• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Eye Samurai (new Netflix anime) is incredible.

John Bilbo

One thing that bothered me with the man with no hands was the wristbands he had. They were almost magical in quality as they allowed him to do much of the stuff people with hands can do. The wristbands served basically as his fingers.

It would have been more interesting to see him struggle more with such a severe handicap considering the time the story is set.

ahtlas7

Now I know it will be shit :messenger_unamused:
But, but
Scared Hideo Kojima GIF by The Game Awards
Clapping Applause GIF

Trilobit

Watched the first 12 minutes. Super stock racism + sexism + disability themes everywhere. Definitely made for the ResetERA crowd.

No thanks.

Did the same. I got the same feeling despite wanting to give it a chance. When a show starts that way, you know what the rest of the show's focus will be. So this is a Western animated show about how racist and sexist Japan was? Huh...

I also didn't care for the main character.

Xenon

From what I watched from the show she is kind of a merry sue character. And her motivations for revenge appear to be

Not at all, there is not some effortless domination of other characters by the leading female character. She has numerous flaws and we see her work for the skills she has gained. Do you even know what a Mary Sue is?

As far as wokeness, I don't think that is an issue at all here. They never push contemporary political messages at the expense of immersion in the world they created. Sure it takes place in Japan at a time where it would impossible not to come off progressive even seen through the most current conservative viewpoint. OK the cast is filled with all the current check boxes they could add while staying faithful to the era, but that kinda make sense the people were considered abnormal would all be around each other on the fringe of society. It makes sense.

Overall I think it's a great series with a flawed ending. The action is amazing and I think the story and direction also are also incredible. But I think my favorite thing is the restraint in the writing, I never feel like the show is pandering to me or my emotions.

Like the fact her being a woman wasn't revealed to everyone is great. Nowadays characters are secret identity whores and give that shit out like it's nothing since it's a easy emotional pay out for the audience.

There are two parts of the show that do really bug me.

They first is her personality change with her husband to create conflict and ruin the relationship. She turn into an asshole who belittled him, it just did play well with me going by what I saw of the character. Bad Choice.

The Second was at the end with the Princess. Fine, having her realize the power she can hold and use in her current position to realize her own ambition. But they didn't have to turn the Swordsman into a complete opposite wanting to run away to highlight how strong she is, fucking trash moment. Again ending this relationship could have been handled so much better while respecting both characters, this is prob the most "woke" thing in the show.

The ending itself was real a letdown. Too neat, too tidy for an all out war. I get they wanted to go out with something big, but then do that or make the fight between her Mizu and Fowler battle more memorable than what we got. BUt not bad enough to spoil what I enjoiy like Game of Thrones.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Not at all, there is not some effortless domination of other characters by the leading female character. She has numerous flaws and we see her work for the skills she has gained. Do you even know what a Mary Sue is?

As far as wokeness, I don't think that is an issue at all here. They never push contemporary political messages at the expense of immersion in the world they created. Sure it takes place in Japan at a time where it would impossible not to come off progressive even seen through the most current conservative viewpoint. OK the cast is filled with all the current check boxes they could add while staying faithful to the era, but that kinda make sense the people were considered abnormal would all be around each other on the fringe of society. It makes sense.

Overall I think it's a great series with a flawed ending. The action is amazing and I think the story and direction also are also incredible. But I think my favorite thing is the restraint in the writing, I never feel like the show is pandering to me or my emotions.

Like the fact her being a woman wasn't revealed to everyone is great. Nowadays characters are secret identity whores and give that shit out like it's nothing since it's a easy emotional pay out for the audience.

There are two parts of the show that do really bug me.

They first is her personality change with her husband to create conflict and ruin the relationship. She turn into an asshole who belittled him, it just did play well with me going by what I saw of the character. Bad Choice.

The Second was at the end with the Princess. Fine, having her realize the power she can hold and use in her current position to realize her own ambition. But they didn't have to turn the Swordsman into a complete opposite wanting to run away to highlight how strong she is, fucking trash moment. Again ending this relationship could have been handled so much better while respecting both characters, this is prob the most "woke" thing in the show.

The ending itself was real a letdown. Too neat, too tidy for an all out war. I get they wanted to go out with something big, but then do that or make the fight between her Mizu and Fowler battle more memorable than what we got. BUt not bad enough to spoil what I enjoiy like Game of Thrones.
Thats fair. Still think its plenty woke, to the detriment of the show. Its great but could have been awesome with only a few slight changes. Its not the usual "we have to kill the patriarchy" in your face wokeness, its woke still.

- Every man is a cunt, dump or without ambition in one way or the other.
- She learns how to fight by watching others, all alone and bests people doing nothing but train their whole life in ideal conditions - not explained how that came to be.
- She can do physical acts no one is shown to be able to do, doesn't fit the world building
- There was no need to have her husband betray her, betrayal of her mother would have hit even harder and made more sense - but oh no can't beat a man in a fight and hurt his feelings :/
- The princes and her beloved Samurai spontaneously switch characters, out of no where. A perfect role reversal, everything these two characters did the whole season is flipped on its head to make the princess the strong ambitions leader and him the stay at home dad. Give me a fucking break.
- I always thought the revenge plot would get flashed out, but no - the main char. just hates old white man with a passion. Not people who hate her for what she is, because that would include woman. Just white man.
- etc.
- I actually turned Netflix off after the scene on the bridge, what a shitty way to knock down the man who was only portrayed partially to be a cunt (infidelity).

jason10mm

Gold Member
I liked the show but I feel like they lost the focus on the main character towards the end and she just flip-flopped all over in skill. I wish it turned out she WAS possessed by a demon like the puppet play suggests, or that it was the meteor sword that gave her the edge, by the end the sword was largely meaningless. And while it is nit-picky, it really irked me that she was basically a 90 pound very slight woman, made absolutely NO EFFORT to disguise herself beyond the yellow glasses and choice of robe, yet she seemed to be able to effortless pass as a man. No to mention they imply she is weighed down with those wrist and ankle plates yet she is still waif thin. And where did that spear thing even come from? Anyway, that stuff was the bridge too far for me. Still, be interesting how they depict
London in season 2

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
She’s absolutely a Mary Sue and the show hammers woke themes throughout the first episode.

Media has gotten so bad that anything less than an 11 is considered “not woke”. This is a 10.5 on the Resetera scale.

She’s absolutely a Mary Sue and the show hammers woke themes throughout the first episode.

Media has gotten so bad that anything less than an 11 is considered “not woke”. This is a 10.5 on the Resetera scale.

It’s honestly very interesting to see the split on whether the show is woke.

It’s funny because I feel just the opposite, that the show is mostly fine and about a 2 on the wokeness scale, but that’s enough to trigger some people to defcon omega for some silly reason. What are the ‘woke themes’ it ‘hammers’ all throughout the first episode? I thought you didn’t even finish it dude?

SJRB

Gold Member
I liked the show but I feel like they lost the focus on the main character towards the end and she just flip-flopped all over in skill. I wish it turned out she WAS possessed by a demon like the puppet play suggests, or that it was the meteor sword that gave her the edge, by the end the sword was largely meaningless. And while it is nit-picky, it really irked me that she was basically a 90 pound very slight woman, made absolutely NO EFFORT to disguise herself beyond the yellow glasses and choice of robe, yet she seemed to be able to effortless pass as a man. No to mention they imply she is weighed down with those wrist and ankle plates yet she is still waif thin. And where did that spear thing even come from? Anyway, that stuff was the bridge too far for me. Still, be interesting how they depict
London in season 2

Yeah they kind of forgot about the sword halfway through the season, didn’t they.

Heavily implied to be special but turns out it’s just another sword, and when it breaks she just shrugs it off? Felt like there was missing some lore or something, it missed closure.

It’s been about 8 years since I have watched any anime, and finishing this has me craving more. It’s really well done, and as the OP mentioned the characters are great.

Only thing that bothered me really is that the main character kept getting extremely hurt leading up to each main fight.

People look and yearn to be bothered by “woke” but I didn’t notice shit except the main character was ambiguous, but the story around that is stellar.

Edit: I also didn’t like how the Fowler stuff ended, but it is what it is since the next destination looks enticing. It’s not perfect by any means but it was enjoyable and I like that TVMA actually means TVMA in this show.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
From what I watched from the show she is kind of a merry sue character. And her motivations for revenge appear to be
killing four because they are white old man, not because they did bad things… as she meets and lets live people doing equally bad things, it’s because the color of their skin and what that dna did to her :/

Man are sexist, evil, or retarded. Even her Saifu is indicated to be a misogynist. Not wanting to even hear that she could be a girl on the night of her goodby. He clearly knew she’s a girl, a guy with super human hearing would know her voice and lack of her voice breaking with time.

The main character is not a mary sue... she faces dificulties, sometimes fails, has to learn how to use the sword, needs help from other characters.... contrast that with a proper mary sue like rey.

sankt-Antonio

The main character is not a mary sue... she faces dificulties, sometimes fails, has to learn how to use the sword, needs help from other characters.... contrast that with a proper mary sue like rey.
She learns fighting by her own swinging a sword in the backyard, than strolls into a fighting school and kills everything and everyone without taking a hit.

Not as bad as Ray beating a Sith Lord a day after getting a light saber. But not by much.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
She learns fighting by her own swinging a sword in the backyard, than strolls into a fighting school and kills everything and everyone without taking a hit.

Not as bad as Ray beating a Sith Lord a day after getting a light saber. But not by much.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this IMMEDIATELY.

John Bilbo

For some reason I thought it was implied she trained with the blind swordmaker. Now that I think about it I don't know if it was actually implied or if my mind just made it up to make the progression of her skills more plausible.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Were talking years of mimicking the moves that swordsman who came to get a sword would display.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
That show was fuckin awesome! Loved it! And to those who think this is woke please upgrade your brain.

So you didn't watch. She trains on her own, yes, but only after seeing each of her movements on another Samurai who comes to get a new sword. And even then, some help her practice.
And she definitely takes a lot of hits and is saved by a man more than once.

sankt-Antonio

That show was fuckin awesome! Loved it! And to those who think this is woke please upgrade your brain.

So you didn't watch. She trains on her own, yes, but only after seeing each of her movements on another Samurai who comes to get a new sword. And even then, some help her practice.
And she definitely takes a lot of hits and is saved by a man more than once.
The show actually tells you that samurai who go there are reluctant to show off their skills, they would not teach it to a unworthy poor kid. The only guy who showed her something was a assassin who mocked her by doing so.

It’s okay for the show to do this, but it’s almost as much of a Mary Sue thing as Rey handling the lightsaber like a Jedi master from the get go.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The show actually tells you that samurai who go there are reluctant to show off their skills, they would not teach it to a unworthy poor kid. The only guy who showed her something was a assassin who mocked her by doing so.

It’s okay for the show to do this, but it’s almost as much of a Mary Sue thing as Rey handling the lightsaber like a Jedi master from the get go.
While this is true, the series also tells you when she attacks the first school that she uses several styles, styles that she learned from watching different samurai practice.
This is what the series makes us understand and also allow her to have several types of technique. Although yes most Samurai who come asking for a sword don't want to teach her of course, she is spying and reproducing the moves at night again and again.

Again, she get her ass handled a few times which was never the case of Rey (🤢). She is not that invincible force that nothing can stop because "girl power", not at all. Especially with ep.5 which shows us that she is not a good person either.
And yes she wants to kill her father not because some good cause or anything pompous, but because she hates him for what he represent for her in Japan at that precise time.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Were talking years of mimicking the moves that swordsman who came to get a sword would display.

Imagine all the employees who watch customers come into Dicks to buy a basketball. They have that little court with a hoop set up. They're probably all in the NBA right?

Imagine all the employees who watch customers come into Dicks to buy a basketball. They have that little court with a hoop set up. They're probably all in the NBA right?

You just do not want to qualify the character because you have issues with female characters. The story back everything up.

- She has the willpower and motivation to succeed. Entirely self-motivated she trains every night, and all night long like her dream is to be in the NBA. She trains AFTER she goes to her full-time apprenticeship during the day. The story qualifies why 100 times over. If someone can't respect the hard work there then they don't like hard work.
- She acquired an ability-enhancing sword by working for a maker who taught her how to make swords.
- Because the sword maker wanted to make something befitting the user, the samurai demonstrated all of their techniques and secret sword techniques. She saw, memorized and practiced all of those techniques for years. They didn't have cellphones and youtube then so people actually remembered names and things that they saw for the first time, and through practice she became amazing at copying.
- Even as an adult she can get better just by getting a new personality because her extremely flawed and broken current one limits her from being truly great. But she has to work to figure that out. The whole reason for her broken personality is qualified 100 times over.

Don't know what to tell you man.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You just do not want to qualify the character because you have issues with female characters. The story back everything up.

Why attack me personally rather than address my point?

Dicks employees are not great basketball players because they watch customers shoot it a few times each shift.

Her swinging her sword at nothing at night would not make her a skilled samurai.

Last edited:
Is it woke?

Can't stand woke virtue signalling garbage and Netflix has a lot of them.
The entire thread is people arguing this point, you should read it! The answer seems to be yes if you’re triggered by women protagonists, otherwise no.

Why attack me personally rather than address my point?

Dicks employees are not great basketball players because they watch customers shoot it a few times each shift.

Her swinging her sword at nothing at night would not make her a skilled samurai.
No one is attacking you, you silly goose, all they said was you have issues with female characters (quite self evident!) while also addressing your weak ass point, you just didn’t bother to read it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No one is attacking you, you silly goose, all they said was you have issues with female characters (quite self evident!) while also addressing your weak ass point, you just didn’t bother to read it.
Is saying "You have issues with women" not a personal attack?

Also, what was "weak ass" specifically about my point?

sankt-Antonio

Is it woke?

Can't stand woke virtue signalling garbage and Netflix has a lot of them.
It has some, but it’s light compared to most Netflix shows. The last episode has some eye rolling moments.

It’s worth watching.

To the people arguing her becoming a master swordsman. Not only did she do that, she got to be a better swordbuilder than her saifu who couldn’t handle the meteoroid metal trying for years - she could, all by herself without him noticing.

Last edited:
Is saying "You have issues with women" not a personal attack?

Also, what was "weak ass" specifically about my point?

Your point is nonsensical.

Everything she is, she worked for. She didn’t just watch secret techniques, she put countless hours in like other samurai or professional athletes would, all the while she had a full-time job as an apprentice. She didn’t play videogames or have a childhood, she did nothing but work, train, perfect and found success. She’s not even a genetic specimen, she’s strong purely through hard work.

Tell me where your Dicks sporting goods associate fits in here.

Last edited:
Glad I'm not the only one who thought this IMMEDIATELY.
Thats not what happens. She leaves the blindsword maker, goes to a local tavern a few villages away, asks around ,and immediately gets bodied so badly that she has to recover. What was unrealistic about that part was how she immediately finds her long lost mother. Which was a bit hilarious in a weird way, but no she doesn't just stroll into a fighting school. There's a flashback episode that shows a few things.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Tell me where your Dicks sporting goods associate fits in here.

Watching random customers shoot a basketball and then practicing their shooting form after their shift is an awful way to improve at acquiring a skill.

The writers of Blue Eye Samurai respect their audience so little that they don't expect this blaring issue to be noticed.

She is at disadvantage in terms of the physical (skinny woman) and she's at disadvantage in terms of skill acquisition. That's a simple equation that yields a simple result. She would obviously be an inferior swordsman.

Yet she strolls through a dojo and tosses 3 samurai through a wall simultaneously without unsheathing her sword?

Lol, no. Just no.

Last edited:
Finished watching it. The whole time I was thinking I could be watching Samurai Champloo which I promptly did after. It’s significantly better in every way.

Lots of things I didn’t care for. She’s 100% a Mary Sue. You telling me she’s this badass swordsman from simply watching others? No actual training from anyone? No sparring partner?

I figured maybe her husband was going to teach her how to properly fight, but nope.

Some of the music choices are just bizarre and completely out of place.

It also annoyed me how many times she could have been killed, but for whatever reason, she just wasn’t.

The fight scenes always felt a bit anticlimactic and seemed to lack any weight to them.

Just watch Samurai Champloo and call it a day.

Watching random customers shoot a basketball and then practicing their shooting form after their shift is an awful way to improve at acquiring a skill.

The writers of Blue Eye Samurai respect their audience so little that they don't expect this blaring issue to be noticed.

She is at disadvantage in terms of the physical (skinny woman) and she's at disadvantage in terms of skill acquisition. That's a simple equation that yields a simple result. She would obviously be an inferior swordsman.

Yet she strolls through a dojo and tosses 3 samurai through a wall simultaneously without unsheathing her sword?

Lol, no. Just no.

Your dickies associate would have to put the manhours in to practice like an NBA player, develop elite athleticism, and those associates would have to reveal moves that NBA players do. They would also need to develop the motivation to do it by themself.

Her skill acquisition is elite. She has more skills than 95% of samurai because she has many different styles at her disposal.

One of her genetic advantages is having the intelligence to see a move in all its intricacies, and her body having the coordination to do it and master with practice. She doesn’t have to be taught how to do everything, she can see, practice and do.

Also there was a scene that showed she had ridiculous strength, it was subtle. One of the main samurai characters touched her shoulder trying to move her, and he was shocked that he couldn’t, but that’s pure hard work.

It’s fiction, the protag is going to have some unrealistic qualities to keep the story going, because in real life warriors die in combat pretty quickly and their story ends. It’s akin to complaining we never saw Luke training lightsaber skills very much, he just fucked around in a swamp carrying Yoda on his back to train, how could he possibly hold his own against Vader? A lot the progression is implied. If you really want to try to pick apart the story you can find arguments why it doesn’t make complete sense in reality, but that seems pretty pedantic and silly when the story does give you explanations for these things and it’s meant to have fantastic elements.

The point is y’alls critical standards are wildly different for this particular show, weird that!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Your dickies associate would have to put the manhours in to practice like an NBA player, develop elite athleticism, and those associates would have to reveal moves that NBA players do.
That's my entire point.

NBA players don't practice like she does. Their practice resembles that of the dojo much more. Her practice is awful.

She doesn't have elite athleticism because she's a small woman - two things that put you at heavy disadvantage when it comes to mortal combat.

She mimicked the customers who came into the blacksmiths shop...which means a wide variety of low skilled swordsman influenced her poor training regime.

It's just poor writing aimed at an audience that isn't respected by the production team. David Memet, this is not.

That's my entire point.

NBA players don't practice like she does. Their practice resembles that of the dojo much more. Her practice is awful.

She doesn't have elite athleticism because she's a small woman - two things that put you at heavy disadvantage when it comes to mortal combat.

She mimicked the customers who came into the blacksmiths shop...which means a wide variety of low skilled swordsman influenced her poor training regime.

It's just poor writing aimed at an audience that isn't respected by the production team. David Memet, this is not.

The parallel between her and other sports athletes is the dedication to the profession to be in the top 1% of humans. Not just mentally and skillfully elite, but athletically elite.

Tams

I'm pretty sure the swordsmith demands to see their styles before he considers making them a sword. That was just as illustration of that not being negotiable.

The swordsmith also says he'll tolerate and help her training, so letting her watch, perhaps otensibly to learn how to make swords well (and what he wants her to do), would also have been part of the deal the samurai make with the swordsmith to get a sword made for them.

Who knew that the only way to be realistically strong is for someone to teach you everything you know about swordsmanship.

This is the way.

Xenon

I thought she sparred with his customers. They showed one, but figured there had to be more.

Besides I think one consistent thing in anime is that a character with enough desire, persistence and time can accomplish anything.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
“Mary Sue” is such a retardedly overused phrase nowadays, followed by “woke.”

Look, if you want to read a story about someone entirely unexceptional because every detail of their skills is explained meticulously and they didn’t have any unrealistic hurdles to overcome, fine. Most people think that’s boring, and if that’s the extent of your analysis then you have YouTube brain. Most people want the story of the Apollo mission: we choose to go to the moon before this decade is out. And against all odds, Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon. Man what bad writing lol America much Mary Sue.

We tell stories about exceptional people precisely because they’re exceptional. Exceptional is not synonymous with “Mary Sue.” And nobody tunes in to see the banal life of someone who just shovels shit then dies of cholera.

I liked the scene in episode 2 where she fights the four assassins on the cliffside. She is at first hopelessly outnumbered by some seriously dangerous dudes. However, she then uses her agility and the environment to swing the situation to her advantage by taking them on one by one and ultimately prevailing, but not without taking some damage herself. One might even say there’s some elements of logic and realism to her fighting tactics.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
“Mary Sue” is such a retardedly overused phrase nowadays, followed by “woke.”

Look, if you want to read a story about someone entirely unexceptional because every detail of their skills is explained meticulously and they didn’t have any unrealistic hurdles to overcome, fine. Most people think that’s boring, and if that’s the extent of your analysis then you have YouTube brain. Most people want the story of the Apollo mission: we choose to go to the moon before this decade is out. And against all odds, Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon. Man what bad writing lol America much Mary Sue.

We tell stories about exceptional people precisely because they’re exceptional. Exceptional is not synonymous with “Mary Sue.” And nobody tunes in to see the banal life of someone who just shovels shit then dies of cholera.

You're completely missing the point.

If Steve Buscemi is cast as a Samurai and he's 5'4" tall at 110lbs, then it's the job of the writers to explain to the viewers why he's capable of manhandling far more physically imposing opponents.

You CAN create a compelling narrative around the above premise but you have to give Steve Buscemi a plausible advantage in the story. Otherwise it's a complete miscast. Remember when people used to recognize casting errors due to believability?

It has nothing to do with exceptional characters or events.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
You're completely missing the point.

If Steve Buscemi is cast as a Samurai and he's 5'4" tall at 110lbs, then it's the job of the writers to explain to the viewers why he's capable of manhandling far more physically imposing opponents.

You CAN create a compelling narrative around the above premise but you have to give Steve Buscemi a plausible advantage in the story. Otherwise it's a complete miscast. Remember when people used to recognize casting errors due to believability?

It has nothing to do with exceptional characters or events.
nah, you don’t need everything explained. In fact, it’s often better when it’s not. But if you need an explanation: she’s absolutely determined to exact her revenge, she trains for years with body weights and shit to do so, she has a blade made of mystical meteorite metal, and in the first episode she drops her weights Goku style and is shown fully nude as fairly jacked. We also don’t see (and don’t need to) all the experience she may have gained off camera. This is my take so far after 1.25 episodes.

This is not the case of so and so walks into any situation and immediately knows what to do or just dominates. It’s not the case that she has no character flaws; I’ve already seen she has character flaws. You can’t take one element of her- fighting prowess- and say that means she’s a Mary Sue. This is why I call this analysis “YouTube brain.” Mary Sue is being overused everywhere when, for it to really apply, several criteria need to be met. But if you’re looking for clicks, you just stir up a bunch of shit because you think one thing applies

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
nah, you don’t need everything explained. In fact, it’s often better when it’s not. But if you need an explanation: she’s absolutely determined to exact her revenge, she trains for years with body weights and shit to do so, she has a blade made of mystical meteorite metal, and in the first episode she drops her weights Goku style and is shown fully nude as fairly jacked. We also don’t see (and don’t need to) all the experience she may have gained off camera. This is my take so far after 1.25 episodes.

This is not the case of so and so walks into any situation and immediately knows what to do or just dominates. It’s not the case that she has no character flaws; I’ve already seen she has character flaws. You can’t take one element of her- fighting prowess- and say that means she’s a Mary Sue. This is why I call this analysis “YouTube brain.” Mary Sue is being overused everywhere when, for it to really apply, several criteria need to be met. But if you’re looking for clicks, you just stir up a bunch of shit because you think one thing applies

Or people just genuinely demand different things from their stories...

Top Bottom