• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

SOLDIER

Game runs very well on my older rig, specs below:

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1

4096MB RAM

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz x2 ~3000MHz

I only have a few issues that I hope can be addressed here, the biggest being the framerate.

1. The game mostly maintains a steady 30 fps, but while turning the camera I sometimes shift between 30 and 60. It's kind of a jarring effect, so I was wondering what was the best way to lock the game at 30 fps.

2. Alternatively, which settings take up the most resources? I don't think I can get a constant 60, but I'm not against trying for it.

3. I wish there was a way to turn off the health/salt indicator when not in use. It would be great if someone could mod it so it fades away and appears, when appropriate.

4. Can the crosshair be turned off?

dmr87

Anyone else getting crashes a lot? Like every. 20 minutes. Game runs well otherwise. Says something like display kernel stopped working.

Gtx 670, i5 760 @3.8

If you are overclocking your GPU then I would guess that's the problem, turn down a notch.

Well I finally got SweetFX running - absolutely no idea what I changed. . .So I have the frame limiter on, tweaked .ini to up it to 59 frames. I'm definitely noticing either slowdown or stuttering, specifically where there are tons of npcs on screen. I've already turned shadows to high and AO to low - anything else people recommend? Or is this just the stuttering?

Some people have mentioned turning Post Processing off - I only see normal and alternative, I'm hoping normal is fine. Though I've been seeing some screenshots with some awfully clear backgrounds.

JRW

Well I have a folder called temp but not Temporary. All it has is an empty Nvidia folder that was modified on the 25th (the date I got these new beta drivers). Although on the main C page it says it was last modified 9/13/12.

I figured it was a long shot but your symptoms are very similar to what I had going on earlier this month and turned out to be this virus, even when sitting idle at desktop the screen would randomly go black followed by a driver recovery message.

I also had a suspicious program installed called "Setup version 1.0" , I uninstalled that , Deleted C:\Temporary and haven't had a single crash since.

rVPrm12.jpg

1SIZGzP.jpg

5hbrD3l.jpg

Redx508

yep thats iehighutil.exe

Kill the process in task manager, delete temporary folder on C:\. Restart computer.

Also delete any related registry keys ig.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Good thing it did not kill your card

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah I don't have any of that stuff from what I can tell. The only thing close to temporary I can find is that basic temp folder at the front of my C drive but I don't have that program or process.

Pavaloo

So I downloaded and installed this from Steam, and when I try and launch it I get an error that says

"D:\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe

An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist."

Then I get a steam error saying steam failed to load the game due to an unknown error.

I can't figure out what to do at all :/ this is increasingly frustrating.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Guys, when editing the Xengine file, do you have to set it to Read Only??? or does it matter?

You shouldn't need to worry about the settings changing unless you go poking about the options menu again.

So I downloaded and installed this from Steam, and when I try and launch it I get an error that says

"D:\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe

An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist."

Then I get a steam error saying steam failed to load the game due to an unknown error.

I can't figure out what to do at all :/

Back up your steamapps folder (just cut/paste it out of the way) and reinstall Steam.

XenoRaven

Well the good news is the blue flashing isn't an issue with Bioshock Infinite. The bad news is it is affecting Bioshock Infinite and all of my other games.

EDIT: I think it's my SLI bridge.

Pavaloo

Thanks, I'll try that, JaseC. I don't have any screenshots so that shouldn't be a problem. Now I just have to wait an hour for these files to transfer over..

edit: nevermind it jumped to 20 minutes lol

1440*900 19"
i5 750 @ 3.8 GHz
4GB DDR3 1600
GTX 670 2GB

DX11 Ultra + DOF
98.99 avg fps, 25.64 min fps, 210.48 max fps, Overall

I love my new 670. So much better than the 460.

Eyothrie

I wish I didn't care about all of this UE3 patented streaming engine™ stuttering thats happening every 10 seconds. I wish I wasn't as picky as I am. But as it is, I can't stand it. Its distracting and unplayable to me. I have a decent rig, and its just unacceptable.

680 2GB
i73820 @ 4.1
16GB ram

I'm gonna wait for a fix. And if it doesn't come, oh well. I'll probably have already moved on.

SoundLad

Holy smokes, with all settings at ultra par shadows very high and normal post precessing, I'm seeing 2018Mb VRAM usage out of my 680 on some levels! This is at 1920x1080

MGrant

i5 2500k @4.3 GHz
560Ti

Getting pretty smooth framerates, 45-60 at 1080p, all options at least high except shadows and DoF set to normal, No AA. Some dips every now and then. Turning on DoF and ultra shadows drops the framerate to 30, but I didn't like the effect anyway.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The more I hear about this sweetfx the less I like it.'like more power to you to tune the game that works for your system, but there's a limit to futzing to things to where that's the experience that the developers didn't intend. It might be your purchase and product but its their game that they want you to experience either visually/aurally in their intended capacity.

Can somone explain what I'm doing wrong and explain it to me like I'm Simple Jack?
Okay, so every time I go to start the game I get this message from Steam:

Your video drivers appear to be out of date and can cause problems if you choose to continue and run the game. We strongly recommend that you follow the linke below and update your video drivers to the latest version available from your driver vendor.

Your driver details:

OS version: Windows
Description: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series
Version: 8.17.10.1114

Okay, for starters, the game runs fine, but, for all I know, I could have video drivers from 2010. I spent about two plus hours on AMD's site meticulously watching the how to videos on how to install new driver updates. I first tried doing it manually following the instructions on how to download the new driver, uninstall the old ones and install the new one.

So, okay, I have an ASUS G73J. The operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium and it says my system type is a 64-bit Operating Sytem. In the Device Manager it says I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series. So, following the step-by-step video I go try to manually find the driver update.

This is where I may have fucked up. There's four drop down boxes.

The first drop down box asks me to select the type of system I have.
The options are desktop graphics, notebook graphics, tv tuner products, workstation graphics, intergrated motherboard graphics, embedded graphics and Mac graphics. Still with me? Okay. The step-by-step video doesn't explain what any of these fucking mean, but, since the guy in the video has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5700 series, he says he will select desktop graphics. So that's what I did.

The rest of the drop down boxes are self explanatory. I have a Radeon HD series, a Radeon HD 5xxx series and Windows 7 64-bit operating system.

Click next and I go to the driver update page. Cool. There's a download link that reads:
Catalyst Software Suite Revison version 13.1 released on 1/17/2013. Description reads:

Package contains the following graphics drivers and dependent/required software for the products specified in the current version's official release notes for the 64 bit version of Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8:
Display Driver ver. 9.012
OpenCL(tm) Driver ver. 10.0.1084.4
Catalyst Control Center ver. 2012.1219.1520.27485

I follow the instructions to download the driver update, uninstall my exisiting drivers and download the new drivers after a system reboot. I patted myself on the back, because I thought I had this thing figured out and followed all the instructional videos and even took notes before I did anything.

Same message from Steam.

When that didn't work, I downloaded the auto detect and install application from AMD to try to automatically find the driver updates and repeated the process. It still didn't work.

I don't know what to do. I mean the game runs fine and looks beautiful, but it bothers me that I apparently don't have the latest graphic drivers. Like I said, I could be playing with drivers from 2010 for all I know. I don't even know what a BioS is, so I hope it's not that and I don't want to spend another two hours researching it and I don't want to risk fucking up my PC if the game runs fine.

Am I stupid or something or is AMD/ATI driver support always this dense or hard to follow? It just annoys me that I thought I followed their instructions to the T and still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

When it comes to PC gaming, sometimes I feel like the old guy at the office who still doesn't know how email works. I'm sure I probably sound like a complete idiot to you PC guys, but any help would be appreciated.

Why do so many people with good gpu's put shadows to very high? Does it have something to do with bad lod of some shadows when you approach them?

I've also noticed that the game constantly stutters about every second or so. You can notice it by not moving your mouse and just holding down a movement key to see the jerk every once a second.

scitek

Why do so many people with good gpu's put shadows to very high? Does it have something to do with bad lod of some shadows when you approach them?

I've also noticed that the game constantly stutters about every second or so. You can notice it by not moving your mouse and just holding down a movement key to see the jerk every once a second.

For whatever reason, I was dropping to 50fps with shadows at Ultra, and the only difference is "extra filtering." I did a screen comparison and literally saw no difference between Very High and Ultra, but at Very High, I never drop below 60fps.

I'm definitely not experiencing as much stutter after changing bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming from True to False but I don't know if it will cause any other ill effects.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/BioShock_Infinite#Stuttering_during_gameplay

Someone on the steam forum said this:

This will work, but not indefinitely. More than likely you will be stuck zoning from an area that the game was not able to dynamically spawn an event in, due to that setting being turned off. Happened to me tonight. Setting it back to "true" fixed it, and I was lucky that having to reload from the last checkpoint didn't put me more than 2 minutes behind where I left off. Sucks because I was stutter free and it was glorious.

:(

JRW

Yup, turning off backgroundlevelstreaming breaks the game. You actually can't leave Chen's gunsmith if you have it disabled.

Well that's disappointing, I was actually enjoying the game for the last hour not having to worry about stutter lol.

Hopefully they address it with a proper fix / patch then.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
So backgroundlevelstreaming breaks the game and Poolsize doesn't do anything? Any other options, or is it time to wait for a patch?

If textures are the issue I wonder what's going on, considering they don't seem to be anything special (at least technically). I'm assuming noone has cracked open the game files yet? Maybe full-res uncompressed normals were used or some similar resource hog.

RobbieH

3570k @ 4.5, 7950 @ 1100/1400. With everything set to ultra at 1080p it was running perfectly apart from the widely reported stuttering. As soon as I started downsampling from 1440p the framerate dropped to 30 and never went higher. Turned shadows, post processing and AO down a notch and it's back up to 60. I do get very brief, random drops but it's worth it for the increased IQ. The only other issue I've had is if I change the resolution from 1080 to 1440 or vice versa the game will crash at the next loading screen. If I do it mid-game and then quit it'll crash while exiting. But who cares when the game is so goddamn gorgeous; shame about the HUD, though:

seldead

So backgroundlevelstreaming breaks the game and Poolsize doesn't do anything? Any other options, or is it time to wait for a patch?

If textures are the issue I wonder what's going on, considering they don't seem to be anything special (at least technically). I'm assuming noone has cracked open the game files yet? Maybe full-res uncompressed normals were used or some similar resource hog.

That's interesting poolsize doesn't do anything, swear my stuttering decreased. Maybe that was just from switching to d3doverrider instead of ingame vsync though

aasoncott

For the handful of people playing on the GTX 260, I'm currently playing at 720p with these settings (if I just set it to "medium" I found the frame dips were too low):

Antialiasing: On
Texture detail: Low
Texture filtering: Normal
Dynamic shadows: Normal
Postprocessing: Normal
Light shafts: On
Ambient occlusion: Off
Object LOD: Normal

Average / Min / Max / Scene Name
96.97 / 40.64 / 227.54 / Welcome Center
71.73 / 36.65 / 156.9 / Town Center
64.17 / 42.69 / 109.41 / Raffle
84.44 / 43.81 / 204.27 / Monument Island
82.42 / 21.5 / 227.54 / Overall

Obviously I have some more experimenting to do, but if nothing else this should put some people at ease; with a bit of tweaking, the GTX 260 can still keep up.

So pool size does nadda?

Should i change it back to 400 then?

I'm running an EVGA 570 SC, and i have it set to 1024 atm. I did have min/max frame set to 59 and 61 as well.

1440*900 19"
i5 750 @ 3.8 GHz
4GB DDR3 1600
GTX 670 2GB

DX11 Ultra + DOF
98.99 avg fps, 25.64 min fps, 210.48 max fps, Overall

I love my new 670. So much better than the 460.

Correct me If I'm wrong, but are you playing with that set up on a 19" monitor running at 1440x900 resolution?

Your specs seem like major overkill for that res. I would highly suggesting in investing in a monitor with at least a 1920 x 1080 res. The difference would be glorious.

Installing these should stop Steam from complaining.

Oh thank you based computer genius. No, seriously thank you from someone who doesn't know shit about PC gaming. Downloading the 13.3 vs. beta drivers did the trick. Only complaint, and this is minor (though slightly annoying), but the link you directed me to installed about four different programs on my PC. Did a system restore to wipe those off my PC and then went to the AMD site and downloaded the 13.3 beta drivers from there and I don't get the Steam error message anymore and I've got everything jacked up to Ultra now and the game plays great without the weird graphical effects I was getting before updating the drivers.

Now to sleep since it's 4 a.m. Any other game, I would have just said fuck it, but I want to experience Infinite the best I can. Even replayed the opening chapter just to get a feel for the ultra settings and it works great.

Now maybe this weekend I can actually put some time into the game.

GODDAMMIT. The game doesn't want to load
the Bull Yard level.
It might have something to do with me turning off background streaming. I Don't want to play through 12 minutes from my last autosave again.

FUCK, I'm so mad

Edit: Ok I turned background streaming back on and the level loaded.

jaosobno

So I'm playing Bioshock on:

Core i5 2500
MSI GTX560Ti 2 GB (Twin Frozr II)
8 GB DDR3

And it mostly plays 60+ fps. However, every now and then the game chugs for a brief moment when loading new piece of level or when I look in certain directions. As I said, it happens only for a short moment, but it's extremely annoying.

Also, adaptive V-Sync doesn't work at all and it seems to blocks in-game V-Sync option completely.

Speaking of V-Sync, even when I disable adaptive V-Sync in drivers and enable it in-game, it feels awful whenever it activates (switching from 60 to 30 fps). My only guess is that, whenever V-Sync fires off, frame latency increases sharply so the entire game feels laggy.

mileS

Object level of detail high and ultra give the same fps for me. I've tried them both multiple times and I can't even notice a difference. The clouds change slightly? I'm not sure.

smuf

I'm getting locked 60fps at 1080p with everything on max except for shadows on my GTX 660. The ini tweak in the OP seems to have fixed the terrible stuttering I had at first.

leng jai

The stuttering is getting really annoying and the poolsize tweak doesn't do shit. This and Tomb Raider are prime examples as to why PC gaming isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

Top Bottom