say, after doing a shot-by-shot comparison of the post processing effects, I greatly prefer normal to alternate. The background shots of Columbia in the distance look so much worse with alternate.

My only issue so far is trying to get the SweetFX configurator to work for SMAA injection. It doesn't seem to do jack when I try adding SMAA. I took some screenshots to compare with no SMAA and the in-game anti-aliasing off and another shot with SMAA and no in-game anti-aliasing and they're exactly the same. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here.

I've added the executable in SweetFX, clicked the "Add SweetFX" button, set SMAA to ultra and then launched the game, but it's not doing anything. Any help?

Why do so many people with good gpu's put shadows to very high? Does it have something to do with bad lod of some shadows when you approach them?

I've also noticed that the game constantly stutters about every second or so. You can notice it by not moving your mouse and just holding down a movement key to see the jerk every once a second.
There doesn't seems to be any visible difference between Very High and Ultra shadows, so you might as well just take the small performance bump you get from dialing them down a notch.

Personally, I like the look of the High setting shadows better than either of the others. They're sharper, which I think fits better with the bright, high contrast palette. Also, they don't have the annoyingly hard-edged LOD dropout like the the higher settings.

The stuttering is getting really annoying and the poolsize tweak doesn't do shit. This and Tomb Raider are prime examples as to why PC gaming isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

I solved the problem by changing "bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=true" to "bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false" in the XEngine.cfg file (Documents\My Games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config) and then setting it to read only.

Never messed with the poolsize.

Truant

I solved the problem by changing "bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=true" to "bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false" in the XEngine.cfg file (Documents\My Games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config) and then setting it to read only.

This is causing various bugs and scripting errors to occur. Several people are reporting story beats not happening because of this. Not recommended.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm playing on my 460 at mostly max settings and have settled for mostly 30fps using the game's v-sync.

Would using triple buffering instead of the built-in vsync prevent it from dropping to 20fps whenever it goes below 30fps?

If yes, can I do that with the Nvidia Control Panel is there some other preferred way?

I'm playing with a controller, by the way, so mouse lag won't be an issue.

Game seems to run decently at very high on my old ass c2q q9550 new 7870xt. Weird hitches here and there though.

not a fan of these default controls lol. Z for ironsights o_O. I know CoD loves V for melee... but that's terrible. Thank god for side mouse buttons.

Game looks gorgeous outside of low poly models (them n64 birds).

Senaxx

Banned
So what is the best setup to run this game. I'm pretty new to all this config tweaking, nvdia inspector, Direct 3D overider stuff.

I'm on a i5 2500k and 8GB with MSI GTX 670 2GB Power edition and i run the game @ 1920 x 1200. Overall the game runs pretty great but with vsync of I have a lot of tearing, but with vsync on I can't get over 60fps.

What do you recommend to setup? I have not tried any ini (poolsize) edits yet.

Paganmoon

Maybe this has already been posted?
Found this in one of the settings files when testing some benchmarking command lines (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini)
[TextureStreaming]
UseTextureFileCache=TRUE
; We now auto calculate the texture pool size on PC.
; The equation is basically TexturePoolSize = Detected video memory - size of frame buffers - estimate for other resource useage like vertex buffers.
; TexturePoolSizeReductionMB is the estimate of how much we'll need for resources than the frame buffers
TexturePoolSizeReductionMB=40
;On PC, pool size only gets used if -ReadTexturePoolFromIni is passed in on the commandline. Otherwise it is auto calculated based on your video card memory.
PoolSize=400

So apparently, the PoolSize change doesn't really do anything?

Anyway, getting the following on a Core i5 750(no OC) 8GB DDR1333 and an early edition of 7970, running at 1680x1050 Ultra with DOF.
xkY1MV8.jpg

Would be fun to see if anyone else has similar setup, but with a better CPU, cause I'm curious as to how much (if any) the CPU is bottlenecking the system.

/P

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So what is the best setup to run this game. I'm pretty new to all this config tweaking, nvdia inspector, Direct 3D overider stuff.

I'm on a i5 2500k and 8GB with MSI GTX 670 2GB Power edition and i run the game @ 1920 x 1200. Overall the game runs pretty great but with vsync of I have a lot of tearing, but with vsync on I can't get over 60fps.

What do you recommend to setup? I have not tried any ini (poolsize) edits yet.

I know this is a dumb question given the thread we're in, but why do you need a single-player shooter to run above 60fps?

Senaxx

Banned
I know this is a dumb question given the thread we're in, but why do you need a single-player shooter to run above 60fps?

If you buy a ferrari you are not going to limit on 100 miles per hour ;)

OT:
Yeah well it looks nicer anyway. And I'd like to do some gameplay recording and i'd like to have the best setup so i have some extra power to record a game with the best visuals and performance.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If you buy a ferrari you are not going to limit on 100 miles per hour ;)

OT:
Yeah well it looks nicer anyway. And I'd like to do some gameplay recording and i'd like to have the best setup so i have some extra power to record a game with the best visuals and performance.

Makes sense.

This is causing various bugs and scripting errors to occur. Several people are reporting story beats not happening because of this. Not recommended.

hmmm.
i've played 2.5 hours of the game using that setting from the start and have not experienced any glitches (that i know of). if i turn it off do i need to restart the game from the beginning? is there any particular moment/script in the game where people are reporting problems?

Eyothrie

The stuttering is getting really annoying and the poolsize tweak doesn't do shit. This and Tomb Raider are prime examples as to why PC gaming isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

I agree. This game is my last day one PC game purchase. I'll be waiting a month or two before picking up new games.

Zeth

Here's a sweetfx comparison. I'm using this guy's "Darkened" settings. S-curve adjustment really make things pop, and makes it darker without killing all shadow detail. I personally really like these settings, it's like night and day when switching in-game. Shot is pretty boring unfortunately, the best ones are spoilerific.

Without:
screenshot150517qyffi.png

With:
screenshot150553rnezh.png

Here's a sweetfx comparison. I'm using this guy's "Darkened" settings. S-curve adjustment really make things pop, and makes it darker without killing all shadow detail. I personally really like these settings, it's like night and day when switching in-game. Shot is pretty boring unfortunately, the best ones are spoilerific.
Why would you do that to yourself?

-PXG-

Maybe this has already been posted?
Found this in one of the settings files when testing some benchmarking command lines (C:program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonBioShock InfiniteXGameConfigDefaultEngine.ini)

So apparently, the PoolSize change doesn't really do anything?

Anyway, getting the following on a Core i5 750(no OC) 8GB DDR1333 and an early edition of 7970, running at 1680x1050 Ultra with DOF.
xkY1MV8.jpg

Would be fun to see if anyone else has similar setup, but with a better CPU, cause I'm curious as to how much (if any) the CPU is bottlenecking the system.

/P

So increase the reduction value too?

Eyothrie

That's my global default setting across all games. Maybe that's why I'm not seeing the stuttering.

It's not really stuttering. It's a brief but substantial drop in FPS (a "hiccup") as if the game is loading info from the area you just entered. You can turn around, walk back to the invisible line you crossed, and make the FPS drop happen again, over and over. In between these problem areas, FPS is back to normal and gameplay is extremely smooth. But these invisible boundaries causing these FPS drops are too frequent. They happen to me every 50 meters I walk in the game.

It's not really stuttering. It's a brief but substantial drop in FPS (a "hickup") as if the game is loading info from the area you just entered. You can turn around, walk back to the invisible line you crossed, and make the FPS drop happen again, over and over. In between these problem areas, FPS is back to normal and gameplay is extremely smooth. But these invisible boundaries causing these FPS drops are too frequent. They happen to me every 50 meters I walk in the game.

glad im not the only one. Is this an issue on consoles too?

Red

Hm, the game started crashing on launch after I installed SweetFX, and it doesn't even try to launch after I removed it. The "play game" prompt just disappears and reappears within Steam.

Trying to validate...

JudgeN

It's not really stuttering. It's a brief but substantial drop in FPS (a "hiccup") as if the game is loading info from the area you just entered. You can turn around, walk back to the invisible line you crossed, and make the FPS drop happen again, over and over. In between these problem areas, FPS is back to normal and gameplay is extremely smooth. But these invisible boundaries causing these FPS drops are too frequent. They happen to me every 50 meters I walk in the game.

Yep same thing happens to me on a i7930@4ghz and GTX 680, I have tried increasing pool size and turning off the bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming but I didn't help and I ended up with objects not loading. Thinking about putting this on the shelf and playing RE6 till they patch the game, its really annoying.

antitrop

This "fix" should no longer be perpetuated, it breaks the game entirely.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Finally got to play, had to delete my pre-load and start over, thanks Steam.

I put it on "very High" with adaptive vsync. The game runs at 60fps most of the time and then dips into the 20-30s for a second. I'm guessing it is some UE engine crap with texture streaming. It doesn't happen with lots of action, but with turning a corner and exposing a part of the world that was not visible. It is clearly a game made for the PS360, lots of visual shortcuts which are present on the PC version when they don't need to be. I particularly love the low res 2D flowers when you first get out of the tunnel. It would be nice to have something more than higher res textures and higher res frame buffer and better fps, but we won't see a jump in PC quality until the next gen of consoles. Seems like a great game so far, I wish the UI and subtitles were not so small on the PC, clearly more console porting mistakes.

Top Bottom