• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second Coming of Jesus (aka Super Paper Mario) slated for April 9th

Fireblend

Banned
Bartman3010 said:
I really didnt enjoy Paper Mario TTYD

Really? I was literally hooked to that game until I beat it. It's probably the RPG that has taken me the less time to beat because of how addicting it was :p

later

A new short preview:

Nintendo threw a little shindig last night, and I went to sample the company's upcoming wares. The games Nintendo showed off included Super Paper Mario, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07, and Mario Party 8. Frankly, all three games look darn good.

I spent the most time on Super Paper Mario, sequel to the excellent GameCube RPG Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, and it's even weirder than its predecessor. Unlike the straight role-playing in previous Paper Mario games, Super Paper Mario is a puzzle-filled platform game with some loose RPG elements. The titular 2D plumber gets the power to move about in the third dimension, adding fantastic puzzle elements to otherwise flat landscapes. Impassible walls and dead ends can be overcome by switching to 3D mode and revealing that the wall is only paper thin, or that the dead end is actually the start of a bridge. The level of the game that I played was filled with clever 3D puzzles that included hidden pipes, invisible blocks, moving platforms, and plenty of imposing-yet-flat enemies. Of course, you can't spend all your time in 3D; after a while in 3D mode, Mario starts to lose health and must return to flatness. Fortunately, even 2D mode is full of enemies to stomp, puzzles to solve, and characters to interact with. What little I played of Super Paper Mario got me pretty pumped for the rest of the game when it hits in April.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9688290-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Everything I'm reading/seeing/believing is that this game is a full-on platformer with only a shadow of its predecessor's RPG elements. As in, no text-based attacks. Perhaps some talking in the town(s?). The player (Mario/Princess/Bowser) has hitpoints and the power-ups help fill those back up. Everything else is platforming in the same hallowed breath as Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island.

But this is no RPG, folks. Get that out of your head right now. This is a platformer. Just take everything you know about Yoshi's Island DS (multiple playable characters that are needed in each level), increase the amount of puzzles, and add in some Paper Mario art style.

Oh yeah. Wait 'till you hear what the Pixls can do. ;)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
noisy goes on to ask, "Is the game more action or more RPG. Is it similar to the original Paper Mario on the N64?"

It has towns, shops, NPCs, and puzzles like the Paper Mario games you know and love, but nearly all of the levels unfold as a blend of traditional side-scrolling platforming and more RPG-like puzzle elements. All combat happens in real-time, though: You're hopping and bopping, not picking commands from a menu.

and for good measure, noisy also asks, "Does the game support progressive scan with 16.9 ratio?"

Yep. That's how I played it. Looks crisp!

Pipking asks, "How does the gameplay handle with the remote - creative or tacked on?"

That's veering into reviewy territory, but I'll say that although it was clearly not a from-the-ground-up Wii project, much of the Wii-mote implementation feels intuitive and clever. You're probably only using true Wii-mote functionality less than 20% of the time you're playing, though.

Pipking also aks, "Is it a long game?"

I beat it in about 27 hours, though I definitely missed a lot of optional stuff. Gotta go back and get it all...
:D

PantherLotus said:
Everything I'm reading/seeing/believing is that this game is a full-on platformer with only a shadow of its predecessor's RPG elements. As in, no text-based attacks. Perhaps some talking in the town(s?). The player (Mario/Princess/Bowser) has hitpoints and the power-ups help fill those back up. Everything else is platforming in the same hallowed breath as Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island.

But this is no RPG, folks. Get that out of your head right now. This is a platformer. Just take everything you know about Yoshi's Island DS (multiple playable characters that are needed in each level), increase the amount of puzzles, and add in some Paper Mario art style.

Oh yeah. Wait 'till you hear what the Pixls can do. ;)
I dont't think anyone has even argued that. It is a platformer, yes, and probably nrealy 90% if the game is such. But that does NOT mean that it plays at all similar to the "old school" mario games. I've never seena video where someone is able to "run", nothing that seems to show any special power ups like the fireball or really much in the way of abilities other than character specific ones. Comparing it to yoshi's island is probably not the best, as it seems to be platforming in the same way the other paper mario games used platforming, just without the turn based battles and much of the rpg elements. Thats nothing against the game, its just that seems to be something akin to the Zelda: Four swords of the Mario games: full nintendo polish, good gameplay, but not the traditional style of the game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I beat it in about 27 hours, though I definitely missed a lot of optional stuff. Gotta go back and get it all...

GotY Confirmed !!!

oh my god. I can't wait for this game. It's like the best aspects of the mario games combined.

Paper Mario + Mario bros + WHOA artstyle = best game of 2007 confirmed! :D

Top Bottom