• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Arrested Development Season 4 Endurance Run Thread of Savoring the Happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO6oArx.png

For those of you unfamiliar with the already existing thread, this is a thread for watching enjoying the new Season 4 episodes of Arrested Development at a more relaxed pace of only one per day, for those connoisseurs who wish to savor those meaty episodic parts rather than binge and likely end up needing neck flap removal surgery and an analrapist. So what does this mean for you, the responsible Arrested Development superfan and would-be poster?
  1. Come into this thread having already watched/rewatched the original run from season 1 to season 3. (And if you haven't well then get your pretty little behind to the AD pilgrimmage thread and get cracking!) Anything from the series first 3 seasons is free for discussion in here.
  2. I can't emphasize this enough: if you've never seen the show before, STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD AND ANY OTHER SEASON 4 RELATED THREADS! This is a show that so much relies on recurring gags and highly detailed/referenced jokes that you'll only be robbing yourself by jumping straight into season 4.
  3. Any material from the day's episode (as dictated by the schedule below) and any episodes prior in the order are fair game for discussion.
  4. DO NOT discuss ANYTHING regarding episodes that have not been watched yet in this thread, so no quotes, no images, no character appearances, no actor appearances, no trailers, not even official screencaps of later episodes released by Netflix themselves, nothing. Don't even spoiler tag it, you've got a spoiler-filled OT just perfect for that already. Beyond the names of the episodes as listed in the schedule below, unwatched episodes in the new season do not exist as far as this thread is concerned.

Netflix is thy humble lord and master and savior of the great and mighty Arrested Development. You shall pay alms to the tune of $7.99USD per month (or equivalent depending on your region/availability).

Sadly, the good news of Arrested Development is not available throughout the planet. Luckily there are a few VPN solutions that may allow you to get around this issue.
Disclaimer: these are not guaranteed to work, your mileage may vary depending on your location/internet provider. Feel free to post/PM me if you find any other solutions that work for you and I'll add them here:

Before we get to the good stuff, let's remember that this is a show that got cancelled the first time around due to lack of perceived interest. So if you like the show, why not buy some cool stuff to show your undying and unfettered devotion?

WHERE TO WATCH THE OLD STUFF

Streaming:

Region Restricted*

Digital Download:

DVD:

Fan-made Merch

A bunch of T-shirts
eEQC4Ib.jpg
urMVtn8.jpg
GGAjxD6.jpg
Yb8S7Us.jpg

Be aware, the dates rollover at midnight US Central Standard Time (GMT-5)
Also, the links in the dates are Netflix links to each episode, and episode titles are links to the start of that episode day in this thread

1. 05/26 - Flight of the Phoenix
  2. 05/27 - Borderline Personalities
  3. 05/28 - Indian Takers
  4. 05/29 - The B. Team
  5. 05/30 - A New Start
  6. 05/31 - Double Crossers
  7. 06/01 -
    Colony Collapse
  8. 06/02 -
    Red Hairing
  9. 06/03 -
    Smashed
  10. 06/04 -
    Queen B.
  11. 06/05 -
    A New Attitude
  12. 06/06 -
    Señoritis
  13. 06/07 -
    It Gets Better
  14. 06/08 -
    Off The Hook
  15. 06/09 -
    Blockheads

Today's episode: "Double Crossers"

E3P4Yd9.jpg

Synopsis - George's new businss hits a rough patch and he must bribe a politician to get his scam back on track.

Full disclosure, I won't be able to follow along with you guys past the first week. I'm going on a cruise with the family starting June 2nd where internet access is a whopping $3.99/minute. As a result I'm gonna be watching all or most of them all next Monday with a couple friends. Making a bang of it all, though, making frozen bananas, frying up some corn fritters, mixing up some blue man cocktails. I'll be with you guys in spirit though! In the meantime, whoever's available feel free to post the daily updates (though obviously you won't be able to update the OP, perhaps we might get a mod for help on that front?).

TUSR

Banned
Full disclosure, I won't be able to follow along with you guys past the first week. I'm going on a cruise with the family starting June 2nd where internet access is a whopping $3.99/minute. As a result I'm gonna be watching all or most of them all next Monday with a couple friends. Making a bang of it all, though, making frozen bananas, frying up some corn fritters, mixing up some blue man cocktails. I'll be with you guys in spirit though! In the meantime, whoever's available feel free to post the daily updates (though obviously you won't be able to update the OP, perhaps we might get a mod for help on that front?).

Battle Born seems like the obvious choice to update the thread

Battle Born seems like the obvious choice to update the thread
Yeah, I'll gladly do it. I'll probably watch the new season on Sunday. Then rewatch all the episodes using this thread's schedule. It's going to be so much fun to see the Bluths making mistakes again.

Ridli

Oh man, this is real, it's actually happening isn't it? It's true, is it in my queue yet? Check the queue! I don't know what I'm saying!

For the record, you don't necessarily HAVE to watch only one per day to participate in the thread. But the thread's gonna focus on only one per day as far as discussion/spoilers go, especially in service to those with the willpower to actually go through with it (you brave souls out there, I salute you). Plus anyone who jumps in to watch the season late can still kinda catch up and not have everything spoiled for them from day one. Like the last thread I'll be indexing the start of every episode day so you can jump right into wherever/whenever you want.

One last thing, for anyone curious, the font is ARW Antique Olive Bold. It's not exactly the same typeface as the AD logo, but it's the closest I could find.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I want to do 1 a day, but am thinking of doing 2. Just to get it all done in a week. Of course I won't talk about episodes in here ahead of their schedule, but, man, it's gonna be hard to do 1 per day. 2 whole weeks of scattered watching.

I'm thinking it'll be a decision I make after I finish the first episode. "Should I move on? Or restrain myself? If I move on, can I limit myself?" It's gonna be hard. So hard. At least if I do crack and marathon the whole thing the other OT will be there for me and I can still enjoy the "first run impressions" of this thread.

At the very least I'll talk about that days episode, even if I've already watched all the way to the end.

SO EXCITED! 3AM Eastern Sunday morning is going to feel like an eternity from now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So where is everyone? This place is as much a ghost town as Sudden Valley. Unless you're still all watching episode 1. I still have 8 minutes left of the episode though. It's up and down but overall I taste the happy.

Jopie

It feels like going home after all these years. Friends all stayed up until midnight to do a viewing party of the episode. Looking forward to seeing everyone who weren't in the first episode.

likeGdid

Welp, watched the first episode and will stave temptation until tomorrow.

I was skeptical about whether or not it would feel "off", but I was wrong. It feels like it hasn't missed a beat despite the long wait.

EDIT: Or the day after tomorrow

It's happening, isn't it?! *pinches self*

Today's episode: "Flight of the Phoenix"

tlycu7G.png

Synopsis - Michael says goodbye to the family business and starts his own. And the life of the family is turned upside down when their mailman Pete dies.

Mr. F

Banned
It was so-so but I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.

I feel like the format is at odds with the pacing that made the show what it is. Some parts sort of dragged (dorm subplot). Also the music was weirdly loud. Also I don't like Rogan and Wiig as flashback Lucille and George.

All that considered, I quickly came to realise that seeing the familiar faces is enough to make me giddy, even if the episode wasn't as funny as I might have hoped.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It was so-so but I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.

I feel like the format is at odds with the pacing that made the show what it is. Some parts sort of dragged (dorm subplot). Also the music was weirdly loud. Also I don't like Rogan and Wiig as flashback Lucille and George.

All that considered, I quickly came to realise that seeing the familiar faces is enough to make me giddy, even if the episode wasn't as funny as I might have hoped.

it wom't truly be funny until the second time we watch the season

Socreges

Banned
If you are down on the first two episodes, 3 and 4 are fantastic. 4 is like old AD.
Yep. Exactly what I felt. I'm avoiding reading the other thread because people are ahead of me, but it's good to know other people think the same.

No more for now. Really excited to watch more tomorrow. :D

Good luck to anyone who actually stretches this out over 15 days.

First episode was reeeeeeeeeeeally slow in some parts. But it still got at least a couple of chuckles out of me. I remain cautiously optimistic for the rest of the season.

"self effacing"

"showstealer pro, trial version"

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just a heads up.
The first three episodes are somewhat slow, but once you get to Wednesday's episode it will become amazing.

Yeah, just gonna chime in: Remember how the first episode of AD was a bit shaky and that there was so much setup? The first two episodes of Season 4 are like that.

By episode 3 they've gotten their footing. By episode 4 it's amazing again.

So don't give up too early!

Amory

Lol it's just, it's weird. It's not the same.

That doesn't mean it's not still pretty good, but the first three episodes aren't even close to the old AD.

The first episode was just awkward. Trying too hard.

Also poor Maeby, what happened?? :(

I fear the first episodes will be the weaker ones as they're trying to explain everyone's current situation. I didn't like that Michael is apparently the opposite of what he was once by living in George Michael's dorm room. I loved the return of Lucille 2, Michael "getting closer" with George Michael, that Sudden Valley is finished and the "listening" Michael thing. I can't wait to find out what was that camera crew filming and who GOB was sleeping with. I also didn't expect so many guest stars in the first episode.

Boem

Have an insane amount of work to do so I'll have to limit myself to 1 ep a day. Just saw the first one (okay, okay, I watched it twice). Like the old AD-episodes, I liked it more the second time I saw it. There was just so much to progress the first time I watched it - just coming to terms with the fact that it really is back, the fact that Michael hit rock bottom, the various time jumps.

While not exactly hilarious, I'm so happy this show is back. Really enjoyed watching this, and I'm looking forward to seeing the family get back together in the next couple of episodes. Things I loved:

- George-Michael working on the opposite version of Facebook. Love referential jokes like that that work on several levels.
- The quotes on the gay magazine
- The reporter from the WeeBBC
- Busters breakdown after hearing his parents are getting divorced
- The proof that Sudden Valley was a terrible idea, with no connecting road and the lack of internet and tv because of the communal pool Michael suggested in the old series
- The hooks for coming episodes. The ones I remember: Gob's woman, the 'recent unpleasantness' between him and Michael, the camera crew at the campus, Maeby with a fake moustache at the Mexican celebration in the beginning (although that could have been someone else), 'something' happening in Lucille's appartement when Michael gets back there to tell them he's really gone this time, George Sr's desert, and what exactly happened between the ending of the episode and the beginning (at least, the way I understand it is that the pre-credit sequence takes place after Michael arriving in Phoenix at the end, but I could be wrong here).

Not everything worked for me, but I hear the later episodes are better. Love having these guys back. Looking forward to the next ep tomorrow :).

Mazre

Just finished episode 1. Thought it was really good, though the back and forth time skips were jarring even for AD. Favorite sight gag was the mural painting on the moving walkway at the Phoenix airport recounting the first 3 seasons (company party from the pilot/airplane stairs, the church in mexico, little london, the boat/ship from the season 3 finale). Think I'm gonna watch the rest in one or two goes and check back in here rewatch on the daily schedule.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I managed to watch only episode one today just because I wanted to confirm that it wasn't utterly terrible (somehow this was a fear) but now that I know it wasn't I'm holding watching more for four or five days until I get back in town so my friends and I can watch a bunch together

- George-Michael working on the opposite version of Facebook. Love referential jokes like that that work on several levels.
Oh man I noticed that too. If this was a joke about the whole Michael Cera/Jesse Eisenberg thing then its amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom