• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Eye Samurai (new Netflix anime) is incredible.

bender

What time is it?
I caught the first episode since it is free on Youtube and my friend hyped it up. I really don't like the action scenes as something just looks off. The big reveal was also terribly predictable which is a big put off. Maybe it gets better.

manfestival

so like the consensus is that it is worth watching huh? I guess I can check it out since I have finished a few shows so far.

Give me two examples, you doofus.

OtmKDcb.png

No thanks. Not going to watch it dweeb

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It was fun to watch, but every man depicted is weak or a villain. It gets tiresome.

Even the blind weaponsmith had to submit, there’s a line where he says his best work was done when the protagonist was his apprentice…

Last edited:

Vlodril

Really liked it. Hope we get a second season. Episode 5 was definitely the highlight. It does become wildly unrealistic but it's an anime so what else is new :D

SJRB

Gold Member
neogaf.gif

A woman overcoming hardship in an overwhelmingly male-oriented feudal Japan is hardly woke. It's not like feudal Japan's societal hierarchy and women's place in it is high fantasy or something, it's the whole overarching theme of the show. Sure the protagonist has superhuman strength, skill and healing at times but that's because it's an anime and it's the protagonist, not because it's a woman.

Not every show that features a woman trying to achieve goals or defeating men is wokeness. But hey, by all means, don't watch it then.

BlackTron

A woman overcoming hardship in an overwhelmingly male-oriented feudal Japan is hardly woke. It's not like feudal Japan's societal hierarchy and women's place in it is high fantasy or something, it's the whole overarching theme of the show. Sure the protagonist has superhuman strength, skill and healing at times but that's because it's an anime and it's the protagonist, not because it's a woman.

Not every show that features a woman trying to achieve goals or defeating men is wokeness. But hey, by all means, don't watch it then.

You might have a point. This take on it could well be far more woke than the "anime" itself.

You might have a point. This take on it could well be far more woke than the "anime" itself.
You should judge it based on the actual show, that silly article trying to pump up the creator as a feminist icon is not the show. It’s true the main character is a woman, technically, and that alone seems to be triggering people which is pretty ironic. It used to be that people complained they wanted a female lead with actual nuance, well here it is and we still have people crying strong woman. The “weak” male sidekick? He has no hands but it doesn’t slow him down at all, he’s a bit of a doofus comic relief but very self reliant and capable. I think the impression that he’s weak is coming from the fact he’s physically disabled not because he’s in any way incapable, which again is disappointing to hear.

To people complaining about this show being woke I would say try actually watching it, or don’t, but then don’t complain about it based on your own biased assumptions.

Last edited:
I'm about half-way and I love pretty much everything about it except the main character. Hopefully by the conclusion I'll have changed my mind. The animation is stunning to the point I can't even tell what's traditional and what's 3D, and the violence is both extreme and subtle at the same time.

And, I would say contrary to OP's opinion, that it is "woke". It's Netflix, man C'mon.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
I told you GAF!!! but no one listened to me. But now that Hideo Kojima is singing it's praise, you all are dressing up as samurai now.

Gordon Ramsay Wtf GIF by FOX TV

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Some of the male characters are fantastic in their own right, and the female characters are far from perfect either, so that runs counter to 'Woke' ideology right? Never got that vibe at all when I was watching the show.

Loved the show but the first half is definitely better than the second. The art direction in the show is fantastic. I generally loathe '3D anime' but shows like this and Arcane do it so well.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Are you guys still assuming 3D shows are still 2012-level of animation or is this 'no 3D' in general, even after seeing most of the great-looking modern stuff?

I'm trying to figure out if this is one of those out of touch moments.
3D can be done is ways that looks bad or good. This looks bad. Blade Runner: Black Lotus looked good.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah, that looks better. Kojima is off his rocker saying BES looks better than Spiderverse.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Season finale was incredibly bad. Which is a shame because it was a good show up until that.
Yeah, I felt the MC was fairly grounded up to the castlee raid ep, when she was suddenly catapulted into deity status, mowing down legions with ease and shrugging off crippling wounds, and then strangely relapsed back to barely competent, being ragdolled by a fat Irish guy. The writers lost the narrative in those last few eps.

Still, it was a fun show and full of sex and violence, so yay!

Toots

Gold Member
I really don't like the action scenes as something just looks off.
I got the same feeling and i think it's due to the 3d animation style.
It doesn't have the grace of hand drawn animation, and doesn't convey movement as efficiently.

Try watching this and then Myiazaki's Sherlock Holmes, made 40 years prior, and tell me which one is better.

Hugare

Some of the male characters are fantastic in their own right, and the female characters are far from perfect either, so that runs counter to 'Woke' ideology right? Never got that vibe at all when I was watching the show.

Loved the show but the first half is definitely better than the second. The art direction in the show is fantastic. I generally loathe '3D anime' but shows like this and Arcane do it so well.
When I stopped to think about it, I realised that only one female character was a bad person, while pretty much every male character were bad, except 3. Most women did bad things 'cause they were victims, but men were just douches.

It was feudal japan, so its credible that most women were victims in such a patriarchal society, but eh, they could have balanced the show with better male characters. Didnt bother me enough when watching the show, but there was definitely some of the Netflix touch there.

And I agree with you, the first half was much better. Last episode was downright terrible, maybe the worst in the show.

Overall it was really fun, with some beautiful choreographed fighting sequences.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I loved the series gf and I binged it. I had my doubts reading some reddit posts turned into a favorite of ours. Left me wanting more , also frustrated that it did that. Season 2 better come soon.

cormack12

Gold Member
Just watched episode 6 I think? Where it shows the Samurai with their partner and maybe a life they grew to love.

Absolutely superb when contrasted with the absolute kill bill narrative running in parallel.

Jsisto

Not only that from what I heard and read it's filled with Feminazi Woke Politics too

I’ll admit I was skeptical at first. But this is a superb show. Besides, it’s not the first female samurai show/movie made. It’s been done right before….Lady Snowblood, Kill Bill. This is in the same vein as those. This is a revenge story. The fact that she’s female isn’t even that important other than the fact she’s hiding it, which given the historical context makes sense. You’re doing yourself a disservice by intentionally not watching it. It’s really good.

I’ll admit I was skeptical at first. But this is a superb show. Besides, it’s not the first female samurai show/movie made. It’s been done right before….Lady Snowblood, Kill Bill. This is in the same vein as those. This is a revenge story. The fact that she’s female isn’t even that important other than the fact she’s hiding it, which given the historical context makes sense. You’re doing yourself a disservice by intentionally not watching it. It’s really good.

I'm eventually going to watch it. But I'll hate it most likely, just sounds like woke feminazi trash. Especially with the way that creator was talking about it, I was just rolling my eyes during the whole interview. I love Kill Bill and from what I heard and seen of it so far it doesn't feel like Kill Bill at all lol

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm glad more people are enjoying this so it can hopefully get a second season. I watched the first episode the day it dropped and realized it was a rare gem.

Edit: if like me you love Kill Bill, this show will impress

Last edited:

Jsisto

I'm eventually going to watch it. But I'll hate it most likely, just sounds like woke trash. I love Kill Bill and from what I heard and seen of it so far it doesn't feel like Kill Bill at all lol
Trust me, man. I hate the same kind of stuff that you’re talking about, but this isn’t that at all. You're letting outside influences taint your potential enjoyment of a really good show. I feel like we see eye to eye on quite a few things based on what I’ve seen of you on this forum. I suggest you just stop listening to what idiots online(most of whom probably haven't even watched it 😂) have to say about this and just come to your own conclusion. This is a great action oriented revenge story in the vein of some of the classic samurai movies that I really like.

Trust me, man. I hate the same kind of stuff that you’re talking about, but this isn’t that at all. You're letting outside influences taint your potential enjoyment of a really good show. I feel like we see eye to eye on quite a few things based on what I’ve seen of you on this forum. I suggest you just stop listening to what idiots online(most of whom probably haven't even watched it 😂) have to say about this and just come to your own conclusion. This is a great action oriented revenge story in the vein of some of the classic samurai movies that I really like.

I know I sound harsh but I'm tired of these "Western Anime" trying to act all superior when most of them have been SHIT. Especially makes me mad how they try to jam their woke politics down my throat lol.

jurassic park deal with it GIF

I'll give it a chance though

Jsisto

I know I sound harsh but I'm tired of these "Western Anime" trying to act all superior when most of them have been SHIT. Especially makes me mad how they try to jam their woke politics down my throat lol.

jurassic park deal with it GIF

I'll give it a chance though
I just don’t see how it’s trying to act superior? It just exists. If you do end up watching it though I’d love to hear your honest opinion.

John Bilbo

I liked more of the parts not referencing/omaging Kill Bill. I think emulating someone else's work brought this down a notch. The music choices in those scenes did not fit the era of the plot. Going with a music choice fitting the era would have been good.

Jsisto

I liked more of the parts not referencing/omaging Kill Bill. I think emulating someone else's work brought this down a notch. The music choices in those scenes did not fit the era of the plot. Going with a music choice fitting the era would have been good.
That’s probably the only thing that bothered me so far. When “battle without honor or humanity” started playing it was a little too blatant of a reference and kinda took me out of the experience. Made absolutely zero sense. It’s clearly paying homage to Kill Bill in numerous other ways, they didn’t have to go that far.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

Literally every moment that uses a rock- or popsong fucking sucks. That training montage is ridiculous.

Feels completely out of place and added nothing. They should stop doing that in the next seasons.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

From what I watched from the show she is kind of a merry sue character. And her motivations for revenge appear to be
killing four because they are white old man, not because they did bad things… as she meets and lets live people doing equally bad things, it’s because the color of their skin and what that dna did to her :/

Man are sexist, evil, or retarded. Even her Saifu is indicated to be a misogynist. Not wanting to even hear that she could be a girl on the night of her goodby. He clearly knew she’s a girl, a guy with super human hearing would know her voice and lack of her voice breaking with time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom